PDA

View Full Version : Ok, what happens now?

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-02-2001, 07:03 PM
Ok, it's pretty clear that the Sox aren't going to make the playoffs, so what happens now? You guys think we'll have a respectable 2nd half & finish above 500, continue to play 500 ball the rest of the season , or collapse under the weight of apathy?

voodoochile
08-02-2001, 07:06 PM
While I agree that the odds are not good on the Sox making the playoffs, why does 7.5 out on August 2nd mean the season is over?

I'll discuss next year, but if the Sox get hot, they could be 4 games back in another week. Look at Cleveland's schedule. It is just plain brutal...

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-02-2001, 07:10 PM
That's the big question. CAN they get hot. They've been on this win one, lose one, win one, lose one run for almost 2 months now. They need to show me something before I start believing again.

voodoochile
08-02-2001, 07:16 PM
I understand that, but they have been playing a tougher schedule recently. Now they start playing some losing teams and that will hopefully help the winning %...

I agree though, cautious optimism is the way to go...

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 07:18 PM
I agree though, cautious optimism is the way to go...

As opposed to:
:reinsy
"Anyone who thinks Cleveland can be caught is crazy."

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-02-2001, 07:20 PM
That can be classified as excessive pessimism.

KempersRS
08-02-2001, 08:04 PM
While I agree that the odds are not good on the Sox making the playoffs, why does 7.5 out on August 2nd mean the season is over?

Well, first off, it isn't 7.5 till we win, and it doesn't look that way at all thanks to Kip's 2nd Half demise. The answer to your question is simple though, 7.5 or 8.5, it doesn't matter, this team doesn't win when it comes to big games. They can't come up with the clutch hits all year and they can't come up with clutch wins all year. If this were the 2000 team and they were 7.5 games out of it, then I wouldn't rule it out, but this team just isn't good enough.

rmusacch
08-02-2001, 08:19 PM
The thing that pisses me off is that they cannot beat the third worst team in baseball. We should be having these guys for lunch.

OKCSoxFan
08-02-2001, 08:38 PM
I gotta go back to what I've been saying all along...we're not chasing Minnesota or Boston or Cleveland or anyone. Sure -- we're 8 out right now, and all teams are starting to beat each other up, but the real number we need to think about is 91. That is the minimum number of wins we'll need to even start thinking about the playoffs. Last year it took 95.

AT WORST, we can only go 39-18 the rest of the way. Realistically, we need to go about 44-13.

That's why the playoffs are a pipe dream. Don't be fooled by the number of games back.

Tragg
08-02-2001, 08:56 PM
Where do we go from here?

We put our trust in Kenny Williams and Jerry Manuel to convert which is, pretty obviously by now, a .500 team into a 95 win team for next season.

KempersRS
08-02-2001, 09:02 PM
We put our trust in Kenny Williams and Jerry Manuel to convert which is, pretty obviously by now, a .500 team into a 95 win team for next season.

Well, I think the return of the Big Hurt and some added depth to the pen from recovery of injuries will be a help, that already makes them a better than .500 team. But there are still more needs than just that. Crede will prbably be up, if he plays like we have expected for all these years, it'll be another shot in the arm for us. There are going to be a lot of IFs going into next year and we have to hope to come out on the positive side of all of them. If not, we need to depend on smart moves to fill our holes.

Daver
08-02-2001, 09:40 PM
I am starting to lose faith in Crede,if he was what the Sox keep hyping him as he would be here now.There has to be a reason he is still in AAA.I ain't saying I'm just saying.

KempersRS
08-02-2001, 09:44 PM
I am starting to lose faith in Crede,if he was what the Sox keep hyping him as he would be here now.There has to be a reason he is still in AAA.I ain't saying I'm just saying.

I don't think you can blame Crede for not being here. You know who calls the shots around here and it keeps being said that they don't wanna rush Crede. I think this is pure crap, we have waited long enough, give the kid a chance before we dismiss his ability.

Jjav829
08-02-2001, 09:48 PM
Williams has this thing about wanting to give Crede a full season in AAA.

Daver
08-02-2001, 09:50 PM
I think Kenny will be shopping for a third baseman in the offseason,I get the feeling that the Sox have lost faith in Crede.But then again what the hell do I know?

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 09:51 PM
But then again what the hell do I know?

That Nardi is a pitcher killer?

KempersRS
08-02-2001, 09:53 PM
I think Kenny will be shopping for a third baseman in the offseason,I get the feeling that the Sox have lost faith in Crede.But then again what the hell do I know?

I would be blown away if this happens. Crede deserves atleast half a season at the big league level. He has never gotten a shot and we are talking about giving up on him. He is hitting decent in AAA, not spectacular, but there are players who really turn it up when the get out of AAA and get into the bigs. Crede deserves that chance.

Daver
08-02-2001, 09:54 PM
Well yeah,but besides that.

Tragg
08-02-2001, 09:54 PM
Agree, Kemp

I can't imagine kenny fooling with a 3b, with more glaring needs at SS and C, with no one close in the minors.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-02-2001, 09:57 PM
A catcher? You mean like Charles Johnson? I'll give KW ten bucks to help defray his salary if he brings him back to the Sox.

:KW

"Wow ten bucks?? I'll do it!!!"

Daver
08-02-2001, 10:01 PM
No thanx,I have little faith in CJ as a team player,I would rather stick with MJ and Josh Paul,or trade some pitching for I Rod.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-02-2001, 10:05 PM
I don't think IROD is worth any more than CJ is either defensively or offensively. CJ is cheaper and the stat difference between the two is too small to justify the extra expense.

Besides, with that extra 10 bucks I'll give KW for bringing CJ back it will be even less salary to worry about.