PDA

View Full Version : Cabrera-Uribe DP combo

thomas35forever
04-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Anyone notice how effective Cabrera and Uribe are at turning DPs? Not exactly Aparicio-Fox amazing, but they really do well considering they are career and former shortstops respectively.

KenBerryGrab
04-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Uribe's arm has made the difference on at least 3 DPs being completed that pretty much no one else gets.

chisox77
04-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Steve Stone made a great point about the new Sox DP combo earlier this week. It seems to be working well, especially for two players who have only worked together for a couple months.

:cool:

Qdiddy
04-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Personally, I'm very disappointed in Cabrera's defense. He's has shown absolutely no range, takes bad angles on balls, and to top it off he's got a noodle of a arm. How many times a game does Konerko have to dig one out for this guy??? He misplayed two key groundballs in MB loss against Cleveland that Uribe would have made in his sleep.

I'm not a Cabrera hater, but seems to swing at everything and so far has been very very overrated defensively. I hope it's just him adjusting to a new team.

I think it's time to try the Cabrera-Ramirez because Uribe just doesn't look like he has a chance at the plate right now. I don't think it's fair to judge Ramirez off just 10 at bats.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Go SOX!

IlliniSox4Life
04-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Personally, I'm very disappointed in Cabrera's defense. He's has shown absolutely no range, takes bad angles on balls, and to top it off he's got a noodle of a arm. How many times a game does Konerko have to dig one out for this guy??? He misplayed two key groundballs in MB loss against Cleveland that Uribe would have made in his sleep.

I'm not a Cabrera hater, but seems to swing at everything and so far has been very very overrated defensively. I hope it's just him adjusting to a new team.

I think it's time to try the Cabrera-Ramirez because Uribe just doesn't look like he has a chance at the plate right now. I don't think it's fair to judge Ramirez off just 10 at bats.

Go SOX!

Ramirez looked much more lost to me out there than Uribe. I wouldn't mind seeing Alexei play everyday in Charlotte for about 1/3 of the season and then come up here. Right now I think he needs ABs more than anything.

WhiteSox5187
04-13-2008, 01:14 AM
Ramirez looked much more lost to me out there than Uribe. I wouldn't mind seeing Alexei play everyday in Charlotte for about 1/3 of the season and then come up here. Right now I think he needs ABs more than anything.
I agree.

I've been very pleased with our defense up the middle as of now.

DumpJerry
04-13-2008, 01:22 AM

I agree.

I've been very pleased with our defense up the middle as of now.
Count me in on this thought. Our infield is shaping up as a Fort Knox of ground balls.

DickAllen72
04-13-2008, 02:21 AM

I was hoping the Sox would get Cabrera way before they finally made the trade. I always had the impression that he played excellent defense, was a great handler of the bat and a clutch hitter and above all a smart baseball player--just the kind of leader this team needed.

So far from the little I've seen of him this season. he has not shown to be anywhere near the player I thought he was. I hope he is just either a slow starter or as you said maybe just taking a little time to adjust to a new team.

He does seem to be improving a little over the past few days. I just hope that he isn't experiencing a rapid decline of his skills. If the Sox got the Orlando Cabrera that played so well for the Angels, they'll be in great shape this year. If they got what we've seen so far, they're in trouble.

As for the DP combination, Cabrera and Uribe seem to be beginning to gel together and with Uribe's range and arm at 2B they can turn out to be one of the best in baseball.

Konerko05
04-13-2008, 04:50 AM
Uribe is better defensively at short than Cabrera.

Not complaining. Just saying.

WhiteSox5187
04-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Uribe is better defensively at short than Cabrera.

Not complaining. Just saying.

Uribe has more natural talent at short, but last year he rarely used it. He was a dog out there. He was one in '06 too.

Juice16
04-13-2008, 12:38 PM

Go SOX!

Juan has been playing a very good 2B and you think it's time to try Ramirez? You can afford one bad apple in the lineup for his defense.

Tragg
04-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Uribe has more natural talent at short, but last year he rarely used it. He was a dog out there. He was one in '06 too.
Then let Cabrera walk, take the choices, and put Uribe back to short after this year.

Uribe's arm is an awfully high price to pay for his offense at 2B.

voodoochile
04-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Then let Cabrera walk, take the choices, and put Uribe back to short after this year.

Uribe's arm is an awfully high price to pay for his offense at 2B.

Richar will be healthy eventually. I actually would prefer they re-sign Cabrera and move Ramirez to CF permanently in the minors. Then next year Ramirez and BA can duke it out for the starting CF job while Quentin moves to RF, Swisher to LF and Dye takes over DH duties (why anyone would move PK to DH and Dye to 1B is beyond me it simply makes no sense).

FedEx227
04-13-2008, 12:54 PM

Exactly, then why are we rewarding a good 2005 all the while negating for 2 piss-poor defensive and offensive seasons?

Uribe was awful in 2006 and 2007, but I want to start him at short in 2009.

WHY DO WE STILL HAVE THIS GUY?! I love defense too, but doesn't there come a time when you stop rewarding sub .300 OBP from a member of your lineup even for the sacrifice of defense?

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Go SOX!

The last time I checked, Uribe had a higher average and OBP then Thome.........and he's batting ninth. :?:

Vernam
04-13-2008, 01:11 PM
The last time I checked, Uribe had a higher average and OBP then Thome.........and he's batting ninth. :?:Let's give Thome a look at SS.

Vernam

KyWhiSoxFan
04-13-2008, 01:13 PM
It is very very early in the season, and we'll have to how it plays out, but if I had to make a decision on Cabrera today, I would let him walk at the end of the season and take the draft picks. They have Ramirez in the wings and that 16yo kid in a couple of years (forgot his name), plus Uribe as possibles at short for 2009. I don't have any problems with Cabrera, but he does not wow me either.

If Garland walked at the end of the year, they would have gotten less than if Cabrera walks, so I look at that as a plus for having Cabrera this season. Next season may be a different story.

Bigfoot38
04-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I like cabrera he hasn't won gold gloves because he doesn't know how to play short. Uribe's arm doesn't only help in double plays but playing the cutoff man aswell (that was shown cutting down a runner in detroit at 3rd). If we come close to or have success in the playoffs I think letting someone like cabrera's caliber to walk away would be a mistake

WhiteSox5187
04-13-2008, 04:28 PM
It is very very early in the season, and we'll have to how it plays out, but if I had to make a decision on Cabrera today, I would let him walk at the end of the season and take the draft picks. They have Ramirez in the wings and that 16yo kid in a couple of years (forgot his name), plus Uribe as possibles at short for 2009. I don't have any problems with Cabrera, but he does not wow me either.

If Garland walked at the end of the year, they would have gotten less than if Cabrera walks, so I look at that as a plus for having Cabrera this season. Next season may be a different story.
That is EXACTLY why the season doesn't end in April! Cabrera will come around.

asindc
04-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Richar will be healthy eventually. I actually would prefer they re-sign Cabrera and move Ramirez to CF permanently in the minors. Then next year Ramirez and BA can duke it out for the starting CF job while Quentin moves to RF, Swisher to LF and Dye takes over DH duties (why anyone would move PK to DH and Dye to 1B is beyond me it simply makes no sense).

I agree with this, and I am a big Dye fan. As for Uribe and Cabrera, it is working very well defensively, which is the main concern for me. When the team is hitting like it is now, the Sox can afford to have Uribe hack his way through ABs. I think Cabrera will be fine at the plate in the long term.

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2008, 05:54 PM
I agree with this, and I am a big Dye fan. As for Uribe and Cabrera, it is working very well defensively, which is the main concern for me. When the team is hitting like it is now, the Sox can afford to have Uribe hack his way through ABs. I think Cabrera will be fine at the plate in the long term.

:scratch: You have to have a #9 hitter and Uribe is it.