PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Contribute Most to This Team as the 25th Man?

ChiTownTrojan
04-09-2008, 06:40 PM
We're only a week in, but it seems pretty clear that Ozzie will be going with a set starting 9 more often this season than ever before. We need to keep Ozuna as the backup IF, and I like the way Anderson is being used as a defensive replacement. Ramirez's early struggles against big league pitching lead me to believe that he's better off getting more AB's at Charlotte. So assuming everyone's healthy, who's the best candidate for the 25th roster spot?

I've pondered this question for about a day, and I'm in favor of Josh Fields. He's already slightly proven, so I don't think he'll need the everyday at-bats like Ramirez. And he would be a good option to sub in for Thome against lefties and occassionlly (once/week) spell Crede at 3B to keep his back strong. Also would be a solid power option as a pinch-hitter.

IlliniSox4Life
04-09-2008, 06:46 PM
We're only a week in, but it seems pretty clear that Ozzie will be going with a set starting 9 more often this season than ever before. We need to keep Ozuna as the backup IF, and I like the way Anderson is being used as a defensive replacement. Ramirez's early struggles against big league pitching lead me to believe that he's better off getting more AB's at Charlotte. So assuming everyone's healthy, who's the best candidate for the 25th roster spot?

I've pondered this question for about a day, and I'm in favor of Josh Fields. He's already slightly proven, so I don't think he'll need the everyday at-bats like Ramirez. And he would be a good option to sub in for Thome against lefties and occassionlly (once/week) spell Crede at 3B to keep his back strong. Also would be a solid power option as a pinch-hitter.

I don't see that at all. He's been going with some hot hands for a week or so, nothing more, nothing less.

ChiTownTrojan
04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't see that at all. He's been going with some hot hands for a week or so, nothing more, nothing less.
That's a far cry from the past few years, where he rotates guys in and out based on his gut and trying to keep people fresh.

mzh
04-09-2008, 06:49 PM
That's a far cry from the past few years, where he rotates guys in and out based on his gut and trying to keep people fresh.

After last year, I would not trust Ozzie's gut and go with a fixed strategy.

Billy Ashley
04-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I voted for Ramirez, not because he has the most upside (that's pretty debatable, I think he's more likely to be an ok versatile role player than anything else) but because he looks like he can help out the team in the most ways.

He can play the OF and the infield. With Uribe a offensive hole at second and with Swisher playing out of his natural position (which is more than acceptable for this season), Ramirez gives the White Sox the option to rest a great asset and play match ups with Uribe.

Jjav829
04-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Well, if I'm simply answering the question in the thread title, Fields would be the best option. However, there's no reason to have Fields sitting on the bench. He'd obviously be better served playing everyday in AAA and continuing to work on his game.

TomBradley72
04-09-2008, 07:06 PM
I voted Ramirez. But either Owens or Richar will probably be on this roster eventually....we need some LH balance on the bench.

mzh
04-09-2008, 07:07 PM
I voted for Ramirez, not because he has the most upside (that's pretty debatable, I think he's more likely to be an ok versatile role player than anything else) but because he looks like he can help out the team in the most way.

Ramirez needs to get some swings in every day so he can get used to hitting in America, because the way I see it, Ehron (correct my spelling) Wasserman has no reason to be down in AAA the way he pitched last year.

Billy Ashley
04-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Ramirez needs to get some swings in every day so he can get used to hitting in America, because the way I see it, Ehron (correct my spelling) Wasserman has no reason to be down in AAA the way he pitched last year.

That's a fair point. I would think though with Quentin, Swisher, Dye and Uribe on this team they could find him a lot of at bats by using Ramirez as a super sub.

That said, not all players are well suited for that type of a role and Ramirez could struggle in it.

mzh
04-09-2008, 07:15 PM
That said, not all players are well suited for that type of a role and Ramirez could struggle in it.

Ramirez seems to be the type of player that can adjust to most positions if you give him some time. I'm still nervous about Juan Uribe, and right now unless he starts hitting, Danny Richar has the starting job as far as I'm concerned.

jabrch
04-09-2008, 07:18 PM

It wouldn't surprise me at all given the age/health of some of our guys if he goes back to that as the (long) season progresses.

Billy Ashley
04-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Ramirez seems to be the type of player that can adjust to most positions if you give him some time. I'm still nervous about Juan Uribe, and right now unless he starts hitting, Danny Richar has the starting job as far as I'm concerned.

I don't doubt that athletic ability, I mean the mental aspect of it. Some players need a routine. Julio Lugo went from one of the better short stops in baseball a couple years ago to complete crap after being shifted into a super sub role with the dodgers. He has in the past demonstrated the same versatility that Ramirez supposedly has.

I just worry that asking the man to learn a new culture, language and play several positions a week may be too much. If he can do it though, that would be a huge asset.

mzh
04-09-2008, 07:24 PM
I just worry that asking the man to learn a new culture, language and play several positions a week may be too much. If he can do it though, that would be a huge asset.

Excellent point. Look at Jose Contreras, who, as on of these forums says, just mastered the English Language. He has been up and down with relations with the players, and it really could have affected his pitching ability, which also went up and down. I noticed that he started to tank a little while after Freddy Garcia left, and perhaps having a guy Contreras can relate to might helo both of them.

ChiTownTrojan
04-10-2008, 05:41 AM
Well, if I'm simply answering the question in the thread title, Fields would be the best option. However, there's no reason to have Fields sitting on the bench. He'd obviously be better served playing everyday in AAA and continuing to work on his game.
That could be said about any of these guys - playing every day would definitely help them out. Maybe the exception is Owens, since he'd really just be a speed guy off the bench. But we've already got Ozuna, how valuable would a second speed guy be? Between Ramirez and Fields, it's Ramirez that needs the more consistent playing time. Fields is at the point in his career where he's ready to play in the big leagues, and I think giving him a bench role now and letting him start 2-3 times/week at 3B or DH isn't going to sidetrack his development.

ChiTownTrojan
04-10-2008, 05:53 AM
I voted Ramirez. But either Owens or Richar will probably be on this roster eventually....we need some LH balance on the bench.
Good point, the only lefty options we've got right now are Thome, AJ, and Swisher. I just find it hard to justify Jerry Owens ever getting a start with this team. If he goes in for Quentin, then you've got an 8/9 of Uribe/Owens (ugh). Richar wouldn't be so much of a liability, but he's not an option right now, and he only plays one position, and it's a position where we've got a lot of options. I wouldn't be surprised if Uribe is traded later in the season to some contender who's in need of a SS/2B, to make room for Richar once he gets healthy and ready. Hey, the Orioles are leading the AL East, maybe they'll be that contender? :redneck