PDA

View Full Version : Greg Smith? Anyone know anything about him?

jabrch
04-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Tonight's opponent is a young lefty who most of us know nothing about. Traditionally, that's been a formula for a bad day for the Sox. Now I know that's just coincidence - but I can't help but be afraid.

Does anyone know what to expect from Smith?

balke
04-14-2008, 02:08 PM
He was 9-0 in A ball in 06' with 2 complete game shutouts. He had 71 K's to 38 BB's in 13 starts. He's got some impressive numbers. Last season wasn't so sparkly though.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/1205572 (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/1205572)

Looks like he pitches lefties really well. Then again I'm basing that off of 1.1 IP, haha.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Not even Oakland A's fans know anything about Greg Smith.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=304&f=2062&t=2333567&sto=pagestart#s=304&f=2062&t=2333567

Don't let Greg Smith scare you, how do you think he feels having to face the top offense in the AL on a cold night in Chicago.

rowand33
04-14-2008, 02:18 PM
guys making their first ever big league start or journeyman bums are the white sox kryptonite.

Remember Ervin Santana in 2005?

We made him look like Johan

balke
04-14-2008, 02:19 PM
His stats look as good as DLS's, must be a hall of famer too.

Droso5
04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
I get rattled when the Sox must face these type of pitchers, be it bums, journeymen or rookies. If we haven't seen 'em, it's bad to the bone. I was even worried when D-Train Willis came of the tracks and Lopez was thrown in, he dominated and made the offense look like a bunch of skirt chasing frat boys.

GoSox2K3
04-14-2008, 03:14 PM
I share the same concern/frustration as the other posters here. Rookie/journeyman/reliever-making-emergency-start seems to always equal the Sox offense being shut down. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mr. Smith looks like Johan Santana out there tonight.

jabrch
04-14-2008, 03:33 PM
I share the same concern/frustration as the other posters here. Rookie/journeyman/reliever-making-emergency-start seems to always equal the Sox offense being shut down. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mr. Smith looks like Johan Santana out there tonight.

After bombing Verlander and Rogers, that would just be too odd... That said, history indicates that there is a possibility.

spiffie
04-14-2008, 03:35 PM
The name "Kason Gabbard" still brings me chills.

The Immigrant
04-14-2008, 04:23 PM

Add John Rheinecker and Nate Cornejo to the list. Another one that gave us fits was Joaquin Benoit - he absolutely owned us.

The main problem we had with guys like that was a lack of patience that led our hitters to chase garbage pitches.

TDog
04-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Don't let Greg Smith scare you, how do you think he feels having to face the top offense in the AL on a cold night in Chicago.

When White Sox rookie Jerry Janeski pitched a three-hit shutout against the A's (with a solid lineup led by Reggie Jackson) on a cold night in Oakland in April 1970 before a crowd of less than 3,000, he was asked if he was nervous. As I recall, he made some kind of comment about the crowd being too small for him to be nervous.

The White Sox will have a bigger crowd tonight. But they have no scouting report on Greg Smith, at least none that could do them any good. If he has good control and keeps Sox hitters off stride, he could be tough. That is, if he pitches well, he could look good, and he has the edge of the Sox not knowing what to expect.

There have been pitchers making their debut who have failed miserably against the Sox. Miguel Asenco in his April 2002 MLB debut threw 16 pitches out of the strike zone, and Lofton, Durham, Thomas and Ordonez never swung, even at the wild pitch with two on. In Jake Westrook's major league debut against the Sox, he gave up six runs, all earned, on seven hits and two walks in 1.2 innings.

If Swisher faced Smith in intrasquad games before the 2007 season, they might know a little about him, but it won't be much.

Whitesox029
04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Add John Rheinecker and Nate Cornejo to the list. Another one that gave us fits was Joaquin Benoit - he absolutely owned us.

The main problem we had with guys like that was a lack of patience that led our hitters to chase garbage pitches.
Joe "Cy" Mays, the early version. Worst I've ever seen.

soxinem1
04-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Remember Ervin Santana in 2005? We made him look like Johan

I'm glad we beat him when it mattered (October 2005) than when it didn't.

oeo
04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
They just need to all take Swisher's approach. He said after facing Willis in Detroit that he never saw him before, so he was just going to sit back and see what he had to offer.

The Sox just need to take a lot of pitches early, and see what he's got. If his control is bad, then the Sox might knock him out early. If it's good, then we may see a lot of Ks until the second or third time through the order.

Just please don't go up there hacking.

TomBradley72
04-14-2008, 05:58 PM

This has been going on for decades. Somebody named Mike Warren (A's) no hit us in September of 1983, I remember listening to Harry Caray on the radio in the early 70's talking about this when Paul Lindblad (A's) owned the Sox.

hawkjt
04-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Blackburn of the twins shut us down last week. Never heard of him.

Maybe we are due..but its Oakland so not likely..they kill us.
I wish we could beat the hell out of these guys to show Nick he is with the right team.

Ryan Sweeney is ailing and may not play...fine...he is hitting .364 and would probably start the haunting immediately.

Lip Man 1
04-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Tom:

Paul Lindblad was a quality major league relief pitcher. In fact he was so good Roland almost traded Wilbur Wood to Washington to get him. (See Roland's WSI Interview...)

Big difference between someone like that with a long and solid MLB career and the stiffs that have owned the Sox since this decade began.

Lip

slowlearner
04-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Anthony Reyes back in '06. The Sox put up 33 runs against the Cards in the first two games of the series and Reyes throws a one-hitter in Game 3 (Thome HR).

Unknown pitchers always worry me a little.

TomBradley72
04-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Tom:

Paul Lindblad was a quality major league relief pitcher. In fact he was so good Roland almost traded Wilbur Wood to Washington to get him. (See Roland's WSI Interview...)

Big difference between someone like that with a long and solid MLB career and the stiffs that have owned the Sox since this decade began.

Lip

You're right Lip..I was putting him in the "emergency starter" category. I remember him completely shutting down the White Sox with nothing but slow stuff.

jabrch
04-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Anthony Reyes back in '06. The Sox put up 33 runs against the Cards in the first two games of the series and Reyes throws a one-hitter in Game 3 (Thome HR).

Reyes at least was a high end top prospect...

(That was one of the best games I ever saw)

jabrch
04-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Blackburn of the twins shut us down last week. Never heard of him.

He's shutting down EVERYONE

They just need to all take Swisher's approach. He said after facing Willis in Detroit that he never saw him before, so he was just going to sit back and see what he had to offer.

The Sox just need to take a lot of pitches early, and see what he's got. If his control is bad, then the Sox might knock him out early. If it's good, then we may see a lot of Ks until the second or third time through the order.

Just please don't go up there hacking.

That's fine - but you also don't want to go down 0-1 every AB either. Very often the best pitch you see to hit is the first one.

WhiteSox5187
04-14-2008, 08:05 PM
He's shutting down EVERYONE

That's fine - but you also don't want to go down 0-1 every AB either. Very often the best pitch you see to hit is the first one.
These are big league hitters, if they see a guy is jumping ahead of them 0-1 they'll jump on him.

FedEx227
04-14-2008, 08:14 PM

Jon Rheinecker from Texas was a great one.

Also Doug Waechter from the Devil Rays.

I had the "privilege" of being live for both of these White Sox stinkers.

slowlearner
04-14-2008, 08:33 PM
While he wasn't anywhere near a rookie, I will never forget Andy Hawkin's no-hitter in '90. Guy tossed a no-no and lost (by four runs no less).

Still the most bizarre Sox game ever.

jabrch
04-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Amazing...we shell Rogers and Verlander and can't score more than one run on Greg Smith... It is a funny game, huh?

Lip Man 1
04-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Jab:

I believe another "no-name" left hander goes for Oakland Tuesday.

Lip

TheOldRoman
04-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Jon Rheinecker from Texas was a great one.

Also Doug Waechter from the Devil Rays.

I had the "privilege" of being live for both of these White Sox stinkers.Lest we forget the great John Wasdin, or the normally ****ty Julian Tavarez, making an emergency start, absolutely "dominating" Sox hitters and lasting 6.1 innings with 5 K.

sox1970
04-14-2008, 10:57 PM
They have a few more first timers this week:

Tuesday-Dana Eveland (never faced)
Wednesday-Adam Loewen (never faced)
Thursday-Jeremy Guthrie (1 start vs. Sox-we hurt him)
Friday-Jeff Niemann (never faced)
Saturday-Andy Sonnanstine (1 start vs. Sox-6.1 Inn., 2 runs)
Sunday-Edwin Jackson (1 start vs. Sox--6 inn., 4 runs)

GoSox2K3
04-15-2008, 09:45 AM

Tuesday-Dana "Cy" Eveland (never faced)
Wednesday-Adam "Koufax" Loewen (never faced)
Friday-Jeff "Johan" Niemann (never faced)

...and these might be our nicknames for these guys on Monday.:angry:

jabrch
04-15-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing Neiman pitch. Have heard a lot of him since his college days.

soxinem1
04-15-2008, 10:25 AM

Tuesday-Dana Eveland (never faced)
Wednesday-Adam Loewen (never faced)
Friday-Jeff Niemann (never faced)

In all honesty, there are some solid arms in that group.

The Sox seem to have the problems against pitchers who don't throw very hard, but really disguise their change-up, slider, or curve well.

Now you can say this about any team. But it sure seems that you look at the box score for one of these guys the next time out after facing us, and they struggle to get out of the fifth inning.