PDA

View Full Version : Thome Suspended

scarsofthumper
04-15-2008, 10:06 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080415&content_id=2529808&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

At least he'll get his break! Whoops.

jdm2662
04-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Ozzie said last night he was getting the day off anyway. No biggie.

RedHeadPaleHoser
As weird as this sounds, I'm happy for him. He stood his ground with those lousy calls. Maybe a day off is what he needs to re-set.

Spend it in the cages with Walk.

soltrain21
Is this his first suspension ever?

SoxGirl4Life
Wow

palehozenychicty
04-15-2008, 10:09 AM
It could be a blessing in disguise, as Thome hasn't been doing well. It also feels like an underhanded way by MLB to get back at Ozzie following his comments on Cuzzi. I wonder...:scratch:

soxfan21
04-15-2008, 10:11 AM
As weird as this sounds, I'm happy for him. he stood his ground with those lousy calls. Maybe a day off is what he needs to re-set.

Spend it in the cages with Walk.

Totally agree with you here. Hopefully he gets his mindset back to where it was on Opening Day. Maybe give Paulie some DH duty and let him get a little rest as well.

UofCSoxFan
04-15-2008, 10:11 AM
His "inappropriate actions?" What? arguing balls and strikes when the umpire blew not 1, not 2 but 3 strike calls on him during the game (the last two occuring in the same at bat at a crucial part in the game?

Watch the tape, any argument was more than justified, although I understand it is grounds for ejection. Cuzzi is a terrible umpire and shouldn't be doing college games, let alone the pros.

This really is absurd...I mean he's already ejected...that should be time enough. Its not like he bumped the umpire.
If Thome is going to get a day off...fine...but it should be on Ozzie's terms, not dictated by MLB. Plus with him suspended you can't use him to pinch hit later (or even use him as the threat of a pinch hitter).

In the words of Sir Charles Barkley "That's terrible."

Selig is a joke.

sox1970
04-15-2008, 10:12 AM
It was probably for the cup throw. Sure it's just a paper cup, but they don't like that too much.

ChiTownTrojan
04-15-2008, 10:14 AM
He was going to sit out tonight anyway. All this means is that we won't have him available as a pinch hitter. Hopefully, we won't need that.

twentywontowin
04-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Probably suspended because if Ozzie didn't get between them, the ump would have been put on his ass. Thome was still bumping Ozzie into him.

SoxGirl4Life
04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Probably suspended because if Ozzie didn't get between them, Cuzzi would have been put on his ass. Thome was still bumping Ozzie into Cuzzi.

Thome got thrown out Friday night. I didn't think it was Cuzzi behind the plate Friday, was it?

BeefyD
04-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Actually, I doubt if Thome would bump the ump. But, seeing as Ozzie was between them, it makes for any easy way of bumping the ump without actually doing it himself (not so intentional).

Of course, if he physically shoved Ozzie into the ump, well, that would be cause for more missed games...and an instigator penalty. :D: Man, I love having the Sox and Blackhawks partnered up.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Thome got thrown out Friday night. I didn't think it was Cuzzi behind the plate Friday, was it?

No, it wasn't.

oeo
04-15-2008, 10:20 AM
His "inappropriate actions?" What? arguing balls and strikes when the umpire blew not 1, not 2 but 3 strike calls on him during the game (the last two occuring in the same at bat at a crucial part in the game?

When you start letting off the F-bombs, and don't quit when being restrained, you're usually going to get suspended for it. Not to mention, he threw a cup afterwards.

Watch the tape, any argument was more than justified, although I understand it is grounds for ejection. Cuzzi is a terrible umpire and shouldn't be doing college games, let alone the pros.It wasn't even Cuzzi...

This really is absurd...I mean he's already ejected...that should be time enough. Its not like he bumped the umpire.
If Thome is going to get a day off...fine...but it should be on Ozzie's terms, not dictated by MLB. Plus with him suspended you can't use him to pinch hit later (or even use him as the threat of a pinch hitter).Thome was going to get the day off (not dictated by MLB), it really isn't a big deal. It's one game...hopefully Jim can use it to refocus.

UofCSoxFan
04-15-2008, 10:31 AM
When you start letting off the F-bombs, and don't quit when being restrained, you're usually going to get suspended for it. Not to mention, he threw a cup afterwards.

Seriously, these are grown men playing MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL....I guarantee there are "F Bombs" said every day. He threw a cup? Are you serious? That's justification for losing a game? Give mee a break. It's not likee he tossed a bunch of bats of the field. I'm sure they didn't even pick the paper cup up til after the game.

Thome was going to get the day off (not dictated by MLB), it really isn't a big deal. It's one game...hopefully Jim can use it to refocus.

That really isn't the point. Thome was going to be suspended whether or not he was going to be given the day off. It should be on Sox terms when he sits, not for some BS suspension. When guys like Jose Guillen stall their suspension and the get clemency, and Thome gets suspended b/c he got a little mad at a bad umpire I have a big problem with it.

Saying he was going to sit anyway is like saying, I don't mind being mugged for $20 bucks because I was going to waste it on lottery tickets anyway. Just because the net result is the same, doesn't justify a wrong.

jdm2662
04-15-2008, 10:32 AM

Agreed. Yes, the strike zone was terrible for both teams on Friday, but throwing F bombs and objects on the field is grounds for a suspension. Of course, if Thome did what Andre Dawson did years ago and throw bats on the field (which by the way, was funny as hell), some people here would probably not think Thome would deserved a suspension.

SoxyStu
04-15-2008, 10:35 AM

Watch the tape, any argument was more than justified, although I understand it is grounds for ejection. Cuzzi is a terrible umpire and shouldn't be doing college games, let alone the pros.

If Thome is going to get a day off...fine...but it should be on Ozzie's terms, not dictated by MLB. Plus with him suspended you can't use him to pinch hit later (or even use him as the threat of a pinch hitter).

Selig is a joke.

He didn't bump him directly, but did you even see how many times he bounced Ozzie into the umpire?

That cannot go unchecked. He deserves the suspension.

rdwj
04-15-2008, 10:38 AM
He didn't bump him directly, but did you even see how many times he bounced Ozzie into the umpire?

That cannot go unchecked. He deserves the suspension.

Exactly. I thought he was going to get at least a week. I think his reputation helped him some here.

Madvora
04-15-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm pretty happy about this. I have been dreading seeing Thome come up the plate lately. He really, really needs a day off.

Chez
04-15-2008, 11:04 AM
With a lefty throwing, I'd DH Ramirez today.

scarsofthumper
04-15-2008, 11:34 AM
With a lefty throwing, I'd DH Ramirez today. Well today they're DH'ing Konerko and playing Ramirez in CF

Chicken Dinner
04-15-2008, 12:09 PM
If players, coaches, and managers were allowed to argue balls and strikes, this game would become a joke. The rules say NO and he did it. Take it Big Jim. There is some cushion, like going 55 in a 50 zone, but Jimmy was doing 75 here and got a ticket. :o:

Jurr
04-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Well, since the opener, he's been pretty ho-hum at the plate, so a day or two to cool his heels may be just what the doctor ordered. If I were Jim, I'd take the afternoon to head to the old optometrist. His recognition of offspeed pitches is awful right now.

JB98
04-15-2008, 12:30 PM
What disappoints me is the umpires never seem to be held accountable for the horse**** calls they make. Are they above reproach?

Jim definitely got his money's worth, but to me, his argument was justifiable. If the league wants to discipline Jim for that outburst, that's fine. But is James Hoye being disciplined for making not one, not two, but THREE horse**** calls on Thome? Somehow I doubt it.

Droso5
04-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Well, since the opener, he's been pretty ho-hum at the plate, so a day or two to cool his heels may be just what the doctor ordered. If I were Jim, I'd take the afternoon to head to the old optometrist. His recognition of offspeed pitches is awful right now.

Me too, b/c right now he look utterly overmatched at the plate against everyone. Like he doesn't have a clue. I just hope that he's running an early season cold streak that will end soon because this team needs his pop in the lineup.

It's like he's swinging a turd up there, a turd with no peanut in it. Sad.:whiner:

soxpride724
04-15-2008, 02:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3347731

Check out some of the comments regarding Thome,lol.

CLR01
04-15-2008, 02:31 PM
When you get that worked up complaining that a strike should have been called a ball you probably need a day off anyway. :scratch:

swish
04-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Let's just move on!
We have a good thing going here, don't let something stupid stop it...

turners56
04-15-2008, 03:34 PM

Selig is a joke.

It was James Hoye, not Phil Cuzzi.

XOS THW
04-16-2008, 12:36 PM
If he's back the the lineup today, he better get a hit. Otherwise sit him back down! I liked yesterday's lineup!