PDA

View Full Version : Good to see FOX getting Screwed

Chicken Dinner
04-12-2008, 07:11 PM
With the Red Sox/Yanks getting rain delayed, they had to cut over to the Dbacks/Rocks......which was a blow out. I sure am glad the Masters was on. :smile:

TDog
04-12-2008, 07:17 PM
With the Red Sox/Yanks getting rain delayed, they had to cut over to the Dbacks/Rocks......which was a blow out. I sure am glad the Masters was on. :smile:

I wasn't aware people actually watched telvised golf.

Chicken Dinner
04-12-2008, 07:21 PM

Oh yeah.....it's the Masters dude! :cool:

DumpJerry
04-12-2008, 07:41 PM
It is a safe cure for insomnia. No side effects and definitely non-addictive.

LoveYourSuit
04-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Anyone see the guy losing his pants while rolling the tarp at Fenway?

chisoxfanatic
04-12-2008, 08:46 PM
I wasn't watching; but, according to my boyfriend, FOX cut away from the game in the 9th inning for NASCAR! LOL! Beautie! :D:

Kogs35
04-12-2008, 08:59 PM
I wasn't watching; but, according to my boyfriend, FOX cut away from the game in the 9th inning for NASCAR! LOL! Beautie! :D:

it was also showing on fx fwiw

itsnotrequired
04-12-2008, 10:42 PM
I can't believe FOX had to give back the money they got for selling advertising slots. Those poor fools...

Viva Medias B's
04-12-2008, 10:45 PM

And a tradition...unlike any other.

MarySwiss
04-12-2008, 11:01 PM

Not sure if these should have been teal, but IMO, the people running the PGA in general and the Masters in particular need to dial it back because they are annoying as hell. And in this case, tradition = pretention.

MrMarySwiss is a golfer and because of that, I learned to play the game. We actually played a round at Waveland the day we got engaged. But get a grip, people! Augusta is not a temple, and those green jackets are UGLY!

SOX LA Mikey
04-12-2008, 11:26 PM
I HATE Fox, particularly their baseball coverage

I have the MLB package on DirecTV, woke up anticipating
watching Gavin's gem on Comcast, but NO - denied by
the jerks at FOX and their blackout rule. the worst part
being there is NO choice, you get whatever crappy game they
shove down your throat. That's why I cringe whenever I see
the Sox scheduled for Saturday afternoons, I know I'll rarely
get to watch it.
When I saw on GAMEDAY that Floyd was pitching a NO-Hitter
in the 5th, I had to jump in my car and listen on XM, I'm pleased
to hear Stoney doing Sox games BTW.

Nellie_Fox
04-13-2008, 12:07 AM
I wasn't aware people actually watched telvised golf.Yeah, that's why they keep televising it every weekend; because no one watches. :rolleyes:

chisoxfanatic
04-13-2008, 12:09 AM
I HATE Fox, particularly their baseball coverage.
Jeanne Zelasko needs to go!

Tragg
04-13-2008, 12:12 AM

And if you didn't know it, Jim Nantz will remind you every 10 minutes.....but what is the tradition that is unlike any other? They won't televise the front nine?

JB98
04-13-2008, 12:13 AM

Actually, they cut away from the baseball game with two outs and two strikes in the ninth.

Hell hath no fury like NASCAR fans.

TDog
04-13-2008, 01:02 AM
Yeah, that's why they keep televising it every weekend; because no one watches. :rolleyes:

As long as you're going to roll cartoon eyes at me ... by most standards, golf gets attrocious ratings, but its viewers generally have enough money to appeal to some high-end advertisers. You can't say that golf is the lowest-rated sport because it really isn't a sport. It's more of an activity.

I imagine if I golfed, I might find interest in watching other people golf, although this is pure speculation. I like walking, but watching people walk does nothing for me.

There are people who watch infomercials and the home shopping channels, so nothing surprises me.

Nellie_Fox
04-13-2008, 01:13 AM
You can't say that golf is the lowest-rated sport because it really isn't a sport. It's more of an activity.Let's not start the argument of "what's a sport" because it all revolves around your definition, and I've found that people create a definition to exclude the sport they want to exclude. I'm not going to ask you why you think that golf "isn't really a sport" because I don't care.

However, your comment was that you weren't aware that anyone watches, and of course, that's nonsense. If no one watched, it wouldn't be on, and that's why I rolled the eyes at you. You came back arguing about low ratings, which isn't the same thing as no one watching.

TDog
04-13-2008, 02:47 AM
Let's not start the argument of "what's a sport" because it all revolves around your definition, and I've found that people create a definition to exclude the sport they want to exclude. I'm not going to ask you why you think that golf "isn't really a sport" because I don't care.

However, your comment was that you weren't aware that anyone watches, and of course, that's nonsense. If no one watched, it wouldn't be on, and that's why I rolled the eyes at you. You came back arguing about low ratings, which isn't the same thing as no one watching.

Ernest Hemingway said boxing is the only sport. All else are games. I don't know what he called bullfighting, but he seems to have been a baseball fan. The White Sox of Chicago even got a mention in The Old Man and the Sea. As did the Tigers of Detroit, if memory serves. My comment, though, was more inspired by Mark Twain , who termed golf "a good walk spoiled."

Obviously I know that people watch golf, although they are relatively few. I do find it hard to believe that anyone watches golf, outside of a Clockwork Orange situation where they are strapped down with their eyelids held open. My original post utilized hyperbole to express surprise that watching golfers who are on television every weekend doing the same thing in different places would be any sort of consolation for someone started out to watch a baseball game.

Railsplitter
04-13-2008, 06:07 AM
Jeanne Zelasko needs to go!

She's blackmailling Rupert Murdoch. How else do you explain how she stays on? :wink:

Frontman
04-13-2008, 07:46 AM
She's blackmailling Rupert Murdoch. How else do you explain how she stays on? :wink:

Or she'll beat him up, she's looks tough.

As far as golf and not liking it? To each their own. I enjoy both playing and watching golf. The Masters is the World Series/Daytona 500/Superbowl for golf. At least golf coverage can jump from player to player.

Now watching televised soccer? No thank you.

Fenway
04-13-2008, 08:35 AM
There is going to be BIG trouble over this. FOX is not allowed to cut away from the home markets.

Red Sox ownership is livid.

fquaye149
04-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Ernest Hemingway said boxing is the only sport. All else are games. I don't know what he called bullfighting, but he seems to have been a baseball fan. The White Sox of Chicago even got a mention in The Old Man and the Sea. As did the Tigers of Detroit, if memory serves. My comment, though, was more inspired by Mark Twain , who termed golf "a good walk spoiled."

Obviously I know that people watch golf, although they are relatively few. I do find it hard to believe that anyone watches golf, outside of a Clockwork Orange situation where they are strapped down with their eyelids held open. My original post utilized hyperbole to express surprise that watching golfers who are on television every weekend doing the same thing in different places would be any sort of consolation for someone started out to watch a baseball game.

Yeah. We get it. You don't like golf. That would put you in the minority of adult males in this country.

Most people don't watch golf. Many people watch the Masters. Hilarious Clockwork Orange references aside.

fquaye149
04-13-2008, 09:01 AM
There is going to be BIG trouble over this. FOX is not allowed to cut away from the home markets.

Red Sox nation ought to shut the **** up

DSpivack
04-13-2008, 09:49 AM

And what could they possibly do?

I'm sure the ratings for NASCAR are a heck of a lot higher than baseball.

itsnotrequired
04-13-2008, 10:08 AM

What are the rules regarding NASCAR? Can they be preempted?

Sounds like a catch-22 for FOX...

South Side Irish
04-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Red Sox nation ought to shut the **** up

And what could they possibly do?

I'm sure the ratings for NASCAR are a heck of a lot higher than baseball.

I think he's referring to the home markets, not national coverage. I'm guessing the game wasn't on any other channel, and Fox was the only coverage. Fox cuts away, nobody in NY or Boston gets to see their team finish playing.

Nationally, no big deal - I'm sure NASCAR draws higher. But locally, I can see why this would have been a problem.

tick53
04-13-2008, 10:33 AM
My brother's eyes have been transfixed on The Masters but he did switched over to the Sox game yesterday.

VenturaFan23
04-13-2008, 10:45 AM

get to watch it.

This is my first time with the MLB package and I'm ticked that every day game on Saturday is blacked out too. But I can't complain too much since I'm able to see the Sox games. I feel for you guys outside the region though!

By the way, is David Ortiz in a slump? I don't think FOX even mentioned it once.

cws05champ
04-13-2008, 12:03 PM

get to watch it.

I'm in the same boat dude...I'm really tired of the Fox blackouts. WHY do they do this? Does anyone know? With all the interactive receivers and channels available on cable and DTV, wouldn't it make more sense to give people a choice? I'm a big baseball fan, but living here in Florida and it being an afternoon game in mid April, I'm going to be doing something outside vs having to watch the Red Sox/Yanks. Now if the White Sox were on, I'm watching. Then Fox is sure to maximize the total audience for the games.

DSpivack
04-13-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm in the same boat dude...I'm really tired of the Fox blackouts. WHY do they do this? Does anyone know? With all the interactive receivers and channels available on cable and DTV, wouldn't it make more sense to give people a choice? I'm a big baseball fan, but living here in Florida and it being an afternoon game in mid April, I'm going to be doing something outside vs having to watch the Red Sox/Yanks. Now if the White Sox were on, I'm watching. Then Fox is sure to maximize the total audience for the games.

It's weird to me that it's not blacked out on MLB.tv. I couldn't decide whether to get Extra Innings or MLB.tv, now I'm glad I got the latter. Those saturday day games were all blacked out in the past as the Fox games were at 1pm. Now that they start at 3:55, only the games that start at the same 3:55 slot are blacked out, not the earlier 1pm games (at least on MLB.tv).

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2008, 06:34 PM
It's weird to me that it's not blacked out on MLB.tv. I couldn't decide whether to get Extra Innings or MLB.tv, now I'm glad I got the latter. Those saturday day games were all blacked out in the past as the Fox games were at 1pm. Now that they start at 3:55, only the games that start at the same 3:55 slot are blacked out, not the earlier 1pm games (at least on MLB.tv).

I don't how big your monitor is, but I'd sure rather watch games on the big screen 60".

DSpivack
04-13-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't how big your monitor is, but I'd sure rather watch games on the big screen 60".

I was definitely going to get Extra Innings, but decided it wasn't worth it since so few games are in HD. Especially with the $80 difference in price.

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2008, 07:17 PM
I was definitely going to get Extra Innings, but decided it wasn't worth it since so few games are in HD. Especially with the $80 difference in price.

I spend a lot of coin on Cox cable, but then again I have 2 TV's on the patio so I can sit in the pool and watch baseball. :smile:

chaerulez
04-14-2008, 01:16 AM
As long as you're going to roll cartoon eyes at me ... by most standards, golf gets attrocious ratings, but its viewers generally have enough money to appeal to some high-end advertisers. You can't say that golf is the lowest-rated sport because it really isn't a sport. It's more of an activity.

I imagine if I golfed, I might find interest in watching other people golf, although this is pure speculation. I like walking, but watching people walk does nothing for me.

There are people who watch infomercials and the home shopping channels, so nothing surprises me.

The Masters gets ratings well over 10 or even 12 if Tiger is in contention. That's pretty good. Maybe some no name tournament in Texas gets crap ratings, but this is basically the priemer event of the PGA tour. I think that beats a Yankees vs. Red Sox game. If not, I don't think any other regular season pairing in MLB could pull down a 12 on a Sunday afternoon.

Chicken Dinner
04-14-2008, 11:13 AM

They're sorry.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/04/13/fox.switch.ap/index.html?eref=si_mlb

Fenway
04-14-2008, 11:17 AM
They're sorry.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/04/13/fox.switch.ap/index.html?eref=si_mlb

friend works at a Boston bar that was packed with fans who had left because of the rain delay....complete bedlam when 30 TVs changed to racing

skottyj242
04-14-2008, 11:52 AM
They're sorry.

It is being compared to the Heidi game? It was a the second week of the season and it was one out. I hate stuff sometimes.