PDA

View Full Version : Sabathia getting beaten up again

gf2020
04-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Many experts Cy Young pick is once again killed. It is only the third and he has given up six earned runs to the A's, making that 15 earned runs he's given up in his first three starts.

Is it the lack of a contract or has he just lost it? Hard to see the Indians winning the division if Sabathia never gets going for them.

HomeFish
04-11-2008, 07:00 PM
7 earned runs in 3 innings. Still in the game, too.

oeo
04-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Many experts Cy Young pick is once again killed. It is only the third and he has given up six earned runs to the A's, making that 15 earned runs he's given up in his first three starts.

Is it the lack of a contract or has he just lost it? Hard to see the Indians winning the division if Sabathia never gets going for them.

I doubt he's just 'lost it.' It's either a slow start, or he's feeling the effects of a long postseason last year, much like Buehrle in 2006.

I mentioned before that I thought both he and Carmona would be less-than-stellar this year.

getonbckthr
04-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Contract +trying to be perfect to maximize results towards a big contract= piss-poor performance and concentration.

HomeFish
04-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Still in the game.

What are the Indians trying to do -- maximize his ERA to minimize his signing value?

jabrch
04-11-2008, 07:45 PM
He's fat.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with him being hit so hard the past two outings, but it is in incontravertible statement of fact.

cws05champ
04-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I doubt he's just 'lost it.' It's either a slow start, or he's feeling the effects of a long postseason last year, much like Buehrle in 2006.

I mentioned before that I thought both he and Carmona would be less-than-stellar this year.
I stated in another thread that I thought that Carmona getting his deal may irk Sabathia a bit and he would have a bad start his next game. Should've put my $$ where my mouth is.

oeo
04-11-2008, 08:13 PM
I stated in another thread that I thought that Carmona getting his deal may irk Sabathia a bit and he would have a bad start his next game. Should've put my $$ where my mouth is.

1)Why would it irk him? Carmona and Sabathia are in two totally different situations.

2)Even if he was angry, I doubt he would throw a game away because of it.

TDog
04-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Sabathia didn't pitch well against the Sox on opening day. He hasn't been a very good pitcher this year.

I would never second-guess the Indians manager, let alone complain that Sabathia was left in the game too long. Considering the weather, he may have been hoping the rain would wash out the stats and he wouldn't have to go to the bullpen.

I've been listening to the game on the radio. A rain delay hit with two out in the bottom of the eighth with two strikes on the hitter. The Indians have runners at second and third with five runs in. It's a 9-6 ballgame.

FarWestChicago
04-11-2008, 09:25 PM
This is not news. He's just continued from where he left off last year in the playoffs when he personally gave the pennant to the Wrong Sox. Why is anybody surprised?

chaerulez
04-12-2008, 12:13 PM
This is not news. He's just continued from where he left off last year in the playoffs when he personally gave the pennant to the Wrong Sox. Why is anybody surprised?

He had one of the worst postseasons I've ever seen a #1 pitcher have.

Sockinchisox
04-12-2008, 01:03 PM
He had one of the worst postseasons I've ever seen a #1 pitcher have.

Peavy is pretty bad in post season games.

Frontman
04-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Sabathia's troubles can be traced to one thing:

Him being on my fantasy team.

:D:

chisoxfanatic
04-12-2008, 03:22 PM

Same here, man! My fantasy team's taking a major hit early! I have Lowell, Kazmir, and Putz all on the DL right now, and some huge games have been on my bench!

At least I also had Blanton going last night.

kba
04-12-2008, 07:19 PM

And Carmona only lasted 3 1/3 innings tonight: three runs, two hits, eight walks.

Frontman
04-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Same here, man! My fantasy team's taking a major hit early! I have Lowell, Kazmir, and Putz all on the DL right now, and some huge games have been on my bench!

At least I also had Blanton going last night.

I was hoping for a rotation of Sabathia, Meche, Bonser, Carmona to follow suit of I draft a player, they sucketh in RL. (I'd include a Tigers pitcher for the heck of it, but they don't need my 'help' to blow leads.)

I'm hanging onto a win, (just barely) for this week. Last week I lost my HtH matchup by one point. ONE POINT!!!!

Oblong
04-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Sabathia and Verlander lead the league in runs allowed.

TDog
04-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Sabathia and Verlander lead the league in runs allowed.

This early in the season, part of the reason is that their managers have been leaving them in longer than they wuold have left in other pitchers, as well as the bullpens letting some inherited runners score. Both have had rough starts to the season, but Verlander clearly has pitched better than Sabathia.

Foulke You
04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
He's fat.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with him being hit so hard the past two outings, but it is in incontravertible statement of fact.
CC definitely looked heavier on Opening Day than he did last year. He has always been a big boy but you could be correct jabrch, perhaps offseason conditioning (or lack thereof) has played a part in his early struggles.

palehozenychicty
04-15-2008, 08:28 AM

Touche

Billy Ashley
04-15-2008, 08:39 AM
CC pitched far too many innings last season. I wouldn't be shocked if his entire 2008 is a stinker.

That said he's still an elite starter and likely to get big big bucks this off season.

Oblong
04-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Sabathia just gave up a grand slam to Renteria. 9-1 in the fifth. 4 IP for CC, 9 ER.

Cleveland's doing to their team what we did to my team in that Sunday night game you all watched on ESPN. It's nice when it's a division rival isn't it?

gf2020
04-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Cleveland's doing to their team what we did to my team in that Sunday night game you all watched on ESPN. It's nice when it's a division rival isn't it?
While it's nice to see CC continue to fall apart, I actually wanted the Indians to win. With only a one game difference between the Tigers and Indians, I am more worried about the Tigers getting hot as they have way more talent than the Indians and don't play the White Sox again, to have their souls crushed, until June.

TDog
04-16-2008, 07:53 PM
While it's nice to see CC continue to fall apart, I actually wanted the Indians to win. With only a one game difference between the Tigers and Indians, I am more worried about the Tigers getting hot as they have way more talent than the Indians and don't play the White Sox again, to have their souls crushed, until June.

Both the Indians and Tigers are overrated. That Sabathia gave up nine earned runs tonight is good to see, actually. And I don't believe it's a coincidence that Detroit just started hitting when they began playing the Indians.

Frontman
04-16-2008, 09:21 PM
So, over/under on him being sat down? This is just plain awful baseball out of him.

pdimas
04-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Sabathia sporting a nice ERA of 13.50 on the year so far. :o: Eesh...

pdimas
04-16-2008, 09:49 PM

Hope you dropped him :D:

Frontman
04-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Hope you dropped him :D:

Are you kidding? I'm holding onto him until he loses at least 14-15 games; making it easier for the Sox to make a run at the division.

:wink:

FloridaTigers
04-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Both the Indians and Tigers are overrated. That Sabathia gave up nine earned runs tonight is good to see, actually. And I don't believe it's a coincidence that Detroit just started hitting when they began playing the Indians.

Nah, the mashing began in the Twins series.

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Nah, the mashing began in the Twins series.
Really it began after Leyland called out his team after the 11-0 loss to the Sox. That happened in '06 as i recall and got them turned around.