PDA

View Full Version : More conversations with Cubs fans

ThatGuyOnTheL
04-10-2008, 04:02 PM
I happen to work with a Chicago native and Cub fan, and we were discussing the commercials of our youth (Empire Carpet, Eagle Insurance, Victory Auto Wreckers, Celozzi & Ettleson, Luna Carpet, etc.). I contended that the Tile Outlet commercial, while not memorable or funny, was definitely a commercial that stuck in one's head and hadn't changed much over the years, leading to the following exchange:

"Do you recognize the address 2444 W. Fullerton?"

(long pause)

"Is that Wrigley Field?"

:rolleyes:

soxpride724
04-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Thats good:gulp:

I want Mags back
04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
wow

Chicken Dinner
04-10-2008, 04:28 PM
No Danley's Garage?

soxpride724
04-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I have alot of cub fan friends that I work with, most of them did not understand what the blue "L" flag stood for last year when I hung it at my desk after their first round exit.:scratch:

moochpuppy
04-10-2008, 04:44 PM
I have alot of cub fan friends that I work with, most of them did not understand what the blue "L" flag stood for last year when I hung it at my desk after their first round exit.:scratch:

The Blue line?:rolleyes:

thomas35forever
04-10-2008, 05:05 PM
I take it the guy's never seen Blues Brothers. It's impossible to miss that part.

bnlfanmatt
04-10-2008, 06:42 PM
"Do you recognize the address 2444 W. Fullerton?"

Tile Outlet is located at 2434 W. Fullerton in Chicago, just 2 blocks west of the Kennedy Expressway...

(If I remember correctly.)

Of course... that's why your co-worker didn't recognize it... it's that building right next to Wrigley Field! :redneck

fusillirob1983
04-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Tile Outlet is located at 2434 W. Fullerton in Chicago, just 2 blocks west of the Kennedy Expressway...

(If I remember correctly.)

Of course... that's why your co-worker didn't recognize it... it's that building right next to Wrigley Field! :redneck

I believe the first guy was right.

chisoxfanatic
04-10-2008, 09:28 PM
I believe the first guy was right.

Nope. It is 2434.

How about Mooooooo & Oinkkkkkkkkkk!!!

Viva Medias B's
04-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Of course, you can tell him that if he needed to call Wrigley Field for the right address, he should call HUdson 3-2700.

Railsplitter
04-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Of course, you can tell him that if he needed to call Wrigley Field for the right address, he should call HUdson 3-2700.
:rolling:

That's great.

bnlfanmatt
04-11-2008, 08:48 AM

:?:

Anyone care to explain?

tebman
04-11-2008, 09:06 AM
:?:

Anyone care to explain?

Explain-o-Link (http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=1077&m=hudson&p=1)

Jurr
04-11-2008, 10:52 AM
I had a great conversation with some Cub fans at the game last night. They were all hollering at the Pirates fans during the game, and I yelled, "Sit down...you're beating the Pirates, for God's sake! How 'bout them D-Backs?"

Of course, one of them turns around and says, "At least the Cubs have made the playoffs in the past decade."
I was wearing my Sox jacket at this time and flashed the logo to him. I smiled and said, "Yup. My boys did that and actually got a ring. It's wonderful. I highly recommend it."

It's great that Cub fans really can't say anything after that. You always see that look of frustration as they try to come up with something to no avail.

asindc
04-11-2008, 11:34 AM
I had a great conversation with some Cub fans at the game last night. They were all hollering at the Pirates fans during the game, and I yelled, "Sit down...you're beating the Pirates, for God's sake! How 'bout them D-Backs?"

Of course, one of them turns around and says, "At least the Cubs have made the playoffs in the past decade."
I was wearing my Sox jacket at this time and flashed the logo to him. I smiled and said, "Yup. My boys did that and actually got a ring. It's wonderful. I highly recommend it."

It's great that Cub fans really can't say anything after that. You always see that look of frustration as they try to come up with something to no avail.

Great comeback. I've had similar opportunities for comebacks with relatives who are Cubs fans. They, unlike the Cub fan you encountered, really should know better by now.

minutia
04-11-2008, 11:38 AM
I take it the guy's never seen Blues Brothers. It's impossible to miss that part.
Seriously that movie is the ultimate, Cliff Note if you will, for Wrigley's address.

DumpJerry
04-11-2008, 11:52 AM

REminds me of an encounter with two Twins' fans last year at Comiskey who were too much over the top cheering for their team. They acted like every play was the final out of Game Seven of the World Series with the Twins in the lead. I finally told them to shut up, after all they were playing the White Sox. I asked them how their team would against the Indians. They were silent the rest of the game. The Tribe kicked their butts the next week, by the way.

thomas35forever
04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Oh they say something. They say "Quit living in the past." Whatever. At least we've been alive to see our team win it all.

jenn2080
04-11-2008, 12:07 PM
I am always confused by the people who need to come to the board everytime they have a conversation with a Cubs fan. I really do not get it.

HA HA. He asked if it was Wrigley. Big deal.

So I completely forgot to make a thread about this. The other day I was walking my dog with his White Sox jersey on and some guy said "Your dog is a Sox fan?" I said "yes". He said "Cubs are #1"

I can't believe I forgot to run over to WSI and report my encounter with this guy.

PatK
04-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Oh they say something. They say "Quit living in the past." Whatever. At least we've been alive to see our team win it all.

It's funny that they say that, because all they do is revel in the past- and it's all based in failure.

At least we've got a past that has a championship behind it.

I also love how they bring attendance into it. I love reminding them that they don't award championships for attendance, and if they did, the Cubs still wouldn't be the winners.

kittle42
04-11-2008, 12:27 PM
So I completely forgot to make a thread about this. The other day I was walking my dog with his White Sox jersey on and some guy said "Your dog is a Sox fan?" I said "yes". He said "Cubs are #1"

I can't believe I forgot to run over to WSI and report my encounter with this guy.

Ha!

Blueprint1
04-11-2008, 12:45 PM

I hate the quit living in the past statement. Isn't being a cubs fan all about living in the past?

soxpride724
04-11-2008, 12:48 PM
I hate the quit living in the past statement. Isn't being a cubs fan all about living in the past?

Yup, we will never hear the end of 69. Even though they will never admit the mets were a better team by far.

DumpJerry
04-11-2008, 12:51 PM
I tell them that until they know how it feels, they really don't get it. I also tell them that given how they celebrate playing in a ballpark which makes the Roman Coliseum look modern, they are the ones living in the past.

SOXPHILE
04-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I am always confused by the people who need to come to the board everytime they have a conversation with a Cubs fan. I really do not get it.

I saw a guy at the Noodles & Company in Schaumburg today, eating with his family, and he had on a Cubs sweatshirt, AND a Cubs 2007 Central Division Champions hat. I forgot to mention that.

ThatGuyOnTheL
04-11-2008, 03:57 PM

I am always confused by the people who need to post sarcastic responses to anyone who would dare discuss such trivial matters in What's the Score?, a sub-forum dedicated to "Pale Hose conspiracies, runaway rumors and lots of Lovable Loser laments. Check your brain at the door, and 'Hey dude, what's the score?'"

I really do not get it.

Jurr
04-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Being a Cubs fan is all about living in that moment between "breaking the seal" at the stadium and vomiting in a restroom at the Cubby Bear.

kittle42
04-11-2008, 06:31 PM
I am always confused by the people who need to post sarcastic responses to anyone who would dare discuss such trivial matters in What's the Score?, a sub-forum dedicated to "Pale Hose conspiracies, runaway rumors and lots of Lovable Loser laments. Check your brain at the door, and 'Hey dude, what's the score?'"

I really do not get it.

And I don't get why people have a problem with the non-Cubsessed coming here to bash on those who appear to be Cubsessed. It;s a proper forum for that, too.

Ziggy S
04-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Yup, we will never hear the end of 69. Even though they will never admit the mets were a better team by far.
1969 was a perfect Cubs year. What other team could suck and blow at the same time. Heck, one team in the same year sucked and got licked, so the 69 part fits like a glove.

Dan Mega
04-11-2008, 07:13 PM
And I don't get why people have a problem with the non-Cubsessed coming here to bash on those who appear to be Cubsessed. It;s a proper forum for that, too.

Winner.

PS- :whistle:

MarySwiss
04-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Winner.

PS- :whistle:

It's a fair cop! :smile:

rdivaldi
04-11-2008, 07:55 PM

And I don't understand the bashers that come to bash on the bashed who were Cubsessed. Which makes me a basher of the bashers who bash on the bashed who.....okay now I'm lost.

C-Dawg
04-12-2008, 08:16 AM

I usually enjoy Jenn's posts, but wasn't she the same member who complained when a newbie started a "Where were you when the Sox won the World Series?" thread?

I say, lighten up! Not every thread here will be to everyone's liking. It is "where's the score", after all.

FarWestChicago
04-12-2008, 08:34 AM

I really do not get it.We put this ****hole forum here to contain the Flubsessed walking stereotypes who infest this site. It's like having an island where you send lepers. It's not a good thing. I am only posting this to clarify the situation for all you anti-Cub fans.

gaelhound
04-12-2008, 02:54 PM

I can't believe you didn't sic the dog on him!

Dan Mega
04-12-2008, 03:38 PM
We put this ****hole forum here to contain the Flubsessed walking stereotypes who infest this site. It's like having an island where you send lepers. It's not a good thing. I am only posting this to clarify the situation for all you anti-Cub fans.

There are Sox fans, and those who claim to be Sox fans so they can have an excuse for being so Cubsessed.

johnr1note
04-12-2008, 03:48 PM
We put this ****hole forum here to contain the Flubsessed walking stereotypes who infest this site. It's like having an island where you send lepers. It's not a good thing. I am only posting this to clarify the situation for all you anti-Cub fans.

Well, I passionately hate the Cubs as much as the next "flubsessed walking stereotype," but even I find some of these recent "What's the Score" threads pretty embarrassing.

Whitesox029
04-12-2008, 04:10 PM
This isn't really a conversation, but more of a verification of the idiocy of Cubs fans. I was at the 5-2 game last night, and this guy in the row behind me was drunk out of his mind by the 3rd inning. He wouldn't stop screaming at Baines and Van Slyke, the first-base coaches. Here I was sitting there thinking "oh great, this guy's giving all Sox fans a bad name." Until the 7th inning stretch rolled around and he sang "root root root for the Cubbies."
I should have known from the beginning.

itsnotrequired
04-12-2008, 04:24 PM

Close this subforum.