PDA

View Full Version : WSCR Radio Delay

cnw8052
04-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Anyone know why the radio broadcasts are so far behind live action on TV???

Usually it's the other way around, but this year the TV broadcast is about 5-7 seconds ahead of the radio.

For reference, I have Comcast cable.

Patrick134
04-11-2008, 09:34 PM
If you have a dvr cable box, just pause the video for 7 seconds and restart it.

Ziggy S
04-11-2008, 09:48 PM
You kids today with your fancy VCR's, Color TV's, and Cassete Tapes confuse me. IN MY DAY, we didn't have any digital external entertainment. We played a game called poke someone's eye out. We just jabbed sticks into each others eyes and them someone would cry, oh my eye socket is bleeding and I can't see. Well, too bad. Maybe, you shouldn't have let someone poke out your eye. That's the way it was AND WE LIKED IT.

cnw8052
04-11-2008, 09:53 PM
If you have a dvr cable box, just pause the video for 7 seconds and restart it.

It's not a problem or anything, I was just curious about it. It's odd for live radio to be that far behind cable TV.

MyLifePeakedAt21
04-11-2008, 10:04 PM
As a general rule of thumb, throughout the '08 season we'll be matching both home and away broadcasts to the network in which the game is being televised. This includes Comcast, WGN, WCIU and CLTV. It also pertains to all national broadcasts. We have Comcast cable at the station and have currently reconfigured our delay to within half a second of the action on Comcast Sportsnet. If you have DirectTV or Dish Network we will be unable to match the audio to the action as all satellite providers add an additional delay on to their signal.

It is possible if you are viewing on Comcast Sportsnet HD that they may add an additional few seconds of delay which could be the reason you're receiving the SCR call ahead of the action on your screen. We will look into whether or not Comcast adds additional delay onto their HD channel.

cnw8052
04-11-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm NOT receiving the radio ahead of the TV. The TV is ahead of the radio.

As a general rule of thumb, throughout the '08 season we'll be matching both home and away broadcasts to the network in which the game is being televised. This includes Comcast, WGN, WCIU and CLTV. It also pertains to all national broadcasts. We have Comcast cable at the station and have currently reconfigured our delay to within half a second of the action on Comcast Sportsnet. If you have DirectTV or Dish Network we will be unable to match the audio to the action as all satellite providers add an additional delay on to their signal.

It is possible if you are viewing on Comcast Sportsnet HD that they may add an additional few seconds of delay which could be the reason you're receiving the SCR call ahead of the action on your screen. We will look into whether or not Comcast adds additional delay onto their HD channel.

tebman
04-11-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm NOT receiving the radio ahead of the TV. The TV is ahead of the radio.
Don't know for sure, but I'd bet WSCR is using their "HD Radio" scam system that automatically adds about 8 seconds of delay to the audio.

Another reason "HD" radio is a bad idea.

MyLifePeakedAt21
04-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Sorry, misread your post. Still, at this moment in our studio, our "air" feed is matched up with the comcast broadcast we have on our tv here. Our program director has a dish and says that it matches up with his feed.

MyLifePeakedAt21
04-11-2008, 10:21 PM
And we turn off our HD delay during Sox broadcasts so that's not the problem either.

ws05champs
04-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Sorry, misread your post. Still, at this moment in our studio, our "air" feed is matched up with the comcast broadcast we have on our tv here. Our program director has a dish and says that it matches up with his feed.

Must be some strange law of physics then that causes radio waves to move much more slowly than TV signals through cable, because by the time it gets to Elmhurst the TV is at least 7 seconds ahead of the radio.

fram40
04-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Must be some strange law of physics then that causes radio waves to move much more slowly than TV signals through cable, because by the time it gets to Elmhurst the TV is at least 7 seconds ahead of the radio.

Downers Grove Comcast HD was way ahead of the radio as well.

TomBradley72
04-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Anyone know why the radio broadcasts are so far behind live action on TV???

Usually it's the other way around, but this year the TV broadcast is about 5-7 seconds ahead of the radio.

For reference, I have Comcast cable.

If Rowand was still here, he'd fix this.

munchman33
04-14-2008, 10:58 AM

Well everyone else has about a 7 second delay on the radio.

JorgeFabregas
04-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Just checking in with some more data here. I watch the games via over the air broadcast and the radio is still behind.

my5thbench
04-14-2008, 11:13 AM
I have Comcasr digital & the one time I tried it had no delay at al....still prefer the higher quality of the tv to am radio.....has nice stereo quality

Chilli Palmer
04-14-2008, 11:17 AM
I listened to 670 on Saturday, they were pretty much dead on balls accurate with CSN HD feed, Rogney and Stone sounded great together.

Cat Thief
04-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Same by me. I was surprised that there was no delay.

Foulke You
04-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Same by me. I was surprised that there was no delay.
WSCR seems to have adjusted their signal to appease the people who watch the TV feed but for people like me who like to listen to the radio feed while actually being at the game, it really messed everything up. The live action at the ballpark yesterday was at least 7-10 seconds ahead of what I was hearing on the radio. I hope they go back to the old way because I'll miss being able to hear the PBP while at the game. :(:

jdm2662
04-14-2008, 02:53 PM
For someone who refuses to listen to the tv broadcast team, I am very happy the radio is in sync with the tv. I am also surprised it's very close to the hd feed. It was usually at least 7-10 seconds behind.

roylestillman
04-14-2008, 03:48 PM
So far I've noticed that The Score matches perfectly with Comcast SportsNet HD, but whenever its a on WGN or WCIIU its ahead of the game when I'm watching it on HD cable.

Zook 'Em
04-14-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm NOT receiving the radio ahead of the TV. The TV is ahead of the radio.So there's people getting radio ahead of TV, there's people getting TV ahead of radio.

I feel as if I need no more information to definitively conclude that there is a tear in the space-time continuum.