PDA

View Full Version : Pant legs up or pant legs down?

manders_01
04-15-2008, 09:50 PM
The reason I bring this up is there is someone who wears actual stirrups - Ubaldo Jimenez (do any other Major Leaguers wear them?). Every time I see him, I think about how uniforms used to look. Although the pant legs up look isn't actual stirrups (or the even cooler stirrup socks of which I own several pairs :redneck), it's still at least close to what unis used to look like.

So what do you think - pant legs up or pant legs down?

Personally, I like 'em up.

goofymsfan
04-15-2008, 10:07 PM
I love them up! It's a much more classic and classy look.

MeteorsSox4367
04-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Without a doubt, the pant legs must be up. Bonus points awarded for wearing stirrups. Seeing players like Bonds or Manny Ramirez wearing those long sweatpants makes me sick.

On another baseball uniform topic, I was watching some college baseball this past weekend and I'd like to know what the hell is up with the flat bills of the caps. Does everyone want to look 'gangsta'? No flat bills, no caps cocked to the side like Sabathia.

This is baseball. It isn't some thug wannabe fashion show. Rant has concluded. Thank you so much.

FourStarsTwoBars
04-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Pant legs up!
Veeck had the right idea with shorts, then they have to show their socks.

And if the sox wear black stirrups, they would wear white soCKS

Bucky F. Dent
04-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Up!

mwc44
04-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Absolutely UP! Stirrups and sani's = back to basics, old school, traditional baseball.

manders_01
04-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Without a doubt, the pant legs must be up. Bonus points awarded for wearing stirrups. Seeing players like Bonds or Manny Ramirez wearing those long sweatpants makes me sick.

On another baseball uniform topic, I was watching some college baseball this past weekend and I'd like to know what the hell is up with the flat bills of the caps. Does everyone want to look 'gangsta'? No flat bills, no caps cocked to the side like Sabathia.

This is baseball. It isn't some thug wannabe fashion show. Rant has concluded. Thank you so much.

That bothers me playing baseball or no. I can remember not that long ago when as soon as a cap was bought the bill would be rolled and tucked into the opening for a few days to get the perfect bill. I can't wear a ball cap that doesn't have a sufficiently rolled bill. :D:

tebman
04-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Pants legs up, for sure. It should be easier to run the bases if your pants legs aren't flopping around the tops of your shoes.

Though with somebody like Konerko, that's probably not an issue. :tongue:

sox1970
04-15-2008, 11:02 PM
The reason I bring this up is there is someone who wears actual stirrups - Ubaldo Jimenez (do any other Major Leaguers wear them?). Every time I see him, I think about how uniforms used to look. Although the pant legs up look isn't actual stirrups (or the even cooler stirrup socks of which I own several pairs :redneck), it's still at least close to what unis used to look like.

So what do you think - pant legs up or pant legs down?

Personally, I like 'em up.

Jimenez should have worn them up tonight. Not good.
Wolf has a no-hitter thru six.

manders_01
04-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Jimenez should have worn them up tonight. Not good.
Wolf has a no-hitter thru six.

Yeah, I'm kinda glad I'm preoccupied with the Avs game and have missed most of it. :redface:

chisoxfanatic
04-15-2008, 11:09 PM
I like them down better.

WhiteSox5187
04-15-2008, 11:29 PM
A baseball uniform was meant to be worn with the pant legs up and preferably with stirrups. I don't know why more hitters don't do this as it seems to me you'd probably get a lot more calls for those low strikes. Think about it, if you have your pants up at your knees, then you're more or less showing your strike zone.

Elephant
04-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Up is kind of effeminate. :shrug:

Only a few players pull it off, namely Thome. Arod and Crede do it well.

Nellie_Fox
04-16-2008, 12:27 AM
I prefer up. MLB should really tighten up the uniform rules. They don't have to go quite to the level that the NFL does, but uniform means the same. Whether up or down, everybody on the team should be the same. And don't get me started on the helmets covered with pine tar. Clean that crap off and look like a pro.

RockJock07
04-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Down at the shoes is my vote, it just looks badass, I don't mind up at the knees, but If I were a player I'd were down at the shoes.

MrRoboto83
04-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Neither, I wear short shorts.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/embarass3.jpg

Railsplitter
04-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Up. Let golfers wear full length pants.

Ava83
04-16-2008, 08:06 AM
I like them up-but purely for aesthetic reasons...:leer:

manders_01
04-16-2008, 09:55 AM
I prefer up. MLB should really tighten up the uniform rules. They don't have to go quite to the level that the NFL does, but uniform means the same. Whether up or down, everybody on the team should be the same. And don't get me started on the helmets covered with pine tar. Clean that crap off and look like a pro.

Ummm, yeah, I've always wondered why some people's helmets are soooooo dirty! :redneck

aryzner
04-16-2008, 10:41 AM
If it was up to me, I'd make all players wear their pants up. To me that is what a baseball uniform is *supposed* to look like. I love the way that Crede and Thome wear them. I wish the rest of the team would follow their lead.

D. TODD
04-16-2008, 10:44 AM
It's not a big thing either way to me. It depends on the player, some look better up some down. Overall I prefer the down style though.

Vestigio
04-16-2008, 12:46 PM
I like pant legs up. To me, it just seems more comfortable with high socks than pants down to your ankles. When I was in high school, 3 years ago, everyone wore knee high socks. I dont think it was to promote team unity, but more of knee high socks looked better than pants to the ankles.

Flat billed hats on the other hand.....

peeonwrigley
04-16-2008, 01:03 PM
In HS/Legion most of us wore them literally just below the knee with high socks. It looked better with our sleeveless jerseys.

Another reason was because we didn't have much control over our uniform sizing. If we could have had wider leg pants, I probably would have worn them down at the shoes much more often - its a more modern look. But that looks stupid with a tapered pant leg.

Either way, I like that players can choose.

TomC727
04-16-2008, 01:13 PM

OH how true it is. There is no other choice in my mind other than up, plus I thinks it makes short guys like me look a little taller.

On the flat brim thing, what the hell is that. Have you even worn a hat without curving the bring, it is very uncomfortable.

And looking like professionals, I don't mind the pine tar on the helmet but the baggy uniforms, namely Manny. What the hell. If I was the owner of the Red Sox, I would take a clippers to his head in the middle of the night. It is embarrassing to see him run the bases trying to hold his helmet on because it is flopping off because of his girl hair. What a piece of work.

That is all.

ja1022
04-16-2008, 01:20 PM
I would consider myself more of a baseball traditionalist, so I'm surprised that I like the pant leg down look. It used to be that players wore actual stirrup socks with sanitary socks underneath. Pant leg up was a good look then.

My 16 year old son removes the hem from the bottom of the pant leg and and catches the back bottom of the pant leg on the two back spikes on the shoes. Whatever.

esbrechtel
04-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Up because it looks sweet and 3/4 sleeves under FULLY buttoned jerseys....

Elephant
04-16-2008, 02:47 PM
In HS/Legion most of us wore them literally just below the knee with high socks. It looked better with our sleeveless jerseys.

Another reason was because we didn't have much control over our uniform sizing. If we could have had wider leg pants, I probably would have worn them down at the shoes much more often - its a more modern look. But that looks stupid with a tapered pant leg.

Either way, I like that players can choose.

I never had a single pair that actually went down to my ankles, so I had to wear them up. Either at the knee or at the ankles. Anything else looks ridiculous. Mid calf with a stripe is so 80's.

Southsider101
04-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Down at the shoes is my vote, it just looks badass, I don't mind up at the knees, but If I were a player I'd were down at the shoes.

Down on the shoes is NOT badass, it's just plain sloppy and unprofessional. "Down on the shoes" makes major leaguers look like 8 year old T-ball players playing in their pajamas. At least 8 year olds don't know any better. ML ball players should respect the uniform and the tradition behind it.

Wanna be bad ass, then don't dress like a punk kid!

Southsider101
04-16-2008, 06:37 PM

On another baseball uniform topic, I was watching some college baseball (http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=college%20baseball&st=1) this past weekend and I'd like to know what the hell is up with the flat bills of the caps. Does everyone want to look 'gangsta'? No flat bills, no caps cocked to the side like Sabathia.

This is baseball. It isn't some thug wannabe fashion show (http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=fashion%20show&st=1). Rant has concluded. Thank you so much.

I see quite a few college games and I've noticed that trend, too. What's next, wearing a game cap with the tags on? Is that Thug Culture? To me it looks more like Hick Culture.

Red Barchetta
04-16-2008, 06:44 PM
I would consider myself more of a baseball traditionalist, so I'm surprised that I like the pant leg down look. It used to be that players wore actual stirrup socks with sanitary socks underneath. Pant leg up was a good look then.

My 16 year old son removes the hem from the bottom of the pant leg and and catches the back bottom of the pant leg on the two back spikes on the shoes. Whatever.

A few guys on my softball team do the same thing. I think it looks silly but to each his own.

Funny because each option is an extreme. I like the longer pants, but not the floppy "Barry Bonds" flairs, rather the type that goes down to the top of the shoe.

The high pant/high sock look is OK, but I still would like to see the mid-length pant with real socks/stirrups come back, however I can't remember the last player I've seen wear actual stirrups.

I would love to see the Sox wear actual white socks similar to the Shoeless Joe era. I love that uni!

I'm surprised that Bud and MLB hasn't pushed for more uniformity similar to the NFL. I notice some players (and managers) are still wearing the older New Era wool game hats with the grey underbill.

ChiSox Fan 68
04-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Pant legs up, definitely! One of the MANY things I love about Crede!

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Gotta have them up. Just feels more authentic and old school. That's one of the things I love that Crede does.

BadBobbyJenks
04-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Im Old School

Over By There
04-17-2008, 08:19 AM
I prefer up, but down honestly doesn't bother me. What does bother me, as others have mentioned, are the fashion statements that are made with the caps. Cocked one direction, flat bill, do rags hanging out... I just think it's disrespectful to the uniforms. Probably the reason I hate Ronnie Belliard with a passion - he's the worst.

manders_01
04-17-2008, 09:44 AM
I was thinking about the flat caps thing last night while watching a player interview. The brim of his cap was ever so slightly curved. Not making excuses (cause I don't like the look either) but I know when I wear my super curved caps, I limit my peripheral vision. Maybe that's why they don't super curve them. :dunno:

And yes, I'm officially christening "super curve" as a new phrase. :D:

tick53
04-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Down.

Sox
04-20-2008, 09:20 PM

Oh man I so agree,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:bandance:BTw, pant legs up with stirrups.