PDA

View Full Version : The good news is......

cornball
04-28-2002, 09:31 AM
Cleveland and Minnesota both lost too...We need a win badly today, rest and come home. Change the momentum, this is a tough part of the schedule, but they will be fine. Fortunately no matter the score it still counts as 1 loss.

GASHWOUND
04-28-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by cornball
Cleveland and Minnesota both lost too...We need a win badly today, rest and come home. Change the momentum, this is a tough part of the schedule, but they will be fine. Fortunately no matter the score it still counts as 1 loss.

It may only count a 1 lost, by I rather lose by 2 or 3 than 15...I can tell you that. Losing by 2 means you were at least competitive, losing by 15 means you were embarrassed and made the whipping boy by the other team. Not the way I want to lose, know what I'm saying.

Bmr31
04-28-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

It may only count a 1 lost, by I rather lose by 2 or 3 than 15...I can tell you that. Losing by 2 means you were at least competitive, losing by 15 means you were embarrassed and made the whipping boy by the other team. Not the way I want to lose, know what I'm saying.

uhhh the season is 162 games long, what counts is your wins and losses. I dont care if we lose by 1 or 10001, a loss is a loss. That post is just crazy.....

PaleHoseGeorge
04-28-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

Most ballplayers will tell you they prefer losing blowouts to close games. Even the best teams lose 40-70 games, so it's not like they have much choice but accept it once in awhile.

Blowouts are easier on their psyche. They chalk these games up as falling in the one-third they would have lost anyway. OTOH, a close defeat is the kind that falls into the category that separates the best teams from the also-rans. You lose too many of these, and you aren't making the playoffs. Besides that, they can point to one or two key moments when their failure to succeed costed them the game. That's a real blow.

If anything concerns me about yesterday's defeat, it's how the pitching completely collapsed, from ace Buehrle straight through bullpen slug Porzio. That's disturbing to me--and I bet to several of the guys on the team, too.

I'm glad we don't play Oakland as often as the teams in our division.

FarWestChicago
04-28-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
If anything concerns me about yesterday's defeat, it's how the pitching completely collapsed, from ace Buehrle straight through bullpen slug Porzio. That's disturbing to me--and I bet to several of the guys on the team, too.
Osuna pitched well. He was bumming the A's fans out. "Hey, we didn't score in that inning. That sucks!"

He does look like he's about 47, though. :smile:

doublem23
04-28-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Osuna pitched well. He was bumming the A's fans out. "Hey, we didn't score in that inning. That sucks!"

He does look like he's about 47, though. :smile:

Good ol' Gravel Face. :D: