PDA

View Full Version : What you talking about Willis on the 15 day DL

eastchicagosoxfan
04-12-2008, 05:17 PM
The Tigers have placed Dontrelle Willis on the 15 day DL with a hyperextension. Are the Tigers deep with starting pitchers in the minors?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ApARYnoU6OT9BLCyIS3cwzSFCLcF?slug=ap-tigers-willisdl&prov=ap&type=lgns

Sockinchisox
04-12-2008, 05:23 PM
The Tigers have placed Dontrelle Willis on the 15 day DL with a hyperextension. Are the Tigers deep with starting pitchers in the minors?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ApARYnoU6OT9BLCyIS3cwzSFCLcF?slug=ap-tigers-willisdl&prov=ap&type=lgns

The only 2 starting pitchers that I know of worth anything is Jordan Tata and Virgil Vasquez. I'd be stunned if they brought up Porcello, but they might be desperate enough.

Vernam
04-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Nice investment in Dontrelle by the Tigers, though that fluke injury last night was unfortunate. I was impressed by how he fought to stay in the game, too.

It's too easy to second-guess Dombrowski now for what everyone thought was the best off-season of any GM, but what a strange sport when a team that's the consensus pre-season pick can melt down so quickly.

Vernam

jabrch
04-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Are the Tigers deep with starting pitchers in the minors?

As far as guys ready, right now...

not so much

They gave up Miller and Jurrjens this offseason.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-12-2008, 05:46 PM
The poor start is now compounded by Willis's injury, and I know I'm not the only one who is skeptical of 44 year old Kenny Rogers. The rotation could really unravel before April ends. The team is built to win now, and Dombrowski could easily find himself trading away more of the farm to get some pitching.

TDog
04-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Nice investment in Dontrelle by the Tigers, though that fluke injury last night was unfortunate. I was impressed by how he fought to stay in the game, too.

It's too easy to second-guess Dombrowski now for what everyone thought was the best off-season of any GM, but what a strange sport when a team that's the consensus pre-season pick can melt down so quickly.

Vernam

Your use of the word "everyone" is something of an exaggeration. I haven't been surprised by the poor start of Willis or Cabrera or the Tigers, and my posts in March reflect that.

I expected bad pitching out of Willis this year. A "fluke" injury could limit the damage he could cause. But it will do more to expose the bullpen.

EndemicSox
04-12-2008, 08:43 PM
I liked watching Willis pitch/hit when he first came up, but his arm is all but shot. It appears as though he is throwing frisbees. That contract will go down as one of the worst in baseball history...

Vernam
04-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Your use of the word "everyone" is something of an exaggeration. I haven't been surprised by the poor start of Willis or Cabrera or the Tigers, and my posts in March reflect that.Thanks for pointing out that there wasn't 100 percent unanimity. :rolleyes: OK, let me be more precise. Everyone = the media experts and the pants pissers who didn't give us any chance coming into the season because of what Detroit did in the off-season.

I expected bad pitching out of Willis this year. A "fluke" injury could limit the damage he could cause. But it will do more to expose the bullpen.Obviously, you weren't alone in believing Willis was a bad pickup (which the teal in my original post did more than imply). For them to accept him from Florida as a requirement of the Cabrera trade was defensible, but then re-signing him was downright silly. Still, none of that dimmed the certainty that "everyone" expressed about the Tigers' 2008 season. Obviously, it wasn't a perfect consensus. But pretty damn close, especially among the press.

Vernam

TDog
04-12-2008, 09:32 PM
... Obviously, it wasn't a perfect consensus. But pretty damn close, especially among the press. ...

Those are the people who have been saying the Cubs are going to the 2008 World Series. I am never surprised when they're wrong.