PDA

View Full Version : Berman

Bucky F. Dent
04-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Sometimes Chris Berman is so foolish he just makes me giggle.

Berman & Wade Boggs are having a one-on-one talking about Kenny Rogers pitching performance today, and Boggs is talking about the pitch patern that Rogers used to get people out, and how Rogers had success against him with that pattern

Berman ends the conversation with a throw away line "Yeah, but as a lifetime .330 hitter, that didn't happen to you very often."

Well, Boomer, being a lifetime .330 hiter, while impressive, leaves open the possiblity that that happened over sixty percent of the time.

Learn some math, Boomer!

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Berman is just one more reason ESPN blows so much!!!:angry:

MarySwiss
04-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Ohhhh, nooooooooo...!

That says it all, I think.:cool:

Whenever I see or hear Berman, this is what flashes into my mind, and once again all is peace and tranquility! :smile:

DSpivack
04-13-2008, 06:51 PM
John Kruk had a winner tonight: "you know, the giants, if they can get some offense, with that pitching, and especially in that division, you never know, boom." Even Berman was like, "uhh, I don't think so, not this year."

johnnyg83
04-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Then Boomer asks Boggs who the best hitting pitcher was that he saw, Boggs hesitates and says, "we had the DH in the American League."

MarySwiss
04-13-2008, 06:59 PM
John Kruk had a winner tonight: "you know, the giants, if they can get some offense, with that pitching, and especially in that division, you never know, boom." Even Berman was like, "uhh, I don't think so, not this year."

You know what cracks me up? Nobody could make this stuff up. ESPN would be a joke, were it not for the fact that they're not funny.

DSpivack
04-13-2008, 07:03 PM
You know what cracks me up? Nobody could make this stuff up. ESPN would be a joke, were it not for the fact that they're not funny.

What's even worse is that there are people who actually watch BBTN to learn about the game. Two guys and a girl were sitting behind me at the Nats game today discussing the Braves. They were talking about how the Braves had won for so many years, but that last year was their first losing season in a long time, and how the Braves have zero talent now and are similar to the Nats.

Boondock Saint
04-13-2008, 07:11 PM
What's even worse is that there are people who actually watch BBTN to learn about the game. Two guys and a girl were sitting behind me at the Nats game today discussing the Braves. They were talking about how the Braves had won for so many years, but that last year was their first losing season in a long time, and how the Braves have zero talent now and are similar to the Nats.

Things like that make me wish there was a smilie that did the forehead slap...ESPN so desperately needs to be replaced.

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2008, 07:13 PM

How else are Cub fans supposed to remember what happened at the game. :D:

DSpivack
04-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Things like that make me wish there was a smilie that did the forehead slap...ESPN so desperately needs to be replaced.

I wanted to turn around and tell them they had no clue what they're talking about, but stupid is as stupid does.

cws05champ
04-13-2008, 09:23 PM
It's funny that this thread was posted because I tuned into BBTN today(rarely I do). I found myself thinking: "would you just stop with the nickname thing Berman!!!!". I mean seriously, he struggles so hard to try and find a nickname that fits all players that he can't even make comments on the highlights being shown.

On a high note, Peter Gammons did give props to KW for him going with Floyd and Danks. He commented that they had 3 of 4 being quality starts so far, and that if they continue to contribute, the Sox could be one of the surprise good teams this year.

There goes us "flying under the Radar"....

BadBobbyJenks
04-13-2008, 10:43 PM
I like Karl Ravech and Gammons. I like my baseball highlights all in one show.
Berman however is just unwatchable.

DumpJerry
04-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Reminds of when I was the Sox/Cubs game last year and a Cub "fan" was sitting behind me. There was a fly out on the Warning Track. The "fan" was told by her date that it was caught on the Warning Track. She asked what that was. He explained to her what the Warning Track was. She responded "well, they don't have one of those at Wrigley. Everyone knows where the wall is."

I guess she never met Soriano.

oeo
04-13-2008, 11:33 PM
That Berman-Boggs segment was just awkward. Probably the first time Boggs has ever done something like that, and he has to do it with Berman who doesn't help him out at all. Nice work, Boomer.

FourStarsTwoBars
04-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Reminds of when I was the Sox/Cubs game last year and a Cub "fan" was sitting behind me. There was a fly out on the Warning Track. The "fan" was told by her date that it was caught on the Warning Track. She asked what that was. He explained to her what the Warning Track was. She responded "well, they don't have one of those at Wrigley. Everyone knows where the wall is."

I guess she never met Soriano.

And the cubs don't need a modern scoreboard because everyone knows what's the score.
:hawk
"I tell you, some of these (fans) ain't got no clue"

Jurr
04-14-2008, 11:28 AM
I just love the fact that Berman's pretty much lost the "mystique" that he had with the majority of pinheads in the "sports world". He's been a waste of atmospheric oxygen for a long time.

skottyj242
04-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I watched last night when Boggs and Kruk were comparing Boggs' batting stance to Ichiro's. Boggs looked very uncomfortable and stuttered a bunch. I thought it was one of the worst live segments I have ever seen on television.

PatK
04-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Anyone else catch him call "Jim" Crede's slam?

Navarro's Talent
04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
I watch Baseball Tonight from time-to-time if I have a good feeling they'll talk about the White Sox extensively that night. For the most part, though, I can't watch guys like Kruk and Berman (and formerly, Brantley) who get paid enormous amounts of money to say nothing of value to baseball fans.

Gammons is okay, though. Once you get past his love for the Red Sox, he can be pretty tolerable. He actually wants to make the show interesting and talks about players not yet on the mainstream's radar.

JB98
04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
I watch Baseball Tonight from time-to-time if I have a good feeling they'll talk about the White Sox extensively that night. For the most part, though, I can't watch guys like Kruk and Berman (and formerly, Brantley) who get paid enormous amounts of money to say nothing of value to baseball fans.

Gammons is okay, though. Once you get past his love for the Red Sox, he can be pretty tolerable. He actually wants to make the show interesting and talks about players not yet on the mainstream's radar.

Unlike the other ESPN idiots, Gammons sounds like he watches actual baseball games and does some research every now and then.

Kruk and Berman are tools. They don't know anymore about the league than the average nob sitting next to you on the Red Line.

chisoxfanatic
04-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Kruk and Berman are tools. They don't know anymore about the league than the average nob sitting next to you on the Red Line.
Everyone has their "strong sport," and baseball obviously isn't Berman's. He should stick to football, which he's actually decent at. He doesn't have a clue about baseball outside of his beloved Red Sox and the Yankees!

Sox
04-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Everyone has their "strong sport," and baseball obviously isn't Berman's. He should stick to football, which he's actually decent at. He doesn't have a clue about baseball outside of his beloved Red Sox and the Yankees!

or his beloved San Francisco Giants.:wink:

Railsplitter
04-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Berman's strong sport is punning.

KenBerryGrab
04-15-2008, 10:19 AM
The worst was having him do the '05 ALDS. Oh, yes, Chris, it's so sad the Red Sox are losing. "They must be tired to get swept by the White Sox."
And, hey, pal, we have grandparents too.

Sad
04-15-2008, 12:26 PM
The worst was having him do the '05 ALDS.

TROT NIXON !!!

(can of corn)

:rolling:

Jurr
04-15-2008, 12:32 PM
TROT NIXON !!!

(can of corn)

:rolling:
Iguchi...Konerko...and the Sox sweep the Red Sox.
Congratulations to the Red Sox for last year!!
He makes me absolutely sick.

Droso5
04-15-2008, 12:38 PM
I was flipping past some channels and happen to, unfortunately, land on the Boggs/Ichiro segment....blech. It was so stilted and forced and and I just felt uncomfortable watching it. I just had to turn it off. I see what they were trying to do, but they didn't have the commentators to pull it off.

It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. :angry:

Jurr
04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Berman is that guy we all know that tells the quick joke and gets laughs all the time. Everybody likes the guy. Then, after a while, people hang out with him enough and see that he's a little bit of an attention junkie. The jokes stop being as funny, and after a while, he's the only one laughing at them.

Given all the youtube hate, I'd say that the country is beginning to catch on to that fact like a bunch of us have. Berman's washed up. Hopefully, like that guy I previously talked about, Chris will wake up to the fact that he's not liked anymore and wander off into that good night.

Droso5
04-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Berman is that guy we all know that tells the quick joke and gets laughs all the time. Everybody likes the guy. Then, after a while, people hang out with him enough and see that he's a little bit of an attention junkie. The jokes stop being as funny, and after a while, he's the only one laughing at them.

Given all the youtube hate, I'd say that the country is beginning to catch on to that fact like a bunch of us have. Berman's washed up. Hopefully, like that guy I previously talked about, Chris will wake up to the fact that he's not liked anymore and wander off into that good night.

File this wish under "wishfull thinking." This man will be around for ever, and finally, when he is gone, ESPN will have some dinner of honor for him filled with guests of honor, speeches, crying, him wearing a Red Sox cap, and video montages of his "best" calls and nicknames. Awful, simply awful....

Frontman
04-15-2008, 02:05 PM
The worst was having him do the '05 ALDS. Oh, yes, Chris, it's so sad the Red Sox are losing. "They must be tired to get swept by the White Sox."
And, hey, pal, we have grandparents too.

Berman's sign-off that day was classic.

"Congratulations to the Chicago White Sox. And congratulations also to the Boston Red Sox."

WHY?!?!?!?!?

THEY

WERE

SWEPT!!!

By the White Sox. They had ZERO outs and the BASES LOADED and couldn't get past El Duque.

What did they do to deserve congratulations?!?!?!?

Droso5
04-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Berman's sign-off that day was classic.

"Congratulations to the Chicago White Sox. And congratulations also to the Boston Red Sox."

WHY?!?!?!?!?

THEY

WERE

SWEPT!!!

By the White Sox. They had ZERO outs and the BASES LOADED and couldn't get past El Duque.

What did they do to deserve congratulations?!?!?!?

They are his favorite team?:gulp:

bigfoot
04-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Berman's strong sport is punning.

Boomer's not very strong in that "sport", either.

Berman must have embarrassing video of a high-ranking ESPN/Disney exec.:gulp:

DSpivack
04-16-2008, 10:12 PM
File this wish under "wishfull thinking." This man will be around for ever, and finally, when he is gone, ESPN will have some dinner of honor for him filled with guests of honor, speeches, crying, him wearing a Red Sox cap, and video montages of his "best" calls and nicknames. Awful, simply awful....

He's been with ESPN since the beginning, right? They'll keep him around as long as he wants.