PDA

View Full Version : What I would like to see from Kenny Williams

getonbckthr
04-13-2008, 05:39 PM
By the tradeline I would like to see the following from Kenny:
1) Re-sign Joe Crede. Similar deal to Paulie could do it.
2) Fields and Broadway to SF for Lincecum and a high salary (Winn/Durham) they wish to dump
3) Contreras dumped somewhere.
4) MacDougal gone somehow some way
5) Wassermann brought back up.

Domeshot17
04-13-2008, 05:50 PM
I would guess the only realistic shot of any of those is number 5, but at the expense of who? You have no one to be the long reliever if you send Nick down, and Ehren can not throw 3-4 innings of mop up.

Boras is loving Crede's run, so he still isn't listening, and Im still not convinced Joe is worth more 12-15 a year. I like the idea of waiting the year to resign him. Crede has always ran very hot and very cold, lets make sure he is for real and lets make sure the back has no late season set backs.

The Giants are not trading Lincecum for anything short of a star.

We couldn't dump Jose last year, so we probably won't this year

Who is going to take Macdougal?

getonbckthr
04-13-2008, 05:52 PM
I would guess the only realistic shot of any of those is number 5, but at the expense of who? You have no one to be the long reliever if you send Nick down, and Ehren can not throw 3-4 innings of mop up.

Boras is loving Crede's run, so he still isn't listening, and Im still not convinced Joe is worth more 12-15 a year. I like the idea of waiting the year to resign him. Crede has always ran very hot and very cold, lets make sure he is for real and lets make sure the back has no late season set backs.

The Giants are not trading Lincecum for anything short of a star.

We couldn't dump Jose last year, so we probably won't this year

Who is going to take Macdougal?
Well I figured Wassermann and Macdougal are a combined situation. Send MacDougal down. Someone might claim him if not at least he isn't on the big league roster.

Tragg
04-13-2008, 05:55 PM
2) Fields and Broadway to SF for Lincecum and a high salary (Winn/Durham) they wish to dump
4) MacDougal traded
1. He's not worth Paulie's deal. If that's his market value (which I doubt) we could better spend the money elsewhere, imo.
2. Why do we want Wynn or Durham?
3. Where? The Sox have tried to do that for 2 years.
4 and 5. Agree. Pitchers of MacDougal's caliber have yielded solid prospects in July for many teams. (although the Sox never get anything in July dumps).

getonbckthr
04-13-2008, 06:26 PM
1. He's not worth Paulie's deal. If that's his market value (which I doubt) we could better spend the money elsewhere, imo.
2. Why do we want Wynn or Durham?
3. Where? The Sox have tried to do that for 2 years.
4 and 5. Agree. Pitchers of MacDougal's caliber have yielded solid prospects in July for many teams. (although the Sox never get anything in July dumps).
1) Crede is more valuable, when healthy, than Konerko. In my opinion.
2) Nothing really. Just to sweeten the deal a little for SF.
3) Honestly for all I care Winston Salem if nobody wants him.

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Right now you don't change a thing. Let's see where we are in May and June before we ask for drastic changes.

FedEx227
04-13-2008, 06:40 PM
You are joking about SF giving up Lincy, right? For Fields and Broadway...

that's a joke, right?

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-13-2008, 06:42 PM

The Sox should definitly look into signing Crede long term, but should also entertain the idea of moving Fields to 1B. If Thome does leave next year, put Konerko at DH.

The Dude
04-13-2008, 06:43 PM
You are joking about SF giving up Lincy, right? For Fields and Broadway...

that's a joke, right?

No joke, just another bckthr gem. :)

Brian26
04-13-2008, 06:46 PM

As some others have stated, this isn't going to happen. For an aging team, Lincecum is their franchise player at this point. He's young, cheap and talented.

getonbckthr
04-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I thought Fields and an alomst ready pitching prospect would be enough.

Brian26
04-13-2008, 06:48 PM
The Sox should definitly look into signing Crede long term, but should also entertain the idea of moving Fields to 1B. If Thome does leave next year, put Konerko at DH.

I like the idea of keeping Crede and Fields, but Konerko doesn't get his just due defensively. I've seen him save Cabrera on at least a half dozen throws so far this year. PK should stay at first.

Fields best defensive position is probably DH.

DeadMoney
04-13-2008, 06:53 PM

I'd rather have Fields at DH and Paulie at 1B, but to each his own. I think Crede fits more so than Thome at this point, so I'm ALL for that.

As for Crede over Thome, the team option for Thome is $13 million for 2009. Would you rather use that for a DH or a position player? At this point, I'd MUCH rather use [part of] that for a 3B and have Fields come up as the DH (which, he isn't really good defensively anywhere, so this works for me).

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but we're 11 games into the season, in first, and playing good ball. Kenny ain't do jack **** right now, or next month for that matter. Keep the horse in front of the cart.

getonbckthr
04-13-2008, 06:57 PM
I'd rather have Fields at DH and Paulie at 1B, but to each his own. I think Crede fits more so than Thome at this point, so I'm ALL for that.

As for Crede over Thome, the team option for Thome is $13 million for 2009. Would you rather use that for a DH or a position player? At this point, I'd MUCH rather use [part of] that for a 3B and have Fields come up as the DH (which, he isn't really good defensively anywhere, so this works for me).
Good point. Thome's 13 plus Crede's 5 puts us 18. I dont imagine Contreras, Uribe and maybe even Cabrera here in 09 with Alexi and Richar and the fact Jose sucks. Lots of money off the books.

MarySwiss
04-13-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but we're 11 games into the season, in first, and playing good ball. Kenny ain't do jack **** right now, or next month for that matter. Keep the horse in front of the cart.

Seriously! My only regret is that I didn't get to Laughlin to get a bet down when they were 40-1!

turners56
04-13-2008, 07:05 PM
1) Crede is more valuable, when healthy, than Konerko. In my opinion.
2) Nothing really. Just to sweeten the deal a little for SF.
3) Honestly for all I care Winston Salem if nobody wants him.

Just how is Crede more valuable than Konerko? Konerko's had very few if any injuries in his career, I'd rather have a 32 year old guy who's been healthy for his entire career than an inferior offensive player at 30 who has gotten injured in the past.

And btw, not even Sabean is stupid enough to give up Tim Lincecum, don't try Cain either, cause that's also a no.

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Seriously! My only regret is that I didn't get to Laughlin to get a bet down when they were 40-1!

Gots me one. :D:

Daver
04-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Just how is Crede more valuable than Konerko? Konerko's had very few if any injuries in his career, I'd rather have a 32 year old guy who's been healthy for his entire career than an inferior offensive player at 30 who has gotten injured in the past.

And btw, not even Sabean is stupid enough to give up Tim Lincecum, don't try Cain either, cause that's also a no.

Baseball is not an offense based sport.

getonbckthr
04-13-2008, 07:20 PM

Last year was our worst year in a while. We also went most the season without Crede. His defense at 3B and his clutch hitting ability is very important. Paulie is a solid defensive 1st basemen but if we would have to move Paulie to keep Crede I would do it in a heart beat.

btrain929
04-13-2008, 07:22 PM

And leave Dye in RF? Sweet.

Noneck
04-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Good point. Thome's 13 plus Crede's 5 puts us 18. I dont imagine Contreras, Uribe and maybe even Cabrera here in 09 with Alexi and Richar and the fact Jose sucks. Lots of money off the books.
Its not 13m for Thome, Its 13m minus 5.5m (Phils pickup in 09) or if he doesn't get 1100 PA appearances combined in 07 and 08 the Sox can buy him out for 3m.

gogosox16
04-13-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that Quentin is a natural RF so I would love to have the Sox entertain the idea of Switching Dye and Quentin.

getonbckthr
04-13-2008, 07:33 PM

I'm pretty sure that Quentin is a natural RF so I would love to have the Sox entertain the idea of Switching Dye and Quentin.
Swisher in LF, Quentin in RF Dye could be expendable.

A. Cavatica
04-13-2008, 07:42 PM

Fields and Broadway is too much to give up for Bernie Lincicome.

chisox77
04-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Right now, just ride it out as it is. The White Sox, at least for the moment, have a pretty good thing going. It's early, but it looks very promising. Just let it play for a while.

:cool:

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Right now, just ride it out as it is. The White Sox, at least for the moment, have a pretty good thing going. It's early, but it looks very promising. Just let it play for a while.

:cool:

Ride the wave!! :smile:

getonbckthr
04-13-2008, 08:25 PM
"Ride the wave" and "enjoy the moment" may sound nice and everything, however if Kenny Williams isn't contantly looking for ways to better the team then he isn't doing his job.

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2008, 08:41 PM
"Ride the wave" and "enjoy the moment" may sound nice and everything, however if Kenny Williams isn't contantly looking for ways to better the team then he isn't doing his job.

How about......If it ain't broke, don't fix it? :tongue:

getonbckthr
04-13-2008, 08:44 PM
How about......If it ain't broke, don't fix it? :tongue:
Love that one :smile:. Hey there's nothing wrong with tightening a screw or a little oil to keep things smooth and successful.

rdivaldi
04-13-2008, 08:52 PM
I can guarantee one thing, KW is constantly looking to wheel and deal. I will be surprised if he ever just lets it ride for any substantial amount of time.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-13-2008, 08:53 PM
I like the idea of keeping Crede and Fields, but Konerko doesn't get his just due defensively. I've seen him save Cabrera on at least a half dozen throws so far this year. PK should stay at first.

Fields best defensive position is probably DH.

That's a good point. But Paulie will be getting older, and eventually will lose a step. Maybe they could rotate all three at DH? Fields could play at 1B and 3B when either Konerko and Crede are DHing. I don't know if Fields will be too enthused to be a DH though.

cws05champ
04-13-2008, 08:56 PM

I'm sure he is, but not much actual dealing is going on at this time. This is evaluation time of your ML squad, other teams and the minors. Just because we don't hear about something doesn't mean it's not going on. The ground work is being laid now through May for deals in July.

I think most are overthinking the Fields/Crede situation...switching guys to different positions all over the place. I just can't see Crede and Fields on the same team. To me it's simple, in Fields you have a 3B prospect that has 30+ HR potential and could be a good offensive player, albeit with inferior defense to Crede. If the Sox are playing well, in it to the end or make the playoffs, they can not trade Crede. If Crede is healthy and playing like he is now, he will command much more than I beleive will be his long term worth. The Sox have a 3B that will step in and be a good offensive player(making only $350K), and they will receive a couple draft picks if they offer arbitration.

gogosox16
04-13-2008, 09:23 PM
I just can't see Crede and Fields on the same team. .
The only way I see the sox having Crede and Fields on the same team is when it's September call ups and when the Sox make the playoffs and have Fields (most likely) on the bench for pinch hit situations

BadBobbyJenks
04-13-2008, 10:18 PM
The only way I see the sox having Crede and Fields on the same team is when it's September call ups and when the Sox make the playoffs and have Fields (most likely) on the bench for pinch hit situations

Thome is in his last year is he not? Why couldnt we sign Crede and have Fields as our DH?

gogosox16
04-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Thome is in his last year is he not? Why couldnt we sign Crede and have Fields as our DH?
I would rather have Dye as the DH in 09' but I wouldn't mind getting rid of Dye this offseason for another young outfielder, and resigning Crede and have Fields DH, with him giving Crede the ocasional day off. I would actually like an outfield of Swish, Quentin, Ba/JO/guy we get for JD in 09'.....just need to develop those 3 that would possibly fill the last out field spot

Tragg
04-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Baseball is not an offense based sport.
I'd say for C and SS, defense trumps offense.
For every other non pitcher position, I'd give the edge to offense, signficantly so for LF, RF and 1B.

WhiteSox5187
04-13-2008, 11:17 PM
It's April 13th, not June 13th. I have no idea what this team is going to need or what moves I'd like to see Kenny make for now. Come late May we'll know what we need much more than now. For now though the only thing I want is for the Sox to win. And I'm sure Kenny agrees with me on that.

voodoochile
04-13-2008, 11:18 PM
I'd say for C and SS, defense trumps offense.
For every other non pitcher position, I'd give the edge to offense, signficantly so for LF, RF and 1B.

I agree. Given two players who can both play a given position take the guy with the better stick almost every single time.

Obviously there are exceptions where a small offensive advantage is offset by a significant upgrade in defense. I'm also not talking about putting Frank Thomas in CF because he's a better hitter than Brian Anderson, but like I said, comparing two players who can both adequately play a given position you take the better bat every time. I already that know Daver disagrees with me.

Jurr
04-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Hopefully everybody stays healthy and keeps playing at a high level with good chemistry. We'll pick up a utility infielder and he'll win a WS game for us.

BUMMER
04-14-2008, 02:46 PM

It's way too early to have to make a decision on the Crede situation - it now has to play out - let's see how the back holds up and Crede/Boras hold the cards.....I agree Thome can go - (too many K's, too many rallies stalled, station-to-station on bases, doesn't play a position, etc) w/o Thome, the Sox can play Quentin LF, Owens/BA platoon CF, and Swisher RF with Dye DH - or Swisher occasional 1B w/ PK DH - or etc, etc......

FedEx227
04-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Hopefully everybody stays healthy and keeps playing at a high level with good chemistry. We'll pick up a utility infielder and he'll win a WS game for us.

I guarantee you that won't pay off, we need Griffey, plain and simple.

hi im skot
04-14-2008, 03:10 PM
I guarantee you that won't pay off, we need Griffey, plain and simple.

:hawk

"Where's he gonna play?"

FedEx227
04-14-2008, 03:12 PM
I loved those times. I remember a fair amount of out-cry when the only guy we acquired at the deadline was some scrub named Geoff Blum. :angry::angry::angry:

KENNY!!