PDA

View Full Version : Do the Red Sox think their **** doesn't stink?

jabrch
04-11-2008, 12:04 PM
The Boston Herald reports that the Red Sox are "looking to trade" Kyle Snyder and the Tigers, Rays and Phillies have expressed interest.

Snyder was designated for assignment Sunday, giving the team 10 days to trade him or risk losing him on waivers.
Source: Boston Herald (http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1086449&format=&page=2&listingType=sox#articleFull)

Are they kidding? I sure hope the Tigers give up something for him. This guy is TERRIBLE. He's a ripe turd. I hope Detroit gets him TODAY so we can hit against him tomorrow or Sunday.

We have a half dozen guys who suck just like him in our minor league system, but are not out of options.

doublem23
04-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Pull the trigger, Dombrowski! Save your sinking ship!

Billy Ashley
04-11-2008, 02:06 PM
The Boston Herald reports that the Red Sox are "looking to trade" Kyle Snyder and the Tigers, Rays and Phillies have expressed interest.

Snyder was designated for assignment Sunday, giving the team 10 days to trade him or risk losing him on waivers.
Source: Boston Herald (http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1086449&format=&page=2&listingType=sox#articleFull)

Are they kidding? I sure hope the Tigers give up something for him. This guy is TERRIBLE. He's a ripe turd. I hope Detroit gets him TODAY so we can hit against him tomorrow or Sunday.

We have a half dozen guys who suck just like him in our minor league system, but are not out of options.

You do understand that every team tries to do this with players they DFA. Hell, the White Sox did it to Boston with Aardsma not too long ago.

Is Snyder bad? Sure. Can he be useful to a team that needs a 12th pitcher? Maybe.

Snyder posted an excellent ERA last season despite awful peripherals. I'd imagine every front office in baseball would understand this, however, given that Snyder can in theory fill several roles (spot starter, long man) he may have value to some teams.

Additionally, Snyder's got a great curve ball. I believe Boston acquired him in the hopes that his curve could equal some significant upside based on his curve with very little risk. Some other teams may believe that still, although of course, Snyder is 2 years older. Furthermore, you can be assured anyone the Red Sox ask for will essentially be organizational filler.

jabrch
04-14-2008, 04:46 PM
What a bummer....

Red Sox sent RHP Kyle Snyder outright to Triple-A Pawtucket.

That Snyder cleared waivers is a surprise. He's not a key pitcher on a contender, but he's versatile and can eat innings. Perhaps it helped that he's making $835,000 this season and not the minimum. He's accepting the assignment to Pawtucket, so he'll almost surely rejoin the Red Sox later this season.
Source: Boston Herald (http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rob_bradford/index.php/2008/04/14/snyder-accepts-assignment/)

Nobody wanted this crapbag for free. Oh well. It appears we didn't need the Tigers to have him to rip them apart.

Billy Ashley
04-14-2008, 10:59 PM
again, I don't understand the point of this thread. What should Boston have done, tried to get him through waivers with out trading him in fear of having to absorb his contract while allowing him to eat innings elsewhere?

He's a bad pitcher, we get it. But given the lack of depth in pitching around major league baseball Boston would have been stupid to not try to move Snyder. He might have been able to pull some garbage innings for someone and that might have been worth some organizational filler.

rocky biddle
04-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Do the Red Sox think their **** doesn't stink?

Yes, I believe they do.

Billy Ashley
04-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Yes, I believe they do.

Again, why?

There are a lot of things that the Boston Red Sox do that could qualify (their opening day fiasco this season, the bad apples comment by Theo Epstien, and so on).

But how does trying to trade a player they DFA make them believe their **** does not stink? Every ball club does this... it would be bad baseball not to.

jabrch
04-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Yes, I believe they do.

It is typical east coast arrogance.

A player who was worthless to the Royals, and is worthless to the Red Sox, is in all likelihood, fairly worthless.

Billy Ashley
04-15-2008, 10:15 AM
It is typical east coast arrogance.

A player who was worthless to the Royals, and is worthless to the Red Sox, is in all likelihood, fairly worthless.

So the White Sox, would not try to do the same thing? Every team does this... get off your high horse.

Was it likely Boston would find a taker? No. Was it possible they could have gotten a back up catcher for AA, certainly. Every team does this, the freaking White Sox did it with Aardsma not 2 months ago to the Red Sox, and while Aardsma has upside, he hasn't exactly done well with the several teams that have cut bait with him.

A couple of weeks ago Boston traded a 23 year old short stop who has never hit out of A ball for a 28 middle reliever who saw MLB time last year... teams trade their junk around from time to time. What may be junk to one team may be organizational filler for another... how hard is that to understand?

rocky biddle
04-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Again, why?

There are a lot of things that the Boston Red Sox do that could qualify (their opening day fiasco this season, the bad apples comment by Theo Epstien, and so on).

But how does trying to trade a player they DFA make them believe their **** does not stink? Every ball club does this... it would be bad baseball not to.

I just meant, like, in general.