PDA

View Full Version : compare two players' game

eastchicagosoxfan
04-12-2008, 08:02 PM
I like to compare players, and try to determine the better player. While comparisons between the all-time greats are common, I like to look at good, but not great players. So here's my idea, and we'll see if it has legs. Pick two players, preferbly an active one, and a retired one. The comparison of course won't be fair, but it could be fun. Since it's my idea, I'll start.

Fred Lynn or Carlos Lee?

I think Lynn was the better player, but Lee has some impressive offensive numbers, and if he stays healthy, he could really rack up some great numbers. Lynn of course, couldn't stay healthy, while Lee has been relatively injury free. At the end of the day, I think Lynn will be remembered as the better ballplayer.

btrain929
04-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Sandy Koufax and DLS. Koufax being a lefty worked to his benefit, but besides that, based on pure stuff and dominance, DLS is getting the ball from me on Opening Day and Game 7 of the World Series and I'm not thinking twice about it....

DumpJerry
04-13-2008, 12:34 AM
Sandy Koufax and DLS. Koufax being a lefty worked to his benefit, but besides that, based on pure stuff and dominance, DLS is getting the ball from me on Opening Day and Game 7 of the World Series and I'm not thinking twice about it....
No comparison. DLS beats Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Nolan Ryan, Warren Spahn, and Bob Feller hands down!

Nellie_Fox
04-13-2008, 01:14 AM
No comparison. DLS beats Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Nolan Ryan, Warren Spahn, and Bob Feller hands down!You left out Cy Young.

fusillirob1983
04-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Inspired by the Koufax/DLS comparison:

Willie Mays or Chris Young? Willie Mays is one of the greatest outfielders and players of all time, and although he hasn't done it yet, we know that in 20 years Chris Young will be the undisputed greatest player of all time.

Brian26
04-13-2008, 06:41 PM
I think Lynn was the better player, but Lee has some impressive offensive numbers, and if he stays healthy, he could really rack up some great numbers. Lynn of course, couldn't stay healthy, while Lee has been relatively injury free. At the end of the day, I think Lynn will be remembered as the better ballplayer.

Lynn was ROY and MVP in 1975 (I believe the only guy to ever do that). He also won four gold gloves. Lynn consistently hit 20 hrs and batted around .280. I think because he played an era with larger ballparks and a little less offense, in addition to having the better glove, he should be remembered as the better all-around player.

Ziggy S
04-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Lynn was ROY and MVP in 1975 (I believe the only guy to ever do that).

Ichiro won the ROY and MVP in 2001.

Elephant
04-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Ichiro won the ROY and MVP in 2001.

Okay, the only actual rookie.

Madvora
04-13-2008, 08:07 PM
I'd like to hear a comparison between Joe Crede and Robin Ventura.

Crede (http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/credejo01.shtml)
Ventura (http://www.baseball-reference.com/v/venturo01.shtml)

Robin had a couple real nice stat years, but it looks like that could be the type of career Joe is heading for.
In the field... who knows? We were lucky to have both of these guys on the Sox.

EDIT - that page says Ventura had an inning pitched with the Dodgers in 2004. Anyone know anything about that?

BridgePortNative
04-13-2008, 09:08 PM

Robin had a couple real nice stat years, but it looks like that could be the type of career Joe is heading for.

EDIT - that page says Ventura had an inning pitched with the Dodgers in 2004. Anyone know anything about that?

yeah, i was watching that game. the dodgers were getting blown out pretty bad against i believe the red sox and ventura ended up doing some RP.

BadBobbyJenks
04-13-2008, 10:45 PM
What all time great would Vlad be compared to? I cant think of anybody.

Brian26
04-13-2008, 10:57 PM
What all time great would Vlad be compared to? I cant think of anybody.

Dave Parker

eastchicagosoxfan
04-14-2008, 07:47 AM

I think Ventura will have had the better career. However, and this gives a glimpse of the importance of post-season play, Crede could be more revered by Sox fans, because he can still play in October. Ventura had three consecutive Gold Gloves, while Crede has yet to win one. I don't think Crede will play as long either. I hope I'm wrong, and he remains a healthy White Sox for years to come. These two guys are very close, and if Crede remains healthy, he could be entering his prime.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Dave Parker

Parker's foray in cocaine really cost him. He lost a lot of production for a good two years, maybe more to his habit. He was huge his last couple of years as a Pirate. He had some great years as a Red and as a member of the A's. He's really forgotten though. Guerrero will continue to play well the next several years, and skate into Cooperstown. Parker, with similiar numbers, may still be on the outside looking in. I think Parker was better. He played in the NL, so his stats won't be as gaudy.

skobabe8
04-14-2008, 09:34 AM
I think Ventura will have had the better career. However, and this gives a glimpse of the importance of post-season play, Crede could be more revered by Sox fans, because he can still play in October. Ventura had three consecutive Gold Gloves, while Crede has yet to win one. I don't think Crede will play as long either. I hope I'm wrong, and he remains a healthy White Sox for years to come. These two guys are very close, and if Crede remains healthy, he could be entering his prime.

Its tough because Robin won the Gold Gloves and Crede has not yet, even tough his fielding percentage has been consistantly higher than Robins over the first full 5 seasons in their careers.