PDA

View Full Version : Big Weaver to the Brewers

Chicken Dinner
04-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Minor league deal. I'm sure he was cheap.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/04/15/heyman.weaver/index.html?eref=si_mlb

kittle42
04-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Don't the Brewers have enough starters already languishing in the minors?

JB98
04-15-2008, 05:15 PM
:scratch:

The Brewers released Vargas, which surprised me. Do they really think Weaver is a better back-end-of-the-rotation option?

Maybe Weaver is better off in the National League. He helped the Cardinals in 2006. He was crap for both the Angels and Mariners.

Foulke You
04-15-2008, 05:46 PM
If Kyle Lohse can be considered a front of the rotation starter in the NL, then Jeff Weaver certainly can crack a rotation in that league. Frankly, I'm surprised it has taken an NL team this long to sign him. I'm thinking his agent was holding out for an MLB contract and it didn't work out for him. Weaver managed to have some success with the Dodgers and Cards recently so perhaps he can help them. It is certainly a low risk signing by the Brew Crew and I hope it works out for them however, I've always thought Weaver was a punk after that Tigers brawl in 2000.:cool:

soxinem1
04-16-2008, 06:57 AM
If Kyle Lohse can be considered a front of the rotation starter in the NL, then Jeff Weaver certainly can crack a rotation in that league. Frankly, I'm surprised it has taken an NL team this long to sign him. I'm thinking his agent was holding out for an MLB contract and it didn't work out for him. Weaver managed to have some success with the Dodgers and Cards recently so perhaps he can help them. It is certainly a low risk signing by the Brew Crew and I hope it works out for them however, I've always thought Weaver was a punk after that Tigers brawl in 2000.:cool:

I've never liked him going back to his days when he was drafted by the White Sox and was a total dick with contract negotiations.

He's also made a few snipes at the White Sox over the years.

Both Bobby Seay and Weaver can go **** themselves.

palehozenychicty
04-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Jeff Weaver is not very good. But if he gets called up and leads the Crew to the division, I'm down for it. :D:

ComiskeyBrewer
04-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Seems like just a depth move to me. Part of the deal is if Milwaukee doesn't bring him up within 2 months, he is free to find another deal. Pretty decent insurance move incase one of the starters goes down.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Not to hijack this thread but whatever happened to Freddy Garcia. Did he sign with anyone?

Sargeant79
04-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Not to hijack this thread but whatever happened to Freddy Garcia. Did he sign with anyone?

Not signed yet. Won't be ready to pitch until June at the earliest.

the1tab
04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Weaver's just all-over'the-place enough that he might be a decent swing reliever or grab a few spot starts in July/August when Ben Sheets takes his annual 12 week vacation after the all star break. More importantly, did he cut that gawd-aweful mullet or is he going to get confused with Turnbow for the lost roadie for Guns n Roses?

Good call on Freddy, though.... I can't imagine someone w/ a track record like Weaver getting a call before Freddy.

Finally, does anyone else have a mental flash of the movie UHF when they hear a reference to Weaver? "What's in the box? Nothing! Absolutely Nothing! You so stupid!"

VeeckAsInWreck
04-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Not signed yet. Won't be ready to pitch until June at the earliest.

Thanks, I was wondering since there has been no mention about him. If he truly is healthy I'm sure a contending team will take a chance on him.

BadBobbyJenks
04-16-2008, 06:05 PM
:scratch:Did the Brewers sign Dave Duncan every 5th day as well?