PDA

View Full Version : Article from ESPN.com

soxpride724
04-14-2008, 11:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/titletown/news/story?id=3346164MOD EDIT: Please just provide a link to the article you're referring to. Copying and pasting directly from ESPN.com to our boards is a violation of copyright law, and is an easy way to get is us in legal trouble.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1816124&postcount=2

So how did the Sox "Steal" the World series? Interesting article though...

Zisk77
04-14-2008, 12:02 PM
As much as I hate the communist sport....the Sting won a "chip" in the 80's as well.

skottyj242
04-14-2008, 12:19 PM
That article sucks.

04-14-2008, 12:19 PM
****ing idiot Cubs fan. Stole? "Other" team?

Scoop Jackson is a moron.

Scottzilla
04-14-2008, 12:20 PM
worst article ever.
Not even sure what he meant by "stole", but being a chicago sports fan, I would not try to argue that chicago is any sort of title town. and anyone who refers to Chicago as "the Chi" needs to have their toungue cut out.

doublem23
04-14-2008, 12:58 PM
I think it's Scoop Jackson trying to be "hip" and "cool."

Anyone who honestly thinks Chicago should be dubbed "Titletown" needs to be brained.

Palehose Pete
04-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Awful, that article was.

hi im skot
04-14-2008, 01:28 PM
:rolling:

Hokiesox
04-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Wow, I thought I'd read delusional writing before this...

palehozenychicty
04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
:o:

UofCSoxFan
04-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Scoop Jackson lost all credibility with me in 2005 when he wrote about various "Sox" bars in Chicago...how of course they were all dives unlike "Cubbie" bars....one he mentioned, The Cove in Hyde Park is hardly what I would call a sports bar or a "Sox" bar although the game may be on. Another he mentioned had been closed for years befoe 2005.

While Chicago is certainly better than most cities as far as titles, let's be serious.

*Cubs haven't won in 100 years...you can't dismiss how hard this is to accomplish.
*Hawks haven't won in over 40 years
*Bears have one title in the past 40 plus years
*The Bulls....ok a given
*The Sox...one title in the last 90 or so years

I'm suprised he didn't bring up the great UofC football teams at the begining of the 19th century, or the Northwestern Women's Lacrosse (or was it field hockey) champions, or that USA Soccer is headquartered by UIC and after all we won the CONCACAF Cup this year.

I mean this article makes even less sense after the dreadful year Chicago sports has been having

Meanwhile the Red Sox have won 2 of 4 WS, the Patriots are a dynasty, the Bruins have done more the Hawks, and the Celtics have done more historically than the Bulls.

I mean hell St. Louis between the Rams and Cardinals has done more since 1998 than Chicago. Same with Detroit with the Wings and Pistons.

This article just makes Chicago look bad.

Anyone else notice how at the begining he uses the phrase "ships" and later goes to "chips"....nice editing.

The Immigrant
04-14-2008, 01:56 PM
The Cove in Hyde Park is hardly what I would call a sports bar or a "Sox" bar although the game may be on.

It is, however, a good place to go if you're looking to get stabbed. That place is like Moe's Tavern without the funny characters.

chaerulez
04-14-2008, 02:10 PM
As much as I hate the communist sport....the Sting won a "chip" in the 80's as well.

Your outright ignorance and xenophobia is apparent when you label a sport after an economic/political system. But hey, thanks for trying!

To the topic at hand, Scoop Jackson is a clown. I want this guy to represent Chicago as much as Jim Belushi.

Scottzilla
04-14-2008, 02:31 PM
lol ya, to use the term lightly, I'd guess a "journalist" named Scoop, was given the nickname in an ironic manner.

Hokiesox
04-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Your outright ignorance and xenophobia is apparent when you label a sport after an economic/political system. But hey, thanks for trying!

To the topic at hand, Scoop Jackson is a clown. I want this guy to represent Chicago as much as Jim Belushi.

There are worse options. At least the didn't pick the windsock.

Irishsox1
04-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Is there any difference between the quality of Snoop's "writing" and what some blogger does? I know somehow Snoop picks up a paycheck but I can't believe he actually gets paid for writing "articles" like that?

If ESPN wants some generic Chicago based sports articles, I'll do them and I'll only charge half of what Snoop charges.

hi im skot
04-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Is there any difference between the quality of Snoop's "writing" and what some blogger does? I know somehow Snoop picks up a paycheck but I can't believe he actually gets paid for writing "articles" like that?

If ESPN wants some generic Chicago based sports articles, I'll do them and I'll only charge half of what Snoop charges.

Snoop is a sports writer, now?!?

FireMariotti
04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
This whole Titletown thing is almost as ridiculous as the infamous "Who's Now" segment they had.

jdm2662
04-14-2008, 03:53 PM
As soon as I clicked on the link and saw Scoop's mug shot, I closed it quicker than the time it takes for David Wells to reach the buffet table. The guy is a joke, the topic is a joke, and while we have seen some titles in Chicago in my lifetime, calling it "title town" is an even bigger joke. Oh, and ESPN is the biggest joke of them all.

UofCSoxFan
04-14-2008, 04:33 PM
It is, however, a good place to go if you're looking to get stabbed. That place is like Moe's Tavern without the funny characters.

Probably more attractive women at Moe's as well.

areilly
04-15-2008, 12:40 AM
****ing idiot Cubs fan. Stole? "Other" team?

Scoop Jackson is a moron.

I don't like Scoop all that much, but remember he's writing for a national audience, and most of the national audience views the Sox as Chicago's "other team." Likewise, plenty of people insist the Sox didn't entirely earn that World Series title, namely through a dropped third strike that not everyone is convinced was dropped and a Jermaine Dye hit-by-pitch that didn't actually hit Jermaine Dye.

Personally, I thought the sarcasm in that was obvious. But I'm also a pretentious ass.

Ex-Chicagoan
04-15-2008, 03:58 AM
A little too subtle in his approach, I thought...

Hokiesox
04-15-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't like Scoop all that much, but remember he's writing for a national audience, and most of the national audience views the Sox as Chicago's "other team." Likewise, plenty of people insist the Sox didn't entirely earn that World Series title, namely through a dropped third strike that not everyone is convinced was dropped and a Jermaine Dye hit-by-pitch that didn't actually hit Jermaine Dye.

Personally, I thought the sarcasm in that was obvious. But I'm also a pretentious ass.

I know you're playing devil's advocate, but how does a team with the best regular season record, an 11-1 record in the postseason "steal" a world series? I don't think many baseball fans believe that.

ChiSoxPatF
04-15-2008, 02:11 PM
I know you're playing devil's advocate, but how does a team with the best regular season record, an 11-1 record in the postseason "steal" a world series? I don't think many baseball fans believe that.

I agree. There is a big difference, however, between what most people believe and what constitutes the national sports media's narrative. Unfortunately, espn IS the national sports media. This entire "TitleTown" stupidity is just another effort for ESPN to reinforce a Boston/New York argument - recent success versus sheer mass of success - and justify the outrageously skewed coverage it provides.

I know the ESPN bashing gets old and I stop at this, but this whole TitleTown thing is just a stupid time killer for ESPN writers until the NFL draft and another Red Sox-Yankees series.

turners56
04-15-2008, 03:48 PM
That was terrible, mentioning things from the last century is like Cubs fans celebrating their 1908 championship.

Scoop Jackson, less than meets the eye.
Scoop Jackson, Cubs fan in disguise.

He also forgot the 1917 and 1906 championships the Sox won, what an idiot. I guess he thinks the Sox stole the 05 WS because the team plays on the south side, the guy's probably never been to Chicago.

areilly
04-15-2008, 05:51 PM
That was terrible, mentioning things from the last century is like Cubs fans celebrating their 1908 championship.

Scoop Jackson, less than meets the eye.
Scoop Jackson, Cubs fan in disguise.

He also forgot the 1917 and 1906 championships the Sox won, what an idiot. I guess he thinks the Sox stole the 05 WS because the team plays on the south side, the guy's probably never been to Chicago.

Read your first sentence, then read your fourth. Then tell me what's terrible and who's an...nevermind.

Anyway, Scoop's a Chicago guy. 87th and Kedzie area.