PDA

View Full Version : Borowski on DL

palehozenychicty
04-15-2008, 02:49 PM
linkee (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-indians-borowski&prov=ap&type=lgns)

I guess that he was hurting too.

TDog
04-15-2008, 02:57 PM
On the surface, it sounds like the Indians would be better off having another pitcher close games. And that might be the case. Sometimes such injuries to such players turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I certainly am no Joe Borowski fan.

However, the Indians haven't shown a lot of depth in the pen, and their starters haven't been going as deep as Indians management would like.

We'll see.

jdm2662
04-15-2008, 02:58 PM
The ever popular "flammed ERA" injury.

turners56
04-15-2008, 04:13 PM
He and Todd Jones are the worst "legitimate" closers in the majors.

PushinWeight
04-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Our best chance to win the division is now. We need to keep piling up the W's now while Detroit and Cleveland are down and build a healthy lead to work with in the summer.

Chicken Dinner
04-15-2008, 04:45 PM
He and Todd Jones are the worst "legitimate" closers in the majors.

Agreed.

hawkjt
04-15-2008, 06:15 PM
I saw Borowski last nite and it was clear that he was throwing batting practice fastballs up there.. Manny had it set on a tee and he hammered it.

The sox have the best bullpen in the AL Central right now...time to get some breathing room.

oeo
04-15-2008, 06:22 PM
The sox have the best bullpen in the AL Central right now...time to get some breathing room.

Actually, the Royals do. It's by far the best in baseball with a 1.16 ERA, .193 BAA, 35 SO, and only 8 BB.

The Royals are pitching unbelievably well right now. If that keeps up, they will be in this thing for the long run. Zack Greinke appears to have turned his life around, and his career has gone with it...which does not bode well for the rest of the AL Central. They also have not hit at all, and that is not a bad offensive team they have. The Royals are going to be trouble this year.

TDog
04-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Actually, the Royals do. It's by far the best in baseball with a 1.16 ERA, .193 BAA, 35 SO, and only 8 BB.

The Royals are pitching unbelievably well right now. If that keeps up, they will be in this thing for the long run. Zack Greinke appears to have turned his life around, and his career has gone with it...which does not bode well for the rest of the AL Central. They also have not hit at all, and that is not a bad offensive team they have. The Royals are going to be trouble this year.

You're right. However ...

A few years ago the Royals had the best bullpen in baseball in April. Last season the Sox had clearly the best bullpen in their division in April, if you believe Jim Leyland's comments. The Royals seem to have some pretty good pitching, but it can take until June to figure out what's going on with a pitching staff.

delben91
04-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Joe Borowski > Bobby Jenks. And so are about 22 other closers in the majors!

Vernam
04-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Maybe they'll send Carmona back to the pen as closer. That's what I'd call a win-win for us, since he sucked so bad out there in 2006. :cool:

Vernam

Save McCuddy's
04-16-2008, 09:24 AM
The KC Pen

Soria is flat out sick. Despite his relative lack of experience, I'd put him in Jenks's class. The whip and k rate are phenomenal.

Yabuta has been very ordinary to this point. Jury is still out, but like many Japanese relievers before him he may be found out by some point in the season and hit hard from there on. Slight edge to Linebrink.

Mahay is a very capable loogy with good k-rate. He's off to an inordinately hot start but I would expect that his numbers resemble Thornton and Logan's by the end.

Nunez is a bit of a wild card. Good enough to be trade bait for Milton Bradley last year despite murky minor league track record -- bet the Royals are relieved that deal fizzled as Nunez began to strike everyone out as a short man. Right now, I'd say he's as good a bet to succeed as Dotel is.

Ramon Ramirez has always had big talent -- would not be surprised at all by a 9 plus k rate and effective season.

Throw in another loogy in Gobble and the inimitable Nomo and this has the makings of an interesting, talented and capable pen. Granted, they are all white hot right now, and anything can happen when that streak cools -- as we saw last season.

hawkjt
04-16-2008, 01:11 PM
the KC pen gave up 6 runs in Seattle. Nomo was pretty bad. Some of the other guys chipped in by allowing runs also.

Wait and see attitude for me..I still think Jenks is better than anyone in the AL Central with Nathan right there also.

jabrch
04-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Joe Borowski > Bobby Jenks. And so are about 22 other closers in the majors!

LOL...