PDA

View Full Version : Road trip suggestions

kaufsox
04-10-2008, 12:44 PM
OK, I think I've got the wife on board for a weekend get away to some city. Her first suggestion was Minneapolis, followed by San Francisco and San Diego. Weather-wise its a no brainer, but we're talking summer so it doesn't matter that much. So, if you could go to any ballpark, not just those three, where would you go? Prefer to see the Sox, but not an absolute requirement

Mr.1Dog
04-10-2008, 12:50 PM
AT&T Park in San Fran. Then drive down Highway One and check out the coast.

04-10-2008, 12:51 PM
OK, I think I've got the wife on board for a weekend get away to some city. Her first suggestion was Minneapolis, followed by San Francisco and San Diego. Weather-wise its a no brainer, but we're talking summer so it doesn't matter that much. So, if you could go to any ballpark, not just those three, where would you go? Prefer to see the Sox, but not an absolute requirement

AT&T PARK - MAY - WEEKEND SERIES - WHITE SOX @ SAN FRANCISCO

I'm already booked for it. Lived in the bay area a couple of years and LOVE that ballpark.

jenn2080
04-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Minn sucks. Go SD of SF.

doublem23
04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure how well a weekend road trip from Edgewater to San Diego or San Francisco would work. :o: Also, if your trip centers around visiting a baseball stadium, I wouldn't road trip to Minneapolis until 2010.

Anyways, depending on how much you want to drive and where you want to visit, most of the new ballparks that are a reasonable driving distance from Chicago (Milwaukee, St. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, even Pittsburgh) are all worth checking out. If you find a good weekend you could do a nice loop from Chicago to Cincy to Detroit and back... Only about 4-5 hours of driving from each city to city.

skottyj242
04-10-2008, 01:13 PM
We're doing a weekend in New York in September to do Shea and Yankee stadium before they get demolished. It's the only weekend they're both home.

kninchicago
04-10-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure how well a weekend road trip from Edgewater to San Diego or San Francisco would work. :o: Also, if your trip centers around visiting a baseball stadium, I wouldn't road trip to Minneapolis until 2010.

I'm living the dream: flying in Friday at 10 AM to SF, catching the evening game, spending Saturday driving up the coast in a convertible and checking out the wineries and heading back to the city for my midnight flight to Chicago. :bandance:

That Sept. trip to see Mets/Yanks doesn't sound like a bad idea, I will look into that.

04-10-2008, 01:22 PM
The White Sox are not playing in San Diego this season. Unless of course there is some miracle I do not know about on the schedule.

I'll be @ LA and @ SF and possibly @ Oak this year.

jenn2080
04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm living the dream: flying in Friday at 10 AM to SF, catching the evening game, spending Saturday driving up the coast in a convertible and checking out the wineries and heading back to the city for my midnight flight to Chicago. :bandance:

That Sept. trip to see Mets/Yanks doesn't sound like a bad idea, I will look into that.

It is Sept 12-14. The Yankees play Tampa and the Mets play Atlanta.

kninchicago
04-10-2008, 01:51 PM
It is Sept 12-14. The Yankees play Tampa and the Mets play Atlanta.

What is great too is that Shea is nearby Laguardia so it would be easy to get tickets for a Sunday game there and fly out right after the game. I know I can't take any time off of work that weekend so I'd have to be in and out of NYC quick. It looks possible though from flight schedules.

Have you bought tickets yet for the plane? I'm concerned about buying tickets so far in advance what with all the cancellations as of late.

TDog
04-10-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm living the dream: flying in Friday at 10 AM to SF, catching the evening game, spending Saturday driving up the coast in a convertible and checking out the wineries and heading back to the city for my midnight flight to Chicago. :bandance:...

I live about about a block-and-a-half from a vineyard. In the La Loma neighborhood of Modesto, the vineyard is surrounded by chain-link, barbed-wire-topped fence, but it's cool to say I live around the corner from a vineyard. The Big Valley produces more wine than the wine country, but it isn't as picturesque. And if you drive south to Fresno, they leave the grapes out in the sun to shrivel up and become raisins.

San Francisco and the Napa Valley are cool, though, and much more expensive places to live. I don't know if I'll get to the Friday night game in San Francisco, but I plan to be at AT&T for the Saturday and Sunday games.

RTI_SoxFan
04-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Agreed with most - favorite park I've been to thus far is in SF and that includes about 20 parks.

Plus, you just can't beat SF (Napa, weather, seafood, wharf)...

Great city!

Sargeant79
04-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Haven't been to SF. Petco in SD is a great stadium and a great place to watch a game. I would definitely recommend checking out that ballpark.

kjhanson
04-10-2008, 02:58 PM
We're doing a weekend in New York in September to do Shea and Yankee stadium before they get demolished. It's the only weekend they're both home.

I did this in 2005. Four games in four days. Watched the Cubs get handled by the Mets for two games on Saturday and Sunday. And then watched the Sox play a competitive series against the Yankees on Monday and Tuesday. That trip was a blast.

skobabe8
04-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Sounds like I'll be seeing alot of WSI'ers in SF in May. A get-together may be in order?

chisoxmike
04-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Sounds like I'll be seeing alot of WSI'ers in SF in May. A get-together may be in order?

I'll be seeing you there.:gulp:

Daver
04-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Seattle, it's a short drive to British Columbia from there.

DSpivack
04-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Agreed with most - favorite park I've been to thus far is in SF and that includes about 20 parks.

Plus, you just can't beat SF (Napa, weather, seafood, wharf)...

Great city!

San Francisco is my favorite american city (besides Chicago), but uh, the weather there isn't great at all. Although if you live in the bay area you can basically pick any climate you like depending on the location.

LoveYourSuit
04-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Might be considering doing the LAA game on the 15th (Thurs) of May then drive up to SF for 2 of the games in SF Friday Saturday and then shoot East to Vegas before coming back to Chicago.

How long is the drive from LA to SF?

TDog
04-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Might be considering doing the LAA game on the 15th (Thurs) of May then drive up to SF for 2 of the games in SF Friday Saturday and then shoot East to Vegas before coming back to Chicago.

How long is the drive from LA to SF?

Internet sources list the distance between Anaheim, south of Los Angeles where the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim play, and San Francisco as 408 miles. Driving time is estimated at between 6 hours, 18 minutes and 8 hours, 20 minutes, depending on traffic. That's taking I-5, which is doesn't really skirt the ocean between Anaheim and San Francisco as it does between Anaheim and San Diego. Driving through Los Angeles can be a trip, but some times of day are better than others.

Las Vegas is 571 road miles from San Francisco. Driving time is estimated at 8 hours, 41 minutes. The time isn't as variable because you miss Los Angeles and the extremes of traffic congestion. You have to drive south around Death Valley, though, because roads from Reno, the shorter Nevada gambling destination from the Bay Area, are not as comfortable and speed-friendly as the interstates. I believe they do take you through Area 51, if you're into that sort of thing.

If you're looking at flying to Los Angeles, or Orange County, renting a car to drive to see the Angels, then driving to San Francisco, returning the car and flying to Las Vegas before flying back to Chicago, you might be able to find airfare under $400 if you book soon, and if you are looking at weekday flights. Better deals could emerge, depending on your specific schedule. Car rental, which wouldn't be necessary if you're just going to San Francisco, could be pricier than you expect, considering the price of gas. I've seen it up around $3.75 a gallon in Northern California. I don't know what the parking situation at AT&T is because I have never driven to a Giants game. In Anaheim, parking encircles the stadium for acres. It's very convenient.

When I lived in Arizona, the only time I saw the Sox play was when I drove to Anaheim for my annual baseball weekend. I stayed at the Angel Inn across the street from the stadium (or at least the stadium parking) and avoided paying for parking. I'm told the motel no longer exists. There are plenty of motels and hotels in Anaheim within short and easy driving distance to the park. Many of them fill up with families making the pilgrimage to Disneyland, but there are always rooms available.

LoveYourSuit
04-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Internet sources list the distance between Anaheim, south of Los Angeles where the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim play, and San Francisco as 408 miles. Driving time is estimated at between 6 hours, 18 minutes and 8 hours, 20 minutes, depending on traffic. That's taking I-5, which is doesn't really skirt the ocean between Anaheim and San Francisco as it does between Anaheim and San Diego. Driving through Los Angeles can be a trip, but some times of day are better than others.

Las Vegas is 571 road miles from San Francisco. Driving time is estimated at 8 hours, 41 minutes. The time isn't as variable because you miss Los Angeles and the extremes of traffic congestion. You have to drive south around Death Valley, though, because roads from Reno, the shorter Nevada gambling destination from the Bay Area, are not as comfortable and speed-friendly as the interstates. I believe they do take you through Area 51, if you're into that sort of thing.

If you're looking at flying to Los Angeles, or Orange County, renting a car to drive to see the Angels, then driving to San Francisco, returning the car and flying to Las Vegas before flying back to Chicago, you might be able to find airfare under $400 if you book soon, and if you are looking at weekday flights. Better deals could emerge, depending on your specific schedule. Car rental, which wouldn't be necessary if you're just going to San Francisco, could be pricier than you expect, considering the price of gas. I've seen it up around $3.75 a gallon in Northern California. I don't know what the parking situation at AT&T is because I have never driven to a Giants game. In Anaheim, parking encircles the stadium for acres. It's very convenient.

When I lived in Arizona, the only time I saw the Sox play was when I drove to Anaheim for my annual baseball weekend. I stayed at the Angel Inn across the street from the stadium (or at least the stadium parking) and avoided paying for parking. I'm told the motel no longer exists. There are plenty of motels and hotels in Anaheim within short and easy driving distance to the park. Many of them fill up with families making the pilgrimage to Disneyland, but there are always rooms available.

TDog, very good stuff. You should be our travel agent here.

I don't understand how the Giants and Dodgers are such rivals being close to 6 hours away.

Anyway, my plan is to fly to LAX get a rental, go to LAA (I've already attended a Sox game there a few years back and had a blast). Stay 1 night in Anaheim and then head on north the next morning with the rental to catch the next two games in SF. In SF, I would take the short flight east to Vegas and then from Vegas to Chicago.

AZChiSoxFan
04-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Minn sucks. Go SD of SF.

Totally agree.

The cities of SD and SF >>>>>> Minneapolis

The ballparks in SD and SF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the HHH Metrodome

AZChiSoxFan
04-11-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't understand how the Giants and Dodgers are such rivals being close to 6 hours away.

The Giants and Dodgers were of course rivals from their days in NY and then they both made the move out west the same year (1958). Already being rivals, and then playing in the same state and in the same division, the rivalry just continues. IMO, Giants fans hate the Dodgers more than Dodgers fans hate the Giants.

jenn2080
04-11-2008, 11:28 AM
What is great too is that Shea is nearby Laguardia so it would be easy to get tickets for a Sunday game there and fly out right after the game. I know I can't take any time off of work that weekend so I'd have to be in and out of NYC quick. It looks possible though from flight schedules.

Have you bought tickets yet for the plane? I'm concerned about buying tickets so far in advance what with all the cancellations as of late.

We are flying JetBlue. We are doing Shea on Sat and Yanks on Sunday.

Hitmenof77
04-11-2008, 11:45 AM

Yeah they torn down all those motels on Katella, just west of the stadium. If you want free parking, go Nationals Sports Grill on State College, have a beer or two before the game and walk over.

Southwest has a lot of cheap flights from OC, Ontario and LA to SF, Oakland and San Jose. That might be a better option than driving. If you're staying in SF, you won't need a car.

04-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Unless you want to spend the time to take Route 1 or the 101 from LA to SF than it is not worth it. I-5 is not exciting unless you want to see a ****load of fruit trees and cows.

TDog
04-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Unless you want to spend the time to take Route 1 or the 101 from LA to SF than it is not worth it. I-5 is not exciting unless you want to see a ****load of fruit trees and cows.

But I-5 will shave hours off the trip. That was my point. The scenic route slows down considerably when get north of the Hearst Castle area. I've driven up the California coast. It isn't a one-day drive. At least no under the circumstances described here. I-5 is still a major hassle.

LoveYourSuit is much better off taking a commuter flight from LAX to SFO. That could cost you $54, including taxes and fees, with a choice of several carriers. You could leave at around 2:30 p.m. and be out of SFO before 4 p.m.

Once you get to San Francisco, you don't need a car. Even if you stay near the airport, you can take the BART downtown and transfer to the Muni, which stops at the front of the stadium.

The biggest hassle of the Chicago-Anaheim-San Francisco-Las Vegas adventure would be renting a car at LAX and driving down to Anaheim. I don't know if there are any butand that still leaves getting to the stadium and getting to LAX for the flight to SFO.

The last time I flew between Las Vegas and San Francisco (not my desired route because the flight between Tucson and San Francisco was screwed up by the airline) I was bumped up to first class. It was a great flight. Get a window seat and hope for a clear day because the mountains below are beautiful.