PDA

View Full Version : Jimbo's

whitesoxwilkes
04-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Noticed on Monday that a full two years after all the rumblings about it going bye-bye, Jimbo's is still very much open for business. Anyone know if they ever sorted everything out or what?

Chilli Palmer
04-09-2008, 04:16 PM
From what I have heard through neighborhood rumblings is that Joyce and Jim Levato have an agreement with the landlord that enables them to stay open.(probably paying a bigger vig than in the past)

32nd&Wallace
04-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Here's to drinking overpriced cans of domestic beers for many more years:gulp:

jabrch
04-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Can anyone explain the Jimbo's love?

On my list of bars in the neighborhood, it isn't in the top 5.

Boondock Saint
04-09-2008, 04:54 PM
I can buy a six pack for what they charge for a single can of domestic there. I'll pass.

whitesoxwilkes
04-09-2008, 04:55 PM

I sure as **** can't. I hate that ****hole.

Elephant
04-09-2008, 05:00 PM
I've never been there.

MCHSoxFan
04-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Noticed on Monday that a full two years after all the rumblings about it going bye-bye, Jimbo's is still very much open for business. Anyone know if they ever sorted everything out or what?

Since I live in Bridgeport, my father is great friends with the landlord. They said that Jimbos WILL stay. It will not shut down because they could not make enough money if they change it into something else. Hell, I am going there tonight. I love their hot wings! :D:

I_Liked_Manuel
04-09-2008, 05:07 PM
easily the worst burger that i've ever had at a bar. jimbo's makes some of the neighborhood bucktown establishments look nice.

Chilli Palmer
04-09-2008, 05:08 PM
The worst of Bridgeport bars IMO.

MCHSoxFan
04-09-2008, 05:09 PM

I like their food. That is it. I also hang out in the park with my friends there. I also play ball there in the summer/weekends. My favorite bar in ALL of Bridgeport is Schaller's Pump. GET THEIR FRIED CHICKEN!

goon
04-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Never been there or to any other bar around US Cellular.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I did a search for Sox bars on the Northside and one of google's top results was a WSI thread in '05, a lot of people said Nick's Uptown. Can anyone confirm this? I know Realist has some kind of association with the place, I emailed him and he didn't respond.

MCHSoxFan
04-09-2008, 05:12 PM
The worst of Bridgeport bars IMO.

Know way! First Base Bar down the block from me (32nd/Normal. I live at 36th/Normal). That is by you too, right? 31st Shields is like 3 blocks away. Shields, Canal, Normal. Then, 31st street to 32nd street.

Elephant
04-09-2008, 05:13 PM

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I did a search for Sox bars on the Northside and one of google's top results was a WSI thread in '05, a lot of people said Nick's Uptown. Can anyone confirm this? I know Realist has some kind of association with the place, I emailed him and he didn't respond.

Nick's is a typical 4am dive. Really crowded, lots of overserved people, kind of trashy. I've never been there during the day though, like during a game or anything.

Chilli Palmer
04-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Know way! First Base Bar down the block from me (32nd/Normal. I live at 36th/Normal). That is by you too, right? 31st Shields is like 3 blocks away. Shields, Canal, Normal. Then, 31st street to 32nd street.

Thanks for the geography lesson. Yes Free base I mean First Base is bad, but at least their beer prices are reasonable. Its Mitchells or Shinnicks for me if I am drinking in the neighborhood.

Walker29
04-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Jimbo's is an enigma. My buddy and I showed up around 6:30 right after they had stopped letting people in the Bullpen Bar. I guess it had reached capacity. Walked over to Jimbo's and they were pretty much "5 out 1 in", they were also packed. After waiting in line they let us sit in the patio. My question is what's the story with "Punchinello's" is it reopened, renamed? That was my favorite Sox bar. Cobblestone's is a much better pregame experience. Between Schaller's and Shinnick's which one is closer to the redline?

Chilli Palmer
04-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Jimbo's is an enigma. My buddy and I showed up around 6:30 right after they had stopped letting people in the Bullpen Bar. I guess it had reached capacity. Walked over to Jimbo's and they were pretty much "5 out 1 in", they were also packed. After waiting in line they let us sit in the patio. My question is what's the story with "Punchinello's" is it reopened, renamed? That was my favorite Sox bar. Cobblestone's is a much better pregame experience. Between Schaller's and Shinnick's which one is closer to the redline?

Punchinellos is now Jeannes, they were targeting an OD open but you know how those things go. Shinnicks is closer to the Red Line.

twsoxfan5
04-09-2008, 05:18 PM
easily the worst burger that i've ever had at a bar. jimbo's makes some of the neighborhood bucktown establishments look nice.

Whoa, don't drag Bucktown down with your Jimbo's hate.

goon
04-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Nick's is a typical 4am dive. Really crowded, lots of overserved people, kind of trashy. I've never been there during the day though, like during a game or anything.

Yeah, I only want to go there for the games, anyway. I live off Irving Park a block west of Southport, it'd be nice to have a bar to walk to every once in a while that actually had Sox fans. It's a shame really, I'm surrounded by bars everywhere I go.

Cat Thief
04-09-2008, 05:35 PM

How old are you?

Beer Can Chicken
04-09-2008, 05:40 PM

Proximity to the stadium and red line? Other than that, I have no idea why people go there.

I_Liked_Manuel
04-09-2008, 05:53 PM

i think it's fair to say that mickey's and that other bar right by it on leavitt are comparable to jimbo's

chisoxfanatic
04-09-2008, 06:11 PM

I think the love comes more from its proximity to the ballpark than anything else. I agree, it is a horrible establishment with incredibly rude and racist individuals who work there.

hawkjt
04-09-2008, 06:22 PM
So what is the concensus top five pre or post game bars in Sox neighborhood? When I go, we usually take the red line and hit the Bullpen Bar before or after but I have a bigger group coming that will want to hit a bar or two..thanks for the input....PS.Not a huge fan of Jimbos.

chaerulez
04-09-2008, 08:13 PM

What's wrong with Bucktown? :?:

champagne030
04-09-2008, 08:58 PM

A warm and foamy Rhinelander, in an overflowing porto, at the Sunday tailgate of the flubs series, on a 95 degree day, would be a better bar than Jimbo's.

jabrch
04-09-2008, 09:00 PM
So what is the concensus top five pre or post game bars in Sox neighborhood?

Here's mine....

5) Cobblestones...(haven't been there in a while) or Pancho's (if you like a margarita)

4) Ricobene's - more of a hike - but very good food. Worth it if you are very early and want to enjoy dinner.

3) Puffer's (they changed their name and ownership last year - didn't they?)

2) Schaller's Pump - It's got solid food - so I'll go there if I want decent bar food (good corned beef) before I go in. Also they have parking - which is nice

1) Shinnick's - by far the most "friendly" of the lot. Service is solid. Always safe (cops abound). Sidewalk outside is great on a hot summer night. And it is around the corner from the best deal in Bridgeport - "The Hotdog Lady". (wait until she opens up in May....that's the best. If you have a beer or five, they may even give you a temporary parking pass to hang in the area if you ask nicely.

roylestillman
04-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Here's mine....

5) Cobblestones...(haven't been there in a while) or Pancho's (if you like a margarita)

4) Ricobene's - more of a hike - but very good food. Worth it if you are very early and want to enjoy dinner.

2) Schaller's Pump - It's got solid food - so I'll go there if I want decent bar food (good corned beef) before I go in. Also they have parking - which is nice

1) Shinnick's - by far the most "friendly" of the lot. Service is solid. Always safe (cops abound). Sidewalk outside is great on a hot summer night. And it is around the corner from the best deal in Bridgeport - "The Hotdog Lady". (wait until she opens up in May....that's the best. If you have a beer or five, they may even give you a temporary parking pass to hang in the area if you ask nicely.

Wow, exactly my picks down to the hot dog lady - go for the tamale on a bun.

Puffers is now Mitchell's, but I haven't been in there yet.

Cobblestone's has great food and you can park for free if you spend $20.

Redwood on Wallace is creeping on to my list.

Chilli Palmer
04-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Here's mine....

I have yet to go to Cobblestones, Panchos is very very good. Ricobenes is a hike and overpriced. Puffers is now Mitchells and is my # 1 joint in the neighborhood. Still need to pop into Schallers and Shinnicks is right behind Mitchells. Still waiting for Jeannes to open.

Domeshot17
04-09-2008, 11:07 PM
My fiance's mom is throwin our shower at Cobbelstones, awesome place!

TheCommander
04-09-2008, 11:14 PM
How old are you?

I was doing a double take because I could have sworn he was in high school.

fed ex 4 pasqua
04-10-2008, 01:43 AM
"The Hotdog Lady". (wait until she opens up in May....that's the best. If you have a beer or five, they may even give you a temporary parking pass to hang in the area if you ask nicely.
Her name is Bev. She'll give half dollars in change rather than two quarters. And her sport peppers are reminiscent of the merciless peppers of Quetzlzacatenango, grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum.

russ99
04-10-2008, 07:49 AM
i think it's fair to say that mickey's and that other bar right by it on leavitt are comparable to jimbo's

Mickey's is an icon, just like Jimbo's, though I'm not saying I frequent either, or other similar Bucktown establishents like the former Rich's First One Today or the Web Pub.

That's the beauty of Bucktown, there are so many good bars like Charleston, Map Room, Lemmings, Danny's, etc. that you don't really have to frequent those places.

My Sox bar of choice is Mitchell's. Mainly because they have good beer (not a warm can of Old Style like Jimbo's) a cornhole set in the back yard, and it's not too far from my semi-regular post-game shopping spot, Grandstand.

The former Punchinello's is intriguing since it's close to the red line, and I don't have to take the Halsted bus back north.

WhiffleBall
04-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Schaller's has great food and can be a lot of fun but it is more of a restaurant then a fun bar. What is nice about Schaller's is that you can get a reasonably priced/tasty meal (ribs & corned beef are very good), drinks, and then get a "to go" cup of your favorite libation for the 4 or 5 block walk to the ballpark plus they let you park for free.

We went to Mitchell's and Skylark after the Opener. It was my first experience with both. Mitchell's is your standard "fun" bar. Mostly twentysomethings, loud music, fun atmosphere, and a fairly large beer garden. Skylark is at 20th & Halsted so it is not really a Sox bar but it is definitely worth checking out. It's in one of those old building that you can just feel the history (same goes for Schaller's which used to be a speakeasy). I was surprised that Skylark served slightly upscale bar food. It reminded me of the rainbow club with a little green mill thrown in. It also had a nice crowd for a Monday night with only a few post-opener sox fans. Getting a cab from there can be a chore but it is worth a visit.

I_Liked_Manuel
04-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Mickey's is an icon, just like Jimbo's, though I'm not saying I frequent either, or other similar Bucktown establishents like the former Rich's First One Today or the Web Pub.

That's the beauty of Bucktown, there are so many good bars like Charleston, Map Room, Lemmings, Danny's, etc. that you don't really have to frequent those places.

just so i can be clear on this, since a few people have mentioned it - i have no problem with bucktown. to deny that some of those bars are dumps though, would be a mistake.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Here's mine....

Would it be possible to use an online map and list the businesses with their proximity to the Cell? Maybe it could be stuck on the board somewhere?

skottyj242
04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Cobblestones has the best Italian sausage I have ever had.

rdwj
04-10-2008, 10:25 AM

I love the Muffalettas! Makes me hungry just thinking about them.

I like Cobblestones and Schaller's Pump because of the parking. I sometimes eat at Schaller's Pump and head to Mitchell's for post-game too. Are there any decent parking options for the other bars mentioned here besides begging for a pass? I'd like to give the other non-Jimbo's places a shot, but I need to park somewhere.

I'm also excited to see another hot-dog cart option. There used to be a really good cart on Parnell, but it's not there anymore.

alohafri
04-10-2008, 10:30 AM

I haven't been to the 'stones since we started getting parking passes. I have a few games with no parking this year. I may have to go back. Does anyone know if Jimmy still works there?

rdwj
04-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Does anyone know if Jimmy still works there?

He does not work there anymore

alohafri
04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
He does not work there anymore

Bummer! We've had some great times back in the day when he was the only guy working in the place...which may be why he no longer works there. :cool:

kninchicago
04-10-2008, 12:04 PM

Realist used to bartend there but he left a while back.

Bucktown has some nicer bars for beer (like the Map Room etc) but that's about it. I'm living there currently, leaving at the end of the month :bandance:

jabrch
04-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Her name is Bev. She'll give half dollars in change rather than two quarters. And her sport peppers are reminiscent of the merciless peppers of Quetzlzacatenango, grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum.

Two dogs, loaded, with sport peppers...to go please...thank you!!!! That's my least favorite thing about April games - Bev's garage isn't yet open.

thegooch
04-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Proximity to the stadium and red line? Other than that, I have no idea why people go there.

That's the exact reason. It is a convenient place for people taking the red line to the game to meet. Espeially now that the 33rd exit is now open.

Jimbo is a pretty nice guy too. Last night he gave my brother a parking pass that is good for the entire year.

The place is a dump and the beer is overpriced, but there is no place closer to the stadium to meet.

What we need are some taverns east of the red line.

MCHSoxFan
04-10-2008, 05:22 PM
I was doing a double take because I could have sworn he was in high school.

Yes. Yes I am. 10th grade.

Chilli Palmer
04-10-2008, 05:44 PM
That's the exact reason. It is a convenient place for people taking the red line to the game to meet. Espeially now that the 33rd exit is now open.

Jimbo is a pretty nice guy too. Last night he gave my brother a parking pass that is good for the entire year.

The place is a dump and the beer is overpriced, but there is no place closer to the stadium to meet.

What we need are some taverns east of the red line.

Jimbo shouldnt be handing out guest parking passes. Thats a big no-no in the eyes of the city.

jabrch
04-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Jimbo shouldnt be handing out guest parking passes. Thats a big no-no in the eyes of the city.

Nor should any bar in the neighborhood. Find me one that doesn't.

dwalteroo
04-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I only want to go there for the games, anyway. I live off Irving Park a block west of Southport, it'd be nice to have a bar to walk to every once in a while that actually had Sox fans. It's a shame really, I'm surrounded by bars everywhere I go.

You must live like 2 minutes from me. I can't find a Sox bar in Lakeview to save my life. I watched one of the '05 playoff games at what was Lucky Strike at 2800 Lincoln (unsure if it changed to that name or from it). But yeah, otherwise I'm the guy asking them to change the TV in a room full of Cubs fans...not the best.

Anyone know of a Lakeview Sox bar? Or is that like asking for an ice cube in hell?

BainesHOF
04-12-2008, 01:19 AM
Where's the love for Catcher's?

I_Liked_Manuel
04-13-2008, 06:18 PM
You must live like 2 minutes from me. I can't find a Sox bar in Lakeview to save my life. I watched one of the '05 playoff games at what was Lucky Strike at 2800 Lincoln (unsure if it changed to that name or from it). But yeah, otherwise I'm the guy asking them to change the TV in a room full of Cubs fans...not the best.

Anyone know of a Lakeview Sox bar? Or is that like asking for an ice cube in hell?

it's not really lakeview - but kincade's on armitage/sheffield always has the sox game on. clybar on marshfield/clybourn will always put it on as well - the owner's a sox fan.

NADA SURF
04-13-2008, 06:49 PM

Just like everything else pertaining to baseball the past 25 years or so, they seem to gouge the fans. I paid like $5 for a Corona there prior to a game last season. I'm buying a flask.

ThePopeDonnPall
04-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi all! Long time browser, first time poster (haha)

I have a question. I'm heading up for my first game of the season tomorrow and was wondering if Jimbo's is still open. I heard rumors last year that it was closing down and was wondering if that happened. I'd like to hit up the ole' place before the game if it's still there :gulp:

Ragator43
04-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Don't know about any of the legal stuff, but the bar is still open.

sullythered
04-13-2008, 09:35 PM

Completely agree.

RadioheadRocks
04-13-2008, 09:44 PM

I have a question. I'm heading up for my first game of the season tomorrow and was wondering if Jimbo's is still open. I heard rumors last year that it was closing down and was wondering if that happened. I'd like to hit up the ole' place before the game if it's still there :gulp:

:welcome:

Oh, and Donn Pall does it all!

ThePopeDonnPall
04-13-2008, 10:54 PM
:welcome:

Oh, and Donn Pall does it all!

Thanks, and radiohead does indeed rock! Oasis is better though :smile:

32nd&Wallace
04-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Where's the love for Catcher's?Catcher's Rules! There are no parking restrictions west of Halstead, the people are really nice and the beer is affordable. No food, though, but I reccommend walking down 35th towards O'Malleys.

cubhater
04-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Catcher's Rules! There are no parking restrictions west of Halstead, the people are really nice and the beer is affordable. No food, though, but I reccommend walking down 35th towards O'Malleys.

There's a few, but they end at Morgan.

Foulke You
04-16-2008, 12:24 PM

Again, this isn't Lakeview, but it isn't too far from there in the Ravenswood area: "The Rail" at 4709 N Damen Ave is pretty Sox friendly. It used to be named something else and they called themselves "The Official North Side Sox Bar". When the new owners took over, they changed the name to The Rail but they still seem to cater to a lot of Sox fans. I used to work in that area a couple years ago and they always had the Sox games on plenty of screens and there were lots of Sox fans there. Don't expect it to be all Sox though. There will still be blue clad followers that go there too.

areilly
04-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Again, this isn't Lakeview, but it isn't too far from there in the Ravenswood area: "The Rail" at 4709 N Damen Ave is pretty Sox friendly. It used to be named something else and they called themselves "The Official North Side Sox Bar". When the new owners took over, they changed the name to The Rail but they still seem to cater to a lot of Sox fans. I used to work in that area a couple years ago and they always had the Sox games on plenty of screens and there were lots of Sox fans there. Don't expect it to be all Sox though. There will still be blue clad followers that go there too.

It was Simply Ray's Pub and Grub. Best Sox bar ever.

ChiSox Fan 68
04-16-2008, 11:14 PM
We go to Jimbo's after the game very often. The main reason is that we take the Red Line to the game and like to let the crowd die down before we head home. It seems like we are in the Bullpen Bar for about 10 seconds before they start kicking everyone out. So, we walk a few block to Jimbo's and can stay as long as we want before heading to the L. By no means is it a nice bar and I'm not thrilled about the cans o' beer, but I don't see many other options for the L riders. If there was another bar in walking distance, I would definitely check it out.

redsand22
04-17-2008, 10:57 AM
I 2nd this!

sti3
04-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Fixed it for you.
It was Simply Ray's Pub and Grub. Best bar ever.

kninchicago
04-17-2008, 11:20 AM
I have yet to find a Northside Sox bar myself, but I'd love to that's for sure.

jenn2080
04-17-2008, 11:28 AM

Finley Dunnes. It isnt that far from where you are moving either.

Chilli Palmer
04-17-2008, 11:30 AM

Did you not read this thread?

kninchicago
04-17-2008, 11:36 AM

Get out, I've been there before but in the offseason so I didn't know. I will have to check it out.

spiffie
04-17-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't know that I would call it a Sox bar, but every time I ever went to Daily Bar and Grill during baseball season there were plenty of Sox hats and the Sox game always on the tv.

skottyj242
04-17-2008, 01:38 PM

Seven Ten on Lincoln is very Sox friendly. They have drink and food specials while the Sox are playing.

D. TODD
04-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Catcher's Rules! There are no parking restrictions west of Halstead, the people are really nice and the beer is affordable. No food, though, but I reccommend walking down 35th towards O'Malleys. I second that! Just a neighborhood type joint and the walk is no problem from there.

russ99
04-17-2008, 03:01 PM

I'm addicted to their free popcorn.

Simply Ray's may have been a good Sox bar, but it was a simply awful Karaoke bar.

Mitchell's used to be Puffers. Overall upgrade in my book.

NADA SURF
04-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Both those bands are great...Nada Surf is along the same lines and even better in my book.Thanks, and radiohead does indeed rock! Oasis is better though :smile: