PDA

View Full Version : Why did Buehrle get skipped in the rotation yesterday?

Zook 'Em
04-14-2008, 03:48 PM
I haven't read anything about it in any game stories I perused- plus I didn't get to see the game yesterday so I don't know if it was covered there- and forgive me if this has been covered in another thread.

I'm assuming it was because of all of Detroit's struggling right-handed batters, Ozzie decided to stick with another nasty right-hander after Gavin ate them up on Saturday. Which would make perfect sense and it obviously worked out fantastic, it just struck me as odd because Ozzie's not normally known for tinkering with the rotation in that manner like some managers do.

PorkChopExpress
04-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Plus Oakland is lefty-heavy, I think.

Mr.1Dog
04-14-2008, 03:53 PM
He lost his glasses.

balke
04-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Danks and Contreras need to stay on schedule. Buehrle does better against lefties, and Oakland is more lefty than Detroit. Buehrle is more the guy who can be moved in the rotation due to his routine.

UofCSoxFan
04-14-2008, 03:54 PM
After the Twins Sox game got rained out on Thursday, with the extra day off, Ozzie announced the switch. The reasoning was it would give MB an extra day off (help rest his arm a bit) and a better matchup as Oakland has a lefty dominated line-up while allowing Javy to pitch with his normal days rest. There is speculation that they will switch back sometime after the Tampa Bay series when there is another day off.

Zook 'Em
04-14-2008, 03:56 PM
After the Twins Sox game got rained out on Thursday, with the extra day off, Ozzie announced the switch. The reasoning was it would give MB an extra day off (help rest his arm a bit) and a better matchup as Oakland has a lefty dominated line-up while allowing Javy to pitch with his normal days rest. There is speculation that they will switch back sometime after the Tampa Bay series when there is another day off.Thanks, appreciate the info.

Lukin13
04-14-2008, 04:02 PM
My guess was that with the terrible weather that was forecasted for the weekend that Ozzie didn't want to waste a Buehrle start on a game that might not get out of the second inning.

Zook 'Em
04-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Well, it's not like a Vasquez start, at this point, is any less important to not waste.

sox1970
04-14-2008, 04:06 PM
It was just about matchups. Buehrle will still get his 33 starts.

In a couple weeks it'll be Vazquez, Buehrle, Floyd, Contreras, Danks

TDog
04-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Plus Oakland is lefty-heavy, I think.

The A's have a platoon in centerfield, and apparently the right-handed hitter who is in the platoon seems to be a very good hitter. Lefty-heavy or not, the A's hit Sabathia, early often and hard. Maybe Sabbathia hasn't been a very good pitcher this year.

Skipping Buehrle may well have been about the matchups, and I trust Guillen's judgment.

Gammons Peter
04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Matchups and protecting their investment by not running up his innings early.
Lets hope those are the reasons. The White Sox are quick to point out that there
is nothing wrong with him. If he gets lit up tonight there will be more injury talk.

Chez
04-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Didn't Ozzie state in spring training that he wanted to break up Buehrle and Danks in the rotation -- didn't want them going back-to-back? Levineline was speculating Sunday, that the Sox are covering up an injury to Buehrle. Considering the source, I doubt that's the case but now you've got Buehrle and Danks back-to-back in the roation.

TDog
04-14-2008, 04:42 PM
... Levineline was speculating Sunday, that the Sox are covering up an injury to Buehrle. Considering the source, I doubt that's the case but now you've got Buehrle and Danks back-to-back in the roation.

On A's radio Friday night, the announcers were talking about the A's facing Buehrle and Danks in the two-game series while pitching two southpaws of their own. I think both teams are looking at the matchups. If the White Sox were covering up an injury, I don't see why they wouldn't have pushed Buehrle back one day so far in advance.

sox1970
04-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Cooper said he worked out a schedule until early May. He said Buehrle would pitch 4/14, 4/19, 4/24/ and 4/29.

If they were covering up an injury, I doubt he would say this.

oeo
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Didn't Ozzie state in spring training that he wanted to break up Buehrle and Danks in the rotation -- didn't want them going back-to-back? Levineline was speculating Sunday, that the Sox are covering up an injury to Buehrle. Considering the source, I doubt that's the case but now you've got Buehrle and Danks back-to-back in the roation.

Yep, the way you let an injury heal is to just wait an extra day. :rolleyes:

Coop has answered this question a billion times already: Buehrle is fine.

UofCSoxFan
04-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Yep, the way you let an injury heal is to just wait an extra day. :rolleyes:

Coop has answered this question a billion times already: Buehrle is fine.

Thats what we call the Dusty Baker/Joe Giardi school of pitching staff management.

JB98
04-14-2008, 06:36 PM

That's proof positive that Levineline has pure **** between his ears, not that we didn't know that already.

If Buehrle is hurt, one extra day off between starts isn't going to make a damn bit difference.

jdm2662
04-14-2008, 06:40 PM
That's proof positive that Levineline has pure **** between his ears, not that we didn't know that already.

If Buehrle is hurt, one extra day off between starts isn't going to make a damn bit difference.

I sometimes wonder about your profession (well, all the times...). Teams alter their rotation all the time. We know for a fact the Twins purposely altered their rotation so the Sox would face Santana. Why not? He owned them, and it was good baseball.

JB98
04-14-2008, 06:44 PM
I sometimes wonder about your profession (well, all the times...). Teams alter their rotation all the time. We know for a fact the Twins purposely altered their rotation so the Sox would face Santana. Why not? He owned them, and it was good baseball.

Radio is even worse than print. There is a lot of air space to fill with pure bull****.

ws05champs
04-14-2008, 06:59 PM
My guess was that with the terrible weather that was forecasted for the weekend that Ozzie didn't want to waste a Buehrle start on a game that might not get out of the second inning.

Plus, if Buehrle wasn't pitching, it would be easier to chain up in case he got the urge to slide on the wet tarp.:smile:

DeadMoney
04-14-2008, 08:05 PM
The real reason he was moved back ... is so he didn't have to start on April 18 and live up to last year's outing ... :wink:

sox1970
04-18-2008, 09:58 PM
According to whitesox.com, they're keeping Buehrle and Danks back to back, even after this weekend.

The Yankees series looks like this:

Tuesday: Wang vs. Contreras
Wednesday: Mussina vs. Vazquez
Thursday: Hughes vs. Floyd

JB98
04-18-2008, 10:01 PM
According to whitesox.com, they're keeping Buehrle and Danks back to back, even after this weekend.

The Yankees series looks like this:

Tuesday: Wang vs. Contreras
Wednesday: Mussina vs. Vazquez
Thursday: Hughes vs. Floyd

Joe Cowley is reporting the same this evening.