PDA

View Full Version : I know the renovations at U.S. Cellular Field are probably done, but...

Pages : [1] 2 3

grv1974
04-15-2008, 03:17 AM
Would anybody else out there like to see the glass on the outside of the park be changed to dark green? I'm not in construction, so I don't know how expensive this would be, but is there a way they could just put some sort of film over the blue windows to make them appear green? (So that they wouldn't have to completely replace the current windows.)

I think this would be a final nice touch to the park. Plus, I hate any remaining smurf-blue (even if it is on the outside).

TomBradley72
04-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Not a bad idea. Inside the park there's alot of unpainted, grey metal railings (in the bleachers, by the bullpens, etc.) all around the park that I've never understood. Not a big deal...but it looks like an unfinished construction project. I can't understand why that would be intentional...it's not like to would cost alot of money.

SaltyPretzel
04-15-2008, 10:09 AM
New scoreboard.

rdwj
04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
New scoreboard.

I agree. We have a tradition of scoreboard awesome-ness. The one we have now is a sub-par at best.

Palehose Pete
04-15-2008, 10:23 AM
I'd also like to see more detail on the out of town score board, not just which team is up and the score.

DumpJerry
04-15-2008, 10:25 AM
A few more World Series trophies and banners would add a nice touch.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-15-2008, 10:26 AM
I want those blue table tops out of the BPSB replaced. That's the last vestige of Dodger blue (besides two plastic seats, of course :D:) and they should make them either green or black.

Red Barchetta
04-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Not a bad idea. Inside the park there's alot of unpainted, grey metal railings (in the bleachers, by the bullpens, etc.) all around the park that I've never understood. Not a big deal...but it looks like an unfinished construction project. I can't understand why that would be intentional...it's not like to would cost alot of money.

I agree. Maybe paint them yellow similar to old Comiskey. Or at least a nicer green or gray. Add some brick to the exposed concrete as well - similar to the work done on the main concourse.

We're not talking a lot of money here, just small maintenance items.

As to the windows, I agree that green would look better, however I imagine that renovation would be pretty costly.

eriqjaffe
04-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Maybe a few throw pillows?

GoSox2K3
04-15-2008, 10:52 AM
New scoreboard.

I agree. We have a tradition of scoreboard awesome-ness. The one we have now is a sub-par at best.

I completely agree with this.

twentywontowin
04-15-2008, 10:57 AM
In addition to a new scoreboard, I think a home run porch identical looking to Fundamentals out in right field would look awesome. Put some premium seats or a bar/restaurant up there.

Mr.1Dog
04-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Maybe a few throw pillows?

A television news reporter perhaps? The home run porch would be awesome as well. I would also like them to enclose the outfield, not with seats necessarily, just a wall of sorts with arched windows as more of an homage to the old park.

SaltyPretzel
04-15-2008, 11:21 AM

I don't understand why the board on the fan deck doesn't have player stats on it anymore.
:(:

skobabe8
04-15-2008, 11:21 AM
If we start enough of these threads, they will have to listen, right? :D:

mandmandm
04-15-2008, 11:23 AM
I'd also like to see more detail on the out of town score board, not just which team is up and the score.

Or at least an out of town score board that is up to date. It seems to take forever for updated scores to be posted. I think Wrigley updates their scores quicker and their technology is from the early part of the last century.

scarsofthumper
04-15-2008, 11:25 AM
I don't think i'd change the scoreboard. It's a simple one, becuase there's a lot of things in that area to keep your attention, between the billboards and the other scoreboards in the area. At a park like the Cell, the scoreboard shouldn't be the main and only focus. If we changed it we'd turn into every other baseball stadium that has a central scoreboard in LF and nothing else. US Cellular Field is the most unique looking stadium in baseball, i'd like to keep it like that.

Rocky Soprano
04-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I think a home run porch identical looking to Fundamentals out in right field would look awesome. Put some premium seats or a bar/restaurant up there.

That would be awesome!

I know there were rumors that there were plans for something like that, some pictures even leaked out showing a rendition of it. Too bad it didnt happen.

Chicken Dinner
04-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Ivy on the outfield walls.

grv1974
04-15-2008, 02:30 PM
I want those blue table tops out of the BPSB replaced. That's the last vestige of Dodger blue (besides two plastic seats, of course :D:) and they should make them either green or black.

Yeah, I actually emailed Brooks on those BPSB tables (and those weird blue folding chairs behing home plate), but he said they weren't planning on changing them.

swish
04-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Ivy on the outfield walls.
We don't want any weeds on the outfield walls, that looks crappy

Frontman
04-15-2008, 03:27 PM
I finally see the scoreboard as a disappointment, as I noticed this last time at the park, there is a TON of dead space up there that could be used. When that board was built, it probably was state of the art, but all these newer parks can use the Hi-def technology to make their boards stand out.

I wouldn't mind the board being updated.

As far as the "Home Run" porch, they've already considered it and rejected it. The construction and having to re-do that whole side of the park is cost prohibitive. Considering that only a handful of homeruns have ever reached the Fundamentals deck, a right field "home run" porch would have to come down over the current concourse seats to ever have a chance at some upper deck home runs.

As far as making the windows green by just filming them; you do realize that folks will just pick and peel at it until it looks crappy, right?

grv1974
04-15-2008, 03:38 PM
As far as making the windows green by just filming them; you do realize that folks will just pick and peel at it until it looks crappy, right?

The windows are up a little high to be doing that. Are you planning on bringing a ladder to the games?

FourStarsTwoBars
04-15-2008, 04:00 PM
When a saw a photo of old Comiskey on the upper deck collage last weekend I noticed the renovation of the upper deck looks alot like old comiskey did.
http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/comiskeyout.jpghttp://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/CAI/Images/NearSouthSide/USCellularField-003.jpg
Has anyone noticed this before, I haven't seen that pointed out yet (even with a extensive forum search) or am I just seeing things?

I'm fine with the stadium as it is right now, nothing other than small aesthetic changes needed.

grv1974
04-15-2008, 04:04 PM
When a saw a photo of old Comiskey on the upper deck collage last weekend I noticed the renovation of the upper deck looks alot like old comiskey did.
http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/twenties4.jpghttp://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/CAI/Images/NearSouthSide/USCellularField-003.jpg
Has anyone noticed this before, I haven't seen that pointed out yet (even with a extensive forum search) or am I just seeing things?

I'm fine with the stadium as it is right now, nothing other than small aesthetic changes needed.

Holy Crap! You're right! It'd be funny if this were just a coincidence.

KenBerryGrab
04-15-2008, 04:26 PM
That was definitely part of the thinking.

Frontman
04-15-2008, 04:38 PM
The windows are up a little high to be doing that. Are you planning on bringing a ladder to the games?

So just the upper windows, not windows like in the Majestic T-shirt shop, BPSP, etc?

If that's what you're talking about, maybe it would be cool.

skobabe8
04-15-2008, 04:46 PM
So just the upper windows, not windows like in the Majestic T-shirt shop, BPSP, etc?

The windows on the outside inside the arches, I believe.

I think the deck in RF would be cool if it was somethin akin to the fundamentals deck, but it would be just a viewing point maybe with a specialty food area. It would not actually increase seating and would not be a 'hr porch'.

Id also knock out the 2 billboards closest to the scoreboard, update/expand the scoreboard, and place the ads that were on those billboards prominently on the new scoreboard.

johnnyg83
04-15-2008, 04:48 PM
The new Royals scoreboard is amazing. HD and there's so much info up there it took a while to find everything.

Granted I had a few pops and some some licorice whip, but the HD screen of replays looked better than real life.

The also have a video board on the LF fence like Toronto -- which I thought was a bit of overkill.

Elephant
04-15-2008, 04:52 PM
The only thing I wish they'd do is take down the billboards.

grv1974
04-15-2008, 04:57 PM

The big windows on the outside of the stadium.

skobabe8
04-15-2008, 04:58 PM
The only thing I wish they'd do is take down the billboards.

Vote for sko! My plan would eliminate 3...count 'em 3 billboards and STILL maintain ad space!!!

:)

Elephant
04-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Vote for sko! My plan would eliminate 3...count 'em 3 billboards and STILL maintain ad space!!!

It would look better opened up. The view is cool from the UD. Ads are fine but as long as they're part of something functional. Why do we need a wall of billboards? It's just tacky.

skobabe8
04-15-2008, 05:08 PM
It would look better opened up. The view is cool from the UD. Ads are fine but as long as they're part of something functional. Why do we need a wall of billboards? It's just tacky.

I agree. By knocking down those billboards, you can widen the scoreboard and even re-introduce the classic shape....

http://www.ballparktour.com/Comiskey_101.jpg

...except it would be completely LED. Plenty of room for ads along the sides and all of the info you need in the middle. Plus, a nice clock on top!

russ99
04-15-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't understand why the board on the fan deck doesn't have player stats on it anymore.

Actually I was wondering that myself.

Since they had 2007 stats on the big board when players are announced, maybe they're waiting on posting 2008 stats until a bit later in the season.

It also may be a player/coach/GM request after last season. Who wants to see that they're hitting .215 right in front of their face while hitting...

FourStarsTwoBars
04-15-2008, 05:15 PM
A clock would fit great where the McDonald's ad is at the top of the board, especially since right field can't see the current clock due to the fan deck

russ99
04-15-2008, 05:15 PM

The way the Sox did the Fundamentals Deck is a great way to do that. They still can have the adspace and not have it be overwhelming. Maybe they can do a DC-like "Red loft" in either the rightfield stands or in the place of where the giant adboards are now...

The McDonalds logo instead of a clock has been a long-standing gripe of mine. I wonder if the Sox have a contract for that? Time to e-mail Brooks??

skobabe8
04-15-2008, 05:18 PM
The way the Sox did the Fundamentals Deck is a great way to do that. They still can have the adspace and not have it be overwhelming.

The McDonalds logo instead of a clock has been a long-standing gripe of mine. I wonder if the Sox have a contract for that? Time to e-mail Brooks??

I remember last time this came up that there is a contract and McDonalds had no interest in changing it.

MrRoboto83
04-15-2008, 05:24 PM
I think a giant triple jumbo tron scoreboard should replace the entire thing. It would be nice having a screen that can be combined and split into different things. I think the park has one of the ugliest scoreboards.

johnr1note
04-15-2008, 05:27 PM
I agree. By knocking down those billboards, you can widen the scoreboard and even re-introduce the classic shape....

...except it would be completely LED. Plenty of room for ads along the sides and all of the info you need in the middle. Plus, a nice clock on top!

Why couldn't the current scoreboards be replaced with LED and HD technology. You could reserve a portion of the screens for ads that changed from inning to inning. It would free up the clutter the current ads appear to create. I odn't know why anyone hasn't tried that yet.

Frontman
04-15-2008, 07:26 PM
The big windows on the outside of the stadium.

Gotcha, I misunderstood. I've seen stores that have done the "we want tinted windows without paying for them so we used film" and always, always, always the following happens.

Four year olds who find that one edge and start pulling.

:wink:

grv1974
04-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Gotcha, I misunderstood. I've seen stores that have done the "we want tinted windows without paying for them so we used film" and always, always, always the following happens.

Four year olds who find that one edge and start pulling.

:wink:

Ah, okay. Yeah, I don't really care about windows inside the stadium like on the shops and such.

Vernam
04-15-2008, 07:31 PM
I finally see the scoreboard as a disappointment, as I noticed this last time at the park, there is a TON of dead space up there that could be used. When that board was built, it probably was state of the art, but all these newer parks can use the Hi-def technology to make their boards stand out.

I wouldn't mind the board being updated.Stop being lazy and just bring your laptop to the games. :wink:

They should bring back auto polo! Roger Bossard has too much free time.

Vernam

mrfourni
04-15-2008, 07:33 PM
If i had my way, they would completely redo the inside of the bullpen sports bar. Everytime i'm in there, i feel like I'm drinking in some guys garage. Maybe put some more lighting in there, or re-do the floors.

FourStarsTwoBars
04-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Stop being lazy and just bring your laptop to the games. :wink:

They should bring back auto polo! Roger Bossard has too much free time.

Vernam

It's America's NEWEST CRAZE!

geraldfritz
04-15-2008, 08:06 PM
A clock would fit great where the McDonald's ad is at the top of the board, especially since right field can't see the current clock due to the fan deck

I agree with you on that. I do not think I have seen the clock since they built the fandeck.

chisox77
04-15-2008, 08:43 PM
I love threads devoted to how the Cell could be improved.

:cool:

tebman
04-15-2008, 09:03 PM

My thoughts exactly! Veeck's original in the picture was 1960 technology. Obviously a lot has changed since then, but the magnificent goofiness of the old board could be easily recreated with LEDs and well-placed lights, and have plenty of flexibility for ad space.

In Veeck's book he was upfront about the ad revenue the board created. If I remember right, it cost over $300,000 to build, but nearly all the money came from ad revenue generated from its billboards. There's no money reason preventing the construction of an imaginative and fun scoreboard.

Imaginative and fun are the key words in this.

Frontman
04-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I agree with you on that. I do not think I have seen the clock since they built the fandeck.

There's a clock?

anewman35
04-15-2008, 09:32 PM
In Veeck's book he was upfront about the ad revenue the board created. If I remember right, it cost over $300,000 to build, but nearly all the money came from ad revenue generated from its billboards. There's no money reason preventing the construction of an imaginative and fun scoreboard.

The problem is, they already make revenue with the scoreboad and the ads. Let's say they decide to expand the scoreboard, and tear down ads that give $1,000,000 of revenue to do it (I have no idea how much they make off ads, it's just an example). Say the new scoreboard costs $10,000,000. They'd have to make a million in ads a year just to replace what they had before. To even pay it off in 10 years, they'd have to double their ad revenue. Obviously, the equation changes depending on what the numbers are, but obviously there's a reason they haven't done it - they aren't stupid, they know it's possible.

TheOldRoman
04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Considering that only a handful of homeruns have ever reached the Fundamentals deck, a right field "home run" porch would have to come down over the current concourse seats to ever have a chance at some upper deck home runs.No homer has ever reached the Fundamentals deck. Only a handful of homers have ever made the concourse, and the fundamentals deck is at least 30 feet above the concourse. TIt would have to be a mammoth shot to reach the fundamentals deck.

comiskey2000
04-15-2008, 09:43 PM
The exterior of the park should be something fans are excited to see. The Cell's arched windows are actually really good looking. However there huge structures of ramps block us from actually seeing the arches. I do not know a way of getting rid of the ramps though. Perhaps a much larger main entrance with escalators. Either way I would like to appriciate the already attractive exterior by actually seeing it.

chisoxfanatic
04-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Did anyone check out the season ticket holder "Wall of Fame" they have outside of the ballpark to the right of Gate 5? That's a cool new feature!

TheOldRoman
04-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Obviously, redoing the scoreboard (and actually making it a "scoreboard") would be great. That probably won't happen anytime soon.

One of the easiest things they could do, which needs to be done, is painting or bricking over all the exposed gray area. This is especially needed in the bullpens and behind the outfield fence. I think bricks would look great as a backdrop for the green outfield wall, but even painting it green would be much better than gray. They could still put ads on top of the bricks/green paint, so that wouldn't be an issue. The gray looks too drab.

Frontman
04-16-2008, 12:18 AM
No homer has ever reached the Fundamentals deck. Only a handful of homers have ever made the concourse, and the fundamentals deck is at least 30 feet above the concourse. TIt would have to be a mammoth shot to reach the fundamentals deck.

Didn't Dye hit one up there, or was that one that hit the concourse and Farmio embellished it on the air? (I do recall Farmio saying Dye hit the Fundamentals deck.)

WhiteSox5187
04-16-2008, 12:25 AM
I think it'd be cool if they could somehow bring back something resembling a roof shot. A new scoreboard would be nice, as would some arched windows so you can get those cool beams of light that used to shoot into the old ball park. Also when I was little I was a big fan of the old ball park being white, it made so much sense to me "White Sox play in a white park!" Bringing that back would be cool. In short I think any rennovations should be made in an attempt to make this park look more like the old one.

FourStarsTwoBars
04-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Didn't Dye hit one up there, or was that one that hit the concourse and Farmio embellished it on the air? (I do recall Farmio saying Dye hit the Fundamentals deck.)

I remember in 2004 Bonds hit a bp ball into the well of the farthest section of the UD (sec 506 i believe)
A lot of variables in between, the farthest I know of is Joe Borchard in 2004 in a makeup game against the Phillies which reached the concourse. Also, when Alex Rodriguez was on the Marineers, he hit a homer that hit the top of one of the blue tops to the old beer tents on the outfield concourse. But nothing fundamentals deck distance

Frontman
04-16-2008, 12:31 AM
I remember in 2004 Bonds hit a bp ball into the well of the farthest section of the UD (sec 506 i believe)
A lot of variables in between, the farthest I know of is Joe Borchard in 2004 in a makeup game against the Phillies which reached the concourse. Also, when Alex Rodriguez was on the Marineers, he hit a homer that hit the top of one of the blue tops to the old beer tents on the outfield concourse. But nothing fundamentals deck distance

Gotcha. So I stand corrected.

So, again; why build a "Home Run Porch" that batters (even on the juice) couldn't hit the ball to? USCF is a lot deeper of a ballpark than the old park was.

On a side note, is anyone else just enjoying this season so far so that conversations like this are just fun discussions instead of "I'm so POed at this team I want to gripe about stuff?"

kingpin_rcs
04-16-2008, 01:43 AM
The only thing that really bugs me about the scoreboard is how the fireworks do not shoot out of them. In the old park, roman candles would shoot out of the top of the spinners and the fireworks would appear right over the middle of the board. Not so with the current board. The fireworks are to the left and no pyrotechnics emit from the board itself at all.

Didn't the White Sox pioneer this? Isn't it our tradition? The Sox should be doing better than everyone else.

RockJock07
04-16-2008, 02:07 AM
New scoreboard.

Maybe a one like in the new park the Nationals have, a massive HD screen. That would be my vote, and yes i agree with others about the out of town SB, it needs to be updated.

soxfan21
04-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Did anyone check out the season ticket holder "Wall of Fame" they have outside of the ballpark to the right of Gate 5? That's a cool new feature!

I was wondering where they put that thing at. I'll have to check it out next time I get out to the park.

soxinem1
04-16-2008, 07:52 AM
A television news reporter perhaps? The home run porch would be awesome as well. I would also like them to enclose the outfield, not with seats necessarily, just a wall of sorts with arched windows as more of an homage to the old park.

And while we are on it, they should whitewash the entire exterior. Then Comskey Park would be even closer to returning!

Vernam
04-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Didn't Dye hit one up there, or was that one that hit the concourse and Farmio embellished it on the air? (I do recall Farmio saying Dye hit the Fundamentals deck.)Jermaine yanked one foul that Farmer said would've had a chance to reach Fundamentals. I was at the game and didn't think it really would've got that far, but he sure did pole-axe it -- out toward the Upper Terrace Suite.

Vernam

asg2003ws2005
04-16-2008, 09:03 AM

I wouldn't mind the board being updated.

As far as the "Home Run" porch, they've already considered it and rejected it. The construction and having to re-do that whole side of the park is cost prohibitive. Considering that only a handful of homeruns have ever reached the Fundamentals deck, a right field "home run" porch would have to come down over the current concourse seats to ever have a chance at some upper deck home runs.

As far as making the windows green by just filming them; you do realize that folks will just pick and peel at it until it looks crappy, right?um...NO home run has ever "reached" the fundamentals deck.
and "home run porch" is a misnomer. any proposed addition to right field would be more of a party deck/rooftop.

anewman35
04-16-2008, 09:09 AM
The only thing that really bugs me about the scoreboard is how the fireworks do not shoot out of them. In the old park, roman candles would shoot out of the top of the spinners and the fireworks would appear right over the middle of the board. Not so with the current board. The fireworks are to the left and no pyrotechnics emit from the board itself at all.

Didn't the White Sox pioneer this? Isn't it our tradition? The Sox should be doing better than everyone else.

I believe fire codes would no longer allow this. It makes sense, if you think about it - if they did come out of the scoreboard, and one somehow went off early or something, there would be problems.

anewman35
04-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Also when I was little I was a big fan of the old ball park being white, it made so much sense to me "White Sox play in a white park!" Bringing that back would be cool. In short I think any rennovations should be made in an attempt to make this park look more like the old one.

That might have made sense to you when you were little, but it seems like a pretty silly reason to change the park now. I'm trying to imagine what the Cell would look like totally painted white, and it's pretty awful (especially if they maintained the paint as poorly as they've maintained the black paint over the blue on the ramps).

asg2003ws2005
04-16-2008, 09:14 AM
I believe fire codes would no longer allow this. It makes sense, if you think about it - if they did come out of the scoreboard, and one somehow went off early or something, there would be problems.plus, the semi-permament fireworks rig outside allows them to sell more tickets on fireworks nights.

TomBradley72
04-16-2008, 10:54 AM
The overall approach to scoreboards has to be one of the worst in the majors. There are so many angles in the park where you cannot see a basic line score (either inning 1-9, or basic R/H/E summary), or see a clock, etc. It's really bad.

It would be nice if someone would notice that the Luke Appling tribute on the exterior of the park/1st baseline (pictures of players from our All-Century team) has been tattered and torn for at least a few years now. I've been to about 18 parks across the majors...I've never seen other stadiums allow stuff like that to go unattended for so long.

I love the Cell overall...but sometimes their attention to detail and overall maintenance gets a little frustrating.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-16-2008, 10:55 AM
That might have made sense to you when you were little, but it seems like a pretty silly reason to change the park now. I'm trying to imagine what the Cell would look like totally painted white, and it's pretty awful (especially if they maintained the paint as poorly as they've maintained the black paint over the blue on the ramps).

If I had my choice, I would've loved to seen Old Comiskey in its original brick color; the whitewash was a DuPont overhaul way of sealing brick and avoiding doing any masonry work to repair. God NO, don't paint the Cell exterior white - not only would it look horrible, but I agree, until they do a better job of UPKEEP on existing paint jobs (black over blue, gray over concrete), don't add to something you don't fix anyway.

Red Barchetta
04-16-2008, 11:17 AM
In reading all the replies, maybe US Cellular can fork over some more $$$ for a complete outfield concourse renovation. I would love to see the lattace structure replaced with arched brick windows (similar to the backdrop on the players scoreboard photos from a few years ago - it looked like they were posing in front of a church), a new improved scoreboard and out of town scoreboard (at the expense of the existing billboards), a food-sponsored adult-oriented party deck (not necessarily a home run porch) in RF that connects into the Stadium Club and then connects directly (elevators?) with the Bullpen Sports Bar creating a RF Corner entertainment section. Maybe even brick pavers on the concourse.

I know, wishful thinking.

asg2003ws2005
04-16-2008, 11:23 AM
In reading all the replies, maybe US Cellular can fork over some more $$$ for a complete outfield concourse renovation. I would love to see the lattace structure replaced with arched brick windows (similar to the backdrop on the players scoreboard photos from a few years ago - it looked like they were posing in front of a church), a new improved scoreboard and out of town scoreboard (at the expense of the existing billboards), a food-sponsored adult-oriented party deck (not necessarily a home run porch) in RF that connects into the Stadium Club and then connects directly (elevators?) with the Bullpen Sports Bar creating a RF Corner entertainment section. Maybe even brick pavers on the concourse.

I know, wishful thinking.concourse is fine

skobabe8
04-16-2008, 12:29 PM
The overall approach to scoreboards has to be one of the worst in the majors. There are so many angles in the park where you cannot see a basic line score (either inning 1-9, or basic R/H/E summary), or see a clock, etc. It's really bad.

It would be nice if someone would notice that the Luke Appling tribute on the exterior of the park/1st baseline (pictures of players from our All-Century team) has been tattered and torn for at least a few years now. I've been to about 18 parks across the majors...I've never seen other stadiums allow stuff like that to go unattended for so long.

I love the Cell overall...but sometimes their attention to detail and overall maintenance gets a little frustrating.

yes!

Bob G
04-16-2008, 01:43 PM

I noticed that too ... does anyone know why they got rid of it? I thought it was pretty useful.

bigsoxfan420
04-16-2008, 01:50 PM
I would like to see a Brew Pub added (maybe just to the bulpen bar). That would be sweet. They could have beers dedicated to retired players (Baines' Brew, Double Play Ale; with Fox and Aparicio on the label).

Parrothead
04-16-2008, 01:51 PM
The only change I would like to see, besides a different out of town scoreboard, is puting the out of town scores on the ribbon boards (I thought they would be used for something other than stupid graphics and ads).
They could scroll the scores during the game. This way people in the outfield could just look forward to the other side of the stadium and scores.

I really don't need to see "Best Buy or Pepsi, ect..." Nine times on the board. Eight would be fine. And yes, I brought it up the Sox brass. But they said it can't be done, which I don't believe.

Also, I clock somewhere that everyone in the park could see would be nice too. By clock, I mean anywhere and any type. I don't bring a cell phone into the game and occasionally would like to know what time it is. They could put it on the ribbon boards, that would be fine.

RhubarbStew
04-16-2008, 02:09 PM
I think all players with blue eyes should be required to wear green contact lenses.

rdwj
04-16-2008, 02:13 PM
I would like to see a Brew Pub added (maybe just to the bulpen bar). That would be sweet. They could have beers dedicated to retired players (Baines' Brew, Double Play Ale; with Fox and Aparicio on the label).

Please send your resume to the Sox. You need to be hired immediately!!

esbrechtel
04-16-2008, 02:23 PM
I think the clock would be more for that nostalgic feel than for anything practical...I am willing to bet between 80-90% of the crowd has either a cellphone or watch that is just as easy (sometimes easier) than looking to the CF scoreboard....

I am by no means against some clock hands on the McDonalds logo I just think the one we have now (even though not all can see it) is fine....

lths06
04-16-2008, 02:49 PM
I would LOVE to see the outfield ad boards taken down, and the homerun porch in right

Frontman
04-16-2008, 05:47 PM
um...NO home run has ever "reached" the fundamentals deck.
and "home run porch" is a misnomer. any proposed addition to right field would be more of a party deck/rooftop.

So, when the park is half empty like it was this past week, it could be even more empty?

I don't get why this would be needed. Putting a party deck won't bring more people to the ballpark.

And there is already a place to see a baseball game from a rooftop party deck in this town. I certainly don't want USCF to resemble that park in any way, shape, or form.

Elephant
04-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Who the hell said anything about a "party deck"? We already have like 8 areas that could be classified that way.

A home run porch, or "cantilevered seating area beyond the RF seats" would be nice simply because they'd have to lose at least one billboard.

Frontman
04-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Who the hell said anything about a "party deck"? We already have like 8 areas that could be classified that way.

A home run porch, or "cantilevered seating area beyond the RF seats" would be nice simply because they'd have to lose at least one billboard.

And you know how they'd make up that revenue, right?

Elephant
04-16-2008, 09:50 PM
With a party deck?!

Frontman
04-16-2008, 10:13 PM
With a party deck?!

It also would include taking the sun off of some seats in the outfield.

I personally don't think its needed, as there is already a fan deck on the concourse.

Of course, the "Diamond level" folks would use this party deck if connected (and would move traffic past the press area. I'm sure the writer's would love that.)

Personally, I like the park as is, but the scoreboard should get an overhaul first in my opinion.

35th&Shields
04-16-2008, 10:57 PM
I agree. Maybe paint them yellow similar to old Comiskey. Or at least a nicer green or gray. Add some brick to the exposed concrete as well - similar to the work done on the main concourse.

I like the yellow as an homage to Old Comiskey. I still have some flakes of paint (probably lead based) that I chipped off a railing at one of the last games I attended. Also have a sliver of concrete that came off of a step. That place was literally falling apart.

asg2003ws2005
04-17-2008, 05:43 AM
So, when the park is half empty like it was this past week, it could be even more empty?

I don't get why this would be needed. Putting a party deck won't bring more people to the ballpark.

And there is already a place to see a baseball game from a rooftop party deck in this town. I certainly don't want USCF to resemble that park in any way, shape, or form.and what do you think the fan deck is?

sox102
04-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Would anybody else out there like to see the glass on the outside of the park be changed to dark green? I'm not in construction, so I don't know how expensive this would be, but is there a way they could just put some sort of film over the blue windows to make them appear green? (So that they wouldn't have to completely replace the current windows.)

I think this would be a final nice touch to the park. Plus, I hate any remaining smurf-blue (even if it is on the outside).

I'm in the glass industry and used to work in the office for the glazing contractor who installed the curtain wall and glass way back in 89/90. I didn't work for them during the construction of the park, but estimated the last couple of renovations (hat shop, kids shop, upper deck enclosure) that went on at the park.
Anyhoo, I can't see them ever spending the money to replace the exterior glass as it wouldn't be cheap. As for a film, that would probably look like garbage and would only be a quick fix. It will probably resemble the All Century banners in a few years.
Keep the park itself how it is. Get an updated scoreboard, new out of town scoreboard and get rid of all the constant ads, especially all the between inning gimmicks!

HomeFish
04-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Keep the park itself how it is. Get an updated scoreboard, new out of town scoreboard and get rid of all the constant ads, especially all the between inning gimmicks!

That gimmick is paying Pablo Ozuna's salary.

sox102
10-01-2008, 02:54 PM
My company just got plans in (well I am downloading them as I type this) for more work out at the park. I appears they are building a 4 story building across 35th street and are tearing half of the ramp down. Will know more once I dig into the plans.

itsnotrequired
10-01-2008, 03:03 PM
My company just got plans in (well I am downloading them as I type this) for more work out at the park. I appears they are building a 4 story building across 35th street and are tearing half of the ramp down. Will know more once I dig into the plans.

:mg:

dickallen15
10-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Must be the new bar and retail area.

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 03:07 PM
This is hard evidence confirming the rumors that the Illinois Sports Authority has green-lighted an entertainment complex outside the ballpark.
Keep us updated
:D:

sox102
10-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Must be the new bar and retail area.

Think you're right. Looks like it is being added at the ground floor of that ramp. I'm still downloading the plans and finally see the elevation pages. Still haven't dug into it yet.

CHISOXFAN13
10-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Think you're right. Looks like it is being added at the ground floor of that ramp. I'm still downloading the plans and finally see the elevation pages. Still haven't dug into it yet.

Well, what are you waiting for?!?! :D:

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Inquiring minds need to know!!!!!

sox102
10-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Wow tons of interest in this! Trying as fast as I can to download. Will have to get the drawings printed then. I'll try to give as much info as I can.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Ha but dont get fired over it :D:

sox102
10-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Ha but dont get fired over it :D:

Good call! It does appear half of the ramps will be torn down and a two story "Novelty Store" will take up the area that is being torn down. It also looks like the escalators are being enclosed with glass and curtain wall the full height. I will try to explain more once I get the drawings printed and can see them without having to move the pdf file around on my desktop. Exciting though! :cool:

VenturaFan23
10-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Wow tons of interest in this! Trying as fast as I can to download. Will have to get the drawings printed then. I'll try to give as much info as I can.

Should I come upstairs to go over a job? :tongue:

jabrch
10-01-2008, 03:44 PM
I have just one ask...please put a speed gun and a pitch count in two spots in the park, so each can be seen from any seat in the park. Right now, you can't see the PC if you are in LF corner and you can't see the gun in the RF corner. Silly...with all the wrap around boards, you should always have those two pieces of data visible.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 03:47 PM
yes the Speed gun is in only one spot but isn't the pitch count in the LF corner & the RF corner?

skobabe8
10-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Good call! It does appear half of the ramps will be torn down and a two story "Novelty Store" will take up the area that is being torn down. It also looks like the escalators are being enclosed with glass and curtain wall the full height. I will try to explain more once I get the drawings printed and can see them without having to move the pdf file around on my desktop. Exciting though! :cool:

That is AWESOME. Please provide more details when you can!

GlassSox
10-04-2008, 01:53 PM
This is fun stuff to read/discuss. Can't wait to hear what the plans reveal.

LoveYourSuit
10-04-2008, 02:02 PM

What the heck are you using to download, a 1970s IBM 5100 ? :redneck

Frontman
10-04-2008, 05:47 PM
1: Awesome information; I love the idea of adding to the park (like many stadiums have started to do. The idea of a resturant/amusement area that can be used year round will increase revenue!)

2: I'm sure my brother will be thrilled!

grv1974
10-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Well, where are the pics????

swish
10-07-2008, 03:09 PM

I was just curious, do you work for an architecture firm? How were you able to get a hold of these plans?

DumpJerry
10-07-2008, 04:11 PM
yes the Speed gun is in only one spot but isn't the pitch count in the LF corner & the RF corner?
Yes. The RF Foul Pole lines perfectly to block my view of the speed gun. I emailed my rep and Brooks about moving the Pole a foot or two left or right, but they said Selig said it can't be done. Sigh. Another reason to hate Selig.

Harold Baines usually stands in a direct line between my seats and Home blocking my view. We've tried to do the "Down in front!" cry, but he ignores us.......

jabrch
10-07-2008, 04:20 PM

I couldn't see the one in RF until last night when I sat somewhere other than my usual seats.

Either way - speed gun only in RF drives me nuts.

ChiSoxFan81
10-07-2008, 04:27 PM
I think they should cover the outfield walls in ivy and tear down DiamondVision and replace it with a manual scoreboard. Sprinkle in falling concrete for effect.

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2008, 04:30 PM
I think they should cover the outfield walls in ivy and tear down DiamondVision and replace it with a manual scoreboard. Sprinkle in falling concrete for effect.
Teal
Not teal.

grv1974
10-07-2008, 06:52 PM

Aaahhh, my retinas are burning.

RockJock07
10-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Word is that the Out of town scoreboard is being cleaned up a pit. More data about pitchers/batters will be added and it will also included infomation on the type of pitch it is. Like the feature that the Astros have down the 3rd base line.

tick53
10-07-2008, 07:19 PM
I'd like to see all the grey concrete painted green to match the new seats. As far as a new scoreboard goes, I'm for that too. I loved the old pinwheels at the old park and the awesome way it lit up. The pinwheels on the present board are just boring lights in sequence. Bill Veeck wanted it to look like an old pinball machine. We gotta keep those fireworks rolling though.

Malgar 12
10-07-2008, 07:58 PM

Whatever happened to the teal police?

SaltyPretzel
10-07-2008, 08:24 PM

:tealpolice:

grv1974
10-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Teal
Not teal.

I think you mean "Teal, not turquoise.":D:

EuroSox35
10-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Word is that the Out of town scoreboard is being cleaned up a pit. More data about pitchers/batters will be added and it will also included infomation on the type of pitch it is. Like the feature that the Astros have down the 3rd base line.

That would be AWESOME. Do you have inside info or something? Where's this coming from?

itsnotrequired
10-07-2008, 09:56 PM

Teal
Not teal.

:tealpolice:

I think you mean "Teal, not turquoise.":D:

bush league, all of this

EuroSox35
10-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I wish they would have some way of enforcing some kind of Blackhawks like policy for getting in and out of your seats during the game. Maybe even just some kind of big sign at every section entrance.

I guess it depends on where your seats were, but last night I was at a low row in the UD at the aisle on the side of the section entrance facing the field, and it was terrible. I counted at least 30 damn times where people pass right when the pitch is being thrown (and a lot of times the same damn people), and the worse are the ones who stop in front of you to make sure they don't miss a pitch, nice courtesy douche. I mean it's a ****ing playoff game, and the same damn people every half inning. At least wait for a clear break in the action! (this isn't even mentioning the people who decided they'd watch the game from the railing blocking about 3-5 rows of people. Just annoying to have to spend most of the playoff game missing the action or having to yell at people who wouldn't move/almost getting into confrontations

chisoxfanatic
10-07-2008, 10:57 PM
How credible is your source? I'd love to have that OOT scoreboard improved and updated more often. Would they put a bigger board where the current one is? It of course would have to be bigger to include all of those extra bells and whistles.

DumpJerry
10-07-2008, 11:11 PM
This should settle matters:
:tealtutor:

RockJock07
10-08-2008, 02:05 AM
That would be AWESOME. Do you have inside info or something? Where's this coming from?

Not really inside information, It was mentioned today on ESPN 1000 by Carmen Defalco. It was his inside info. He mentioned the White Sox have been thinking about it for the past 2 seasons but had decided to wait but that it was going to change this off-season.

sox102
10-08-2008, 10:49 AM
I was just curious, do you work for an architecture firm? How were you able to get a hold of these plans?

I work for a glazing contractor that installs glass/aluminum/doors on buildings. I'm one of the estimators for my company. I also worked at the company that installed the glass in the "new" Comiskey Park. I figured a few of the renovation phases out there.

I am still working on the bid for the latest renovations. It is a two story building with the Novelty Store. They are moving the ticket windows and main entry towards the parking lot and looks like they are creating an outdoor area that is fenced in. Maybe for the smokers? Can't really tell. Also installing a new grand stairway that will lead up to the Main Concourse level. Removing one set of escalators (along with the East part of the north ramp). The eastern most bridge over 35th Street will only have access at the Main Concourse level now. There will be access from the new area to the existing West part of the north ramp. Bids go in next week and I'm sure they will start construction within a few weeks.
That's my latest update!

itsnotrequired
10-08-2008, 10:57 AM
I work for a glazing contractor that installs glass/aluminum/doors on buildings. I'm one of the estimators for my company. I also worked at the company that installed the glass in the "new" Comiskey Park. I figured a few of the renovation phases out there.

I am still working on the bid for the latest renovations. It is a two story building with the Novelty Store. They are moving the ticket windows and main entry towards the parking lot and looks like they are creating an outdoor area that is fenced in. Maybe for the smokers? Can't really tell. Also installing a new grand stairway that will lead up to the Main Concourse level. Removing one set of escalators (along with the East part of the north ramp). The eastern most bridge over 35th Street will only have access at the Main Concourse level now. There will be access from the new area to the existing West part of the north ramp. Bids go in next week and I'm sure they will start construction within a few weeks.
That's my latest update!

I don't suppose you could post some renderings, GAs, etc. could you?

Luke
10-08-2008, 02:42 PM
The stairway idea sounds similar to the renovations that were originally envisioned for the park. I'm pretty sure the stair case renderings were posted here before.

I'm having trouble picturing the work described with the ramps, but it sounds interesting as does improving the out of town scoreboard.

grv1974
10-08-2008, 04:28 PM

That's my latest update!

How expensive would it be to change the smurf-blue glass on the facade of the building and replace it with dark green?

HartmanSox
10-08-2008, 04:58 PM
How expensive would it be to change the smurf-blue glass on the facade of the building and replace it with dark green?

maybe we can get the federal government to print us off some funds for the job.

oeo
10-08-2008, 05:00 PM

That's my latest update!

Here come the smokers: "Now they're going to treat us like dogs?!"

Stoky44
10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
I am still working on the bid for the latest renovations. It is a two story building with the Novelty Store. They are moving the ticket windows and main entry towards the parking lot and looks like they are creating an outdoor area that is fenced in. Maybe for the smokers? Can't really tell. Also installing a new grand stairway that will lead up to the Main Concourse level. Removing one set of escalators (along with the East part of the north ramp). The eastern most bridge over 35th Street will only have access at the Main Concourse level now. There will be access from the new area to the existing West part of the north ramp.

So there will be one less ramp down from the UD? And one less set of escalators? It all ready seems like they could use a few more escalaters in my opinion. Also as a side note, why at the end of games do they not reverse the ecalators, most parks across the country do it.

What ticket window is moving closer to the parking lot? Do you mean the main ticket window near gate 4? where is the new "grand staircase" going? Is all of this building just going to be on the north east part of the park?

grv1974
10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
maybe we can get the federal government to print us off some funds for the job.

Yeah, that made sense..............

oeo
10-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Also as a side note, why at the end of games do they not reverse the ecalators, most parks across the country do it.

I thought it has been mentioned before as a safety concern.

Not implying that you're complaining, but I'm sure some people have: is it really that hard to walk down the ramps? If you ask me, after a Sox win, that's one of the best parts of the "Cell experience."

chisoxfanatic
10-08-2008, 05:11 PM

Not implying that you're complaining, but I'm sure some people have: is it really that hard to walk down the ramps? If you ask me, after a Sox win, that's one of the best parts of the "Cell experience."
I don't understand how it's a safety concern when every other ballpark/arena I've been in does it and seem to have no problems. I'd love for them to reverse the escalators as well.

hi im skot
10-08-2008, 05:12 PM
I don't understand how it's a safety concern when every other ballpark/arena I've been in does it and seem to have no problems. I'd love for them to reverse the escalators as well.

There have been a few escalator-related deaths following sporting events in recent years.

It's a policy that just makes sense.

Eddo144
10-08-2008, 05:45 PM

I imagine it comes from the fact that before the game, not everyone is arriving at once, so the flow of people up the escalators is not nearly as heavy as what comes down the ramps at the end.

Think of it this way: if the escalators were reversed, nearly all people (people, in general, are lazy) would want to use the escalators. This would cause a major logjam, which is definitely a safety concern.

oeo
10-08-2008, 10:51 PM

Just because other places do it doesn't make it safe.

Sorry, but you're lazy if you need an escalator. You have to walk downhill for five minutes, big whoop.

itsnotrequired
10-08-2008, 10:54 PM
safety is for cowards

guillen4life13
10-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Just because other places do it doesn't make it safe.

Sorry, but you're lazy if you need an escalator. You have to walk downhill for five minutes, big whoop.

TBQH, I would think a drunk person would have more problems walking down a ramp than up. Even if it is more tiring, it is easier as far as balance is concerned.

chisoxfanatic: They would have to build a large number of escalators to accommodate the number of exiting fans at the Cell. They've got a system right now that's working fine that includes elevators for the disabled/handicapped, right? Would them installing more escalators and opening them for post-game exit influence you to give them more of your money? If so, maybe the team should survey current season ticket holders about this, and maybe take action if it seems like they will make their investments back and them some. I don't see this happening because as it is, the park accommodates everyone, and since the escalators would be only used for getting in and out of the park, it won't present a huge money making opportunity. And I sincerely don't expect the escalators to increase ticket sales enough to offset the costs into it.

oeo
10-08-2008, 11:56 PM
TBQH, I would think a drunk person would have more problems walking down a ramp than up. Even if it is more tiring, it is easier as far as balance is concerned.

If you're that wasted, you probably should stay away from the escalator, anyway. The ramps are not on that much of a downhill plane that the average drunk person should have trouble keeping their balance.

Hitmen77
10-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Those renovations sound cool. I can't wait to see it.

It'll be nice if they upgrade the out of town scoreboard, but I'd rather have money spent to improve the main and aux scoreboard first. Those scoreboards are very below average compared to other MLB parks. It's pretty sad that there are many seats at the Cell where you can't even see basic game information because view of the aux board is obstructed

Bill Naharodny
10-09-2008, 01:20 PM
The exterior of the park should be something fans are excited to see. The Cell's arched windows are actually really good looking. However there huge structures of ramps block us from actually seeing the arches. I do not know a way of getting rid of the ramps though. Perhaps a much larger main entrance with escalators. Either way I would like to appriciate the already attractive exterior by actually seeing it.

While we're on the subject of ramps, if I were going to improve the park, I'd do something about brightening or painting green the inside of those ramps out of the park. Sure, it's the last thing you see after a night at the park, but you feel like you're in a parking garage. Very industrial and very much a remnant of the original park design. They already have done a few things, like some pictures of past teams -- more of that would be pretty cool and one more "homey" touch as you leave the park.

ChiSoxFan81
10-09-2008, 04:12 PM

I thought one of those twisty slides would be cool, actually.

Seriously, though, while the ramps can feel like a death march after a loss, they are the rowdiest places after a win, especially a crucial game. I don't see everyone chanting and high-fiving down an escalator.

whitesox901
10-09-2008, 04:14 PM
safety is for cowards

:cool:

LoveYourSuit
10-09-2008, 06:00 PM
While we're on the subject of ramps, if I were going to improve the park, I'd do something about brightening or painting green the inside of those ramps out of the park. Sure, it's the last thing you see after a night at the park, but you feel like you're in a parking garage. Very industrial and very much a remnant of the original park design. They already have done a few things, like some pictures of past teams -- more of that would be pretty cool and one more "homey" touch as you leave the park.

I agree.

I would sell advertising space on those ramps for the renovations to it. Add some color and light to it, make it electric.

dickallen15
10-09-2008, 06:48 PM
What you need on the ramps are those shoes kids wear with the wheels. You can play roller derby on the turns.

DumpJerry
10-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I emailed Brooks about installing water slides for the exits since they refuse to turn on the escalators. I'll let you know what he tells me.

Post game escalators=dead fans.

LoveYourSuit
10-09-2008, 07:43 PM
The height of the stadium is what makes the Ramps a killer to some IMO.

Not sure if it was city code back then, but I don't understand why on earth the architects did not dig the stadium below street level where the 100 level would be steet level like most modern ball parks?

SaltyPretzel
10-09-2008, 08:02 PM

Not sure if it was city code back then, but I don't understand why on earth the architects did not dig the stadium below street level where the 100 level would be steet level like most modern ball parks?

$$$$$$$$$$

kevingrt
10-09-2008, 08:09 PM
I emailed Brooks about installing water slides for the exits since they refuse to turn on the escalators. I'll let you know what he tells me.

Post game escalators=dead fans.

By the way nothing better then sneaking past those yellow do not enter signs to walk down the escalators after the games. Then you don't have to deal with overly drunk people stumbling down the ramps.

Water slides would work best though.

TheOldRoman
10-09-2008, 09:38 PM

Not sure if it was city code back then, but I don't understand why on earth the architects did not dig the stadium below street level where the 100 level would be steet level like most modern ball parks?It would have been WAY too expensive. According to Daver, the Sox would have to be pumping Lake Michigan water out of the ground 24/7 if they built underground. They do it at Soldier Field, but that is a historic location/venue. No way a new park would be built requiring a million gallons of water to be pumped out every hour.

LoveYourSuit
10-09-2008, 10:17 PM
It would have been WAY too expensive. According to Daver, the Sox would have to be pumping Lake Michigan water out of the ground 24/7 if they built underground. They do it at Soldier Field, but that is a historic location/venue. No way a new park would be built requiring a million gallons of water to be pumped out every hour.

Really? :scratch:

That's the first I hear of that. The lake is nowhere close to the Cell as it is to Soldier.

TheUpperTank
10-14-2008, 02:17 PM

I think the bigger picture issue is that: tripping on a ramp = a few bruises; toppling over side of open escalator (though this problem appears as tho it may be solved next season) = almost certain death

This happened this season past at Shea if I recall (after a game).

nasox
10-14-2008, 05:18 PM
I think the bigger picture issue is that: tripping on a ramp = a few bruises; toppling over side of open escalator (though this problem appears as tho it may be solved next season) = almost certain death

This happened this season past at Shea if I recall (after a game).

Yeah, and IIRC the guy wasn't even drunk. He was just messing around being goofy and slipped and fell off.

Parrothead
10-14-2008, 07:16 PM

That's the first I hear of that. The lake is nowhere close to the Cell as it is to Soldier.

True but it is not far from lake michigan and the groundwater level is about 10-15 feet below grade in the area.

soxnut67
10-14-2008, 10:53 PM
How could it have been a water issue? Isn't the Dan Ryan lower than the ballpark?:?:

DumpJerry
10-14-2008, 11:03 PM

True but it is not far from lake michigan and the groundwater level is about 10-15 feet below grade in the area.

How could it have been a water issue? Isn't the Dan Ryan lower than the ballpark?:?:
Welcome to the Great Lakes Basin.

Comiskey is close to the Lake. You can see it from the Upper Deck.

LoveYourSuit
10-14-2008, 11:31 PM

Bingo.

If you dig the stadium it is right at Dan Ryan level.

I don't think I have ever heard of flooding issues on the Ryan in my lifetime.

chisoxfanatic
10-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Bingo.

If you dig the stadium it is right at Dan Ryan level.

I don't think I have ever heard of flooding issues on the Ryan in my lifetime.
I've never heard of flooding issues on the Ryan either, even during the rainiest day in Chicago history, which was just a month ago; however, the Ryan is solid, while a baseball field is not. I could see where it would be a headache for Roger Bossard.

itsnotrequired
10-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Hitachi wins all the big pump jobs.

skobabe8
10-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Are these renovations happening this year??? I drove by yesterday and saw no signs of any work about to begin.

MrRoboto83
10-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Are these renovations happening this year??? I drove by yesterday and saw no signs of any work about to begin.

Not sure when all this construction is supposed to begin, but my Step Father said he is working on a bid for some excavating work to be done at the ballpark.

soxrme
10-15-2008, 11:15 AM
I would like a new scoreboard, and keep the out of town board up to date. Also the biggest improvement needed is two more beers of the world.

skobabe8
10-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Not sure when all this construction is supposed to begin, but my Step Father said he is working on a bid for some excavating work to be done at the ballpark.

We need answers, damnit!

Bob G
10-15-2008, 03:22 PM
I would like a new scoreboard, and keep the out of town board up to date. Also the biggest improvement needed is two more beers of the world.

I would say more like four more beers of the world are needed. The lines are way too long and slow right now. Also I think Portillo's should take over all of the concessions as soon as possible...

Red Barchetta
10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I would say more like four more beers of the world are needed. The lines are way too long and slow right now. Also I think Portillo's should take over all of the concessions as soon as possible...

"The Portillo's Right Field Party Deck". I love the sound of it. Build one similar to the party deck they have at Turner Field. :D:

grv1974
10-15-2008, 06:26 PM

That would be awesome!!!

Rdy2PlayBall
10-15-2008, 06:58 PM
That would be awesome!!!Cubs fans would come to the Cell and bring portable TV's to watch the Cubs games if that happened! :rolling: Seriously though, that is a real good idea considering Portillos is basicly a "Chicago Only" thing, that would bring some real diversity to the ballpark. :D:

Stoky44
10-15-2008, 07:23 PM
"The Portillo's Right Field Party Deck". I love the sound of it. Build one similar to the party deck they have at Turner Field. :D:

I like the idea of adding maybe 1 portillos stand per level, but to take over all stands no way. I love the food at the cell. I love our Kosher dogs etc.
Best Hot Dog ever= Kosher with grilled onions, can't be beat by anyone, including both in and out of sports venues

Parrothead
10-15-2008, 07:36 PM

Poritillo's ? :puking:

I would rather eat dirt.

Brian26
10-15-2008, 08:21 PM
I like the idea of adding maybe 1 portillos stand per level, but to take over all stands no way. I love the food at the cell. I love our Kosher dogs etc.
Best Hot Dog ever= Kosher with grilled onions, can't be beat by anyone, including both in and out of sports venues

I love the koshers off the grill, but the food and the service at the concession stands were disgusting this year. I love the idea of bringing in Portillo's. If there ever was a way to bring them in to let them run the entire operation, I'd be all for it. Get rid of Sport Service completely. Let Portillo's hire the workers, run the food operation from top to bottom...

mattcoz
10-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Portillo's and more Beer of the Worlds? I might never leave. :D:

grv1974
10-15-2008, 09:21 PM

Kosher dogs = yucky. Besides, if you knew what was involved with kosher slaughter, you wouldn't eat them either.

grv1974
10-15-2008, 09:22 PM

I would rather eat dirt.

Yeah, cuz the food at the cell is SO GOOD. BTW, Portillo's rules

Parrothead
10-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Yeah, cuz the food at the cell is SO GOOD. BTW, Portillo's rules

Never said the food was great but I would rather have some of the independent vendors who were in the Old Comiskey Park. The tacos behind home plate blew away anything I have had in a ballpark in a long time. Although, Portillo's would fit in at a ballpark, the food is way over priced for what you get.

LoveYourSuit
10-15-2008, 11:36 PM
I love the koshers off the grill, but the food and the service at the concession stands were disgusting this year. I love the idea of bringing in Portillo's. If there ever was a way to bring them in to let them run the entire operation, I'd be all for it. Get rid of Sport Service completely. Let Portillo's hire the workers, run the food operation from top to bottom...

The Customer Service at the ballpark as a whole needs a complete house cleaning.

Sport Service sucks. The laziness of the people they hire is something that makes me not ever want to consume anything at that ballpark unless it's beer from my ladies at the Corona stand near section 144. You can have the rest.

Compare the machine like service you get at a Portillos for the good food they provide to the crap right now at the Cell with bad and slow service.

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2008, 01:08 AM

I would rather eat dirt.Unusual choice, but go ahead.

DSpivack
10-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Kosher dogs = yucky. Besides, if you knew what was involved with kosher slaughter, you wouldn't eat them either.

A more humane way of killing, beef only and no organ meats? :scratch:

grv1974
10-16-2008, 04:27 AM
A more humane way of killing, beef only and no organ meats? :scratch:

No, the way in which they do it.

Stoky44
10-16-2008, 08:23 AM

If you think Kosher dogs are bad, do you eat any sausage, because all sausages or "link" food making is pretty gross considering what they put in there. But it tastes good. Plus all sluaghtering is bad to think about, you better not eat any meat or any eggs for that matter if you knew how the animals were treated/slaugthered.
Being a Kosher dog is not any worse than any other sausage or meat based off ingredients or slaughtering process. In fact the stuff put into a Kosher dog is a lot better than the regular hotdogs.

TomBradley72
10-16-2008, 10:15 AM
The Customer Service at the ballpark as a whole needs a complete house cleaning.

Sport Service sucks. The laziness of the people they hire is something that makes me not ever want to consume anything at that ballpark unless it's beer from my ladies at the Corona stand near section 144. You can have the rest.

Compare the machine like service you get at a Portillos for the good food they provide to the crap right now at the Cell with bad and slow service.

Agreed....of the ballparks around the league I've visited over the past two years (~7-8 different parks)....the overall quality and variety of the food + the quality of customer service when it comes to ballpark food was the LOWEST at the Cell. Not even close. You begin to think it's like that everywhere until you attend a game somewhere else and realize how far the White Sox have plummeted in this part of their operation. They are not a little bit worse than their peers. They are alot worse.

roylestillman
10-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Agreed....of the ballparks around the league I've visited over the past two years (~7-8 different parks)....the overall quality and variety of the food + the quality of customer service when it comes to ballpark food was the LOWEST at the Cell. Not even close. You begin to think it's like that everywhere until you attend a game somewhere else and realize how far the White Sox have plummeted in this part of their operation. They are not a little bit worse than their peers. They are alot worse.

I talked about this in an earlier thread. The quality and variety of food at other ballparks has lapped the Cell over the last decade or so. I feel bad talking about the service, because I'm sure most of these folks behind the counters could never get another job. The vendors are fine, the people at the parkside "temporary" stands are OK, but the people and the food in the permanent (along the wall) stands are just awful. Credit card or gift card use cripples the stand for hours. Competition among stands with outside vendors would be welcome

I received via e-mail one of those season ticket surveys and emphasized that the food service is falling off recently.

Bob G
10-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Never said the food was great but I would rather have some of the independent vendors who were in the Old Comiskey Park. The tacos behind home plate blew away anything I have had in a ballpark in a long time. Although, Portillo's would fit in at a ballpark, the food is way over priced for what you get.

I don't agree that the Portillo's food is overpriced - it's probably about right given the quality. I wouldn't be surprised that given the volume they do the prices can be reduced compared to what we pay now at the ballpark.

I agree with many of the comments on this topic - the current food service is not well managed and needs improvement. I don't know when the contract runs out but it should not be renewed. Portillo's seems to have an excellent system where they can handle a high volume of customers very quickly without sacrificing quality.

I_Liked_Manuel
10-16-2008, 11:11 AM
I talked about this in an earlier thread. The quality and variety of food at other ballparks has lapped the Cell over the last decade or so. I feel bad talking about the service, because I'm sure most of these folks behind the counters could never get another job. The vendors are fine, the people at the parkside "temporary" stands are OK, but the people and the food in the permanent (along the wall) stands are just awful. Credit card or gift card use cripples the stand for hours. Competition among stands with outside vendors would be welcome

I received via e-mail one of those season ticket surveys and emphasized that the food service is falling off recently.

I really don't think that it has much to do with credit cards - it has more to do with the workers that stop and talk to every other worker on their way over to the cheese machine...every time they walk to the cheese machine. I would miss an inning and a half of baseball every time i went to the concession stand last year. By the end of the year, the only ballpark food that I ate was a polish from the best kosher stand, because I knew that it would take me maybe 1/10th of the time to get.

As far as renovations go - add a low brick wall around the outfield concourse to stand behind, so I have something to rest my beer on when I'm out there.

Lundind1
10-16-2008, 11:13 AM

I have a few points to bring into this conversation:
1) Being in the upper deck means that we only have one stand alone brat and sausage stand. Beginning this season I noticed that my price changed each time for 3 brats, Two for me and one for the g/f. So I started to tell people when I went to the stand with me how much my bill should be. Sure enough, I was quoted an amount 1.75 more than I should. I had a few witnesses to this. Of course I should be angry at that. I actually said something to the woman who was taking the money at Kittles Brats and Sausage that that was wrong for 3 of them and then she still quoted me $1 over what I should have been paying. I corrected her and told her to use her calculator if she couldn't get it right. She got kinda mad at me for saying this so I filed it away. A few games later I went back for the same order and she did it again. This time I went to talk to someone who ran the concessions service. They apologized and said it would not happen again. Some friends of mine said that she did it again to them late this August, as of the post-season she still had a job when I walked by though.

2) Almost the same thing happend to me at one of the all-star stands. The guy covered the little display and quoted me a price which was almost $3 higher. I told him that I had been through this earlier this year with another vendor and he should be careful because I was watching. He apologized over and over so I think he knew he was doing it.

These two cases show that you should always double check what you paying at the concession stands. The Sports-serv manager that I talked to said that if they give themselves even a $2 take over 1 hour it would equate to about a $1000 dollar raise. He told me that they pay their people very well and they get to keep any tips as well as high sales commissions. If any of you suspect your getting ripped off, let someone from sports service know immediately.

Also I will agree that the Sox might need an overhaul of the vendor system. If any of you are framiliar with a Schoops hamburgers I think that they should put one of those stands in the park, they have a carry out window at Orland Mall which is the perfect model for how it should work at the park. Just a thought.

Red Barchetta
10-16-2008, 11:17 AM
As far as renovations go - add a low brick wall around the outfield concourse to stand behind, so I have something to rest my beer on when I'm out there.[/quote]

That's a great idea! It wouldn't cost much (compared to larger scale projects) and it would look great while serving a function (holding beer). It would match up nicely with the old fashion section sign posts they installed earlier. Plus, who wants to see the back of chair?!

ChiSoxFan81
10-16-2008, 11:55 AM
I have a few points to bring into this conversation:
1) Being in the upper deck means that we only have one stand alone brat and sausage stand. Beginning this season I noticed that my price changed each time for 3 brats, Two for me and one for the g/f. So I started to tell people when I went to the stand with me how much my bill should be. Sure enough, I was quoted an amount 1.75 more than I should. I had a few witnesses to this. Of course I should be angry at that. I actually said something to the woman who was taking the money at Kittles Brats and Sausage that that was wrong for 3 of them and then she still quoted me $1 over what I should have been paying. I corrected her and told her to use her calculator if she couldn't get it right. She got kinda mad at me for saying this so I filed it away. A few games later I went back for the same order and she did it again. This time I went to talk to someone who ran the concessions service. They apologized and said it would not happen again. Some friends of mine said that she did it again to them late this August, as of the post-season she still had a job when I walked by though.

2) Almost the same thing happend to me at one of the all-star stands. The guy covered the little display and quoted me a price which was almost $3 higher. I told him that I had been through this earlier this year with another vendor and he should be careful because I was watching. He apologized over and over so I think he knew he was doing it.

I've never had this happen. As a matter of fact, at the tiebreaker game, I got 4 dogs and the lady told me 50 cents lower than what it should have been. Maybe she was just giving me a discount for waiting 10 damn minutes because no dogs were ready when we got there. More likely, she just didn't know how to do simple math. It's amazing that when you sell the same product every day at the same price, and you still don't know how much each order costs off the top of your head. I love going to the deli too. Try to order 1/3 lb of something, and they can't figure out how much that is in decimal. Anyways, I don't doubt at all that they would try to rip you off, because they figure people are drunk, and there is no receipt or anything, so they figure you're bad at math and won't be able to figure it out as long as the prices aren't an even number (like $5 per dog).

Thome25
10-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Where's the pics of the latest project? :D:

Hitmen77
10-16-2008, 12:43 PM

I agree that the food quality at the Cell has really gone downhill in recent years. Even basic foods like burgers and dogs aren't very good and the service is very slow.

I wouldn't mind something like 1 Portillos, but there is no way the Sox would have Portillos as their entire concessions provider. I like Portillos, but there are enough people who hate Portillos that we still need some variety to please the masses.

DumpJerry
10-16-2008, 12:44 PM
As far as renovations go - add a low brick wall around the outfield concourse to stand behind, so I have something to rest my beer on when I'm out there.

That's a great idea! It wouldn't cost much (compared to larger scale projects) and it would look great while serving a function (holding beer). It would match up nicely with the old fashion section sign posts they installed earlier. Plus, who wants to see the back of chair?![/quote]
How would the wheelchair people get in and out?

LoveYourSuit
10-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I agree that the food quality at the Cell has really gone downhill in recent years. Even basic foods like burgers and dogs aren't very good and the service is very slow.

I wouldn't mind something like 1 Portillos, but there is no way the Sox would have Portillos as their entire concessions provider. I like Portillos, but there are enough people who hate Portillos that we still need some variety to please the masses.

I think what you do is you keep an all Chicago Theme.

Tacos & Mexican - Los Comales
Pizza - I guess you already have Connies there
Dogs, Burgers & Beef - Portillos
Chicken - Browns
Cold Cuts - I would love to have a Heros (next to Lane Tech) there.
Desert - ???

So you put two of each of these shops on every level and there it is.

And your still keep Sports Service around (I guess) to sell on the carts (kosher dogs, beer, nachos, churros, etc)

LoveYourSuit
10-16-2008, 12:59 PM
That's a great idea! It wouldn't cost much (compared to larger scale projects) and it would look great while serving a function (holding beer). It would match up nicely with the old fashion section sign posts they installed earlier. Plus, who wants to see the back of chair?!
How would the wheelchair people get in and out?[/quote]

Access thru the side where everyone else goes to get to their seats.

Or leave a short wheel chair size opening on the middle of each brick section.

Bob G
10-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I think what you do is you keep an all Chicago Theme.

Tacos & Mexican - Los Comales
Pizza - I guess you already have Connies there
Dogs, Burgers & Beef - Portillos
Chicken - Browns
Cold Cuts - I would love to have a Heros (next to Lane Tech) there.
Desert - ???

So you put two of each of these shops on every level and there it is.

And your still keep Sports Service around (I guess) to sell on the carts (kosher dogs, beer, nachos, churros, etc)

That might work. One disadvantage with having specialized concessions is let's say you're a family of four and one person wants a beef sandwich another wants a slice of pizza and the kids want tacos you either have to wait in three different lines or split up which can be a hassle. I think a Portillo's can probably offer all of the above at the same location so you have variety along with convenience and much faster service. Having multiple locations spaced around the park will also keep the lines down.

Sports Service can sell the simple stuff that are hard to screw up like popcorn, pretzels and nachos.

LoveYourSuit
10-16-2008, 02:25 PM
That might work. One disadvantage with having specialized concessions is let's say you're a family of four and one person wants a beef sandwich another wants a slice of pizza and the kids want tacos you either have to wait in three different lines or split up which can be a hassle. I think a Portillo's can probably offer all of the above at the same location so you have variety along with convenience and much faster service. Having multiple locations spaced around the park will also keep the lines down.

Sports Service can sell the simple stuff that are hard to screw up like popcorn, pretzels and nachos.

True.

But those places I mentioned provide very speedy service from my experience with them. Speed is what is needed which is very lacking right now. So if you have to stand in 3 different stands, it's the equivalent of what it takes in one line today.

sox102
10-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Where's the pics of the latest project? :D:

Bid date was pushed back again to next week Wednesday. Don't know how they plan to get this built (including tearing down the ramp) by mid-March!

Lundind1
10-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Bid date was pushed back again to next week Wednesday. Don't know how they plan to get this built (including tearing down the ramp) by mid-March!

Dang, I was really hoping to drive by the young lady really soon to see something to get excited about. All is too quiet here without the games going on.

Stoky44
10-16-2008, 08:26 PM

Why is it they need to tear down one of the ramps? There is plenty of free space around that area.

dickallen15
10-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Why is it they need to tear down one of the ramps? There is plenty of free space around that area.

I read something several years ago that kind of shocked me knowing absolutely nothing about construction. The ramps at USCF leading from the north side of 35th street to the south side, don't have much of a life expectancy. I think its only another 10 years, if not less. They are eventually going to have to tear them down anyway and either build new ones or use the current office space in the park to shuffle fans to their seats.

anewman35
10-16-2008, 10:11 PM
I read something several years ago that kind of shocked me knowing absolutely nothing about construction. The ramps at USCF leading from the north side of 35th street to the south side, don't have much of a life expectancy. I think its only another 10 years, if not less. They are eventually going to have to tear them down anyway and either build new ones or use the current office space in the park to shuffle fans to their seats.

That sounds rather unlikely to me. Any idea where you read it?

TheOldRoman
10-16-2008, 10:48 PM
That sounds rather unlikely to me. Any idea where you read it?It was from either March of 06 or 07. An article said the ramps didn't have a long lifespan, and would have to be replaced within the next decade. There is a thread on it somewhere. It may have been in the thread where a Tribune writer drove by the Cell, saw that a piece of the exterior prefab concrete was off (because they were doing routine maintenance), and decided to write that concrete was crumbling off of the Cell.

Red Barchetta
10-17-2008, 01:13 PM

I would love the see the ramps completely removed and have any stairwells, ramps, escalators, etc. inside the ballpark. If they need to move existing office space, move the offices to the new building across the street.

Lundind1
10-17-2008, 05:22 PM
When I drove past the young lady today there were construction engineers and surveyors working around the area along with a temporary fence company there too. Happend to be on Shields by lot B. Hope that something good comes of all this.

My dad complained that he likes that ramp though because it is much closer to the El, but then I reminded him that he could just walk down at gate 6 after the game to get there.

They really need to do something about the out of town scoreboard. Hope that comes down soon.

LoveYourSuit
10-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Getting rid of the ramps in place of something more modern would be great. Maybe a huge indoor building structure with shops and bars which happens to be as tall as the stadium structure to have bridges to lead you to each level of the ballpark.

That's how you make people spend $$$, by forcing them to walk thru it to get from point A to point B.

chisoxfanatic
10-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Getting rid of the ramps in place of something more modern would be great. Maybe a huge indoor building structure with shops and bars which happens to be as tall as the stadium structure to have bridges to lead you to each level of the ballpark.

That's how you make people spend $$$, by forcing them to walk thru it to get from point A to point B.
This is such a great idea. I love how the Air Canada Center is set up attached to Union Station. There are a ton of places there for people to eat and shop. A smaller scale of that would be cool.

whitesox901
10-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Ive been fallowing this thread since the start, (or ive been trying)

Can anyone give me the skinny on anything official yet?

Brian26
10-18-2008, 04:20 PM

The Sox are ripping out of one of the ramps to create land that will undergo plowing and harrowing and will be left unseeded for one or more growing seasons.

soxinem1
10-18-2008, 04:48 PM
New scoreboard.

Ditto. I think Uncle Jerry should dip in for a new one. Cool scoreboards have always been a White Sox tradition. Ours looks sort of bland, and worn, and outdated.

DumpJerry
10-18-2008, 11:42 PM
I drove by the park today. No sign of construction activity on the Gate 5 ramps.

LoveYourSuit
10-18-2008, 11:46 PM
I drove by the park today. No sign of construction activity on the Gate 5 ramps.

That's because we are hosting games 1 and 2 of the World Series ..... nevermind.

chisoxfanatic
10-19-2008, 12:07 AM
That's because we are hosting games 1 and 2 of the World Series ..... nevermind.
It's a possibility, and here's how I see that working out:

A UFO comes to the Trop tomorrow night and abducts the entire Rays and Carmines lineup, making both of those teams incapable of playing in the World Series. A one-game playoff is needed to determine if the Sox or Angels play in place of either the Rays or Carmines, which is won by our Sox. Get your World Series tickets ready to use, Sox fans!!!

anewman35
10-19-2008, 12:19 AM

There's nothing official yet. I'm sure it'll be on whitesox.com when it is.

sox102
10-19-2008, 12:38 AM
There's nothing official yet. I'm sure it'll be on whitesox.com when it is.

I'm surprised it hasn't been announced yet, either. Although the bidding process should have started this past summer, so they could have a general contractor on board and all the sub contractors ready to go as soon as the season started. With the bids not going in to the Sox until this Wednesday, they crunched the construction schedule from November til Mid-March. Lots of overtime is all I have to say about that.
I'm trying to give updates as much as I can.

grv1974
10-19-2008, 01:47 AM

LOL.............I still remember when they used this excuse to explain why they didn't get all the remaining green seats installed by opening day 2006, and then we had to wait until 2007.

LoveYourSuit
10-21-2008, 01:13 AM
If there was only a way to fit something like this in our surrounding area by the park....even half the size:

http://patriot-place.com/about.aspx

Terrico made mention of this today.

Wow

BleacherBandit
10-21-2008, 01:16 AM
If there was only a way to fit something like this in our surrounding area by the park....even half the size:

Wow

Wow...How spoiled are Pats fans?

DSpivack
10-21-2008, 03:26 AM

Wow

What an idiotic thing to build. The Pats play 8/10 games a year and they play out in the middle of nowhere (my college roommate is from Foxboro, there isn't much there).

esbrechtel
10-21-2008, 08:57 AM
The built an outlet mall next to the stadium....If I wanted to go to the Nike store I would go to Aurora or Kenosha I do not need one next to US Cellular Field...

skobabe8
10-21-2008, 10:54 AM
The built an outlet mall next to the stadium....If I wanted to go to the Nike store I would go to Aurora or Kenosha I do not need one next to US Cellular Field...

I really dont need Old Navy or Victoria's Secret right next to USCF.

I will gladly take that CBS Scene, however.

Lundind1
10-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Living here, I need some more stuff. This neighborhood has nothing. I have a CVS about 8 blocks away. If I want a decent grocery store, it is over on ashland and archer. I need something else here. Not saying patriot whatever that monster is, but I would like to see something a bit better for us.

ChiSoxFan81
10-21-2008, 12:38 PM
What an idiotic thing to build. The Pats play 8/10 games a year and they play out in the middle of nowhere (my college roommate is from Foxboro, there isn't much there).

Not to mention, the last thing you need is more congestion trying to get to a game.

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Living here, I need some more stuff. This neighborhood has nothing. I have a CVS about 8 blocks away. If I want a decent grocery store, it is over on ashland and archer. I need something else here. Not saying patriot whatever that monster is, but I would like to see something a bit better for us.
I agree. Even though it didn't have the greatest selections due to its small size, I really have been missing the Jewel that closed last September. It was only a couple blocks from here, making grocery shopping a breeze so many times. I could just walk to the place! With Osco and Walgreens just across the street, I was able to do all of the "vital" shopping without using my car.

I think that a small scale of Patriot Place would keep the commerce coming even during the offseason. It truly would be nice to have more close places to shop instead of having to go to Roosevelt Road, which, although isn't TOO far, still cannot be walked to.

Lundind1
10-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Just past by the ballpark on my way home from my game, btw....we lost, knocking us out of the playoffs, noticed that there was temporary fencing around the gate 5 area in B lot. Getting excited to see what comes next.

sox102
10-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Well, the general contractor's bids go in at 10am this morning. Not sure if it's a public or private opening. I am thinking private, that way, the ISFA and Sox can interview each general contractor about how they plan to get the job done on time. One GC was figuring working 24/7 to get it done and another wasn't planning on finishing until end of May. Hopefully I will have some more information later this week or early next week.

skobabe8
10-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Well, the general contractor's bids go in at 10am this morning. Not sure if it's a public or private opening. I am thinking private, that way, the ISFA and Sox can interview each general contractor about how they plan to get the job done on time. One GC was figuring working 24/7 to get it done and another wasn't planning on finishing until end of May. Hopefully I will have some more information later this week or early next week.

Wow, interesting stuff. Safe to say that the GC who offered to work 24/7 would cost more $$ to pay for overtime?

Luke
10-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Wow, interesting stuff. Safe to say that the GC who offered to work 24/7 would cost more $$ to pay for overtime?

It might be easier in this climate, but when things are going well economically, you can have trouble finding enough labor willing to work second and third shift.

It would undoubtedly cost more to to work 24/7, but that's a decision the ownership will have to weigh against the prospect of a less costly project that finishes during the season.

Bob G
10-22-2008, 01:52 PM
It might be easier in this climate, but when things are going well economically, you can have trouble finding enough labor willing to work second and third shift.

It would undoubtedly cost more to to work 24/7, but that's a decision the ownership will have to weigh against the prospect of a less costly project that finishes during the season.

From a financial point of view you probably couldn't ask for better timing with fewer construction projects available and the lower cost of materials.

Sargeant79
10-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I agree. Even though it didn't have the greatest selections due to its small size, I really have been missing the Jewel that closed last September. It was only a couple blocks from here, making grocery shopping a breeze so many times. I could just walk to the place! With Osco and Walgreens just across the street, I was able to do all of the "vital" shopping without using my car.

Didn't know that Jewel closed (I moved away in summer '07). But it was about time. That place was a dump and they sold expired food all the time. Even when I lived as close as 35th I used to go to Dominick's or even the new Target for smaller trips.

I think a little more development immediately around the park would be nice, particularly for the people who drive in for a game from the suburbs or out of town and make a day of it. But I couldn't agree more with the folks who have been saying they don't want anything resembling the monstrosity that the Patriots have. A couple restaurants, some stores, and a bar or two right near the park would be great. More than that would be overkill.

It's probably only a matter of time before the area east of the Dan Ryan becomes one of the main restaurant/retail spots. Before I left, there were a ton of new condos over there where projects used to be with more being built. They were even planning a Starbucks right on 35th and Michigan or State.

whitesox901
10-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Didn't know that Jewel closed (I moved away in summer '07). But it was about time. That place was a dump and they sold expired food all the time. Even when I lived as close as 35th I used to go to Dominick's or even the new Target for smaller trips.

I think a little more development immediately around the park would be nice, particularly for the people who drive in for a game from the suburbs or out of town and make a day of it. But I couldn't agree more with the folks who have been saying they don't want anything resembling the monstrosity that the Patriots have. A couple restaurants, some stores, and a bar or two right near the park would be great. More than that would be overkill.

It's probably only a matter of time before the area east of the Dan Ryan becomes one of the main restaurant/retail spots. Before I left, there were a ton of new condos over there where projects used to be with more being built. They were even planning a Starbucks right on 35th and Michigan or State.

Chyeah :cool:

Luke
10-22-2008, 03:42 PM
From a financial point of view you probably couldn't ask for better timing with fewer construction projects available and the lower cost of materials.

For sure. GCs are going to be hungry, equipment suppliers are going to be hungry, material suppliers will be hungry. If you can get financing, it's a great time.

LoveYourSuit
10-22-2008, 04:28 PM

All reports say that it has become an off-season destination there in Foxboro. People go there even in the off-season.

I think that's exactly what you want if you are the City of Chicago and any business buying into something like this. Guarantee to me that I will make money even when the Sox are not playing.

Big difference is that Pats offseson is the Summer compared to the Sox offseason being the Winter. That's why you put establishments in there that are good attractions for the winter. (Bars, Food, movie theatre, aracade type places like a Game Works, Dave and Buster, ESPN Zone, etc)

IrishElvis
10-23-2008, 05:54 PM
All reports say that it has become an off-season destination there in Foxboro. People go there even in the off-season.

I think that's exactly what you want if you are the City of Chicago and any business buying into something like this. Guarantee to me that I will make money even when the Sox are not playing.

Big difference is that Pats offseson is the Summer compared to the Sox offseason being the Winter. That's why you put establishments in there that are good attractions for the winter. (Bars, Food, movie theatre, aracade type places like a Game Works, Dave and Buster, ESPN Zone, etc)

You have to look no further than Bolingbrook to see how successful a project like this can be all year round. The Promenade at Bolingbrook is a destination lifestyle mall in a place that has not been happening since 1977 when Old Chicago was still in operation.

chisoxfanatic
10-23-2008, 07:50 PM
You have to look no further than Bolingbrook to see how successful a project like this can be all year round. The Promenade at Bolingbrook is a destination lifestyle mall in a place that has not been happening since 1977 when Old Chicago was still in operation.
The Promenade is in a different, much better location than that area where Old Chicago was located on the south side of Bolingbrook, which I doubt will be a very "happening" area anymore. We used to go to that 4 room movie theater down there until Showplace 12 opened, and the area has been pretty industrial save for the Kmart (which turned into the now-closed Menards) since the mid-80s. The Promenade is right off 355, which is a very prime area, close to towns like Downers Grove, Darien, Lemont, and Woodridge as well. When I checked the place out with my boyfriend, we were both unimpressed by its small size. For outdoor malls, Oakbrook Center is much better.

One thing I'd hope would be that it would be like the establishment they have at Navy Pier, which would be indoors to make things comfortable for winter shoppers. They could install openable windows for the summertime. I'd imagine they'd use Comiskey's parking lots for parking.

Lundind1
10-25-2008, 02:27 AM

I looked into getting one of those places. They want way too much money for them and the construction was crap. It was not the solution that was sorely needed for that area. They are having trouble selling them too, and yes I understand that everyone is, but it is just an indicator at how bad those new places are. Love the fact that there are a few places over there to go get coffee or a Jimmy Johns, but this area needs more. I think the Halsted corridor is going to be ripe really soon.

Anyone go to the special broadcast at wings n rings at the corner of the 'Sted and 35th??? How is the place???

LoveYourSuit
10-25-2008, 02:40 AM
Anyone go to the special broadcast at wings n rings at the corner of the 'Sted and 35th??? How is the place???

Service sucked.
Food sucked.

Positives:
- was able to catch noon football before the Sox game
- parking on the street and being able to walk to the park
- the only real Sports Bar in the entire area

That should tell you we desparately need some more establishments in the area.

skobabe8
10-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I noticed a few days ago that the light poles on the east ramp along 35th St. have been removed.

twentywontowin
10-25-2008, 12:09 PM

I was there before Game 4.

Food was OK, service was inexcusable. There had to be three wait staff for the entire place. Took forever to get food, even longer to get drinks. I understand if you don't expect the rush, but we're talking a Bears game and a playoff game happening down the street...you better be well-staffed.

However, they did let us park in the back and walk to the game.

I loved seeing they have a 50 cent wing "special"...like that's doing anyone a favor.

DumpJerry
10-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Just got a call from our Advanced Scout, Chisoxgirl. She drove by the park today. There is activity. Here is her report:

There is a plywood barrier along 35th Street starting at the Old Sycamore tree to Shields. The barrier then turn north on Shields where a chain link fence is present on Shields. The chain link fence is blocking off about 1/3 of Lot B (south end, closest to the Park). The chain link fence runs east all the way to the fence at Lot A. The fence along the border of Lots A and B is gone and there is heavy equipment present.

LoveYourSuit
10-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Just got a call from our Advanced Scout, Chisoxgirl. She drove by the park today. There is activity. Here is her report:

There is a plywood barrier along 35th Street starting at the Old Sycamore tree to Shields. The barrier then turn north on Shields where a chain link fence is present on Shields. The chain link fence is blocking off about 1/3 of Lot B (south end, closest to the Park). The chain link fence runs east all the way to the fence at Lot A. The fence along the border of Lots A and B is gone and there is heavy equipment present.

so it looks to be exclusively to LOT B (this project).

I still think they should do something all the way into lot A to the edge of Wenthworth so that Dan Ryan traffic could catch a glimpse of the activity. Curve appeal is great for business.

DumpJerry
10-25-2008, 03:26 PM

I still think they should do something all the way into lot A to the edge of Wenthworth so that Dan Ryan traffic could catch a glimpse of the activity. Curve appeal is great for business.
Lot A is used for tour buses (yes, we get them, too. It's not just a Urinal thing).

The Dan Ryan is below grade, you can't see the curb or curves in the parking lots from there.

Brian26
10-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Curve appeal is great for business.

Curb appeal is too.

LoveYourSuit
10-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Curb appeal is too.

LOL!

Thanks.

Thank God I was never an English Major nor attempting to write a term paper here at WSI.

TheOldRoman
10-25-2008, 05:08 PM

I wouldn't assume that only having the fence over Lot B means nothing will go over A. I mean, right now, the fence is just over the area where they will be tearing down. I don't know how construction works, but I wouldn't imagine they would have to fence off parts of Lot A where they wouldn't start doing work for several weeks. We shall see.

DumpJerry
10-25-2008, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't assume that only having the fence over Lot B means nothing will go over A. I mean, right now, the fence is just over the area where they will be tearing down. I don't know how construction works, but I wouldn't imagine they would have to fence off parts of Lot A where they wouldn't start doing work for several weeks. We shall see.
Parking is a huge revenue source for the Sox. I don't see them sacrificing too many spots.

LoveYourSuit
10-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Parking is a huge revenue source for the Sox. I don't see them sacrificing too many spots.

I think with public transportation expansion around the ball park and the fact that parking prices are thru the roof these days.... more and more people will opt to go the public route rather than driving to the games. I think this will become the majority form of getting to games in the future.

itsnotrequired
10-26-2008, 06:19 AM
I think with public transportation expansion around the ball park and the fact that parking prices are thru the roof these days.... more and more people will opt to go the public route rather than driving to the games. I think this will become the majority form of getting to games in the future.

As long as tailgating is allowed, the parking lots will be full.

Hitmen77
10-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Unfortunately, public transportation is still not a good option for many Sox fans. If you live in the suburbs, night games aren't a good option. In addition to the time to take the el back to the loop and then walk to Union Station, then may have to wait for up to an hour for the next train to depart on your line since service is only hourly late in the evening. Then you're in for a long ride home on an "all-stop" train. For Sunday day games, Sunday Metra service is very sporadic.

I agree that public trans. is the way to go for those who live in the city or otherwise close enough to the el....and it may turn out to be a good option for people in the SW suburbs with the new Metra stop. But the Sox do draw a lot of fans from places like DuPage and public trans. is just not a good option for most games.

dickallen15
10-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately, public transportation is still not a good option for many Sox fans. If you live in the suburbs, night games aren't a good option. In addition to the time to take the el back to the loop and then walk to Union Station, then may have to wait for up to an hour for the next train to depart on your line since service is only hourly late in the evening. Then you're in for a long ride home on an "all-stop" train. For Sunday day games, Sunday Metra service is very sporadic.

I agree that public trans. is the way to go for those who live in the city or otherwise close enough to the el....and it may turn out to be a good option for people in the SW suburbs with the new Metra stop. But the Sox do draw a lot of fans from places like DuPage and public trans. is just not a good option for most games.

If you take the Red Line and do the free switch at Jackson and head to the Blue, Clinton is pretty close to Union Station. For those using Metra and Oglivie, the Green line drops you off a block away.

Brian26
10-26-2008, 11:56 AM
If you take the Red Line and do the free switch at Jackson and head to the Blue, Clinton is pretty close to Union Station. For those using Metra and Oglivie, the Green line drops you off a block away.

Very true. I think Hitmen was more focusing on the timing issue. For example, the UP West line out of Ogilvie leaves at 9:40, 10:40, 11:40, 12:40 in the evening. If a Sox game ends at 10:05, you have to absolutely haul ass and have luck on your side if you want to get back to Ogilvie from the Cell to catch that 10:40 train. If you miss it, you're stuck at Ogilvie until the next train comes at 11:40. If you're going out to Elmhurst or Wheaton, you're looking at 12:15 or 12:30 until you hop off the train, and then add in walk/car ride home from there. That makes for a 2.5 hr commute home when a car ride may have been 30-45 minutes.

DumpJerry
10-26-2008, 12:14 PM
They don't allow grilling, beer and/or Cornhole on the El or Metra.

dakuda
10-26-2008, 02:10 PM
They don't allow grilling, beer and/or Cornhole on the El or Metra.

Actually, beer on Metra is OK most of the time. I should try to grill one day. :)

It takes about 2 hours for me to get to the park via train. The cost is $9, round trip, on the weekends. The schedule of the Metra coming home is a PITA though.

Driving is about an hour and a half each way, most of the time. I get about 12 miles to the gallon for a 50 mile drive. Add to that the $22 in parking. It is normally not worth the extra $$ to me to tailgate.

DumpJerry
10-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Actually, beer on Metra is OK most of the time. I should try to grill one day. :)

It takes about 2 hours for me to get to the park via train. The cost is $9, round trip, on the weekends. The schedule of the Metra coming home is a PITA though.

Driving is about an hour and a half each way, most of the time. I get about 12 miles to the gallon for a 50 mile drive. Add to that the $22 in parking. It is normally not worth the extra $$ to me to tailgate.
Since you are coming from Crystal Lake, an alternative would be to park by the Blue Line near O'Hare off the Kennedy. Take the Blue Line in to Clark/Lake, go upstairs to the Green Line to the south side and get off at 35th-Bronzville. This will save you a little in gas and, IIRC, the parking at the Blue Line is much less than at Comiskey.

Hitmen77
10-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Very true. I think Hitmen was more focusing on the timing issue. For example, the UP West line out of Ogilvie leaves at 9:40, 10:40, 11:40, 12:40 in the evening. If a Sox game ends at 10:05, you have to absolutely haul ass and have luck on your side if you want to get back to Ogilvie from the Cell to catch that 10:40 train. If you miss it, you're stuck at Ogilvie until the next train comes at 11:40. If you're going out to Elmhurst or Wheaton, you're looking at 12:15 or 12:30 until you hop off the train, and then add in walk/car ride home from there. That makes for a 2.5 hr commute home when a car ride may have been 30-45 minutes.

Yep, exactly. Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe Metra will eventually be a good option for SW suburbanites when the 35th St. station opens (if the trains are timed well), but there will always be a sizable contingent of Sox fans for which driving is still the best option.