PDA

View Full Version : I threw out the first pitch Friday night!!!!!!!

skobabe8
04-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Well, my fiance Converted did, actually. I asked her to marry me before the game at the Legacy Brick ceremony. The White Sox went completely above and beyond in providing us with an UNBELIEVEABLE experience. They amazed me by letting her throw out the first pitch, which they presented to me just a few hours before the game. If any of you saw us, I'm sure you have a better memory of it than I do because my head was spinning the entire time!!!

Thank you Dave Eklin, Lou Hernandez, Brooks Boyer, and anyone else who may have helped out. I cannot thank you guys enough!!!! Its stuff like that that makes this organization in a class by itself. And they dont do it for the press or to make themselves look like heroes. They do it because they are just great people. Simple as that. I'm sure they do things like that all the time and we just dont hear about it.

For making Friday, April 11, 2008, one of the most special days of our lives, Liz and I want to say...THANK YOU! :)
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/data/6/medium/IMG_0230.JPG (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1963&size=big&cat=)

(Thanks also to DumpJerry for stopping by and MrRoboto83 for the phone call!)

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/data/6/Sox_Game_001.JPG

soxfanreggie
04-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Congratulations. You have it spot on, the White Sox are world-class organization!

itsnotrequired
04-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Drinking in the parking lot once again foils itsnotrequired seeing something neat. Congrarts!

whitesoxwilkes
04-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Congrats to you both!

Frontman
04-12-2008, 07:01 PM
I was wondering if you were "one of ours" here at WSI.

Congrats, and best of luck to both of you.

As the Irish would bless you:

"May God be with you and bless you,
May you see your children's children,
May you be poor in misfortune, rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward."

Here's to many years of time together, and many years of White Sox winners!

DumpJerry
04-12-2008, 07:04 PM
It was great seeing you guys after the game. You two were still beaming (the only Sox fans doing that after the game)! Congrats again!

itsnotrequired
04-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Marriage is a sham.*

*don't tell my wife

HomeFish
04-12-2008, 07:07 PM
That's awesome.

chisoxfanatic
04-12-2008, 07:08 PM
It's too bad there was a huge accident on the Ryan closing all northbound express lanes, or I would've been able to see it too. Congrats, Skobabe! I hope the wedding turns out nice.

kevingrt
04-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Well, my fiance Converted did, actually. I asked her to marry me before the game at the Legacy Brick ceremony. The White Sox went completely above and beyond in providing us with an UNBELIEVEABLE experience. They amazed me by letting her throw out the first pitch, which they presented to me just a few hours before the game. If any of you saw us, I'm sure you have a better memory of it than I do because my head was spinning the entire time!!!

Thank you Dave Eklin, Lou Hernandez, Brooks Boyer, and anyone else who may have helped out. I cannot thank you guys enough!!!! Its stuff like that that makes this organization in a class by itself. And they dont do it for the press or to make themselves look like heroes. They do it because they are just great people. Simple as that. I'm sure they do things like that all the time and we just dont hear about it.

For making Friday, April 11, 2008, one of the most special days in our lives, Liz and I want to say...THANK YOU! :)

(Thanks also to DumpJerry for stopping by and MrRoboto83 for the phone call! Ill post pictures as soon as I can!)

They showed it before the game last night. That sounded awesome. Nice jersey you got for Ms. Skobabe as well.

October26
04-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Congratulations, Skobabe8 and fiance. May you have a very happy life together and produce lots of new White Sox fans!:bandance:

DumpJerry
04-12-2008, 07:14 PM
That's awesome.
Now we know how to get a positive comment from Homefish. This deserves a huge congrats!

skobabe8
04-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Now we know how to get a positive comment from Homefish. This deserves a huge congrats!

LOL!

They showed it before the game last night. That sounded awesome. Nice jersey you got for Ms. Skobabe as well.

Thanks everyone!

The jersey that liz was wearing was provided by the White Sox. As was the hat. Like I said, ABOVE AND BEYOND!!!

AJ saw my Pierzynski jersey and came out and signed our ball after Buehrle signed it. He then talked **** to Burls because I had his jersey and not one of Marks! :D:

Vernam
04-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Now we know how to get a positive comment from Homefish. This deserves a huge congrats!:shocked:

What a great story! Can't wait to see your wedding announcement in the newspaper: Mr. and Mrs. Converted are pleased to announce the engagement of their daughter, Converted, to Skobabe8, son of Mr. and Mrs. Skobabe8. :wink:

Vernam

scarsofthumper
04-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh man!! I thought how cool that was watching that too!

TheVulture
04-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Well, my fiance Converted did, actually. I asked her to marry me before the game at the Legacy Brick ceremony.

Wow. I always thought you were a lady due to the screen name - anyway, congrats!

skobabe8
04-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Wow. I always thought you were a lady due to the screen name - anyway, congrats!

I get that alot. It was a stupid nickname in high school and it does confuse alot of people.

Risk
04-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Congrats Skobabe and Converted!!!:gulp::D:

Risk

HITMEN OF 77
04-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Congrats!! Thats awesome!! :bandance:

voodoochile
04-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Wow! Throwing out the first pitch at a Sox game and it's not even the best thing that happened to you folks that day. That's a pretty cool day...

Congrats!

Now get busy and breed some more Sox fans...:D:

skobabe8
04-12-2008, 08:13 PM
pics are up in the photo gallery!

MrRoboto83
04-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Congrats Jason and Liz, when I saw you on TV my jaw dropped to the ground, I was like "I know those people" I am very happy for both of you.

Domeshot17
04-12-2008, 08:20 PM
That is awesome man! Congrats I had no idea that was you but it was really cool.

If you need any help or have any wedding questions, Mine is in June, so I have been through most of it already.

That said here is the best thing I have learned

You prosposed, let her make every other decision from now on, show up on time, and you will be ok.

MarySwiss
04-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Wow, that's cool! Congratulations to both of you!

Are you going to have a White Sox wedding?

kevingrt
04-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Wow! Throwing out the first pitch at a Sox game and it's not even the best thing that happened to you folks that day. That's a pretty cool day...

You'd be wrong to think that throwing out the 1st pitch was not the coolest thing about his experience yesterday.

SoxNation05
04-12-2008, 08:37 PM
You locked up a good one.

jabrch
04-12-2008, 08:48 PM
That is awesome! Congrats to both of you.

FielderJones
04-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Congratulations to you both, Sko. I hope this won't interfere with the softball game this summer :redneck

thomas35forever
04-12-2008, 09:06 PM

I got a better idea. In addition to the real wedding, we should have our own virtual wedding party here at WSI! This could revolutionize the way weddings are celebrated, people.

Anyway, congrats!!:smile:

skobabe8
04-12-2008, 09:08 PM

Congrats!

Now get busy and breed some more Sox fans...:D:

No problem! :cool:

Probably not....but anything is possible! :tongue: If it is, I want WSI moderators to be the ushers.

chisoxfanatic
04-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Jason, have you set a date yet?

Did you think of having the 2005 World Series trophy as your wedding cake?

Daver
04-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Probably not....but anything is possible! :tongue: If it is, I want WSI moderators to be the ushers.

I don't think I'm allowed in churches.

That was a very nice gesture by the White Sox PR staff though, a gesture that would make Bill Veeck proud, and congrats.

Frontman
04-12-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't think I'm allowed in churches.

That was a very nice gesture by the White Sox PR staff though, a gesture that would make Bill Veeck proud, and congrats.

Makes me proud to be a Sox fan.

infohawk
04-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Please accept my sincere congratulations! I hope the two of you have a terrific life together!!!:D:

chisoxmike
04-12-2008, 09:26 PM
CONGRATS GUYS!

I didn't even notice that was you guys throwing out the pitch. :redface:

Must of been a unbelievable time! You both deserve it!

Congrats, again!

IlliniSox4Life
04-12-2008, 09:38 PM
That's really awesome, congrats to you and Converted.

1 question about exactly what went down - did you contact them just to have the announcement on the jumbotron, and then they went way out of their way and did all that with the first pitch? Whatever happened, thumbs up to the Sox for a great experience. Also, that's a great story about AJ and Buehrle.

I got a better idea. In addition to the real wedding, we should have our own virtual wedding party here at WSI! This could revolutionize the way weddings are celebrated, people.

Anyway, congrats!!:smile:

The chat room isn't being used as much these days...

IlliniSox4Life
04-12-2008, 09:40 PM
I also forgot to mention that I became a "WSI High Priest" within the last few days due to my post count. I'm not sure of all the new powers I am granted, but I have to assume that I am now legally allowed to marry people. I think that it can't just be coincidence that within a few days of becoming a High Priest somebody here gets engaged, so I am more than willing to perform the ceremony.

skobabe8
04-12-2008, 09:47 PM
That's really awesome, congrats to you and Converted.

1 question about exactly what went down - did you contact them just to have the announcement on the jumbotron, and then they went way out of their way and did all that with the first pitch? Whatever happened, thumbs up to the Sox for a great experience. Also, that's a great story about AJ and Buehrle.

The chat room isn't being used as much these days...

No. I contacted them just to give them a general heads up "hey this is what i will be doing" kind of thing. Brooks forwarded my email to Lou Hernandez in the PR dept. I also talked with my ticket rep. and him and Lou got together and just made things happen. I did not ask for anything on the scoreboard since I had put my message to Liz on a legacy brick. They offered to give Liz a jersey, have her throw the first pitch, have WGN and Comcast interview us, and a few more hook-ups without me even asking. I am grateful beyond words.

Heather--We have not set a date, we are not sure. I will have something White Sox at the wedding. Just not sure what yet.

Mike--PAY ATTENTION!

IlliniSox4Life
04-12-2008, 09:57 PM
No. I contacted them just to give them a general heads up "hey this is what i will be doing" kind of thing. Brooks forwarded my email to Lou Hernandez in the PR dept. I also talked with my ticket rep. and him and Lou got together and just made things happen. I did not ask for anything on the scoreboard since I had put my message to Liz on a legacy brick. They offered to give Liz a jersey, have her throw the first pitch, have WGN and Comcast interview us, and a few more hook-ups without me even asking. I am grateful beyond words.

Wow, that's really cool to hear. Thanks for sharing the details.

mcg
04-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Congratulations to both of you!

My husband and I incorporated the Blackhawks into our reception. We wore jerseys when we introduced (me in white and he in black of course) and Here Come the Hawks was the song playing. The majority of my family are Blackhawks fans so everyone got a kick out of it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/mcg80/thjerseybig.jpg

chisoxfanatic
04-12-2008, 10:15 PM

My husband and I incorporated the Blackhawks into our reception. We wore jerseys when we introduced (me in white and he in black of course) and Here Come the Hawks was the song playing. The majority of my family are Blackhawks fans so everyone got a kick out of it.

That's so awesome! Did you have a Stanley Cup wedding cake or something??? What else did you have besides wearing Blackhawk sweaters and playing Here Come the Hawks?

BeefyD
04-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Wow, what an excellent story! CONGRATS!!!

(Although, I must admit, the post before me about a Stanley Cup wedding cake makes me drool just thinking of it. Too bad I'm already married. Maybe next time! :smile:)

starboy0
04-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Dude...what a great memory this will be! When your grandkids are sitting in the stands for the WS 2040 White Sox they will be able to talk about the day grandpa proposed to grandma at the park.

chisoxfanatic
04-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Wow, what an excellent story! CONGRATS!!!

(Although, I must admit, the post before me about a Stanley Cup wedding cake makes me drool just thinking of it. Too bad I'm already married. Maybe next time! :smile:)

I've actually mentioned it to my boyfriend. The Blackhawks are both of our favorite sports team. And then, you can have a small bouquet of flowers (hockey sticks) coming out of a goal on the top of the cup with a ton of little Indian heads on the sides! :)

Hey, you could have a "second wedding" on your next anniversary or something! :smile:

LongLiveFisk
04-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Add yet another congrats from me....that is the coolest! Not everyone can say they threw out the first pitch to a ballgame....the thrill of a lifetime (besides your wedding, of course!) :D:

Cheers! :cheers:

pdimas
04-12-2008, 11:16 PM

For making Friday, April 11, 2008, one of the most special days of our lives, Liz and I want to say...THANK YOU! :)
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/data/6/medium/IMG_0230.JPG (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1963&size=big&cat=)

Hey Jason congratulations to you and Liz!! Great news and what a great story you'll have to tell the kids :smile:!

tebman
04-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Oh, man -- congratulations on so many levels!

I wish nothing but happiness for you both, but hey, after a liftoff like this it looks like you're already there. :cool:

What a great move by the Sox front office. Cheers all around! :cheers:

ws05champs
04-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Mrs. ws05champs and I were very impressed when they announced it at the park. Congratulations!

NoShoesJoe
04-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Congrats to you both.

Remember, marriage isn't a word - it's a sentence!

Sockinchisox
04-12-2008, 11:29 PM

Heather--We have not set a date, we are not sure. I will have something
White Sox at the wedding. Just not sure what yet.
Mike--PAY ATTENTION!

http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/whitesox.jpg

"I'm available for weddings!"

Haha, Congrats though, that's awesome!

whtsx1959
04-12-2008, 11:32 PM
She tossed it pretty well to home = keeper

itsnotrequired
04-12-2008, 11:38 PM
http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/whitesox.jpg

"I'm available for weddings!"

Haha, Congrats though, that's awesome!

Southpaw seems like the kind of hoser that would get totally bombed at a wedding and act the fool. NO THANKS!

MarySwiss
04-12-2008, 11:44 PM

Smart move!

I still feel bad about the couple that had their White Sox wedding last Memorial Day weekend, when the game was rained out. That had to suck for them, but hopefully they made the best of it and turned it into a story they will tell their grandkids.

Again, this is a terrific story and one that clearly illustrates a major reason we are Sox fans.

skobabe8
04-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Southpaw seems like the kind of hoser that would get totally bombed at a wedding and act the fool. NO THANKS!

LOL...I can picture Southpaw and Chips taking shots together at the reception.

We are supposed to get the video of her toss. I will try to get it uploaded somehow and post a link. She broke off a ****ing nasty snapdragon!

itsnotrequired
04-12-2008, 11:54 PM
LOL...I can picture Southpaw and Chips taking shots together at the reception.

Chips actually tried to buy Southpaw a beer at the game today. No dice.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Congratulations and best wishes. Always good to see White Sox fans happy!

BainesHOF
04-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Congratulations to the both of you!

IlliniSox4Life
04-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Chips actually tried to buy Southpaw a beer at the game today. No dice.

:rolling:

DumpJerry
04-13-2008, 01:29 AM
:R&R
We're available if any of those pesky Mods can't make it.......

chisoxfanatic
04-13-2008, 01:32 AM
Funny thing you bring up Ribbie & Rubarb...Ribbie splits season tickets right next to me with three others. He's such a funny guy. Some of his one-liners are priceless. I think he'd do weddings! :D:

ChiSoxGirl
04-13-2008, 02:13 AM

OMG, that was you guys?!?!?! WOO HOO!!!! I was in the Bullpen Bar for the first pitch pretty far away from a t.v. and couldn't even tell who it was. By the way, I think the way you proposed is AWESOME! Congratulations Jason & Liz! How exciting!

Stringer
04-13-2008, 03:06 AM
Congrats!

ksimpson14
04-13-2008, 04:09 AM
Don't know you but great story, and best of luck

FarWestChicago
04-13-2008, 07:37 AM
This is a great thread/story. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Frontman
04-13-2008, 08:25 AM

Well, in that line of thinking, White Sox caps for the groomsmen, "Thunderstruck" for all your introductions. You could even get the DJ to give the full power "White Sox fans, on you feet for your......."

:wink:

stillz
04-13-2008, 08:50 AM
What a great story! Best news I've read on the old internets all morning. Congrats to you both!! :smile:

Scottiehaswheels
04-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Congrats guys! Mr Roboto called me and told me he saw you guys on there. Awesome stuff. And I was gonna ask you on O.D. if/when you'd pop the question. :D:

tick53
04-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Nice Going Sko! :bandance:That had to be a great feeling! Good job to the Sox organization too for their part! YES!

skobabe8
04-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Congrats guys! Mr Roboto called me and told me he saw you guys on there. Awesome stuff. And I was gonna ask you on O.D. if/when you'd pop the question. :D:

I actually was getting phone calls from Dave while we were tailgating and I had to walk away a few times. Not sure if you noticed or not. :cool:

Up until last Friday, people who knew us would sometimes ask us when we were getting engaged and I would always give some sort of answer that I knew would piss her off, like "engaged to who?" or "not anytime soon." All part of the plan.

By the way, Thank You everyone again for your well wishes. We really have been overwhelmed by the response on WSI. :tiphat::hug::Rocker:

doublem23
04-14-2008, 10:57 AM
That is very, very cool. Congrats to both of you!

I'm printing this thread out for Ms. Doub. We're getting engaged at Sox Park now, I don't care what she says. :cool:

skobabe8
04-14-2008, 11:00 AM
That is very, very cool. Congrats to both of you!

I'm printing this thread out for Ms. Doub. We're getting engaged at Sox Park now, I don't care what she says. :cool:

LOL.

And if that doesnt work, I'll send you copies of the video and all of the pictures!

skottyj242
04-14-2008, 11:10 AM
We missed it but I heard about it from Paco on Saturday. Congrats guys.

hi im skot
04-14-2008, 12:16 PM
I was at the game Friday and thought you looked familiar; turns out I recognized you from the softball game last year.

Anyway, congratulations! Very cool story!

Scots-Sox
04-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Congratulations from Scotland. This is an amazing story good luck to you both and fair play to the White Sox.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Congrats. Well played out. Best of luck to you both.

spiffie
04-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Congrats! I wish I had thought of that! :D:

skobabe8
04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
I was at the game Friday and thought you looked familiar; turns out I recognized you from the softball game last year.

Anyway, congratulations! Very cool story!

Yeah skot, you know my arm from the softball game so its a good thing I didnt throw the pitch. :tongue:

Anyway, I have some more pictures:

The actual proposal. WGN is in the background. Liz's reaction was "Holy ****!"

This is a few seconds later:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/data/6/Sox_Game_002.JPG

Frankie5Angels
04-14-2008, 02:56 PM
That is so cool. Congrats. I wish you guys the best of luck.

hi im skot
04-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah skot, you know my arm from the softball game so its a good thing I didnt throw the pitch. :tongue:

I'm in no shape to criticize anyone's skills after my "performance!"

That kid in the grey coat is far from impressed... :tongue:

tony1972
04-14-2008, 03:27 PM
That is pretty nice...Congratulations...

ChiSoxGirl
04-14-2008, 09:50 PM

I must've just missed this. :(: You're standing in about the same area that I was, but as soon as the monument was unveiled and it seemed that the festivities were over, I made a bee line to the Bullpen Bar to warm up and get some grub.

soxlady8
04-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Congratulations !!!! :)
That is super awesome !!!

alohafri
04-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Congratulations!

alohafri
04-15-2008, 08:16 AM

Jackie Bange looks happy for you! :)

white sox bill
04-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Although I'm not the marrying type...why buy when you can rent, however by all means

:bandance:Congrats!! Hope you have many happy yrs ahead!

Ava83
04-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Congrats! I saw the back of your beloved's new jersey before the game.

What a great way to propose!

gamblinkenny
04-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Another Festivus miracle!

skobabe8
04-15-2008, 09:42 AM
I must've just missed this. :(: You're standing in about the same area that I was, but as soon as the monument was unveiled and it seemed that the festivities were over, I made a bee line to the Bullpen Bar to warm up and get some grub.

You must have. I didnt see you either, and we were with our family in the BPSB the entire game! :o:

DumpJerry saw us in there.

CRAW
04-15-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm just now getting to this thread... WOW! Well done man!!! Congrats and best wishes!!!

GO SOX!!!

BeefyD
04-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Have you tried contacting WGN to get a copy of the tape???

skobabe8
04-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Have you tried contacting WGN to get a copy of the tape???

I tried WGN and Comcast and they both sent me the same automated response that they do not sell or distribute any material. Losers.

But supposedly a couple of family members have tapes of each, and Chisoxmike says he has the WGN stuff.

manders_01
04-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Congrats to you both! :gulp:

Although most women I know wouldn't be thrilled to be proposed to at a sporting event, I'm totally jealous! I only hope when (if) I ever get engaged, my boyfriend has the sense to propose at a Bears or Sox game! :D:

skobabe8
04-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Congrats to you both! :gulp:

Although most women I know wouldn't be thrilled to be proposed to at a sporting event, I'm totally jealous! I only hope when (if) I ever get engaged, my boyfriend has the sense to propose at a Bears or Sox game! :D:

To be honest, I didnt think I wanted to do it at a sporting event. And if I did, I definately did not want to do the "scoreboard proposal during the game" thing since its been done. I figured a legacy brick symbolizes forever, it wasnt actually a part of the game, and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

manders_01
04-15-2008, 05:11 PM
To be honest, I didnt think I wanted to do it at a sporting event. And if I did, I definately did not want to do the "scoreboard proposal during the game" thing since its been done. I figured a legacy brick symbolizes forever, it wasnt actually a part of the game, and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I think the brick usage was very clever. And like you said, very unique. It's going to be a very long time before that brick doesn't exist anymore.

Believe me, the next time I'm at The Cell, I'm going to be scoping out that brick and letting everyone I'm with know that "I know that guy". :D:

Sox
04-15-2008, 08:03 PM
That is the most awesome thrill of a lifetime. Congrats to you both on the forthcoming nuptials and for having a truly amazing White Sox moment and an amazing MLB experience.:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance ::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance :