PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Not tonight 4/14 postgame

chisoxmike
04-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Let's start beating other teams besides Detroit, guys...

Navarro's Talent
04-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Per usual, Mike Sweeney kills the Sox.

chisoxfanatic
The great thing is that they have another game to prepare for in just 15 hours. Go get 'em tomorrow with Danks on the mound!

I'm looking forward to getting out to the ballpark tomorrow!

FireMariotti
Damn, we wasted way too many chances in this one.

Blueprint1
04-14-2008, 09:56 PM
I hate when we can't hit. :mad:

JB98
We still need some answers against left-handed pitching. Not a good offensive game tonight.

At least Buehrle quieted claims that he is injured. He gave up some hits, but not many runs. Normal Buehrle outing, as far as I'm concerned.

oeo
Awful, awful ABs in the 9th by Quentin and Crede.

Irishsox1
I am so tired of Mike Sweeney!

chisoxmike
Usual **** against lefties and guys with change-ups.

That's gotta change.

balke
04-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Good pitching by the A's. I expect a blow up by the offense next game.

ChiSoxGirl
Well, that was anti-climactic.... :mad:

TheOldRoman
Walkerball. Catch the fever!

Boondock Saint
I don't mean to be a dark cloud here, but I'd be saying this if we won, too. These last couple games reek of '06. A couple dominating performances followed by a no-show. I hope we can find some consistency soon.

oeo
04-14-2008, 09:58 PM
We still need some answers against left-handed pitching. Not a good offensive game tonight.

Greg Smith could have been a righty, and I'd imagine we would have seen the same thing.

We have been successful against a few lefties this year...it's way too early to tell if they will have trouble against them. It's way too early to know what to expect from this team period. I'm lost...:scratch:

What this team needs is some better advanced scouting.

RockJock07
04-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Soft-tossing lefties with good change-ups just kill the sox. Other then Swisher and AJ, everyone else looked pretty bad.

I hate to lose, but if we keep pitching like this, we'll win our fair share of games.

Navarro's Talent
04-14-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't mean to be a dark cloud here, but I'd be saying this if we won, too. These last couple games reek of '06. A couple dominating performances followed by a no-show. I hope we can find some consistency soon.

I don't think it will be like 2006. Swisher's like a stick of dynamite, and he'll keep us in lots of games in which the rest of the team looks cold (like most of the players tonight).

PeoriaSoxFan
04-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Looking back, I wish AJ wouldn't have been hit by that pitch. He was probably our best shot in that inning. I am a little worried about tomorrow's pitching matchup. Looks like another good young lefthander.

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Way too many wasted opportunities...another waste of pretty good starting pitching....

We need to start getting it done against other teams than Detroit....

sox1970
04-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Seriously...enough of Jim Thome in the 3-hole against lefties.

chisoxmike
04-14-2008, 10:01 PM
What this team needs is some better advanced scouting.

Uh, yeah, exactly. I've been screaming for this for two years now.

chisoxfanatic
04-14-2008, 10:02 PM

Jim Thome had better get it going...seriously! This is not looking good for him!

LoveYourSuit
04-14-2008, 10:04 PM
We still had a shot to pull this one off, signs of a good team IMO.

Buehrle just paid back today for not losing the opener in Cleveland where he deserved to lose.

kevingrt
Was anybody else not extremely impressed with Oakland's starter as Hawk and DJ were. I thought we were a bit aggressive early and didn't really see many pitches minus Swisher's first AB. Considering he walked 5 guys in his first outing of the year I thought we could have been a bit more patient.

Stringer

co-sign

RockJock07
04-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Yeah, he and Carlos looked lost this evening, not a good performance tonight, although this kid was pitching pretty well.

Dan Mega
This team is horrible against guys that a)are lefty and b)throw crap all night.

chisoxmike
Let's blame every loss on Jim Thome!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

kevingrt
04-14-2008, 10:06 PM
This team is horrible against guys that a)are lefty and b)throw crap all night.

B is so correct. I feel like this is 2003/2004 again when we could not hit first time starters.

oeo
04-14-2008, 10:06 PM

He's not hitting anyone right now.

And when Quentin/Crede have awful games like tonight, it's really going to show. Dye, AJ, Quentin, and Crede have been carrying the load to this point. Thome and Konerko need to either step up, or step out of the way.

JB98
04-14-2008, 10:08 PM
He's not hitting anyone right now.

And when Quentin/Crede have awful games like tonight, it's really going to show. Dye, AJ, Quentin, and Crede have been carrying the load to this point. Thome and Konerko need to either step up, or step out of the way.

Konerko was good yesterday, but he struggled today. He'll be OK. He's a notorious slow starter.

I'm glad we're 7-5 with minimal contributions from Thome and Konerko. I have tremendous faith in both of them.

sox1970
04-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Let's blame every loss on Jim Thome!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

It's not him. It's Ozzie putting him there every game. 3 years now. The sample size is big enough.

Lip Man 1
04-14-2008, 10:09 PM
OEO:

Your point about advanced scouting reminded me that I sent Mark Gonzales the same question for his mailbag last year. He said it wasn't the scouting, that Bryan Little and his people supply the Sox with the proper information.

The problem appears to be what they do with that information (or not do...)

Lip

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Lets not forget how badly the two pickoffs hurt us....

whitesoxfan
04-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Realistically, I was only looking at taking one of two from Oakland.

Let's hope we take that one tomorrow.

TheOldRoman
I don't mean to be a dark cloud here, but I'd be saying this if we won, too. These last couple games reek of '06. A couple dominating performances followed by a no-show. I hope we can find some consistency soon.Exactly. That is why the poster proudly asking "where are the Walker bashers now?" yesterday was off. We have always had games like the last two under Walker. Our downfall has been our inability to get the runs consistently. If we score 10 one game, 7 another, and 1 in the third, we averaged 6 runs over those 3 games. It makes the offense look much better than it really is. I will takes it a step further, the last couple of games reeked of '01-'04 and '06.

soltrain21
It's not him. It's Ozzie putting him there every game. 3 years now. The sample size is big enough.

You honestly think Jim Thome is the reason this team hasn't been successful for the last three years? Honestly? How about ****ty pitching all around?

Arkham
04-14-2008, 10:11 PM
I wonder what we can expect to see tomorrow against Eveland, another pitcher we've never seen. I know his numbers that show that in 64 1/3 innings with Milwaukee and Arizona over the last few years, he was teed off on, (87 H, 7.55 ERA, 58 K, 39 BB,) and that in his two starts with Oakland this year, he's looked like Cy Young (13 1/3 IP, 9 H, 13 K, 4 BB, 1 R,) and of course he's a lefty. Anyone else got a bad feeling?

sox1970
04-14-2008, 10:12 PM
You honestly think Jim Thome is the reason this team hasn't been successful for the last three years? Honestly? How about ****ty pitching all around?

I'm talking about his own performance against lefties. He's awful.

FireMariotti
04-14-2008, 10:12 PM
I just can't stand the Sox losing to these pitchers I've never heard of. It happens too often.

thomas35forever
04-14-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm talking about his own performance against lefties. He's awful.
Yes, but there's a certain "ace" in Cleveland that will disagree with you.

oeo
04-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Konerko was good yesterday, but he struggled today. He'll be OK. He's a notorious slow starter.

They're both going to be 'OK.' Right now, they're not, though. We have other options, so shake it up a little bit (or a lot). Tomorrow, I'd like to see something like this:
Quentin, RF
Cabrera, SS
Swish, LF
Dye, DH
Konerko, 1B
AJ, C
Crede, 3B
Anderson, CF
Ozuna, 2B

RockJock07
04-14-2008, 10:15 PM
I think Thome should have a day off tomorrow, maybe have BA in CF, Swisher at 1B and Paulie DHing with A Ram at 2nd.

TheOldRoman
04-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Was anybody else not extremely impressed with Oakland's starter as Hawk and DJ were. I thought we were a bit aggressive early and didn't really see many pitches minus Swisher's first AB. Considering he walked 5 guys in his first outing of the year I thought we could have been a bit more patient.Yes, the only time Hawk and DJ anger me is when they make excuses for horrible hitting. Don't tell me than John Rheinecker is such an underrated pitcher or Julian Tavarez (a reliever making an emergency start) dominated to the tune of 1 hit. They should say "absolutely terrible hitting tonight. He is throwing garbage, and they can't do a thing with it".

Actually, it has only been for two years (and two weeks), and the sample size has shown Thome to be a huge offensive force.

chisoxfanatic
04-14-2008, 10:17 PM
I think Thome should have a day off tomorrow, maybe have BA in CF, Swisher at 1B and Paulie DHing with A Ram at 2nd.

I'd rather simply DH Dye, move Swisher to RF, and have BA be in CF if there are any moves at all. I'd rather Ramirez only be used for junk time duty.

Jerko
04-14-2008, 10:19 PM
How about leaving the D as is and just let Ozuna DH? We don't need to make 5 moves.

JB98
04-14-2008, 10:20 PM
They're both going to be 'OK.' Right now, they're not, though. We have other options, so shake it up a little bit (or a lot). Tomorrow, I'd like to see something like this:
Quentin, RF
Cabrera, SS
Swish, LF
Dye, DH
Konerko, 1B
AJ, C
Crede, 3B
Anderson, CF
Ozuna, 2B

Even with the loss tonight, we're 7-3 last 10, so I'm not inclined to make major changes like that. Quentin struggled as much as anybody this evening. What is the justification for moving him to the top of the lineup?

I'd keep the exact same lineup out there again tomorrow. Maybe throw Ozuna in for Uribe. That's about the only change I'd consider. Pablo has sparked us against lefties frequently the last few years.

oeo
04-14-2008, 10:21 PM
How about leaving the D as is and just let Ozuna DH? We don't need to make 5 moves.

Swish-Anderson-Quentin is the best possible defensive outfield we have.

Really, does it matter that much that guys are going to be moved around? I thought that's what Kenny wanted when he assembled this team...a lot of options.

Lip Man 1
04-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Roman:

I think it's still far too early in the season to have any sense as to where things will be going from a consistency standpoint with the team.

However in view of your point, I was curious and in the 12 games (counting this evening) that the Sox have played, in four games, they scored three runs or less. (4/2-L) (4/3-W) (4/11-L) (4/14-L)

Lip

sox1970
04-14-2008, 10:23 PM
I'd go with this tomorrow:

Ozuna-DH
Cabrera-SS
Swisher-LF
Konerko-1B
Dye-RF
Pierzynski-C
Crede-3B
Anderson-CF
Uribe-2B

itsnotrequired
04-14-2008, 10:24 PM
tome has got 2 b fun-key

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-14-2008, 10:24 PM
It's disappointing that we can't seem to beat anybody besides Detroit. We're now 2-4 against everyone else. Detroit might be good eventually, but they aren't right now, and I'm afraid those six games have made the Sox look better than they actually are.

I think it's about time that Ozzie plays the guys who can produce rather than the guys that get paid a lot. That means that MacDougal should be used for mop-up only, and Thome should ride the bench, at least against lefties. We shouldn't be losing games where we allow only two runs.

oeo
04-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Even with the loss tonight, we're 7-3 last 10, so I'm not inclined to make major changes like that. Quentin struggled as much as anybody this evening. What is the justification for moving him to the top of the lineup?

It's not a permanent change; it's for tomorrow's game, and tomorrow's game only.

Quentin had a rough day today, but hit a lot of balls hard yesterday. Unfortunately, one was right at Jacque Jones, and another one he hit a mile high to deep left field.

I'd keep the exact same lineup out there again tomorrow. Maybe throw Ozuna in for Uribe. That's about the only change I'd consider. Pablo has sparked us against lefties frequently the last few years.

The middle of the lineup is going to kill us, until they start to do something. Luckily, we've gotten good starts from our 6-7-8 hitters, or we'd be in the cellar with the Tigers, unfortunately. I'm looking for a way to get some production against the lefty tomorrow...you can keep the same, but there's a great chance we'll get the same result as tonight.

Brian26
04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
On the bright side, the Sox bullpen continues to impress. What a performance by Boone Logan to get out of that jam.

RockJock07
04-14-2008, 10:26 PM

Yeah, Carlos in the leadoff spot is not a good move IMO, but I disagree with putting the same lineup out there. I would shake it up a bit, take out Thome and move some pieces around.

oeo
04-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah, Carlos in the leadoff spot is not a good move IMO, but I disagree with putting the same lineup out there. I would shake it up a bit, take out Thome and move some pieces around.

Fine, if there's such a big problem with Quentin leading off, move him down, and put Ozuna at leadoff. I did say I'd like to see 'something like it.' I think Quentin would be fine leading off tomorrow...much better than Ozuna, in fact.

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-14-2008, 10:30 PM
I dunno about you guys but Swisher has really impressed me as a lead-off man so far...the Sox are not a stoeln base team so what difference does it make if Swisher is going to steal or not...he gets on base...good enough for me....

As far as the whole Thome deal...I really like the Anderson/Quentin/Swisher outfield with Dye DH'ing instead of Thome....

Sockinchisox
04-14-2008, 10:31 PM

Ozzie said in the postgame show that Thome is getting a day off tomorrow.

RockJock07
04-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Fine, if there's such a big problem with Quentin leading off, move him down, and put Ozuna at leadoff. I did say I'd like to see 'something like it.' I think Quentin would be fine leading off tomorrow...much better than Ozuna, in fact.

I would love for Quentin to be in there, maybe even put him in the 3 hole if you want, I'm ok with Ozuna leading off.

sox1970
04-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Ozzie said in the postgame show that Thome is getting a day off tomorrow.

Good. Got Loewen on Wednesday too. Righties the rest of the week.

oeo
04-14-2008, 10:33 PM
I would love for Quentin to be in there, maybe even put him in the 3 hole if you want, I'm ok with Ozuna leading off.

You'd rather Quentin bat third? :scratch:

JB98
04-14-2008, 10:34 PM
It's not a permanent change; it's for tomorrow's game, and tomorrow's game only.

Quentin had a rough day today, but hit a lot of balls hard yesterday. Unfortunately, one was right at Jacque Jones, and another one he hit a mile high to deep left field.

The middle of the lineup is going to kill us, until they start to do something. Luckily, we've gotten good starts from our 6-7-8 hitters, or we'd be in the cellar with the Tigers, unfortunately. I'm looking for a way to get some production against the lefty tomorrow...you can keep the same, but there's a great chance we'll get the same result as tonight.

I'm just not a tinkerer. Through the years, I blasted Jerry Manuel for his constant experimentation. I've blasted Ozzie for his notorious "Sunday" lineups.

I like to go with the best players, and I don't let one loss deter me too much. If we lose four or five in a row, I might think about shaking it up. But this 2-1 defeat, while disappointing, does not make me want to change the lineup for tomorrow.

TheOldRoman
04-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Roman:

I think it's still far too early in the season to have any sense as to where things will be going from a consistency standpoint with the team.

However in view of your point, I was curious and in the 12 games (counting this evening) that the Sox have played, in four games, they scored three runs or less. (4/2-L) (4/3-W) (4/11-L) (4/14-L)

Lip
I agree, it is too early to blow a gasket. You are looking at a kinder, gentler Roman this year. I am going to try to take the season in stride and enjoy every game. SERENITY NOW!:D:

I am just basing my concern on two inexcusably horrible performances sandwiched around two offensive explosions. When you get 9 innings of Tigers Bullpen and 7 of Greg Smith, and come away with 3 runs combined, you might have a little problem. If this came out of nowhere, it would be no big deal, but we have seen these performances many times over the last several years. But at least we are averaging over 5 runs a game over the last 4 games.

Hopefully this season is different than the last several. We have a lot more offensive talent, and it has the opportunity to get much better when Richar gets healthy. We have many more guys who take pitches than in the past. There will be ups and downs no matter what, but hopefully we are a lot more consistent than in the past.

oeo
04-14-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm just not a tinkerer. Through the years, I blasted Jerry Manuel for his constant experimentation. I've blasted Ozzie for his notorious "Sunday" lineups.

I like to go with the best players, and I don't let one loss deter me too much. If we lose four or five in a row, I might think about shaking it up. But this 2-1 defeat, while disappointing, does not make me want to change the lineup for tomorrow.

Well, Thome and Konerko are not the best players right now. They're just not. The best managers play the hot hand. You don't stick with a guy that's batting .150 in the #3 slot, or you're going to get fired. There's a difference between 'tinkering' and playing your hot players. If you're struggling, you have to make moves.

And it wasn't just tonight's game, it's been all year. The reason we've been scoring runs has not been because of Thome and Konerko, it's been because of Dye, AJ, Quentin, and Crede. Why not move those guys up, and get us some more runs right now?

jabrch
04-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Walkerball. Catch the fever!

Come on... We scored 18 runs in two games. Was that supposed to be in teal?

JB98
04-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Well, Thome and Konerko are not the best players right now. They're just not. The best managers play the hot hand. You don't stick with a guy that's batting .150 in the #3 slot, or you're going to get fired.

It's not just tonight's game, it's been all year. The reason we've been scoring runs has not been because of Thome and Konerko, it's been because of Dye, AJ, Quentin, and Crede. Why not move those guys up, and get us some more runs right now?

"All year" is 12 games. Whoop-dee-doo.

oeo
04-14-2008, 10:42 PM
"All year" is 12 games. Whoop-dee-doo.

And it's not working! Look around the league, managers make changes when things aren't working. Lou Pinella has made how many changes already?

If you don't like changes, how do you watch baseball everyday? You must have died when Ozzie moved Ramirez to the bench and Quentin into LF after two games...

Chicken Dinner
04-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Thome and DJ were brutal tonight! I hated every at bat Thome had, and DJ just sucks!.

JB98
04-14-2008, 10:46 PM
And it's not working! Look around the league, managers make changes when things aren't working. Lou Pinella has made how many changes already?

If you don't like changes, how do you watch baseball everyday? You must have died when Ozzie moved Ramirez to the bench and Quentin into LF after two games...

I don't even know why I post here after a loss.

This is just ridiculous. We're 7-3 in our last 10 games. Nothing's working.

This whole thread is just a steaming pile of bull****. I'm done for the night. See ya.

goon
04-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Bottom Line: Don't start Thome, Konerko, Crede, Uribe or Quentin against armchair Lefties.

My lineup looks something like this:

Ozuna - 3B
Cabrera - SS
Swisher - LF
Dye - RF
Pierzynski - C
Anderson - CF
TOBY - 1B
Ramirez - 2B
Vazquez - DH

:happybday:happybday:):)

TheOldRoman
04-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Come on... We scored 18 runs in two games. Was that supposed to be in teal?Yes, and sandwiched around that we score 3 runs combined over 16 innings of the Tigers bullpen and Greg freakin' Smith.

oeo
04-14-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't even know why I post here after a loss.

This is just ridiculous. We're 7-3 in our last 10 games. Nothing's working.
Maybe you should read here after a loss, before you post.

I didn't say 'nothing is working.' In fact, I keep saying that the bottom of the lineup is what's working. What isn't working is the middle of the lineup, which is why I'm looking for ways to make that change.

This whole thread is just a steaming pile of bull****. I'm done for the night. See ya.It's bull****, because people are trying to find ways to get production out of the middle of the lineup? If you haven't noticed, we're not winning because of what Thome and Konerko are doing (or not doing).

If you had it your way, I guess Ramirez would still be in CF right now. Changes (or as you call it, "tinkering") are apparently all wrong in your book.

Count me as one of those that doesn't care about just wins, but how they're getting them. I'm not a fan of "winning ugly," or winning games on nothing but solo homeruns. Often times, I'll still be mad after a win because of some bull**** relief pitching, or for instance tonight, when Cabrera ****ed up a ground ball that could have brought the game out of reach.

I like the W's, but if Thome and Konerko don't step up, they're not going to sustain them. I'd like to see the middle of the lineup with some production in order to keep rolling W's.

TomBradley72
04-14-2008, 11:08 PM
They just didn't have the right approach at the plate tonight. We swung at a TON of pitches that were out of the strike zone. Not just Quentin and Crede in the 9th...but Thome, Paulie, Uribe, entire strike outs where every strike was actually out of the strike zone. We're helping the other pitchers way too much. As good as our OBP has been, it could be even better with more discipline.

Only Swisher seems to have the discipline to take this approach every day/every AB. Oh well...as someone mentioned earlier, we've won 7 of our last 10, we're playing great defense, and Buehrle, Vazquez and Floyd are looking good...if Contreras and Danks can get on board...I like our chances.

WhiteSox5187
04-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Roman:

Lip
That stat scares the beejesus out of me. We HAVE to change that stat if we want to contend...I like the offense but I still wish we had one that could manufacture runs a bit better.

I'm upset that we were shut down again by a soft throwing lefty, but part of me thinks that this kid might wind up doing that to a lot of teams. We'll see.

CQ just looked lost up there in the ninth today.

hi im skot
04-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Bummer of a game. My BBQ brisket sandwich was a welcome change from the kosher with onions, though.

Qdiddy
04-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Not to beat a dead horse, but we seriously need to bench Uribe and play Ramirez at 2nd base. At this point, Uribe is an automatic out for us right now. I don't think his defense is that good to make up for his.171 Avg. and .236 OBP. Everyone is quick to bring up his strong arm, but Ramirez is a natural 2nd baseman and is more than capable of playing a solid 2nd base for us. Plus, he too has a rocket of an arm.

Ramirez shouldn't be judged on two bad games. His approach at the plate is better than Uribe and I think we could use his speed at the bottom of the lineup.

I guess I'm just sick of watching him strikeout. He's just swinging at everything in sight and it's getting old fast. We can't afford to blow another season waiting for this guy to start producing at the plate.

soltrain21
04-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Not to beat a dead horse, but we seriously need to bench Uribe and play Ramirez at 2nd base. At this point, Uribe is an automatic out for us right now. I don't think his defense is that good to make up for his.171 Avg. and .236 OBP. Everyone is quick to bring up his strong arm, but Ramirez is a natural 2nd baseman and is more than capable of playing a solid 2nd base for us. Plus, he too has a rocket of an arm.

Ramirez shouldn't be judged on two bad games. His approach at the plate is better than Uribe and I think we could use his speed at the bottom of the lineup.

I guess I'm just sick of watching him strikeout. He's just swinging at everything in sight and it's getting old fast. We can't afford to blow another season waiting for this guy to start producing at the plate.

How do you know that he can play a solid second base? He is still pretty raw and needs to be in AAA. If he can not make errors there, then bring him on up; but I've seen nothing (spring training) that would lead me to believe he can hold the job full time.

WhiteSox5187
04-15-2008, 12:22 AM
How do you know that he can play a solid second base? He is still pretty raw and needs to be in AAA. If he can not make errors there, then bring him on up; but I've seen nothing (spring training) that would lead me to believe he can hold the job full time.
Agreed, and Uribe is not the reason we lost this game. The two pickoffs and awful at bats by almost everyone on the team (except for maybe AJ and JD) are the reason we lost.

hi im skot
04-15-2008, 12:27 AM
The best part of the night was riding home on the blue line with Jens Lekman; so random/awesome.

Nellie_Fox
04-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Agreed, and Uribe is not the reason we lost this game. The two pickoffs and awful at bats by almost everyone on the team (except for maybe AJ and JD) are the reason we lost.Another left hander getting away with a balk move.

Qdiddy
04-15-2008, 01:29 AM

The better question is why don't you think he can hold down second base? Yes, he is raw, but this isn't a player coming out of high school or college. He's a veteran of Cuba's elite national team. Per Wikipedia, in seven years of playing baseball in Cuba, Ramirez spent most of his time playing second base (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_base) and outfield (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outfield), though he professes a love for the shortstop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortstop) position. He has a very good career .335 batting average in Cuba, and led the league in 2007 with a .338 average and 20 home runs. Ramírez played center field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_field) for Cuba at the 2006 World Baseball Classic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_World_Baseball_Classic), collecting 6 hits in 16 at-bats and impressing US scouts in the process. He hits and throws right-handed.

The reason why he made the team was because of his outstanding hitting. I understand that it was spring training but what you look for is his approach at the plate. He's a much more dangerous line drive hitter than Uribe. And he's faster. We have no speed in the lineup. How nice would it be to have Ramirez get a hit, steal 2nd, and score on a hit from Swisher or Cabrera. Swisher would also benefit from seeing more fastball too.

Let's be honest though..if Uribe is hitting .171 with a .227 OBP and according to you he's capable of holding down the position full-time. How hard can it be?? Ramirez can at least do that. Hell, anyone can do that.

Jurr
04-15-2008, 06:34 AM
The better question is why don't you think he can hold down second base? Yes, he is raw, but this isn't a player coming out of high school or college. He's a veteran of Cuba's elite national team. Per Wikipedia, in seven years of playing baseball in Cuba, Ramirez spent most of his time playing second base (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_base) and outfield (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outfield), though he professes a love for the shortstop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortstop) position. He has a very good career .335 batting average in Cuba, and led the league in 2007 with a .338 average and 20 home runs. Ramírez played center field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_field) for Cuba at the 2006 World Baseball Classic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_World_Baseball_Classic), collecting 6 hits in 16 at-bats and impressing US scouts in the process. He hits and throws right-handed.

The reason why he made the team was because of his outstanding hitting. I understand that it was spring training but what you look for is his approach at the plate. He's a much more dangerous line drive hitter than Uribe. And he's faster. We have no speed in the lineup. How nice would it be to have Ramirez get a hit, steal 2nd, and score on a hit from Swisher or Cabrera. Swisher would also benefit from seeing more fastball too.

Let's be honest though..if Uribe is hitting .171 with a .227 OBP and according to you he's capable of holding down the position full-time. How hard can it be?? Ramirez can at least do that. Hell, anyone can do that.
I saw the guy live, and even when he made contact, it was terribly weak. He needs time to adjust to MLB pitching, and it's not up here.

alohafri
04-15-2008, 07:22 AM
On the bright side, the Sox bullpen continues to impress. What a performance by Boone Logan to get out of that jam.

But can you tell me what MacDoodieinmypants brings to the table...except for giving Boone Logan a chance to shine?

stl_sox_fan
04-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Add Greg Smith to the list of soft tossin lefties the Sox have trouble against. Those ABs were painful at times to watch.

When will Sweeney finally retire and stop tormenting Sox pitching? I swear it seams he always hits well against them.

palehozenychicty
04-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Awful, awful ABs in the 9th by Quentin and Crede.

Seriously. Thome's 8th inning against Alan Embree was atrocius too. Alan Embree. :(:

MsSoxVixen22
04-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Hawk's "rally bonnet" didn't work! :mad: Good effort by Buehrle but let's get 'em tonite boys! The A's aren't that good

Madscout
04-15-2008, 09:08 AM

Bull****. It will be better, but right now, Ramirez has an approach that belongs in AAA.

Madscout
04-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Agreed, and Uribe is not the reason we lost this game. The two pickoffs and awful at bats by almost everyone on the team (except for maybe AJ and JD) are the reason we lost.

You mean a pickoff and at least one balk. That 7th inning job was a balk. You have to step directly to the base that your are going to throw to, and he went at home and threw to first.

WhiteSox5187
04-15-2008, 12:01 PM
You mean a pickoff and at least one balk. That 7th inning job was a balk. You have to step directly to the base that your are going to throw to, and he went at home and threw to first.
I think both of them were balks, it killed momentum and most lefties get away with that sort of move.

GoSox2K3
04-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Thome and DJ were brutal tonight! I hated every at bat Thome had, and DJ just sucks!.

:?:

Chicken Dinner
04-15-2008, 12:21 PM
:?:

He's (DJ) is very very tough to listen to when he's calling the game by himself.