PDA

View Full Version : Cubune With Another Subtle Shot At Sox ?

SOXPHILE
04-15-2008, 09:54 AM
In today's editorial section of the Cubune, there is an article by Washington D.C. based columnist Leonard Pitts, about corporate adds, and how they seem to be taking over. He mentions sports arenas, including the home stadiums of the Lakers, Miami Heat, Detroit Lions and San Francisco Giants. No where in the article does it mention anything about the White Sox, or U.S. Cellular Field. However, the Cubune saw fit to put a picture of the scoreboard, complete with these "evil" adds and Sox logos above the article.

Billy Ashley
04-15-2008, 09:57 AM
In today's editorial section of the Cubune, there is an article by Washington D.C. based columnist Leonard Pitts, about corporate adds, and how they seem to be taking over. He mentions sports arenas, including the home stadiums of the Lakers, Miami Heat, Detroit Lions and San Francisco Giants. No where in the article does it mention anything about the White Sox, or U.S. Cellular Field. However, the Cubune saw fit to put a picture of the scoreboard, complete with these "evil" adds and Sox logos above the article.

First of all, it's a stupid point anyway. Teams sell the naming rights to their park, pro athletics is big business. Why should we expect differently? Second, the White Sox do their fair share of creating revenue (hence the pictures). I don't think it's a dig at the White Sox per se, just an article that only cold have been relevant 60 years ago.

kittle42
04-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes, EVERYTHING EVER EVER EVER WRITTEN/PHOTOGRAPHED is a dig at the White Sox! :rolleyes:

soltrain21
04-15-2008, 10:54 AM

They put the picture there because A) They have a ton of Sox photos on file and B) It gives it relevance to Chicago and they are the Chicago Tribune.

I honestly think some of you paranoid "little brother" syndrome Sox fans are just trying to one up each other now.

soxpride724
04-15-2008, 10:59 AM
When Wrigley sells they will have just is many ads. Everyone is plagued by it, look at fenway. I was at a Minor Leauge game last year and they had just as many ads as the biggs.

skobabe8
04-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Wts?

SoxGirl4Life
04-15-2008, 11:02 AM
I thought the not-so-subtle dig by Mark Gonzalez and the Sox hitting lefties was worse. Not that its not true most of the time, but they did do a better job against Rogers on Sunday. More accurate would be "pitchers they've never seen".

eriqjaffe
04-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I long for the good old days, when parks weren't filled with advertisements. You know, back when the Dodgers played at that purest of all parks, Ebbets Field!

http://www.baseballforum.com/attachments/baseball-history-teams-yester-year/214d1152685397-brooklyn-dodgers-1957-ebbets-field-color-postcad.jpg

jdm2662
04-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I thought the not-so-subtle dig by Mark Gonzalez and the Sox hitting lefties was worse. Not that its not true most of the time, but they did do a better job against Rogers on Sunday. More accurate would be "pitchers they've never seen".

Before this season, if the Sox were scheduled to face Johan Santana, Captain Cheeseburger, Kenny Rogers, and Barry Zito, I pretty much penciled it in as a loss. It's not inaccurate at all.

jdm2662
04-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Yes, EVERYTHING EVER EVER EVER WRITTEN/PHOTOGRAPHED is a dig at the White Sox! :rolleyes:

Of course it is! The world hates the White Sox!

soxfanatlanta
04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Where is Hangar18 when you need him?

TDog
04-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I long for the good old days, when parks weren't filled with advertisements. You know, back when the Dodgers played at that purest of all parks, Ebbets Field!

http://www.baseballforum.com/attachments/baseball-history-teams-yester-year/214d1152685397-brooklyn-dodgers-1957-ebbets-field-color-postcad.jpg

I don't have a digital image to share, but I have seen pictures of Fenway Park when the Green Monster wasn't green but filled with ads.

scarsofthumper
04-15-2008, 02:32 PM

LOL Schaefer.

eriqjaffe
04-15-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't have a digital image to share, but I have seen pictures of Fenway Park when the Green Monster wasn't green but filled with ads.Like this?

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/al/fen700.jpg

Circa 1930's.

eriqjaffe
04-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Oh, yeah...I remember hearing a story (although it may be apocryphal) that Gussie Busch wanted to rename Sportsman's Park "Budweiser Stadium", but MLB wouldn't let him.

Or, at least, that's mentioned at ballparks.com (http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/sports.htm).

Busch, of course, named it Busch Stadium, and then introduced Busch Beer a couple years later.

Frontman
04-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Yes, because Wrigley would of never been named that way to sell gum......

waitaminit. It was.

Nevermind.

turners56
04-15-2008, 04:41 PM
I guess Wrigley®, the gum company, does not exist. Therefore, the shrine is called Wrigley Field (notice the lack of any commercial terms in the name), unlike U.S. Cellular® Field.

Rockman218
04-15-2008, 09:54 PM
I think it would be really cool if the people who advertised at Ballparks were to make their ads older looking. That'd be a cool way to give these new baseball only stadiums a more nostalgic feel. :bandance:(I always wanted to use one of these.)

itsnotrequired
04-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Topical thread.

DSpivack
04-16-2008, 12:26 AM
I think it would be really cool if the people who advertised at Ballparks were to make their ads older looking. That'd be a cool way to give these new baseball only stadiums a more nostalgic feel. :bandance:(I always wanted to use one of these.)

Yeah, more lame retro look. No thanks.

C-Dawg
04-16-2008, 07:56 AM
They put the picture there because A) They have a ton of Sox photos on file ...

It is a funny picture since its a few years old. I'd have to check my pictures but I think the McDonalds logo on the scoreboard changed about 2003....