PDA

View Full Version : "They are hitters, not leadoff men"

jabrch
04-11-2008, 09:00 PM
So says Feisty to the Hawk when talking about Swisher and Quentin...

Discuss

Vernam
04-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I think he said this because our leadoff men the last two years couldn't hit. :redneck

Vernam

oeo
04-11-2008, 09:11 PM
When you don't have a leadoff hitter, you put a high OBP guy there.

If Quentin actually works out, I'd rather see him there than Swish. Move Swish's production down.

Mohoney
04-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Swisher's OBP - .457
Quentin's OBP - .370

Neither guy is a base clogger as far as speed goes. The only thing missing is the stolen base threat, but the extra pop in both of their bats offsets that.

I know that the OBPs won't stay in the stratosphere all season, but it does show that they're capable of putting up stellar OBP numbers in spurts.

oeo
04-11-2008, 09:25 PM
I know that the OBPs won't stay in the stratosphere all season, but it does show that they're capable of putting up stellar OBP numbers in spurts.

I actually think what Quentin is doing right now, he can do the entire season. It's not like he's tearing the cover off the ball (although it seems like it).

DSpivack
04-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Are we not men? No! We are leadoff hitters.

EMachine10
04-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Quentin has put up really nice OBP numbers in the minors. Of course, there's nothing saying that is going to translate into big league success, but it's very encouraging. I think that Carlos can become a very good lead off hitter. That's what you need out of a lead off hitter - someone who will get on base. I don't care how fast you are. You can't steal first base, and you can't steal second base if you don't get to first base. Is Quentin your prototypical lead off hitter? No, probably not, although he is, in my opinion, our best option - along with Swisher.

Patrick134
04-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Quentin has put up really nice OBP numbers in the minors. Of course, there's nothing saying that is going to translate into big league success, but it's very encouraging. I think that Carlos can become a very good lead off hitter. That's what you need out of a lead off hitter - someone who will get on base. I don't care how fast you are. You can't steal first base, and you can't steal second base if you don't get to first base. Is Quentin your prototypical lead off hitter? No, probably not, although he is, in my opinion, our best option - along with Swisher.

A guy with a good eye doesn't just lead to more walks, but theoretically the guy should have a lot more hitters counts as well.

Craig Grebeck
04-11-2008, 10:27 PM
That's embarrassing.

Rockin Robin
04-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Thankfully DJ has no influence on our lineup.

Noneck
04-11-2008, 11:54 PM
And the other choices on this team are?

jabrch
04-11-2008, 11:57 PM
I'd still like to see these guys hitting better than .260 or .270. It's hard to walk when a pitcher throws strikes. You can only walk if a pitcher makes mistakes.

Craig Grebeck
04-12-2008, 12:02 AM
I'd still like to see these guys hitting better than .260 or .270. It's hard to walk when a pitcher throws strikes. You can only walk if a pitcher makes mistakes.
But it has to do with pitch recognition. .270/.370 is extremely solid.

EndemicSox
04-12-2008, 12:59 AM
But it has to do with pitch recognition. .270/.370 is extremely solid.

I'll take it, it's better than anything we have had there since the Rock...Carlos will eventually move to the middle of the order if he realizes his potential, but for now, I like the move.

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-12-2008, 02:08 AM
Not every team in the majors is going to have the ideal lead-off man...just like every team is not going to have a good offense...or good starting pitching...we have to get it done with what we have....

I personally like both Quentin and Swisher...who else are we supposed to put up top?

Domeshot17
04-12-2008, 02:30 AM
MacDougal and Dotel claim to be pitchers, but Im starting to think I want to call BS on that too :scratch:

Stringer
04-12-2008, 04:36 AM
Thankfully DJ has no influence on our lineup.

lol