PDA

View Full Version : Re-sign Crede/Trade Fields For Pitching?

Thome25
04-14-2008, 09:53 AM
I know it's still early but, what do you think the White Sox should do with the Joe Crede/Josh Fields situation?

In my perfect world, Crede would continue to play the way he has this season so far and the White Sox would sign him to a 5-year extension. They would then proceed to package Fields in a deal for a starter. (I'm not going to speculate on who/where.)

Let's face it, Crede is a good, home-grown, fan-favorite. IF they stay in the race all season (*crosses fingers*....it's going to be tough in the AL Central) they won't have very many pieces to trade at the deadline to get some help. Fields fits the bill as a pretty good trading chip.

I know we have alot of veterans we might want to trade but, let's be realistic here. There's probably not alot of demand for Konerko and/or Uribe.....nor would we want to trade veteran players if we're still in it in July.

Also, I'd hate to see a player like Crede go (IF he continues to produce) especially because he's one of the players that WE brought up from the beginning. I'd hate to see him meet the same fate as another home-grown, Grand slam hitting, slick fielding, fan favorite 3B.....Robin Ventura.

What do you think? Thanks for posting!!:D:

oeo
04-14-2008, 09:59 AM
I think you're riding high on a fast start.

Crede has been great, but I think you need to get realistic, as well. If he continues to play like this, he's not going to come cheaply. The only way you trade Fields, is not just for a starter, but a young, front-of-the-rotation type...and that will take more than just Fields.

Kenny has a difficult decision to make, and hopefully if we're not getting that young, front-of-the-rotation starter, then Crede is the one to go.

jsg-07
04-14-2008, 10:00 AM
I would tend to agree with you but my reasoning is mostly because of our pitching staff. I know a lot of people here are down on Uribe too, but with a staff with guys who are mostly contact pitchers, a lot of their sucess is based on how good the D is behind them.

I agree that Fields is a great second option and he will be a star one day, but for me, I think the infield we have right now is something special and I would love to ride it for the next few years while we have guys like MB, Danks and Gavin on this team.

Thome25
04-14-2008, 10:01 AM

Crede has been great, but I think you need to get realistic, as well. If he continues to play like this, he's not going to come cheaply. The only way you trade Fields, is not just for a starter, but a young, front-of-the-rotation type...and that will take more than just Fields.

Kenny has a difficult decision to make, and hopefully if we're not getting that young, front-of-the-rotation starter, then Crede is the one to go.

I think you're probably right about that first statement. But, it sure is fun to think about. And the fact that we even have this problem is a good thing.

It sure beats the alternative of not having ANY option at 3B.

jsg-07
04-14-2008, 10:02 AM

oeo,

I agree with you completely on this and it will be difficult. But when a guy like Crede can make a pitching staff better, I think it is worth it (and this is just my opinion) to open up the check book to him if possible. Im not Kenny, nor will I ever claim to say I could handle the finances of this team better than him, but if we had a rotation of five Javy's, I would not be so concerned with keeping the defense the way it is.

hawkjt
04-14-2008, 10:03 AM
I have been a big Crede supporter since 2004 and would love to have him on the team but the handwriting is on the wall on this one.. Joe will either be dealt in July or will walk in November. Fields needs to bide his time,work on his defense at third, and get ready to be the sox 3rd baseman for the next 5 years. It will be painful to see Joe in another uni but despite KW signing Pk,MB and JD...Joe will be a bridge too far... :whiner:

Thome25
04-14-2008, 10:04 AM
oeo,

I agree with you completely on this and it will be difficult. But when a guy like Crede can make a pitching staff better, I think it is worth it (and this is just my opinion) to open up the check book to him if possible. Im not Kenny, nor will I ever claim to say I could handle the finances of this team better than him, but if we had a rotation of five Javy's, I would not be so concerned with keeping the defense the way it is.

That's the one thing Crede has going for him over Fields.....Crede brings the leather.....and that makes a pitching staff better. Especially with 2 young starters on our staff.

WhiteSox5187
04-14-2008, 10:11 AM
If Joe can prove he's healthy, I wouldn't mind making him an offer, but with Boras as his agent, he's not going to sign with us. For Boras to even consider an offer from us, it'd have be Konerko like money and I don't think Crede is really worth that. We'll see though. If we're going to keep Crede I think we should deal Fields.

spiffie
04-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Considering most people seem to think Fields will be at least as good a hitter as Crede, the question is how much is Joe Crede's glove worth? Is having a good fielding third baseman worth $75 million over 5 years? At this point in time, unless someone is willing to do something extraordinary for Fields (Lincecum, Hughes, Buchholz, Lester, Adenhart) I can't see the team justifying that expense. The only way it happens is if you trade Fields/Konerko together. If you move Swisher to first, and plan for an OF of Dye, Quentin, Anderson/Owens/Ramirez as your future.

Thome25
04-14-2008, 10:12 AM
If Joe can prove he's healthy, I wouldn't mind making him an offer, but with Boras as his agent, he's not going to sign with us. For Boras to even consider an offer from us, it'd have be Konerko like money and I don't think Crede is really worth that. We'll see though. If we're going to keep Crede I think we should deal Fields.

I used to be one of the fans who though it was impossible for Crede to re-sign because Boras is his agent.

That's before I saw the Arod situation this past offseason. Isn't it possible the same thing could happen with Crede?

WhiteSox5187
04-14-2008, 10:13 AM
I used to be one of the fans who though it was impossible for Crede to re-sign because Boras is his agent.

That's befor I say the Arod situation this past offseason. Isn't it possible the same thing could happen with Crede?
It's possible, but it's not very likely. A-Rod was going to get a lot of money regardless of his agent, Crede, probably not.

Thome25
04-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Crede is the better fielder and barring another unforseen injury, we know what he brings to the table with the bat and his glove.

Fields is still a crapshoot.....we can't be absolutely sure what he'll do in the future...especially with his glove. Also, didn't Fields contemplate walking away from the game in the offseason? (If so, that questions his mentality and desire.)

While I would accept Fields as our 3B if he was given the job because I love the White Sox and I trust KW......I think I'd rather have Crede from a defensive and fan standpoint.

jsg-07
04-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Considering most people seem to think Fields will be at least as good a hitter as Crede, the question is how much is Joe Crede's glove worth? Is having a good fielding third baseman worth $75 million over 5 years? At this point in time, unless someone is willing to do something extraordinary for Fields (Lincecum, Hughes, Buchholz, Lester, Adenhart) I can't see the team justifying that expense. The only way it happens is if you trade Fields/Konerko together. If you move Swisher to first, and plan for an OF of Dye, Quentin, Anderson/Owens/Ramirez as your future.

Again, and this is just my opinion, I think his glove is worth that much. Especially if we get another young pitcher out of trade with fields and whatever we can package him. Then you have three pitchers with Danks, Floyd, Pitcher C with low salaries and an infield that is going the help them become better / more confident.

I have just seen our pitchers fold too many times (including MB) when a bad play is made behind them, and I have seen them pitch great games when great plays are made behind them.

Jjav829
04-14-2008, 10:34 AM
I know it's been a fun two weeks, but can we let the season play out a bit more?

With the age of the Sox core hitters, I think Fields has to be kept. Obviously that changes if some team is willing to offer a good, young pitcher, but the names being thrown around (eg Lincecum) simply aren't realistic.

btrain929
04-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Crede is the better fielder and barring another unforseen injury, we know what he brings to the table with the bat and his glove.

Fields is still a crapshoot.....we can't be absolutely sure what he'll do in the future...especially with his glove. Also, didn't Fields contemplate walking away from the game in the offseason? (If so, that questions his mentality and desire.)

While I would accept Fields as our 3B if he was given the job because I love the White Sox and I trust KW......I think I'd rather have Crede from a defensive and fan standpoint.

No he didn't. That was abunch of reports skewing Fields' words at a seminar. Once it hit the press, Fields shot down the report.

Is Crede a better overall player than Fields? Right now, yes. But is he 8-9 million dollars a year better than him? Therein lies the problem. I'd offer Crede a 4-5 year deal at about 8 per. Will Boras get in his ear and tell him he can easily earn 12-13 mil a year on the open market? If so, I have a hard time believing Crede would stay.

We also have some other options. Since Fields isn't a whiz with the glove, you can let Thome go after the year if he doesn't renegotiate his option with us, put Fields at DH (where he can focus, solely, day in and day out, on hitting) and look to move Dye in the offseason. Having Swisher and Quentin in the corners for the next 4 years at least will be a great thing to watch. That way, it'll allow us to have Crede and Fields on the same team, and the money we save from Thome and Dye we can put towards either a CF'er (if Owens/BA don't cut it) or a #2/3 type starter (Ben Sheets anyone?).

Bottom line, we can't say what the Sox could and should do until at least the All Star Break, when Crede is off his hot streak. Then we'll see if he goes completely cold, or stays above water to hit .270-.290.

Thome25
04-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Would it hurt to put some 'feelers" out there to see if Crede would be willing to take a deal while his value is still low? He might do it just so he can stay with the White Sox ala Dye, Buehrle, and Konerko?

I know the odds are probably stacked against Crede staying because both Crede himself and the White Sox would probably want to see how his entire 2008 season plays out before even considering a deal.

By then, it's probably too late. :whiner:

btrain929
04-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Would it hurt to put some 'feelers" out there to see if Crede would be willing to take a deal while is value is still low? He might do it just so he can stay with the White Sox ala Dye, Buehrle, and Konerko?

I know the odds are probably stacked against Crede staying because both Crede himself and the White Sox would probably want to see how his entire 2008 season plays out before even considering a deal.

By then, it's probably too late. :whiner:

Or is offense comes back down to earth and we actually save some money.

Thome25
04-14-2008, 10:40 AM
No he didn't. That was abunch of reports skewing Fields' words at a seminar. Once it hit the press, Fields shot down the report.

Is Crede a better overall player than Fields? Right now, yes. But is he 8-9 million dollars a year better than him? Therein lies the problem. I'd offer Crede a 4-5 year deal at about 8 per. Will Boras get in his ear and tell him he can easily earn 12-13 mil a year on the open market? If so, I have a hard time believing Crede would stay.

We also have some other options. Since Fields isn't a whiz with the glove, you can let Thome go after the year if he doesn't renegotiate his option with us, put Fields at DH (where he can focus, solely, day in and day out, on hitting) and look to move Dye in the offseason. Having Swisher and Quentin in the corners for the next 4 years at least will be a great thing to watch. That way, it'll allow us to have Crede and Fields on the same team, and the money we save from Thome and Dye we can put towards either a CF'er (if Owens/BA don't cut it) or a #2/3 type starter (Ben Sheets anyone?).

Bottom line, we can't say what the Sox could and should do until at least the All Star Break, when Crede is off his hot streak. Then we'll see if he goes completely cold, or stays above water to hit .270-.290.

We probably save some money when Thome walks after this season. Granted it's not enough money for Crede's possible contract but, it could be thrown into the "Save Joe Crede Fund".

Anyway, I doubt money would be an issue with any possible contract.

Thome25
04-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Or is offense comes back down to earth and we actually save some money.

Very true......this thread is mostly dealing in hypotheticals anyway. :D:

cheezheadsoxfan
04-14-2008, 10:42 AM

I've always been in the keep Joe camp. Defense is often undervalued, maybe because you can't always document what wins it produces. Joe saved last Saturday's game with his glove but there's plenty of games where a play or two early on effects the outcome, just not as obviously. His bat is looking like 2006.

As someone else said, Fields best defensive position is probably DH. The comment about walking away bothered me also.

A lot might depend on the situation with Thome which would free up some money. If Joe and KW can reach common ground is another story. Damn, I wish Joe's agent was Craig Landis. :rolleyes:

thomas35forever
04-14-2008, 10:43 AM
I know it's been a fun two weeks, but can we let the season play out a bit more?

With the age of the Sox core hitters, I think Fields has to be kept. Obviously that changes if some team is willing to offer a good, young pitcher, but the names being thrown around (eg Lincecum) simply aren't realistic.
A Sox hitter could go down without warning, requiring Fields to come up. However, we're only two weeks into the season. I'd wait another month before listening to trade ideas.

Steelrod
04-14-2008, 10:44 AM
His agent almost always lets his players complete their contract without resigning, and even then are in no hurry to make a deal.
If you count on resigning, you could end up holding the bag.

soxpride724
04-14-2008, 10:46 AM
I will miss Joe if he goes, but we don't negotiate well with Boras so I don't see him sticking around too much longer. While Fields is still a work in progress, I believe in the win now mentality so I would love to see Crede stay, but hey it's still a business....

cheezheadsoxfan
04-14-2008, 10:47 AM
I have just seen our pitchers fold too many times (including MB) when a bad play is made behind them, and I have seen them pitch great games when great plays are made behind them.

Good point. I remember a lot of meltdowns after Mackowack (?) misplayed a fly ball. Not his fault, that was Ozzie's stubborness, but it still hurt.

jsg-07
04-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Good point. I remember a lot of meltdowns after Mackowack (?) misplayed a fly ball. Not his fault, that was Ozzie's stubborness, but it still hurt.

Thanks, and again, I was at the game Saturday and Floyd started to scare me with those walks in the begining but then Carlos made the play in left, Crede had a diving stop and turned a great DP and look what happened. Floyd settled down and was 5 outs from a no hitter.

Again, only two weeks in and a lot can happen, but I just think the way this team is built right now, we have enough offense (although you can never have too much), and are scoring a ton of runs with guys still struggling (i.e., thome and Uribe, well this may be par for the course for Uribe). If things continue to stay this way, I think Crede needs to be a huge priority for us.

btrain929
04-14-2008, 10:55 AM
I wonder what will happen when Danks starts coming into his own as a solid #3 starter (hopefully this year will be a huge step in that direction) and we have to start doing contracts for him (his agent is also Boras).

cheezheadsoxfan
04-14-2008, 10:58 AM
I wonder what will happen when Danks starts coming into his own as a solid #3 starter (hopefully this year will be a huge step in that direction) and we have to start doing contracts for him (his agent is also Boras).

:o:

Jurr
04-14-2008, 11:20 AM
How 'bout this? Let the team win a TON and generate even more revenue before making decisions on keeping players? A couple of years ago, we were all wondering whether we'd be able to keep Konerko and Rowand. Winning = money and players maybe taking the hometown discount.

That said, it's nice to have an insurance policy waiting in the wings with Fields.

thedudeabides
04-14-2008, 11:20 AM
I've always been in the keep Joe camp. Defense is often undervalued, maybe because you can't always document what wins it produces. Joe saved last Saturday's game with his glove but there's plenty of games where a play or two early on effects the outcome, just not as obviously. His bat is looking like 2006.

As someone else said, Fields best defensive position is probably DH. The comment about walking away bothered me also.

A lot might depend on the situation with Thome which would free up some money. If Joe and KW can reach common ground is another story. Damn, I wish Joe's agent was Craig Landis. :rolleyes:

Fields never talked about walking away. There was a bad spin on that story.

Boras is not the agent he once was. I think the Sox can resign Joe if they want. I get the feeling they are going to. It's a tough situation because if Crede is resigned there is less leverage with Fields. There is no way, if the Sox keep winning Joe is traded this year.

Lip Man 1
04-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Thome25:

No disrespect but this poll is meaningless. Unless Joe changes agents, they will not be re-signing him to an extension.

My point is, it's not up to the Sox. I'm sure in a perfect world they'd like him to stay since he came up through their system, but it's not a perfect world and they don't have 100% of the decision making power.

Kenny has already said that he asked about an extension last summer and was told directly that Joe is going to examine free agency.

It's completely out of Kenny's hands.

Lip

Rocky Soprano
04-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Thome25:

No disrespect but this poll is meaningless. Unless Joe changes agents, they will not be re-signing him to an extension.

My point is, it's not up to the Sox. I'm sure in a perfect world they'd like him to stay since he came up through their system, but it's not a perfect world and they don't have 100% of the decision making power.

Kenny has already said that he asked about an extension last summer and was told directly that Joe is going to examine free agency.

Lip

Just last week Joe once again said that he wants to resign with the Sox and went as far as saying, I want to retire a Sox.

If Joe wants it done, I can't imagine that he would take a lot of crap from his agent.

getonbckthr
04-14-2008, 11:59 AM
I say re-sign Crede and find a new spot for Fields. Carlos Lee was a third basemen, I saw something that said Paul Konerko was the third basemen on opening day 2000. Lee is now an All -Star LF and Paulie an All Star 1B.

Thome25
04-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Thome25:

Lip

No disrespect taken. But, if Arod can bypass Boras then I don't see why Joe can't do the same.

Someone needs to forward this poll to Brooks Boyer, KW, and/or Crede.......look at the results so far. (not to say that wouldn't do a 180 if the Sox and or Crede started to have a bad season.)

Frater Perdurabo
04-14-2008, 12:18 PM

Good post. I agree.

If Crede continues to have a good year, and shows no ill effects from the back surgery, then the Sox should try to keep him for a fair, market-value offer. If that happens (and with Boras, I know it's not likely), then Fields still has a place on this team given that Thome, Dye, and to an extent, Paulie, are getting older and are expensive hitters.

If Fields' hitting can replace one of those three in 2009 (as a 1B or DH), then that's a lot of money suddenly available to plow into starting pitching.

moochpuppy
04-14-2008, 12:21 PM
The player that has to be traded is Crede. His value will never be higher than it is right now. He has gotten off to an amazing start but he is coming off back surgery and has never proven he can stay healthy. Fields will be able to replace Crede's bat in the lineup and certainly won't be the same defensively but I think that will be a wash if we can get another good starter in the rotation.

btrain929
04-14-2008, 12:25 PM
The player that has to be traded is Crede. His value will never be higher than it is right now. He has gotten off to an amazing start but he is coming off back surgery and has never proven he can stay healthy. Fields will be able to replace Crede's bat in the lineup and certainly won't be the same defensively but I think that will be a wash if we can get another good starter in the rotation.

It doesn't matter how hot he is. I still don't think there's that big of a market out there for him, regardless if he's hot or cold. SF sucks, so I doubt they will pay a pretty penny for a guy in the last yr of his contract. You can say that about a lot of teams.

I just hope that if he is traded, all attempts possible were made to resign him. If that's the case and their camp wasn't interested, then you have to trade him and just pray we get something decent in return.

04-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't know why the idea of Fields playing LF or even RF/1B was scraped. I know it isnt easy to learn a new position but I think he is capable of doing it. They had the entire Spring Training and offseason wasted!

Tragg
04-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Quality young hitters like Fields have a very high value.
We could get a really good pitcher for the $12 million we'll pay Crede.

If we really want to sign Crede, I'd like to see Fields learn 1B, and do a Frater Konerko trade.

moochpuppy
04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
It doesn't matter how hot he is.

I said he's gotten off to an amazing start which is important because it shows he came back from his injury (which I would guess is why the Sox couldn't unload him during spring training). This wouldn't be a discussion if he started out batting .125 with 0 HR and 2 RBI's.

Rocky Soprano
04-14-2008, 12:49 PM

You are positive Fields can replace Crede's bat?
I dont know how that can be assured considering he has yet to play a full season in the bigs.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-14-2008, 01:15 PM
I think trading Fields would be a huge mistake. I'd rather look into somehow keeping both Crede and Fields, if that's even realistic or possible.

jabrch
04-14-2008, 01:15 PM
If there was a team out there willing to pay a high price for Joe, I hope Kenny would listen and sell high. But there was no team willing to do that this offseason. I'm sure Joe's start may change that - and as we move closer to the trade deadline, more teams will show interest. A lot depends on who has big injuries during the year.

I'm confident that management will evaluate options and make the best possible decision based on the information available and the situation. They have proven fairly skilled at this so far. They made the right call not shipping Joe out for nothing this offseason. So I am sure they will do the best they can in terms of deciding the right thing in deciding what to do with him the rest of this year.

EndemicSox
04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
I think the Sox are sitting pretty, Fields isn't, but he can deal with it for one season.

If he continues to rake, and puts up a stellar .360+ OBP to go along with his usual power numbers, I think the Sox gamble and see if they can work something out in the off-season. If not, they will get a first round pick as compensation, so it is far from a total loss. If some desperate team needs help and is offering the world for Joe, Kenny can jump on that as well.

munchman33
04-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Just last week Joe once again said that he wants to resign with the Sox and went as far as saying, I want to retire a Sox.

If Joe wants it done, I can't imagine that he would take a lot of crap from his agent.

And yet he still isn't signed. And there are no ongoing negotiations. You'd think if he wanted to be here he'd be, at the very least, working on it. Right?

He's starting to sound a lot like Magglio did.

doublem23
04-14-2008, 02:22 PM
And yet he still isn't signed. And there are no ongoing negotiations. You'd think if he wanted to be here he'd be, at the very least, working on it. Right?

Maybe he's hedging his bets that he can have a productive season and give his value a little bump, rather than try and sign a contract extension coming off a year when he barely hit .200 and missed 120 games due to back surgery?

:dunno:

Why do I get the feeling that those of us who post here don't really know what's going on inside front offices of the Cell?

moochpuppy
04-14-2008, 02:42 PM
You are positive Fields can replace Crede's bat?
I dont know how that can be assured considering he has yet to play a full season in the bigs.

Considering that Fields' partial season of 2007 (373 AB) is better than or just as good as Crede's first 3 full seasons (average of 486 AB) in the majors.....yeah, that makes me pretty positive.

asindc
04-14-2008, 03:12 PM

Do you know for sure he isn't working on it? Yes, there are no apparent negotiations going on right now, but how can any of us know what is going on behind the scenes? To give you an somewhat recent example, Konerko waited until the end of the year before re-signing. It happens. If Crede likes the Sox' numbers at the end of the year and takes control of the process like Arod apparently did, the Sox can re-sign him. If Crede allows his agent to take control, then less likely IMO.

I'd like to see us keep both and let Thome go.

Lip Man 1
04-14-2008, 04:33 PM
One of the questions in this week's mailbag deals with this. Scroll through to find Gonzales' answer since we can't quote passage directly anymore:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/askthewriter/cs-080414-ask-mark-gonzales-chicago-white-sox,1,6160604.story

Lip

TDog
04-15-2008, 04:14 PM
One of the questions in this week's mailbag deals with this. Scroll through to find Gonzales' answer since we can't quote passage directly anymore:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/askthewriter/cs-080414-ask-mark-gonzales-chicago-white-sox,1,6160604.story

Lip

It reads like a lot of us here have been posting.

russ99
04-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Do you know for sure he isn't working on it? Yes, there are no apparent negotiations going on right now, but how can any of us know what is going on behind the scenes? To give you an somewhat recent example, Konerko waited until the end of the year before re-signing. It happens. If Crede likes the Sox' numbers at the end of the year and takes control of the process like Arod apparently did, the Sox can re-sign him. If Crede allows his agent to take control, then less likely IMO.

Do you really think Boras wants any part of what Paulie did? Despite what some of us think is possible after Buerhle, Dye and Konerko's contract negotiations, Boras just doesn't work that way. And if Joe wanted something similar, he would have changed representation by now.

Despite how much we love and appreciate Joe, he's not going to be with the Sox next season. I'm just hopeful he can stay healthy and build his trade value even higher before Kenny has to make the hard decision on whether to trade him in July or keep him and let him walk in November. It's gonna depend on how the team and Joe are doing then.

Fields is the future and hopefully his time in AAA can help him develop further in the field and at the plate.

Also, there's no way the Sox will deal Paulie to keep Crede. Paulie's signed relatively cheaply (I bet Crede gets more on the open market) and doesn't have an injury history.

nysox35
04-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Do you really think Boras wants any part of what Paulie did?

Despite how much we love and appreciate Joe, he's not going to be with the Sox next season. I'm just hopeful he can stay healthy and build his trade value even higher before Kenny has to make the hard decision on whether to trade him in July or keep him and let him walk in November.

Why Not?
With a cheap OF (Quentin), Cheap SPs (Floyd & Danks), Cheap 2B (Richar?), Cheap SS (Ramriez?) and maybe even a cheap DH (Fields?), I don't think it's necessarily a done deal.

Lots of ?'s, but I don't think this is definitive one way or another.

It's Dankerific
04-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Thome25:

Lip

Yes, Im sure that LAST summer, KW wasn't going to low ball Joe with a "we dont know if you're hurt for good" offer. All this talk on the white sox side about not being able to talk about an extension. Write an offer, Fax it to Boras. THEN you can say you tried, if they dont respond to your overture.

Asking a hurt player to discuss an extension does not count as trying to talk extension. Especially if you weren't willing to just fax the offer because the agent said they wanted to wait. If it was a good enough offer, Joe might have reconsidered. Its all a bunch of puffery.

The fact is Joe has value X and its whether or not KW and the ChiSox will pay value X and/or what kind of hometown discount Y Joe is willing to give. But given his health, could you really blame joe if money per year wasnt the issue, but length of contract?? if someone offers 5 years, he would be wise to take it.

ChiTownTrojan
04-16-2008, 08:19 AM

Joe wants to quit? But he's so young and still has so much baseball left in him!

Just a reminder, "resign" means "quit". "Re-sign" is what we should do with Joe Crede. I like the idea of Fields replacing Thome at DH next year, as well as backing up 3B, and maybe even 1B.

Thome25
04-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Guess Crede pulling an AROD is out of the question. C-ya later after this year (maybe sooner?) It was nice having you Joe!!:whiner:

Check out the suntimes article:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/907575,CST-SPT-sox22.article