Jjav829
04-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Hell of a game by Gavin Floyd! :bandance::bandance:

Sockinchisox
04-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Sox win 7-0.

Thome_Fan
I hear that! I felt so bad for him, he looked like he was going to cry. He was so close he could taste it. :whiner:

downstairs
Danks and Gavin looking pretty damn good. Keep this up and we'll absolutely be in it until the end...

oeo
Not bad when your #5 duels with one of the best in the league.

:bandance:

PeteWard
Nice day in Chicago:bandance:

NDSox12
04-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Hats off to Gavin! Nice to continue the trend of knocking Verlander around, even though it took all game to finally do it.

eastchicagosoxfan
:winner

Navarro's Talent
Go, Gavin! That was an all-around great game to watch. It's too bad Gav couldn't get the no-no, but he was great.

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

eastchicagosoxfan

Good point.

IlliniSox4Life
Who's the PTC going to be?

Dan Mega
04-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Floyd looked shaky at first with a few walks but settled down and got nasty. Hopefully he is no longer a headcase and can will get business done from here on out.

HomeFish
I don't really have any explanation for what happened today. Hats off to Floyd for a hell of a game.

(But remember, even McCarthy had one good game)

SoxandtheCityTee
Tee-hee, the Tigger fans must be in a mood. :bandance:

Stringer
Any way he can make all his starts against the Tigers??

:D:

Thome_Fan
04-12-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't really have any explanation for what happened today. Hats off to Floyd for a hell of a game.

Can't even let one end on a positive note, can you?

Dan Mega

:rolleyes:

JermaineDye05
Great game for Gavin! I'd love to see him cut down on the walks though.

Corlose 15
Gavin Floyd owning the Tigers and the Sox owning Justin Verlander has to make you feel pretty good about Sox Tigers matchups this year.

Awesome game.

Floyd is 2-0 with a 2.02 ERA. I'll definitely take that.

BadBobbyJenks
04-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Gavin owns Detroit.

Hey Munchman that curve looked fantastic today.

cheezheadsoxfan
Man, if Floyd can keep this up things are looking good. Nice to see the bats wakeup a little too. AJ's just outstanding right now.:bandance:

Woofer
Tee-hee, the Tigger fans must be in a mood. :bandance:
They should feel glad that they got one of their 2 wins off of us!:cool:

Navarro's Talent

Be happy, HomeFish. They won. :bandance:

Dan Mega

Oh by the way, Floyd has had TWO good outings, not one as you so cherry picked.

WhiteSox5187
Just a great game by Floyd. Even though we scored seven runs, this was a pitcher's duel until the eighth with about two outs. Great game all around. Let's keep it rolling for tommorrow!

Navarro's Talent
04-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Man, if Floyd can keep this up things are looking good. Nice to see the bats wakeup a little too. AJ's just outstanding right now.:bandance:
Yes, hats off to AJ as well for continuing to tear the cover off the ball.

eastchicagosoxfan

Dude?
:scratch:

turners56
For a couple of innings, I thought the Sox were gonna go into a huge hitting slump, having only 6 hits in the previous 16.1 innings, that 8th inning was incredibly important in giving me the confidence that this team's hitting wasn't going into a black hole. Let's win the series tomorrow :). Great game by Floyd btw, if only he always pitched against Detroit...

JB98
04-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Floyd has always been a guy whose results haven't matched his great talent. Hopefully, that is starting to change. Hopefully, we are witnessing the maturation of this 25-year-old pitcher. The Sox sure need the back of the rotation to step up this season. These first two outings by Floyd have been strong.

How good is Pierzynski looking at the plate right now? That swing looks better now than it did at any point last season. Huge base hit to break open the game off Verlander in the eighth.

Thumbs up to all the Sox fans who went to the Cell and braved the elements out there today. I'm glad the team rewarded you with a victory. I'll be at the Cell tomorrow, even if it is snowing.

Go Sox!

TheOldRoman
04-12-2008, 03:39 PM

:bandance:Yeah, but Floyd looked like a deer in the headlights the whole time. He looked really uncomfortable, like he didn't want to be there.

Great game by Gavin. It might have been the best thing for him at that point to give up the hit. I was having nightmares of Ozzie leaving him in until 130 pitches, after two walks in the 9th, in a 1 run game because he still had no hits. Gavin threw over 100, so he had to come out. It was great to see Linebrink close out the 8th, and the offense blow it open.

Was anyone else get scared seeing Jock Jones batting in the 8th? We all remember the last time he batted in that situation against the Sox.:angry:

goon
04-12-2008, 03:41 PM

Scouts in Arizona disagree!

Stringer
04-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Floyd is 2-0 with a 2.02 ERA. I'll definitely take that.

Sir, you just made my day

:cool:

johnr1note
04-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Gavin deserves a lot of credit today. He started off rough and settled down, getting sharper as the game went on. Verlander actually pitched a heck of a game, losing control in the 8th.

It just does my heart good to see Floyd show some moxie. Keep it up!

gogosox16
04-12-2008, 03:43 PM
that was a hell of a game, too bad I couldn't watch it....Well I am going to be enjoying myself tonight in Colorado for the National Championship for hockey....Go Notre Dame

beckett21
04-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Maybe Kenny was right all along.

Who knew? :redneck

I like what I'm seeing out of the club so far this year. It's still early, but things look a whole lot better than last year.

Frontman
Great job by Floyd. Hopefully, he proves us all wrong and keeps this going, settling into the Sox rotation for years to come.

Great small ball play out of the Sox.

And finger of shame to Ivan Rodriguez for trying to sell that hit off of Cabrerra's helmet as it being off the bat. That was too close to a dangerous hit for him to worry about a runner.

BadBobbyJenks
Gavin is on Comcast now

TheOldRoman
04-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Floyd has always been a guy whose results haven't matched his great talent. Hopefully, that is starting to change. Hopefully, we are witnessing the maturation of this 25-year-old pitcher. The Sox sure need the back of the rotation to step up this season. These first two outings by Floyd have been strong.

How good is Pierzynski looking at the plate right now? That swing looks better now than it did at any point last season. Huge base hit to break open the game off Verlander in the eighth.

Thumbs up to all the Sox fans who went to the Cell and braved the elements out there today. I'm glad the team rewarded you with a victory. I'll be at the Cell tomorrow, even if it is snowing.

Go Sox!What are you talking about? 25 years old is no longer a prospect, and he won't get any better. He is a bust.

I think the fans will treat Gavin the same way they treated Garland. Many will have no patience, not recognize how much he improves as a pitcher, and every time he gets hit come out screaming insults and saying how he is so horrible. The difference is, with Garland there were a whole bunch of people who great overrated him. BTW, I am not saying Floyd will be as good as Garland. I just think there is a group of people who will call Floyd trash no matter what he does from here on out.

As you said, props to the fans who attended. I will probably get flamed for this, but the park 1/2 empty looked a lot better with green seats than blue ones. The empty blue seats just stood out so much more than the green ones.

Thome_Fan
lol, Gavin is being interviewed in post game and says he didn't realize he was pitching a no-hitter until the fifth and some fan yelled it at him. He goes, "Oh, thanks."

cheezheadsoxfan
Great job by Floyd. Hopefully, he proves us all wrong and keeps this going, settling into the Sox rotation for years to come.

And finger of shame to Ivan Rodriguez for trying to sell that hit off of Cabrerra's helmet as it being off the bat. That was too close to a dangerous hit for him to worry about a runner.

Ivan Rodriguez is a **** weasel.:mad:

WhiteSox5187
that was a hell of a game, too bad I couldn't watch it....Well I am going to be enjoying myself tonight in Colorado for the National Championship for hockey....Go Notre Dame
WOO! WE ARE...ND!

Floyd looked great and I think Ozzie did a good job of getting him out of there as soon as he gave up that hit. And good job by Linebrink to get the DP the next batter. But I'm really curious to see how Floyd will look against someone else besides Detroit. He just gives Detroit fits, and I don't know why.

mealfred13
04-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Awesome performance by Gavin. I've had good feelings about him since seeing him pitch last year. Those breaking balls are going to do a lot for him.

It was also see the guys batting around in the 8th, with nothing but good at-bats to draw walks and shots in the gaps.

Swisher and Quentin are continuing to impress the hell out of me on both sides of the ball, as well. I think we're pretty well set for the outfield in the coming years with those guys roaming around.

TheOldRoman
04-12-2008, 03:47 PM
The piece of **** of the game is, not surprisingly, Ivan ROIDriguez. After Cabrera got hit in the head, he screamed and jumped up and down like a money injected with HGH, claiming it hit the bat. True class.

Frontman
04-12-2008, 03:49 PM
The piece of **** of the game is, not surprisingly, Ivan Roidriguez. After Cabrera got hit in the head, he screamed and jumped up and down like a money injected with HGH, claiming it hit the bat. True class.

And they say AJ is the most hated behind the plate.......

Jjav829
04-12-2008, 03:55 PM
What are you talking about? 25 years old is no longer a prospect, and he won't get any better. He is a bust.

I think the fans will treat Gavin the same way they treated Garland. Many will have no patience, not recognize how much he improves as a pitcher, and every time he gets hit come out screaming insults and saying how he is so horrible. The difference is, with Garland there were a whole bunch of people who great overrated him. BTW, I am not saying Floyd will be as good as Garland. I just think there is a group of people who will call Floyd trash no matter what he does from here on out.

As you said, props to the fans who attended. I will probably get flamed for this, but the park 1/2 empty looked a lot better with green seats than blue ones. The empty blue seats just stood out so much more than the green ones.

I don't think that's a good comparison. Garland was a guy who we got early on in his career. He was built up as a future Kevin Brown type of pitcher. He made his MLB debut for us at the ago of 20. At the age of 21 Garland had a 3.69 ERA. Then it went downhill a bit, but at the age of 25 Garland won 18 games and put up a 3.5 ERA for a World Series champion.

Floyd, on the other hand, was a bust for one organization. He's bounced back and forth between the minors and big leagues and had his share of struggles at each level. However, the jury is still out on him, and he can still be a decent major league pitcher.

scarsofthumper
04-12-2008, 03:56 PM
The piece of **** of the game is, not surprisingly, Ivan ROIDriguez. After Cabrera got hit in the head, he screamed and jumped up and down like a money injected with HGH, claiming it hit the bat. True class.To be fair, from Ivan's angle it could very well have looked like to him that it hit the bat, but with the sound it made, he should have known it actually plunked his helmet.

CHISOXFAN13
04-12-2008, 03:58 PM

Couldn't agree more on all accounts.

I hope Vazquez was watching Rodriguez' bull**** antics.

munchman33
04-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Gavin owns Detroit.

It sure did. That's the best I've seen him throw the curve since he put on our uniform.

Brian26
04-12-2008, 04:03 PM
For a couple of innings, I thought the Sox were gonna go into a huge hitting slump, having only 6 hits in the previous 16.1 innings, that 8th inning was incredibly important in giving me the confidence that this team's hitting wasn't going into a black hole. Let's win the series tomorrow . Great game by Floyd btw, if only he always pitched against Detroit...

I'm more happy and impressed with Gavin's performance today than what the offense did in the 8th inning off a tired Verlander. I thought Leyland probably left Verlander in there a little too long (maybe because the bullpen was used so much yesterday). Anyway, it was a great game by Floyd and his first two starts were very promising. Keep it going!

DeadMoney
04-12-2008, 04:04 PM
That's the best I've seen him throw the curve since he put on our uniform.

Without a doubt. That curve had more bite/life to it than I've ever seen it have.

Great game by Floyd, solid performance by the offense in one inning. Enough for what ends up being a big win.

October26
04-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Kudos to Gavin Floyd on pitching GREAT today. Wow! We finally got to see the "great stuff" from Floyd that Ozzie and Coop have been talking about the last two years. :bandance:I'm very happy to see Floyd pitching like this!:bandance:And nice to see the Sox hitting again. :D:

Brian26
04-12-2008, 04:06 PM
To be fair, from Ivan's angle it could very well have looked like to him that it hit the bat, but with the sound it made, he should have known it actually plunked his helmet.

I-Roid tries to use every trick in the book to get an advantage. I don't like it, but there's a certain part of it that I respect. He's also infamous for walking out to the mound everytime his pitcher has two strikes on a batter in a big situation.

soxfanreggie
04-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Great game for Gavin. If him and Danks pan out in the 4 and 5 spots, watch out for this team. No matter what happens, both are showing some good material for the future.

He threw the curve great today and it's something, should he have good command of it like he did today, he will pitch some great games.

If Swish wouldn't mind a move to 1st, we could get away without re-signing Thome (unless he's willing to give a deep, deep discount to stay) and put PK primarily to DH and switch them up sometimes to give the other rest. Then, Quentin sees more time in the OF. If he stays healthy, he's going to be a solid player.

Brian26
04-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Maybe Kenny was right all along.

Who knew? :redneck

I like what I'm seeing out of the club so far this year. It's still early, but things look a whole lot better than last year.

Yep. That Freddy for Gavin trade looks better and better, and we even got a piece from the Phillies that helped bring Swisher over here too.

JB98
04-12-2008, 04:10 PM
I-Roid tries to use every trick in the book to get an advantage. I don't like it, but there's a certain part of it that I respect. He's also infamous for walking out to the mound everytime his pitcher has two strikes on a batter in a big situation.

I agree with that. I-Roid is an ass, but I doubt he really cares what we think. He's trying to get the edge for his team.

itsnotrequired
04-12-2008, 04:11 PM
It was rainy today.

IlliniSox4Life
04-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Great game for Gavin. If him and Danks pan out in the 4 and 5 spots, watch out for this team. No matter what happens, both are showing some good material for the future.

He threw the curve great today and it's something, should he have good command of it like he did today, he will pitch some great games.

If Swish wouldn't mind a move to 1st, we could get away without re-signing Thome (unless he's willing to give a deep, deep discount to stay) and put PK primarily to DH and switch them up sometimes to give the other rest. Then, Quentin sees more time in the OF. If he stays healthy, he's going to be a solid player.

You could also probably move Dye to 1B or DH.

BadBobbyJenks
04-12-2008, 04:13 PM
It was rainy today.

Thanks.

itsnotrequired
04-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks.

You're welcome.

chisoxfanatic
It was nice to have a nice, warm seat to watch that game today. My front room hasn't felt so great when it's that horrible out!

I give Gavin a ton of credit for being able to pitch ballsy even through those adverse weather conditions. If we can get consistent pitching from him this season, it's gonna truly help. I know he's just faced a weak Tiger lineup; but, could it also be possible that their lineup's not hitting due to facing pitching that's just better?

I'm liking the stuff we're seeing from the mid-to-lower portion of the lineup. Now, 1-4 has to get it going. And, hopefully Ozzie doesn't put too many of last night's lineups out there. May last night serve as a lesson.

CashMan

Jose didn't pitch today.

TDog
04-12-2008, 04:16 PM
I just had a flashback to 1984. It was cold April Saturday afternoon in Chicago with the nation expecting the White Sox to be the best in the AL West and possibly the league. And Jack Morris pitched a no-hitter to keep beat the Sox. There would be no busting out of the surprising early season slump on this day.

The White Sox won't go 35-5 to begin the 2008 season. In fact, the Tigers got two hits today. This was a great win for the Sox, but it's the Tigers dismal start I thought of today.

I also recalled that 1984 was supposed to be the year for the Sox, and instead it was the year when the Cubs surprised people by having one of the best seasons they have had in the lifetime of any current Cubs fan.

Actually, I think the White Sox could be on their way to a pretty good season.

LoveYourSuit
04-12-2008, 04:17 PM
It was rainy today.

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

NardiWasHere
04-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Great game. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. I do think IRod is being unfairly criticized, though. When he was pointing at the bat, he wasn't saying that the ball hit it.. he was just asking the ump if he could inject into his ass.

By the way... I don't know if there is a thread on this already, but how does the Ranger sound as the pbp guy on radio?

LoveYourSuit
04-12-2008, 04:25 PM
I don't know if there is a thread on this already, but how does the Ranger sound as the pbp guy on radio?

Good voice but horrible play by play skills. Doesn't let Stoney talk.

But he was thrown to the wolves without notice.

MarySwiss
04-12-2008, 04:27 PM
The piece of **** of the game is, not surprisingly, Ivan ROIDriguez. After Cabrera got hit in the head, he screamed and jumped up and down like a money injected with HGH, claiming it hit the bat. True class.

And they say AJ is the most hated behind the plate.......

Well, I'm sure AJ IS the most hated, but IMO, that's because he's an "in-your-face" kind of guy instead of being a sneaky little weasel like Rodriguez. Jorge Posada is another one of those catchers who do the whole "who me? I'm a nice guy" routine to death. With AJ, you know what you're getting. And I like it!

cws05champ
04-12-2008, 04:35 PM
didn't get to see the game today down here in FL. I read on here that Floyd's curve was nasty today. How was the FB, and location? Also how was his demeanor. Floyd has pitched both games that I have been unable to see because of blackouts. Any summary would be helpful....thanks.

Brian26
04-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Good voice but horrible play by play skills. Doesn't let Stoney talk.

But he was thrown to the wolves without notice.

Rongey's doing a good job on play-by-play and is still light-years ahead of Singleton.

The only flaw I heard was that he's still getting used to recognizing balls and strikes before the umpire calls them, so sometimes there's a slight pause while he waits for the ump to put up his arm or for the board to change. I noticed the same thing with foul ball pop-ups down the line, whereas a guy like Farmer from his years of experience can immediately recognize a ball that's going into the stands, it takes Rongey an extra second or two to identify if it's catchable. I'm sure Chris would be the first one to admit that he would get much better with these with a little more experience in the booth.

Gammons Peter
04-12-2008, 04:50 PM
worst play by play ever. .......full count on Uribe, here's the pitch, and thats inside.....but Juan swung and missed badly.

*** is that?

October26
04-12-2008, 05:00 PM
didn't get to see the game today down here in FL. I read on here that Floyd's curve was nasty today. How was the FB, and location? Also how was his demeanor. Floyd has pitched both games that I have been unable to see because of blackouts. Any summary would be helpful....thanks.

I saw the whole game today and Floyd was dealing. The curve ball was nasty but what impressed me was Floyd's pinpoint control. I had the misfortune of being at the game that Floyd pitched against the Twins last July where Floyd gave up a ton of runs. This was a totally different Gavin Floyd today. Gone is the "deer in the headlights" look. Floyd was consistently ahead of the count to most Tigers hitters and of course took his no-hitter into the 8th. I think Floyd had full control of all of his pitches today, including the fastball, which is amazing to me given the weather in Chicago today (39 degrees and raining). As others have said, this was a fantastic outing by Gavin Floyd.

itsnotrequired
04-12-2008, 05:02 PM
I saw the whole game today and Floyd was dealing. The curve ball was nasty but what impressed me was Floyd's pinpoint control. I had the misfortune of being at the game that Floyd pitched against the Twins last July where Floyd gave up a ton of runs. This was a totally different Gavin Floyd today. Gone is the "deer in the headlights look." Floyd was consistently ahead of the count to most Tigers hitters today and of course took his no-hitter into the 8th. I think Floyd had full control of all of his pitches today, including the fastball, which is amazing to me given the weather in Chicago today (39 degrees and raining). As others have said, this was a fantastic outing by Gavin Floyd today.

Full control? Does that explain all the walks and pitches into the dirt?

Soxman219
04-12-2008, 05:02 PM

Go Sox!

I was there:bandance:!!! I just came back from the game and I am pumped. Nice pitching today Gavin, you are now a certified Tiger Killer. I think that if the Sox scored a few runs before the 8th maybe he would stay longer. The stadium was jumpin' after the 6th. Let's get the series win tomorrow.:bandance:

Risk
04-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Good win even though weather was awful. Floyd pitched strong and induced a lot of ground balls. When I was watching the game with my dad and younger brother we could tell in the later innings when Floyd was getting Ks that the Tiger hitters (Jones and Ordonez) were sitting on the curve ball, and Floyd struck them out with good change-ups.

Verlander looked good today too, but I think Leyland kept him in too long. By the 8th he was having control problems and the Sox were on to him.

Awesome job by Floyd with some great D by both Quinten (sp?) and Swisher in the OF.

Go get em' tomorrow.:gulp:

Risk

October26
04-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Full control? Does that explain all the walks and pitches into the dirt?

Okay, well Floyd might have been a little nervous (after the 5th inning when he said realized that he had the no-hitter going) and the ball might have been a little wet. But I'll take all the walks and all of the pitches in the dirt from any of our pitchers as long as they give up 1 hit per 8 innings.:cool:

whitesoxfan
04-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Rongey wasn't that great, but that's not his role.

Floyd was awesome. Great win today, boys.

itsnotrequired
04-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Okay, well Floyd might have been a little nervous (after the 5th inning when he said realized that he had the no-hitter going) and the ball might have been a little wet. But I'll take all the walks and all of the pitches in the dirt from any of our pitchers as long as they give up 1 run per 8 innings.:cool:

Don't get me wrong, I loved the outcome but he was pretty wild.

TheOldRoman
04-12-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't think that's a good comparison. Garland was a guy who we got early on in his career. He was built up as a future Kevin Brown type of pitcher. He made his MLB debut for us at the ago of 20. At the age of 21 Garland had a 3.69 ERA. Then it went downhill a bit, but at the age of 25 Garland won 18 games and put up a 3.5 ERA for a World Series champion.

Floyd, on the other hand, was a bust for one organization. He's bounced back and forth between the minors and big leagues and had his share of struggles at each level. However, the jury is still out on him, and he can still be a decent major league pitcher.
I wasn't saying they are that similar as pitchers. I just think they will be treated the same way. There will be a group of people who are noticeably quiet when he does good, but come out screaming every time he gets hit around. I also think that there is nothing he will ever be able to do to earn the respect of some of our fanbase, much like Garland who was "a #4 at best" to some people on here. That is where the comparison ends.

Domeshot17
04-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Just got back from the game, Gavin was pretty awesome today. He had a a lot of balls in the Dirt, but My take on that was (1) it was raining a lot and (2) his breaking ball was falling off the table big time.

I have to ask, did Dye have any shot at the single. It looked to me like he pulled up and if he dove he might have had it, but I have a feeling that was more me wanting to see a no hitter.

Fantastic Game today by Gavin, We needed someone to step up, and end this little skid, and he had an up hill battle vs Verlander and he dominated.

Vernam
04-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Couldn't find anyone to go with me, so I watched from home today. Since that's how I ended up watching Buehrle's no-no on TV, I was a little conflicted watching Floyd go for his -- would've sucked to miss another one! I wish he could have finished it off, but on some selfish level, I was relieved.:redface:

Great to see the Sox scoring runs late, even though it was obvious Leyland left Verlander in too long. I don't know how we keep beating that guy, but I'm glad we do. Floyd's breaking ball looked a lot like Verlander's today -- maybe nastier -- which is really saying something.

And yeah, what Rodriguez did was appalling, with Cabrera lying there motionless. Sometimes a competitor's instincts aren't pretty.

Gotta win tomorrow to keep those Tiggers down. They look completely lifeless.

Vernam

TheOldRoman
04-12-2008, 05:16 PM
worst play by play ever. .......full count on Uribe, here's the pitch, and thats inside.....but Juan swung and missed badly.

*** is that?That reminds me of a funny moment from Wednesday's miserable game on the radio.

Farmer: "...and Uribe takes ball two. He could hit a homer here and bring the Sox even closer. Ball outside, 0 and 3. He could take a walk here also, and get on base in front of Swisher.

Stone: "He COULD take a walk here. I wouldn't be my house on it."

Tragg
04-12-2008, 05:18 PM
side question - why are we playing Saturday games at noon?

October26
04-12-2008, 05:23 PM

Could it be because Fox has the game of the week on Saturday and either takes the 12 noon sart or the 3:00 pm (central time) start? I don't think all of our games are scheduled for a 12 noon start this year, just a select few.

oeo
04-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Could it be because Fox has the game of the week on Saturday and either takes the 12 noon sart or the 3:00 pm (central time) start? I don't think all of our games are scheduled for a 12 noon start this year, just a select few.

As far as I know, FOX doesn't have that noon slot anymore.

kitekrazy
04-12-2008, 05:34 PM

It's suppose to be warmer at that time I guess.

I can't believe I missed this game. I didn't even bother to check to see if there was going to be game. I assumed it would be canceled.

jabrch
04-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Oh by the way, Floyd has had TWO good outings, not one as you so cherry picked.

He's actually had more than that. Gavin pitched fairly well at the end of last year.

jabrch
04-12-2008, 05:40 PM
To be fair, from Ivan's angle it could very well have looked like to him that it hit the bat, but with the sound it made, he should have known it actually plunked his helmet.

And to be fair to TheOldRoman, Ivan Rodriguez is a piece of crap.

October26
04-12-2008, 05:41 PM
As far as I know, FOX doesn't have that noon slot anymore.

Perhaps you are correct. I just looked at the Sox schedule for the rest of the year and there are only 2 additional 12 noon starts (May 3rd and June 21st). And there are a few TBD starts listed for Saturdays in September. Glad that they got the game in today, though, and very happy about the Sox winning this game!

jabrch
04-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Don't get me wrong, I loved the outcome but he was pretty wild.

Not really...He was ahead of the count quite a bit - and then worked hitters over.

sullythered
04-12-2008, 05:42 PM
I am at work. When I got the box score update on my phone, I thought my phone was malfunctioning.

Nice job, Gavin!

whitesoxwilkes
04-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Just got back from the game, Gavin was pretty awesome today. He had a a lot of balls in the Dirt, but My take on that was (1) it was raining a lot and (2) his breaking ball was falling off the table big time.

I have to ask, did Dye have any shot at the single. It looked to me like he pulled up and if he dove he might have had it, but I have a feeling that was more me wanting to see a no hitter.

Fantastic Game today by Gavin, We needed someone to step up, and end this little skid, and he had an up hill battle vs Verlander and he dominated.

I was there as well. Gained about 15 lbs in rainwater weight. :smile:

He had a few airmail pitches in addition to the ones in the dirt. I'm thinking that the ball was pretty wet. Infield looked almost unplayable from my view by the time all was said and done, even with them applying the Diamond Dry every 2 innings.

TomBradley72
04-12-2008, 05:47 PM
You could also probably move Dye to 1B or DH.

Where does anyone get the idea Dye can play 1B? (not picking on this particular poster...but this idea comes up alot).Has he ever played much 1st base as a professional player?

itsnotrequired
04-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Where does anyone get the idea Dye can play 1B? (not picking on this particular poster...but this idea comes up alot).Has he ever played much 1st base as a professional player?

He has played one game at first back in 2005.

itsnotrequired
04-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Not really...He was ahead of the count quite a bit - and then worked hitters over.

He was ahead pretty good in the 4th and the 5th but other than that, it was either pretty equal or he was behind in the count.

SOXfnNlansing
04-12-2008, 05:54 PM

I was in sec110 and Dye had no chance imo. His facial expression was he hated to pull up on it but had to

Jjav829
04-12-2008, 06:11 PM
I wasn't saying they are that similar as pitchers. I just think they will be treated the same way. There will be a group of people who are noticeably quiet when he does good, but come out screaming every time he gets hit around. I also think that there is nothing he will ever be able to do to earn the respect of some of our fanbase, much like Garland who was "a #4 at best" to some people on here. That is where the comparison ends.

I know what you meant. Maybe I didn't get my point across. What I meant to say was that Garland was more of one of our own. We heard the hype for a few years and were expecting big things when he came up. He was touted as part of our supposed great future rotation with Kip Wells and Jon Rauch. The expectations were high for him.

Floyd, on the other hand, was another team's future. The Phillies fans were the ones who went through that with Floyd. He comes here with low expectations for the most part, and little hype.

I think some were so hard on Garland because they had high expectations. They were expecting him to be more than a 200+ IP, 4.50 ERA pitcher. While we all love to watch pitchers dominate, there's something to be said about a guy who you know will pitch every 5th day and will end the year around 4.5 with 14 or so wins every year.

If Floyd consistently(probably the key word for Floyd) gave us 200+ IP and a 4.5 ERA, I think most fans would be ecstatic.

Brian26
04-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Farmer: "...and Uribe takes ball two. He could hit a homer here and bring the Sox even closer. Ball outside, 0 and 3. He could take a walk here also, and get on base in front of Swisher.

Was the joke that Uribe could take the walk, or that the count was 0 and 3? :redneck

Rockman218
04-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Great job Gavin. :gulp:

Jerome
04-12-2008, 06:26 PM
wow, did not expect this from Gavin Floyd. I know it's extremely early, but if Danks and Floyd are able to get their **** together this year, that erases my biggest pre-season question mark about the team.

nice job Gavin, too bad the no hitter didn't last

BadBobbyJenks
04-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Couldn't find anyone to go with me, so I watched from home today. Since that's how I ended up watching Buehrle's no-no on TV, I was a little conflicted watching Floyd go for his -- would've sucked to miss another one! I wish he could have finished it off, but on some selfish level, I was relieved.:redface:

Vernam

Not going to lie, my dad and I gave up our tickets today so we didnt have to sit through the rain and I was secretly rooting for an infield hit.

anewman35
04-12-2008, 06:37 PM

I was at the game today, and I noticed that on the scoreboard pictures, they had a series where they'd show the number and the position they played. Most people just had one, Uribe shoed "2B/SS", but oddest of all, Dye was "RF/DH/1B". We joked that they might as well put "SS" there too, if they're going to list things he played once.

btrain929
04-12-2008, 06:44 PM

Miguel Cabrera played 1B for Detoilet today and was fine. Catchers like Victor Martinez play 1B and do fine. Are they going to win gold gloves? No. But they can be servicable. I don't see why people think it's the hardest thing ever for major league players to make a transition to play 1B.

With that said, the only way we have to worry about that is if Konerko is traded, but he won't be. Konerko is an above average defender at 1B. So moving him to DH (as someone previously mentioned) would be dumb. Dye is the ideal candidate to move to DH if Thome doesn't come back next year because he is barey average (probably slightly below average) playing RF defense.

WSox597
04-12-2008, 07:21 PM
It was good to see Gavin pitching well, even with the walks.

Hopefully it's a sign he's turned the corner on his nervousness.

A good game to win, because chances are the Tiggers won't be this anemic all year. Win them while you can.

thomas35forever
04-12-2008, 08:57 PM
I hope Gavin can work his magic against more than just the Tigers.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Are both Floyd and Vazquez labeled as "million dollar arms, 10 cent brain" guys? Rightly or wrongly, I believe I've heard the phrase in regards to both. Maybe Coop has figured these two out, so to speak. No one gets everyone, but maybe Coop is pushing the right buttons on these two.

Lip Man 1
04-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Congrats to Gavin on an outstanding performance.

Now I hope he can continue his fine pitching against other A.L. clubs.

He's 3-0 lifetime against Detroit, 0-5 against the rest of the A.L. in his short A.L. career.

Strange how some pitchers seem to have a certain teams number.

Randy Johnson owned the Sox.
Johan Santana owns the Sox.
C.C. Sabathia owns the Sox.

The Sox appear to own Verlander (1-6) and they owned Bartolo Colon when he was with Cleveland. They also have a good record if memory serves, against Mike Mussina.

Lip

Blueprint1
04-12-2008, 09:17 PM

Come on man:rolleyes:

Railsplitter
04-12-2008, 09:21 PM
The win is what counts. Good job Gavin :bandance:

chisox77
04-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Maybe a stellar outing is all Gavin needs to become more productive. This could be an excellent development as far as the starting rotation is concerned.

:cool:

DickAllen72
04-13-2008, 02:25 AM
Ivan Rodriguez is a **** weasel.:mad:
It would be poetic justice if he gets hit "in the bat" one of these days.

04-13-2008, 02:46 AM
A team composed of Joe Crede and Gavin Floyd could beat Detroit by themselves.

Foulke You
04-13-2008, 03:27 AM

He's 3-0 lifetime against Detroit, 0-5 against the rest of the A.L. in his short A.L. career.

The Sox appear to own Verlander (1-6) and they owned Bartolo Colon when he was with Cleveland. They also have a good record if memory serves, against Mike Mussina.

Lip
The thought crossed my mind that this could be a continuation of Gavin's domination of Detroit batters but keep in mind Lip, there are a lot of new faces in that Tiger lineup this year. Miguel Cabrera, Clete Thomas, Jacque Jones, and Edgar Renteria were all playing elsewhere last year and Floyd retired them just as easily as the ones from the '07 Tigers. Regardless, it's good that Floyd started off with two games against the Tigers early this year. Hopefully, it helped him build some confidence that he can carry over into the whole year.

He looked awfully good today and I absolutely love that 12/6 curveball he has when he is locating it. When Gavin is clicking on all cylinders, you can really see the talent that is there in this kid. If he finally has put it all together, he definitely features the "stuff" of a pitcher who could win 15W-18W for us.

Now it's probably time for me to go to bed...I'm going to be freezing my arse off at the ballpark tomorrow hopefully watching Javy continue where Gavin left off.

Tragg
04-13-2008, 09:27 AM

Lip
And if Floyd ends up being the type of pitcher to whom you compared him, we'll all be thrilled.

You can take ownership to the team level. We own Detroit,for example, and have for several years.

tick53
04-13-2008, 10:29 AM
I hear that! I felt so bad for him, he looked like he was going to cry. He was so close he could taste it. :whiner:

That's what I was thinking. Must be an emotional guy. Nothing wrong with that though. I love a person who cares about their work. Great game Gav! Shades of Black Jack McDowell.

aryzner
04-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Let's just have Gavin pitch every time we play Detroit!!!!:D:

balke
04-13-2008, 11:30 AM

Lip

Hehe, I don't know if it was the Sox who owend Mussina, so much as FRANK THOMAS. Frank saw a beachball everytime Mussina threw to him. Something like 9 HR's against him in his career, I think 7 with the Sox.

Mohoney
04-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Let's just have Gavin pitch every time we play Detroit!!!!:D:

I don't think this is all that bad an idea. If the situation presents itself (through rainouts, All Star break, or something similar), I wouldn't be opposed to shuffling things around to get Floyd out there against the Tigers. As long as nobody is required to go on short rest to make up for it, I wouldn't mind a move like this by Ozzie.

I know it won't ever line up where we get a Floyd start in EVERY series when we play the Tigers, but maybe a couple of extra starts might materialize down the road.

balke
04-13-2008, 01:47 PM
I never really chimed in. Floyd looked great on replay yesterday. I was watching the game, but not focused on his pitching. I was afraid to watch. Floyd's been great so far, hopefully he's become what the Sox wanted.