PDA

View Full Version : BBC Article on Baseball

DoItForDanPasqua
04-13-2008, 11:04 AM
A great article about a Brit's take on American baseball games.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/7342495.stm

TornLabrum
04-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Terrific article!

MarySwiss
04-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Very nice!

DSpivack
04-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Went to the Nats game today, there were four guys sitting in front of me with english accents. Maybe he was one of them?

Southsider101
04-13-2008, 07:19 PM
The first time I was in London, I was in need of something to do on a Sunday afternoon. After reading the sports section of one of London's dailies, I found a cricket match at the venerable Oval in South London. Having never been to a cricket match before, I didn't know what to expect. However, after exiting the Underground and making my way into the stadium, I felt like a kid again. There's nothing exciting like walking into an unfamiliar stadium for the first time. The grass, the smell of beer and sausages, could have been Old Comiskey or County stadium for all I knew. The Oval is a a wonderful ground with greener that green grass, a looming gas works beyond the "outfield" wall, and views of London tenements which look like they haven't changed from Dickens's day. I didn't know the rules, or anything about the game. but I did meet some friendly fans who were more than willing to teach a dumb Yank the rules. All in all it turned into a most perfect afternoon.

Railsplitter
04-13-2008, 09:00 PM
You don't get writing like that -on any topic- much over here.

BridgePortNative
04-13-2008, 10:25 PM
eh....that one part about the national anthem, that was pretty dumb and whoever that guy was that said all that is just a dumbass.

aside from that its a great article, maybe something i've read before, yet it's always nice to see another perspective.

TornLabrum
04-13-2008, 10:59 PM
eh....that one part about the national anthem, that was pretty dumb and whoever that guy was that said all that is just a dumbass.

aside from that its a great article, maybe something i've read before, yet it's always nice to see another perspective.

The National Anthem joke was a variation of a joke I first heard in the '50s.

FourStarsTwoBars
04-13-2008, 11:26 PM
During the ALDS in 05 my family hosted a German family whose father was running the marathon. Since we would drop anything to watch these games, he tried to be interested as well. It was when trying to explain to him why America likes baseball that I realized how unique baseball is.

The game dictates the time instead of the time dictating the game.
And with all the ways to get on base and all the ways to get out, it's amazing how it is all second nature (except those drop third strike rules)

DSpivack
04-14-2008, 07:52 AM
During the ALDS in 05 my family hosted a German family whose father was running the marathon. Since we would drop anything to watch these games, he tried to be interested as well. It was when trying to explain to him why America likes baseball that I realized how unique baseball is.

The game dictates the time instead of the time dictating the game.
And with all the ways to get on base and all the ways to get out, it's amazing how it is all second nature (except those drop third strike rules)

Yeah, and most of the world's sports have similar goals: football, soccer, hockey, and basketball all have players going up and down a field/court/rink to try and score a ball/puck in a net/endzone/hoop/goal. Also, baseball is the only sport where the defense has control of the ball. The only sport similar is cricket.

tebman
04-14-2008, 02:40 PM
That was a great article. About 20 years ago there was a group of British engineers where I worked who were part of a technical-partnership thing with an affiliated English company. One of the guys I worked with put together a trip to a Sox game for these folks and arranged the seats so that there'd be one of us nearby the Brits to answer questions.

We had a great time. The folks I sat next to were bewildered by much of it, though they graciously listened to my explanations. The Sox were ahead, and with two outs in the ninth the crowd got on its feet to cheer on the third out. The guy I was sitting next to looked around in a confused way, stood up and smiled and said "Rah, rah!" :D: