PDA

View Full Version : Soriano Hurts Leg Hopping on Routine Catch

havelj
04-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Soriano hopped like he usually does, catches the 3rd out in the first tonight, hurt his leg and was taken out of the game. What a professional.

Boondock Saint
04-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Figures. Maybe now the dumbass won't show off on routine plays.

Railsplitter
04-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Paging Mister Foreman. Mister Red Foreman.
:dumbass:

esbrechtel
04-15-2008, 09:32 PM
This reminds me of when one of the Gramaticas blew out his ACL while celebrating a made field goal...

WizardsofOzzie
04-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Hijack warning: Did anyone see the catch Pie made in the Cubs game as he slammed into the brick wall. He came away grimacing and it reminded me how incredibly stupid it is to have a ****ing concrete wall there. One day someone is going to be seriously injured from that and the backlash won't be pretty. As for the topic at hand, Soriano is made of glass and overrated to boot.

ilsox7
04-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Hijack warning: Did anyone see the catch Pie made in the Cubs game as he slammed into the brick wall. He came away grimacing and it reminded me how incredibly stupid it is to have a ****ing concrete wall there. One day someone is going to be seriously injured from that and the backlash won't be pretty. As for the topic at hand, Soriano is made of glass and overrated to boot.

Kittle broke his back early in his career at Sox Park doing this. Next day there was padding on the wall.

WizardsofOzzie
04-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Kittle broke his back early in his career at Sox Park doing this. Next day there was padding on the wall.
You'd think we've become smarter since then and would want to prevent potential serious injury. Of course this is the Cubs and we wouldn't want to ruin "tradition"

kittle42
04-15-2008, 11:52 PM

He proceeded to break something else once a year afterwards.

MrRoboto83
04-15-2008, 11:58 PM
I knew this would happen at some point. What a moron.

Lorenzo Barcelo
04-15-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm surprised that hasn't been a Bump Bailey incident at the shrine.

Hendu
04-15-2008, 11:59 PM
As for the topic at hand, Soriano is made of glass and overrated to boot.

And vastly overpaid. Any official word on the injury?

WizardsofOzzie
04-16-2008, 12:03 AM
And vastly overpaid. Any official word on the injury?
Not looking good per rotoworld.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=234317&id=2727

JB98
04-16-2008, 12:21 AM
You'd think we've become smarter since then and would want to prevent potential serious injury. Of course this is the Cubs and we wouldn't want to ruin "tradition"

I worry about it every time our Sox head up there for the crosstown series. Always fear one of our outfielders will suffer an injury slamming into that wall.

Frontman
04-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Not looking good per rotoworld.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=234317&id=2727

I got my anti-virus program up and running, I'll check the Cubs site as well:

They are claiming its a strained right calf.

A moronic thing to do, and this proves it. In this type of cold, why try to do anything other than, you know, make the play?

hawkjt
04-16-2008, 01:54 AM
That habit of Soriano's to hop as he catches a fly ball would drive me nuts if I was a cubs fan just knowing no good can come of it. I am surprised he has not dropped all kinds of balls.

rocky biddle
04-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Soriano claims (with help from Paul Sullivan) that he does the hop to help him concentrate on fly balls. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080415-chicago-cubs-cincinnati-reds,1,5729536.story) He said he doesn't want to wait for the ball to come to him, so he hops. Right, and he walks to first base on home runs to conserve energy for the field. Not to, ya know, show up pitchers and draw attention to himself.

I've talked about this hop with some of my Cub fan friends. They see nothing wrong with it. I told them that if he ever got hurt because of it they'd have a different opinion. We'll see if their attitude has changed now.

(BTW- I'm not really clear on what we can quote or can't anymore, so I just paraphrased. Sorry if this isn't correct. I have to re-read the rules.)

DrCrawdad
04-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Soriano claims (with help from Paul Sullivan) that he does the hop to help him concentrate on fly balls. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080415-chicago-cubs-cincinnati-reds,1,5729536.story) He said he doesn't want to wait for the ball to come to him, so he hops. Right, and he walks to first base on home runs to conserve energy for the field. Not to, ya know, show up pitchers and draw attention to himself.

I've talked about this hop with some of my Cub fan friends. They see nothing wrong with it. I told them that if he ever got hurt because of it they'd have a different opinion. We'll see if their attitude has changed now.

(BTW- I'm not really clear on what we can quote or can't anymore, so I just paraphrased. Sorry if this isn't correct. I have to re-read the rules.)

Can't a Tribune writer report what is clear? Does it have to be a spin-o-rama?

That "hop" Soriano does is a hot dog hop. And now the hot dog hop cost him. I'm not happy the hot dog hop hurt him, but I was hoping that one time he'd fall and have the ball head it's way to the wall.

Vernam
04-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Can't a Tribune writer report what is clear? Does it have to be a spin-o-rama?Ever since being called on the carpet by Hendry and MacPhail in '06, Sully's been meek as a lamb. Now he's got his mind right.

According to Lou, "If he's out for an extended period of time, obviously it will hurt us." Yep, those .175 hitters don't grow on trees, you know!

Vernam

cws05champ
04-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Ever since being called on the carpet by Hendry and MacPhail in '06, Sully's been meek as a lamb. Now he's got his mind right.

According to Lou, "If he's out for an extended period of time, obviously it will hurt us." Yep, those .175 hitters don't grow on trees, you know!

Vernam
I'll go on record as saying that the Cubs will play better without Soriano in the lineup. They will play looser and not have to worry about their leadoff hitter striking out and taking bad routes to the ball in the OF.

palehozenychicty
04-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Soriano....Meh.

rocky biddle
04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I'll go on record as saying that the Cubs will play better without Soriano in the lineup. They will play looser and not have to worry about their leadoff hitter striking out and taking bad routes to the ball in the OF.

I agree. I think they're a better team without him. When he comes back the weather will be warmer, and maybe Pinella will have the balls to move him down in the order where he belongs.

PatK
04-16-2008, 09:59 AM
I think it's worse than a calf strain. You could see his ankle roll during the replay.

Jerko
04-16-2008, 10:04 AM
I don't like to celebrate injuries, but if this means the end of that stupid ass hop........ that annoys the **** out of me.

TomBradley72
04-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Have fun Cubbies....he's all yours until when? 2014?

WizardsofOzzie
04-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Yep and he'll be 39 at the end of it all

cws05champ
04-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Carlos Quentin .231, .348 OBP, .784 OPS, 2 HR, 13 RBI, 9 R (not mention good Defense)
Alfonso Soriano .175, .230 OBP, .528 OPS, 2HR, 5 RBI, 7 R

Nuff' said......

roylestillman
04-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Carlos Quentin .231, .348 OBP, .784 OPS, 2 HR, 13 RBI, 9 R (not mention good Defense)

Nuff' said......

I'd add in the salary numbers just for fun...

WizardsofOzzie
04-16-2008, 11:49 AM
I'd add in the salary numbers just for fun...
13.6 million cheaper on our side. Given it's a small sample so far, but I like what we've seen from Quentin. Hopefully his shoulder is completely healed and he gives us some good years as he's only 25.

minutia
04-16-2008, 11:49 AM

Nuff' said......
Ah there is nothing like cold hard facts to say it all. Of course they just get in the way ; )

Foulke You
04-16-2008, 11:59 AM
When the Cubs signed him, I figured they would take a bath on the back end of Soriano's contract given that he has been injury prone in his career. After just a little over a year on his contract gone, I now wonder if they are going to take a bath on the entire back half of his contract. Soriano isn't exactly looking like a durable player that will play well into his late 30s. If anything, he looks like he'll be a DH by the time he is 35 and that doesn't bode well for an NL team that is on the hook for $100+ million for this player. Poor Cubs, I feel bad for them.

SOXPHILE
04-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Can't a Tribune writer report what is clear? Does it have to be a spin-o-rama?

That "hop" Soriano does is a hot dog hop. And now the hot dog hop cost him. I'm not happy the hot dog hop hurt him, but I was hoping that one time he'd fall and have the ball head it's way to the wall.

Excellent point. I've always thought the same thing. He's a showboating hotdog. This is a guy who for all intents and purposes, was kicked off of three different teams before he came to the Cubs. The Yankees, Rangers and Nationals couldn't wait to get rid of him. Oh, but don't tell TricCo and the Nation of Dumb (Cubs fans) that. He hops to get to the ball faster, and it's just his little way of adding a little fun to the game.

Chicken Dinner
04-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Maybe he should switch his number to 21. :D:

Frontman
04-16-2008, 05:50 PM
So the hop got his injury out of the way early this season. With the talk of even up to six weeks?

Great investment there. Glad this guy isn't in a Sox uniform.

Steelrod
04-16-2008, 05:55 PM

Kinda like how basketball players do chinups on the rim to improve their concentration.

Chicken Dinner
04-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Placed on 15 day DL

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080416-chicago-cubs-alfonso-soriano,1,662431.story

goon
04-16-2008, 06:19 PM
On certain occasions I like to go to other team's boards to see what fans have to say about their team. This is the second or third time I've been over to NSBB and in the "Soriano Injury thread" somehow the thread got turned into an argument about how hustling and trying hard won't win you games... I wasted 10 minutes reading this stuff. Cub fans are fascinating.

ComiskeyBrewer
04-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Placed on 15 day DL

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080416-chicago-cubs-alfonso-soriano,1,662431.story

I'd be willing to bet it goes longer than 15 days.

Frontman
04-16-2008, 08:56 PM
I'd be willing to bet it goes longer than 15 days.

Especially if Lou can effect the decision.

WizardsofOzzie
04-16-2008, 09:51 PM
On certain occasions I like to go to other team's boards to see what fans have to say about their team. This is the second or third time I've been over to NSBB and in the "Soriano Injury thread" somehow the thread got turned into an argument about how hustling and trying hard won't win you games... I wasted 10 minutes reading this stuff. Cub fans are fascinating.
Must be the remains of the Dusty Baker school of thought

jabrch
04-16-2008, 10:50 PM

That particular board, more than nearly any (exception being a few of the As boards) is completely insane.

dakuda
04-17-2008, 08:57 AM
I read an article in the Sun Times this morning:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/899351,CST-SPT-cubnt17.article

There is a quote in there from Soriano that basically said that he hops to make the routine plays look difficult, since he sometimes does not make the play.

WizardsofOzzie
04-17-2008, 12:57 PM
I read an article in the Sun Times this morning:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/899351,CST-SPT-cubnt17.article

There is a quote in there from Soriano that basically said that he hops to make the routine plays look difficult, since he sometimes does not make the play.
Wow, that's exactly what he said in that article. If I saw that and I was a Cubs fan I'd be pissed to no end. What a jackass

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Weird Cub injuries. :D:

http://www.cobrabrigade.com/2008/04/weirdest_cubs_injuries.php

FedEx227
04-17-2008, 03:38 PM
First off. It's a hot dog move, I don't care what anybody says. People are saying "It's not big deal". Not true, there's a reason Frank Robinson, his manager with the Nationals told him to knock it off.

Second, helps him maintain eye-level? Of course that seems logical, the best way to maintain an eye-level is to change your eye-level, fantastic.

It's not to blame entirely for the injury, but I'm glad it happened on that play. I've always told Lefty34, a fellow poster here and personal friend, one of these days his back spike is going to catch and he's going to be sorry he skips like a moron... finally it has come true.

But seriously, how are people HONESTLY defending that move? What other decent outfielder ever has used that move?

oeo
04-17-2008, 03:49 PM
But seriously, how are people HONESTLY defending that move? What other decent outfielder ever has used that move?

None, because is just plain stupid. He's dropped balls because of that hop, and they probably won't be the last ones.

I don't consider a hot dog move. He can do it all he wants for all I care: 1)He looks like a moron and 2)He's going to screw up some easy plays with it (I guess you can add 3)He can get hurt doing it).

TDog
04-17-2008, 05:31 PM
I have never seen Soriano play the outfield, so I don't know what the hop looks like. I know that when I've played baseball, I sometimes have some crazy footwork going on because I'm not a very good outfielder. It's not that I'm hot-dogging the play. It's that every time a ball is hit into the air, I'm in crisis mode.

If that's the case with Soriano, the Cubs are in trouble.

WizardsofOzzie
04-17-2008, 05:54 PM
I have never seen Soriano play the outfield, so I don't know what the hop looks like. I know that when I've played baseball, I sometimes have some crazy footwork going on because I'm not a very good outfielder. It's not that I'm hot-dogging the play. It's that every time a ball is hit into the air, I'm in crisis mode.

If that's the case with Soriano, the Cubs are in trouble.
You be the judge. The play he got hurt on starts about 30 seconds into the clip

kMWWNMQJGEM