PDA

View Full Version : So far (to me)..Floyd has been the biggest surprise this year

tony1972
04-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Toss up between him and Quentin...but at least in two outings..Floyd looks good....

chisoxmike
Let's see what happens when he doesn't face the Tigers.

JermaineDye05
He's been very good, however I'd like to see how he does against a team he doesn't own.

tony1972
04-12-2008, 03:35 PM

:mad:Pessimist!

LoveYourSuit
04-12-2008, 03:38 PM
I think with the huge question marks that are Danks and Contreras, 14+ innings from your 5th starter in 2 starts is a pleasant surprise.

WhiteSox5187
04-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Exactly, for some reason he just owns the Tigers. But, ya know what? Tigers are a pretty good hitting team (not right now though). I'm curious to see what he'll do in his next start. I don't think he's going to keep pitching like this, but if he just pitches half this good for the rest of the year, our concerns about the rotation may be ill founded.

Stringer
04-12-2008, 03:39 PM

yup

turners56
04-12-2008, 03:42 PM

I agree, a team that's struggling and has a record of 2-9 is not the model of a great team. On top of that, Floyd is Detroit's kryptonite. Personally I was more impressed by Danks' start against Cleveland than Floyd's start today.

Navarro's Talent
04-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah, he's been great so far. Let's hope it continues. There are times where he seems to lose his confidence, so let's how he handles the next few outings.

JB98
04-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Toss up between him and Quentin...but at least in two outings..Floyd looks good....

Floyd has been the biggest surprise. I never imagined he would take a no-hitter into the eighth inning. All three pitches working today. Really good effort.

Quentin has been better than expected too, but I'm not as surprised by him. He has gotten some timely hits for the Sox. It seems like he always puts a good swing on the ball in RBI situations. As long as he continues to do that, the results will take care of themselves.

oeo
04-12-2008, 03:46 PM

I know he pitches great against the Tigers, but since September of last year, he's pitched great, period. Now, I'll hear the same crap Javy gets...'no pressure,' but there's always pressure.

Is it possible that a guy with high expectations is turning it around?

I'm not a big fan of the walks, but I've got a good feeling about Floyd this year.

Tragg
04-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Floyd's statistics were skewed last year by three of his first 5 outings. Overall he had around 5 horrible outings.
Otherwise, he was okay.
I don't know what he looks like this year, but the results are obviously good.

Jjav829
04-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Floyd's certainly looked good the first two outings, especially today.

But yes, I want to see what happens when he faces a team other than the struggling Tigers.

It's a small sample size, but the early results are encouraging. We'll see what happens as the season goes on.

scarsofthumper
04-12-2008, 03:54 PM
It's looking like his next start will be against Baltimore next Thursday.

JB98
04-12-2008, 03:54 PM
I know he pitches great against the Tigers, but since September of last year, he's pitched great, period. Now, I'll hear the same crap Javy gets...'no pressure,' but there's always pressure.

I'm not a big fan of the walks, but I've got a good feeling about Floyd this year.

I think today was an example of pitching under pressure. It's very difficult to hold a 1-0 lead, knowing your mound opponent is a legit ace, knowing you aren't likely to get much run support. Floyd handled himself nicely. He had some 3-2 counts to good hitters where he made quality pitches, a change to get Jones, a breaking ball to punch out Ordonez, etc.

I've been critical of Floyd in the past, but part of the reason for that is I expect big things from him. Look at the quality pitches he has. I would hate to see him waste his talent by not being strong mentally.

Corlose 15
04-12-2008, 03:57 PM

Exactly. He had good starts in there against both the Indians and Kansas City as well as the Tigers. Plus a decent start against the Twins. The problem was he got no run support and didn't pick up any wins.

Couple his strong finish last season with his talk about finally feeling comfortable on the mound and believing in his stuff and his good 2 starts this season, and there is reason to be optimistic.

I think you've got a player who never really struggled until he got up to the Phillies and then didn't really know how to deal with failure. It seems like he's finally figuring it out.

Thome_Fan
04-12-2008, 04:01 PM
I think today was an example of pitching under pressure. It's very difficult to hold a 1-0 lead, knowing your mound opponent is a legit ace, knowing you aren't likely to get much run support. Floyd handled himself nicely. He had some 3-2 counts to good hitters where he made quality pitches, a change to get Jones, a breaking ball to punch out Ordonez, etc.

I've been critical of Floyd in the past, but part of the reason for that is I expect big things from him. Look at the quality pitches he has. I would hate to see him waste his talent by not being strong mentally.

That backdoor curveball for the punchout was a thing of beauty. My jaw hit the floor. Tip of the hat to Gavin today.

Soxman219
04-12-2008, 05:18 PM
I too want to see how he pitches against another team besides the Tigers. That being said, the Tigers are still a good hitting team who are starting slow. We'll see but let's hope he does good.:smile:

Vernam
04-12-2008, 05:50 PM
This thread should have been titled "Gavin Floyd: The next John Garland?" :wink:

I'm just happy KW was desperate to dump salaries and got lucky to acquire Floyd for Garcia. And even if you're not thrilled because he included Gonzalez in the deal for Swisher, you'd have to be Phil Rogers not to admit those two trades (and oh yeah, McCarthy for Danks and Masset) are a major reason we're looking like a contender at this point. Maybe our GM isn't a chump after all, hmmm?

If Floyd just holds down the fifth slot all year, we should count our blessings. It's fairly amazing that he's showing signs of being more.

Vernam

sullythered
04-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Where's munchman?

btrain929
04-13-2008, 12:08 AM

It's not like he's doing it against the Royals or Oakland....

btrain929
04-13-2008, 12:10 AM

Oh yeah, in the rain too.....

Tragg
04-13-2008, 12:59 AM
Floyd has a beautiful curve when it breaks. Does he have a sinker/splitter - some pitch that drops?

btrain929
04-13-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm watching Sportscenter now, and in their preview of the show, they say "A no-hit bid on the northside...."

What ****ing tools.....

WhiteSox5187
04-13-2008, 01:12 AM
This thread should have been titled "Gavin Floyd: The next John Garland?" :wink:

I'm just happy KW was desperate to dump salaries and got lucky to acquire Floyd for Garcia. And even if you're not thrilled because he included Gonzalez in the deal for Swisher, you'd have to be Phil Rogers not to admit those two trades (and oh yeah, McCarthy for Danks and Masset) are a major reason we're looking like a contender at this point. Maybe our GM isn't a chump after all, hmmm?

If Floyd just holds down the fifth slot all year, we should count our blessings. It's fairly amazing that he's showing signs of being more.

Vernam
I'm excited too, but it's April. Right now we're chasing KC for the best record in the AL Central and Baltimore has the best record in all of baseball...Floyd has looked good, but let's not go nuts. EVERYONE is a contender at this point.

Tragg
04-13-2008, 01:17 AM

Vernam
We need more than just 5th starter fodder - because if we can pitch, we have a good shot at getting into the playoffs.
It's pretty clear our O is going to be pretty good...improved performances by some guys who had bad years plus the addition of 2 legitimate hitters (Swisher and Quentin) replacing 2 bad hitters should see to that.
But our starting pitching is thin thin.

jabrch
His stuff has always been awesome. He's just never had it together enough to be effective. Seeing him set hitters up, use the curve, and spot his fastball was pretty cool. And slumping or not, this was still done against Sheff, Maggs, Cabrera, etc.

Very good to see!!!!

Now lets close it out and win the series tomorrow.

chisoxfanatic
Baltimore has the best record in all of baseball.

No, they don't. Arizona currently sits at 9-2. So far, I'm liking what I've seen from Floyd and Linebrink. It's so nice not to have to worry about a Bukvich or Aardsma trotting out there every few days.

Tragg
04-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Arizona currently sits at 9-2. So far, I'm liking what I've seen from Floyd and Linebrink. It's so nice not to have to worry about a Bukvich or Aardsma trotting out there every few days.
I didn't appreciate these upgrades until they actually start pitching. But we still have MacDougal to play the Bukvich role. I'm hoping his ERA stays deceptively low and we can get something for him in a July trade (when middle relievers go for seriously inflated prices). Then just bring Wasserman up.

oeo
04-13-2008, 10:39 AM
His stuff has always been awesome. He's just never had it together enough to be effective. Seeing him set hitters up, use the curve, and spot his fastball was pretty cool. And slumping or not, this was still done against Sheff, Maggs, Cabrera, etc.

And regardless...if he has that curve working and is able to throw it for a strike, he's going to shut down a team that's hot.

He still has to work on the consistency of that pitch. If you want to look for the silver lining: at least it always comes up and in, and not rolling over the plate.

jabrch
04-13-2008, 11:31 AM
And regardless...if he has that curve working and is able to throw it for a strike, he's going to shut down a team that's hot.

He still has to work on the consistency of that pitch. If you want to look for the silver lining: at least it always comes up and in, and not rolling over the plate.

And given that curveballers throw it better when they have a good grip, he may have upside if there is no rain outside. I'm sure gripping that ball wasn't easy.

champagne030
04-13-2008, 01:41 PM

That's the key. His only plus pitch is the curve. He tends to get behind it and then it's a 'roll over, get it over the plate pitch'. His curve is a ++ pitch when he stays on top of it, but the rest of his stuff is for show.

Jurr
04-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Gavin Floyd reminds me of Jon Garland in his makeup. Floyd came into the league with big expectations, but didn't have the belief in his stuff enough to go after hitters. Garland was the same way, nibbling incessantly.

Garland ended up becoming a solid starter, and though the sample size is small, Floyd is looking like he's beginning to believe in his talent enough to control the action instead of letting it control him.

SBSoxFan
04-13-2008, 09:45 PM
The biggest surprise to me so far has been the offense. Where did all these guys learn to walk? It's not just Swisher. The whole team, even Uribe, is drawing a lot of walks and seeing tons of pitches. :D:

gogosox16
04-13-2008, 10:42 PM
The biggest surprise to me so far has been the offense. Where did all these guys learn to walk? It's not just Swisher. The whole team, even Uribe, is drawing a lot of walks and seeing tons of pitches. :D:
Now for Uribe these are his probabilities now:

12% hit a homer
12% get a walk
6% get out
70% get out via strike out
:bandance: we are set for 2nd basemen.....sign him long term:smile:

doublem23
04-13-2008, 10:44 PM

I thought the Tigers were supposed to blow us away. :scratch:

munchman33
04-13-2008, 11:26 PM
I thought the Tigers were supposed to blow us away. :scratch:

We always play the Tigers well. Nothing that's happened to us this season as of yet has been terribly surprising or enlightening.

Still, Gavin has given me pause. Not because of his results, but because of how completely unstoppable he looked in his last start.

doublem23
04-14-2008, 12:06 AM
We always play the Tigers well. Nothing that's happened to us this season as of yet has been terribly surprising or enlightening.

Nice save. Boy, do I remember more than thread around here in January whining about how there was no way the Sox would be able to hang with the Tigers.

:rolleyes:

thomas35forever
04-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Floyd has definitely been a surprise. I pray he keeps this trend up year round. If he does, we won't be easy to beat.

hawkjt
04-14-2008, 01:52 AM
I was impressed with his ability to hang in with the wet mound and rain. Getting into the 8th on a day like that is a bonus. Like Garland was his first few years I suspect he will still be erratic this year but if he could somehow win ten more games to match Garland's 12 win seasons before he broke out..well that would work just fine for the sox. If he can throw that curve for strikes.. he will be ok.

soxinem1
04-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Several suprises:

The Sox have only given up four HR's all year so far. With the fly-ball pitchers we have, I'm sure this will change a bit, but so far, it means they are keeping the ball down.

Jenks has only one K.

Sox lead the league in OBP, SLG, runs, and are barely hitting .250. But I love those late inning and two out runs!!!

If Floyd is 9-4 at the break and seven of those wins are not against DET, then he will be an individual suprise.

munchman33
04-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Nice save. Boy, do I remember more than thread around here in January whining about how there was no way the Sox would be able to hang with the Tigers.

:rolleyes:

Hanging with the Tigers over the course of a season and playing them head to head are completely different.

We played the Tigers very well last year. We didn't come close to hanging with them the whole season.

It's been two weeks. We look good, but let's not get carried away. We haven't seen the last of the Tigers.

doublem23
04-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Hanging with the Tigers over the course of a season and playing them head to head are completely different.

We played the Tigers very well last year. We didn't come close to hanging with them the whole season.

It's been two weeks. We look good, but let's not get carried away. We haven't seen the last of the Tigers.

I would just like some people to admit that Gavin Floyd is off to a nice little start wthout trying to save face.

The Tigers aren't invincible and we don't completely suck ass. Is that so hard to admit? :gah:

Jurr
04-14-2008, 12:03 PM
I would just like some people to admit that Gavin Floyd is off to a nice little start wthout trying to save face.

The Tigers aren't invincible and we don't completely suck ass. Is that so hard to admit? :gah:
I totally agree. For the people that have been on WSI long enough to remember, there was a majority of people that HATED Rowand and Joe Crede, not to mention the million "Judy" Garland references. Once the players began to produce consistently, the opinions changed.

It's totally okay to admit that you're wrong about your initial evaluation of a player. We all grow in whatever profession we choose. We get faster, more accurate, and more efficient whether we plan weddings, fix cars, write programs, or treat patients. The same goes for ball players.

soxfan21
04-14-2008, 01:15 PM
If he keeps pitching the way that he did on Saturday, I think that he will have a great year. He has surprised me a lot this year and hopefully he keeps it up. I was a little worried about him and the way that he was pitching in the spring, but it looks like he has really turned it on. We will have to see what happens when he pitches against better teams though.