PDA

View Full Version : What should be done with Alexei Ramirez?

Mohoney
04-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Right now, it looks like we have formed a clear-cut everyday lineup, and at-bats for our bench will be less in number than they have been in recent years.

The current bench of Ramirez, Anderson, and Ozuna (I'm discarding at-bats by Hall and Pierzynski because of their unique situations as catchers) has combined for only 25 of the team's 329 at-bats.

This lower demand for playing time from our bench makes me wonder what we should do with Alexei Ramirez.

Tragg
04-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Aaa

doublem23
04-14-2008, 11:04 AM
He needs to be playing everday in AAA.

WhiteSox5187
04-14-2008, 11:05 AM
I think Alexei will be a great player, but for now he needs seasoning in Triple A.

kaufsox
04-14-2008, 11:07 AM
AAA. He has looked lost against major league pitching. Regular playing time would do him a world of good.

thedudeabides
04-14-2008, 11:12 AM
The consensus is aaa, and I agree. I have thought at times they may have kept him here with a spanish speaking manager and a Cuban teamate, just to break him in a little. But, I think it's time he gets regular at bats. I think he can be a good player....I would like to see how he will handle pitching in the minors.

Jjav829
04-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Send him down to AAA. He needs regular at-bats, and the Sox need to determine which position is his best fit in the long run and get him acclimated to playing that position on an everyday basis.

BRDSR
04-14-2008, 11:46 AM
It's just a matter of time. When Owens gets healthy, he'll be on the big-league roster, so someone will have to be sent down. There are really no other options.

soltrain21
04-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Send him down to AAA, but the problem with that is that we will only have one infielder on our bench, as neither Owens or Anderson can play the infield.

cws05champ
04-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Send him down to AAA, but the problem with that is that we will only have one infielder on our bench, as neither Owens or Anderson can play the infield.

I don't see that as a concern, you have Swisher that can play 1B, Ozuna who can play 2B and 3B, and Uribe that can move to SS to give Cabrera a rest once in a while. If Uribe gets an occasional start at SS, Ozuna can play 2B. I think the real questions will begin once Richar is healthy, and if Ramirez does get sent down only to tear it up in AAA for awhile.

russ99
04-14-2008, 12:17 PM
I don't see that as a concern, you have Swisher that can play 1B, Ozuna who can play 2B and 3B, and Uribe that can move to SS to give Cabrera a rest once in a while. If Uribe gets an occasional start at SS, Ozuna can play 2B. I think the real questions will begin once Richar is healthy, and if Ramirez does get sent down only to tear it up in AAA for awhile.

If Owens comes back, Anderson will likely go down. I'm not sure when that happens, though, as we're OK for now and unless he lights up AAA over the next two weeks, he'd likely stay there until the Sox really need to make a move due to a slump or injury.

Ramirez' flexibility is why he'll stay up. Ozzie was quoted yesterday that he'd like to give him a few starts (those 2 games in Cleveland were a poor indicator), but he's going to ride the same lineup as long as they stay hot.

Frater Perdurabo
04-14-2008, 12:30 PM
He needs to be starting every day at SS in Charlotte.

Why? Because right now Orlando Cabrera remains unsigned for 2009, so the Sox need to find out if Ramirez could be a legitimate MLB starting SS next year.

I also recommend that he leads off every game for Charlotte, as well. He needs to learn plate discipline and needs as many ABs as possible.

Domeshot17
04-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Alexei "Pedro Cerrano" Ramirez needs to go to AAA and learn how to hit curveballs and changeups. when that happens, he can come back up and be the superstar he one day will be.

white sox bill
04-14-2008, 12:39 PM
He needs to be playing everday in AAA.

ditto

TomBradley72
04-14-2008, 12:42 PM
I'd send him down whenever Owens or Richar (preferably) are ready. We need some speed and another LH hitter on the roster. Right now Alexei is redundant with Ozuna/Anderson as far as the overall roster goes.

Put him at 2nd base every day in Charlotte.

The Milkman
04-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Alexei "Pedro Cerrano" Ramirez needs to go to AAA and learn how to hit curveballs and changeups. when that happens, he can come back up and be the superstar he one day will be.

Well said.

soxfan21
04-14-2008, 01:18 PM
I agree with most of you here in that he should be sent back down to AAA to see some more pitches and get some more at bats. He is not getting any better by riding the pine for 4 or 5 games at a time and then getting in games late to play only an inning or two. I think that he will be good in the future, but he just needs some at bats.

chisoxfanatic
04-14-2008, 02:07 PM
I think they need to send him down once Owens is ready to come back. Owens can take his spot on the roster, and will instantly add speed to this team, which is one thing we're lacking in the offensive department. I say don't make any changes until Owens is ready. If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. It isn't like Ramirez is an every-day starter.

ChiTownTrojan
04-14-2008, 03:04 PM
I think they need to send him down once Owens is ready to come back. Owens can take his spot on the roster, and will instantly add speed to this team, which is one thing we're lacking in the offensive department. I say don't make any changes until Owens is ready. If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. It isn't like Ramirez is an every-day starter.
The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" argument doesn't really apply here, because Ramirez isn't one of the pieces that "ain't broke." Last I checked, he was hitting .083 or something. We knew their was a risk when he was named to the roster that he might have trouble adjusting to big league pitching, and so far he's basically proven that to be the case.

Since Ramirez isn't a defensive upgrade over anyone on the roster, his only role with this team will be as a hitter. And until he learns how to hit, I don't see why Ozzie would ever put him into a game that is remotely close. His batting will only improve by getting consistent AB's at Charlotte.

kobo
04-14-2008, 03:23 PM

Why? Because right now Orlando Cabrera remains unsigned for 2009, so the Sox need to find out if Ramirez could be a legitimate MLB starting SS next year.

I also recommend that he leads off every game for Charlotte, as well. He needs to learn plate discipline and needs as many ABs as possible.
My thoughts as well.

BUMMER
04-14-2008, 03:36 PM

Also - at AAA, pair Alexi at SS w/ Richar at 2B everyday (the way Detroit did with Trammel/Whitaker) I'm not saying AR & DR as good as AT & LW, but I'd like to see the Sox organIzation groom a keystone combo for the future and let them work together all year. If the Sox fall short and decide to reconstruct the roster in '09 or '10, an IF of 3B Fields, SS Alexi, 2B Richar should be ready by then.

Zook 'Em
04-14-2008, 03:52 PM

I also recommend that he leads off every game for Charlotte, as well. He needs to learn plate discipline and needs as many ABs as possible.I agree.

I was looking forward to him in the role of super-utility guy, possibly taking over at 2nd base. But he just isn't ready yet. Off-speed stuff is killing him and I don't know what position I'd call him right now.

soxinem1
04-14-2008, 05:48 PM
It's just a matter of time. When Owens gets healthy, he'll be on the big-league roster, so someone will have to be sent down. There are really no other options.

I don't think Ramirez should have ever made the team. He got a lot of hits in ST against non-major leaguers, and he cannot handle good MLB stuff yet. He should have started in AA and if he tore up the league, he should have been moved to AAA.

As much as I hate to say it, he reminds me more of Pablo Ozuna than Alfonso Soriano.

Then the bigger question is, what do you do with Owens? Send BA to AAA? Send Owens to AAA?

Stringer
04-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Alexei has just been really disappointed me

Send him down to AAA