PDA

View Full Version : Tribe lock up Carmona

CHIsoxNation
04-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Guaranteed through 2011 with club options for 2012, 2013, and 2014.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3339427

Looks like they'll have their new ace for a while if Sabathia walks after this year.

jabrch
04-10-2008, 10:03 AM
That's all his arb years, and then two of his FA years on options. Smart move for both sides.

cws05champ
04-10-2008, 12:23 PM
This has to irk Sabathia a little. How much you want to bet he will pitch like crap his next time out....

jabrch
04-10-2008, 12:32 PM
This has to irk Sabathia a little. How much you want to bet he will pitch like crap his next time out....

Sabathia has turned down a bunch of offers. If he is irked, it is because he decided to irk himself.

TDog
04-10-2008, 12:58 PM
That's all his arb years, and then two of his FA years on options. Smart move for both sides.

The Indians obviously know Carmona better than other teams do, and they believe in him, taking a chance on injury. Carmona apparently feels good in Cleveland, and he has some financial security. It sounds like a good deal for both sides. Free agents and newly arriving players who sign big contract extensions are much bigger risks.

I didn't expect Carmona to be as strong this year as he was last year. I'm not surprised by the outward confidence Cleveland has shown toward him because that is part of baseball promotion. This deal shows the confidence is genuine. Time will tell if it is justified.

oeo
04-10-2008, 01:02 PM
I didn't expect Carmona to be as strong this year as he was last year.

It's still early. If he's going to show signs of fatigue, it will be about midseason (like when our staff started going downhill in '06 and Detroit's in '07). I still think both Sabathia and Carmona will end up having not-so-great years.

TDog
04-10-2008, 01:16 PM
It's still early. If he's going to show signs of fatigue, it will be about midseason (like when our staff started going downhill in '06 and Detroit's in '07). I still think both Sabathia and Carmona will end up having not-so-great years.

I hope you're right, and I'm not conceding Carmona is going to have a great season. Pitching is a fragile commodity, as White Sox fans who pay attention should know. I'm just a little surprised at the confidence the Indians are expressing for Carmona.

FedEx227
04-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I guess they are comfortable in Carmona because his main pitch is the sinker and you're likely not going to lose that as much as you might a great, high-velocity fastball. Plus, no injury past, a good move most likely.