PDA

View Full Version : Core of the Core Oakland, Part II, Aug 15 Owner's Suite

ode to veeck
04-09-2008, 02:43 PM
A's group sales contact just informed me that the owner's suite is available for a very limited # of home dates this year, including Sox at A's, 7:05PM, Friday, Aug 15th. This is somewhat different than the 18 person skybox we booked 2 years ago in that it is about twice the size, much closer to the diamond, and is a single all-included package that includes great parking and all food & bev. For 36 people its about $140 a pop (flat $5k fee):

We’ve just been given the approval to offer the owners suite to the public for a game out here this summer. This is really a great deal that includes the following:

36 tickets in an infield suite above the 1st base bag
12 parking passes
Extensive high end food package including: appetizers, salads, sandwiches, sausages, prime rib, desserts, sodas, beer & wine
36 Hats & 36 programsIf enough WSIers and their associated fellow Sox fans are interested, we might consider this unusual opportunity for having a big WSI get together in a special setting. If we manage to pull it off, I'll commit to also doing BBQ for the pre-pre-game tailgating (last time we had pulled pork off my smoker). What I need to know ASAP is how many folks would be interested in participating, as I think these owners suites dates go pretty quick. If we start to get decent enough WSI and Sox fans numbers to make it close, I can close with the A's office and move forward.

(can a mod stick this for now?)

ode to veeck
04-09-2008, 03:00 PM
LOL, *** are we gonna do with 36 A's hats though?!

Boondock Saint
04-09-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm definately interested, but don't put me down for a guarantee yet. Gotta make some calls.

voodoochile
04-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Every time the Sox score a run, toss one to the masses. By the end of the 5th inning you'll have the Oakland faithful rooting for the Sox to score...:D:

MarySwiss
04-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Damn, this is tempting! Too soon to commit, though. It's the logistics of the trip to Oakland that's throwing me. Still, who knows?

04-09-2008, 07:19 PM
My wife and I went to the COC Oakland when we got the box 2 years ago.

We've moved to the San Diego area now so getting up to SF is more of a challange. How about this... If you get 35 people committed than mark me down as #36 and I will plan a business trip out of that week well in advance to surround that weekend.

manders_01
04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Damn, this is tempting! Too soon to commit, though. It's the logistics of the trip to Oakland that's throwing me. Still, who knows?

I'm right there with ya Mary. This sounds wwwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyy fun. :bandance:

Ode, any thoughts on payment (when and how)?

All, any thoughts on hotels, more than one game (although in the box only one game), etc.?

CLR01
04-09-2008, 11:48 PM

No white shoes? :(:

MarySwiss
04-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Ode, like Amanda, I'd be interested in getting the names of a few hotels near the stadium. At least I think I would; what's the area around the stadium like? Also, what's public transit like? Would we need to rent cars?

Enquiring minds want to know. :D:

ode to veeck
04-10-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm right there with ya Mary. This sounds wwwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyy fun. :bandance:

Ode, any thoughts on payment (when and how)?

All, any thoughts on hotels, more than one game (although in the box only one game), etc.?

if we do this, I'd have to put the $5k down pretty quick with the A's and then I'd like payments as soon as possible from committed folks -- I don't think the owner's box availability stays open for long--key for me to do this would be to start getting some decent #s on attendees - I might be good for an easy 10 or so just with local family and friends (all Sox fans) but am checking with a wider range of folks to see what numbers show interest

with the possibility that at least a few might be traveling, picking a common hotel might be a good idea, there's plenty of decent and real cheap ones near the park in Oakland, but there's lots of nicer areas to stay in, e.g., Berkeley, SF, or even the near south end of the wine country could be nice (and not too far)--I think it would depend on a consensus for those considering travel where they'd like to mingle and a price range. I can reccommend a decent place in SF just under 100 with fairly nice rooms and the famous Palace sometimes has great promotional rates ~130 (which is ~1/2 or even much less the equivalent hotels in its class)

other games that weekend and more tailgating are a distinct possibility as well, as one nice thing about Oakland is tickets are always easy to find. The A's prices while up a little in the last couple of years (MVP seats used to be just 25 a couple years back, now 40-50 ea), they're still cheaper than many other parks, and you can even get them under face value often day of the game.

I have a contact for Diamond Boxes (A's equivalent of scouts seats with access to players walkway and VIP parking) that I can check with to see if any are avail for Sat or Sun. Face value is $225/ea includes parking and food and bev and program and promotional items. At most you could likely find a pair or two for the other games (there's only like 20-30 seats total in this section right behind the plate)

Unfortunately for me, I am already committed to playing in a multi-club tennis tournament we're hosting Saturday and Sunday during the day as well as organizing all the food (breakfast and lunch for ~100 Sat / Sun). I might be able to also make Saturday night's game, but that's a stretch and Sunday is definitely out for me

ode to veeck
04-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Ode, like Amanda, I'd be interested in getting the names of a few hotels near the stadium. At least I think I would; what's the area around the stadium like? Also, what's public transit like? Would we need to rent cars?

Enquiring minds want to know. :D:

Area around the park is OK in terms of being able to find a decent hotel, but pretty crappy for tourists otherwise. Nicer parts of Oakland are downtown, Jack London Square , Lake Merritt, and the Oakland east hills, though much fewer hotels in the later two areas. Berkeley is close, SF isn't that far (20 min by car, pending bridge traffic).

Public transport is very good to games via BART which can get you anywhere in East Bay, SF, and down peninsula as far as San Mateo (including SFO), but not to south bay or wine country.

Flying in, often Oakland airport can be cheaper for flights (though limited vs SF or SJ) and sometimes cheaper for rent-a-cars and is really close to A's. Parking is free at the BART lot at the stadium, about 10 minute walk via overhead walkway; when driving, we often park there for games when not tailgating as there's no parking fee.

ode to veeck
04-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Every time the Sox score a run, toss one to the masses. By the end of the 5th inning you'll have the Oakland faithful rooting for the Sox to score...:D:

LOL and be out of hats by the 7th as the Sox romp ... or get the dubious honor of being ejected from the owner's boxes

voodoochile
04-10-2008, 09:46 AM
LOL and be out of hats by the 7th as the Sox romp ... or get the dubious honor of being ejected from the owner's boxes

Either way, sol good...

Just a suggestion. I assume you have some contacts in the hospitality industry based on your love of wining and dining. You might want to contact one of those people and see if they can put you in touch with a hotel sales rep. Then you might be able to get a block of rooms reserved at a discount price for the out of towners to book. Sometimes as little as 10 room block will get you a discount.

MarySwiss
04-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Voodoo, you were reading my mind! I did some online browsing, and the hotel rates seem to vary between $80-$150, depending. But since I don't know Oakland, I have no idea what that means (other than you probably get a nicer room for more money, of course--although that's not always true, either.)

Also, right now Southwest is offering pretty cheap airfares. At least from Phoenix.

ode to veeck
04-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Either way, sol good...

Just a suggestion. I assume you have some contacts in the hospitality industry based on your love of wining and dining. You might want to contact one of those people and see if they can put you in touch with a hotel sales rep. Then you might be able to get a block of rooms reserved at a discount price for the out of towners to book. Sometimes as little as 10 room block will get you a discount.

you don't need the contacts in general to work this, usually just a need for about some block of room nights to get some kind of price break. the hard part is the Bay Area is pricey in general as its both a hot biz destination and just about #1 tourist spot in lower 48, but as I said, I know of a couple decent hotels centrally located in SF with nice rooms ~100 and if there was a block, I assume we could at least lower it a little , my contacts are mostly elsewhere in the western cities as the shows I managed always chose elsewhere because of price and other show costs (room nights higher plus higher show costs on labor vs other markets in the west)

I think we can assume we'd be able to find a decent common hotel and work a lower price, the harder part at this point is getting anywhere near numbers of interested folks to go for the box while it remains available --- not sure how long it will be but as I've already shown interest, my A's contact will likely contact me before someone else takes that date (there were only ~10 dates avail total),

when it comes down to it on hotel, folks wold need to decide on preferred location (i) near the park (ii) downtown/JLQ (iii) SF (iv) nearby wine country (v) other, eg. downtown Walnut Creek is nice, similar to Scottsdale, ~20 min by BART or car etc

ode to veeck
04-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Voodoo, you were reading my mind! I did some online browsing, and the hotel rates seem to vary between $80-$150, depending. But since I don't know Oakland, I have no idea what that means (other than you probably get a nicer room for more money, of course--although that's not always true, either.)

Also, right now Southwest is offering pretty cheap airfares. At least from Phoenix.

I think we could find a small block of "nicer" rooms at the lower end of that price range (80-100 max) in any of the areas mentioned, nicer being clean, nice beds, etc but not luxury--I could help scope out if we get to that point

ode to veeck
04-10-2008, 12:47 PM
unless we get a lot of interest pretty quickly though, we'll probably miss the chance, as nearly 1/2 the dates got bought in just the first day of their availability

TDog
04-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm intrigued. I was planning on taking the BART to see the Sox that weekend. I don't know if work would get in the way of a Friday night game, and, in truth, $140 is a lot to see a baseball game.

MarySwiss
04-10-2008, 01:42 PM
unless we get a lot of interest pretty quickly though, we'll probably miss the chance, as nearly 1/2 the dates got bought in just the first day of their availability

I'm in, Ode. Please let me know ASAP if it's a go, so I can jump on the cheap airfare (and send you a check).

ode to veeck
04-10-2008, 03:06 PM
well, the owner's box went in the last couple of hours, but there are 18 and 20 seat luxury boxes available for that date, with infield location available on a 20 seater. I am checking prices. With these, we have different options on food and bev packages. I can't remeber what it came to last time (ticket plus the food & bev package), but I expect is is likely a little less than owner's suite/

MarySwiss
04-10-2008, 03:19 PM
well, the owner's box went in the last couple of hours, but there are 18 and 20 seat luxury boxes available for that date, with infield location available on a 20 seater. I am checking prices. With these, we have different options on food and bev packages. I can't remeber what it came to last time (ticket plus the food & bev package), but I expect is is likely a little less than owner's suite/
Drat! Well, I doubt I'd be interested; the owner's box deal sounded so sweet.

Thanks for trying anyway, Ode!

ode to veeck
04-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Drat! Well, I doubt I'd be interested; the owner's box deal sounded so sweet.

Thanks for trying anyway, Ode!

I think the biggest difference is just the size of the box, another smaller one inside the baselines would be nearly as good, and has similar F&B packages avail

ode to veeck
04-10-2008, 04:20 PM
The 20 seat suite is $1700 ($85 each) and would be above the infield, similar to west side club or owner's suite. Figure another 20-30/person depending on food and bev packages we pick. The suite also includes a handful of parking passes and there's also an option to pick up at least a couple or a few more "standing room only" passes (a pretty good deal since not everyone is seated the whole time typically). If I remember correclty the 20 seaters also have a private bathroom too.

MarySwiss
04-10-2008, 05:52 PM
The 20 seat suite is $1700 ($85 each) and would be above the infield, similar to west side club or owner's suite. Figure another 20-30/person depending on food and bev packages we pick. The suite also includes a handful of parking passes and there's also an option to pick up at least a couple or a few more "standing room only" passes (a pretty good deal since not everyone is seated the whole time typically). If I remember correclty the 20 seaters also have a private bathroom too.

Hmmm. Well, I was getting kind of pumped about the owner's box deal, so this might still be fun. I'd want to know more about the food/bev package, though. For example, is it like a buffet that's set up for the whole game (or most of it) or is it more like the patio party thing at the Cell where it's all pre-game? If it's for the whole game, I'd probably still be up for it.

Thanks, Ode!

ode to veeck
04-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Hmmm. Well, I was getting kind of pumped about the owner's box deal, so this might still be fun. I'd want to know more about the food/bev package, though. For example, is it like a buffet that's set up for the whole game (or most of it) or is it more like the patio party thing at the Cell where it's all pre-game? If it's for the whole game, I'd probably still be up for it.

Thanks, Ode!

It's a buffet that's set up before the game and left out in the suite for the entirety. I'm looking to get an e-copy of the choices

I asked to see what options we had for choice suites for Firday or Saturday (since it might actually be easier for folks for Saturday for travelers.)

MarySwiss
04-11-2008, 07:37 AM
It's a buffet that's set up before the game and left out in the suite for the entirety. I'm looking to get an e-copy of the choices

I asked to see what options we had for choice suites for Firday or Saturday (since it might actually be easier for folks for Saturday for travelers.)

Okay, sounds good to me. And thanks for doing all this extra work, Ode. :smile:

MarySwiss
04-11-2008, 06:28 PM

Damn! Southwest must have heard the rumblings. They went up $4 each way since yesterday. :D:

LoveYourSuit
04-14-2008, 10:00 PM
This would be very fun at a location other than Oakland....that stadium is a dump.

Anyone else have connections about putting a suite deal at a nice park?

TDog
04-15-2008, 01:21 AM
This would be very fun at a location other than Oakland....that stadium is a dump.

Anyone else have connections about putting a suite deal at a nice park?

McAfee doesn't smell of urine the way a few of the older parks do. When I'm watching a baseball game, I'm not looking at the scenery. When I go to a baseball game, I'm watching the game. If I'm there with friends, I'm enjoying the company. I'm not obsessing over the scenery.

Ode has gone to the trouble to organize a WSI get-together in his neighborhood. He should be commended. I've been to better stadiums than McAfee, but certainly, a WSI party would improve the McAfee experience.

MarySwiss
04-15-2008, 08:24 AM
McAfee doesn't smell of urine the way a few of the older parks do. When I'm watching a baseball game, I'm not looking at the scenery. When I go to a baseball game, I'm watching the game. If I'm there with friends, I'm enjoying the company. I'm not obsessing over the scenery.

Ode has gone to the trouble to organize a WSI get-together in his neighborhood. He should be commended. I've been to better stadiums than McAfee, but certainly, a WSI party would improve the McAfee experience.

Well said, TDog. Having organized a few patio parties back in the day when I was still in Chicago, let me tell you there is a certain amount of work involved; people saying yes, they're going; no they're not, yes, they are; collecting the money can be like pulling teeth, etc.

Whether this comes off or not, I appreciate the effort Ode's putting in.

ode to veeck
04-15-2008, 09:27 AM
I am going to put in for a 20 seater for the Saturday game.

Who's in? It will be $115/ea. including food and a few parking passes will be available. Last I checked there was a nice suite still avail over 3rd base.

MarySwiss
04-15-2008, 10:12 AM
I am going to put in for a 20 seater for the Saturday game.

Who's in? It will be $115/ea. including food and a few parking passes will be available. Last I checked there was a nice suite still avail over 3rd base.

Does that include beverages as well? You know, like beer. :gulp:

If so, I'm in.

ode to veeck
04-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Does that include beverages as well? You know, like beer. :gulp:

If so, I'm in.

The answer is yes if you're 21 or over, otherwise H2O or soda pop with no free refills

MarySwiss
04-15-2008, 04:12 PM
The answer is yes if you're 21 or over, otherwise H2O or soda pop with no free refills

You know damn well I'm over 21! :smile:

Okay, deal me in. If you let me know when it's a done deal, I'll book my flights.

Hey, TDog! It's a Saturday game, so how about it? :cool:

Edit: Sheesh! I almost forgot! Ode, PM me your address so I can send you a check.

TDog
04-15-2008, 04:30 PM
You know damn well I'm over 21! :smile:

Okay, deal me in. If you let me know when it's a done deal, I'll book my flights.

Hey, TDog! It's a Saturday game, so how about it? :cool:

Edit: Sheesh! I almost forgot! Ode, PM me your address so I can send you a check.

The price is a little steep. I expect to be going to the game anyway. I'll see what I can do.

MarySwiss
04-15-2008, 04:49 PM
The price is a little steep. I expect to be going to the game anyway. I'll see what I can do.

Awwww, c'mon! We get our own john! :cool:

ode to veeck
04-17-2008, 08:57 AM
We have the option for suite #22 for Saturdays game (8/16), just two doors down from Westside Club above Sox dugout on 1st base side, great viewing and much better than we had 2 years ago (when we were a ways farther down 1st base side)

MarySwiss
04-17-2008, 11:03 AM
We have the option for suite #22 for Saturdays game (8/16), just two doors down from Westside Club above Sox dugout on 1st base side, great viewing and much better than we had 2 years ago (when we were a ways farther down 1st base side)

Sounds great! Is it definite? In case you don't have enough people, I'm checking with the Sox fan who owns one of the local sports bars to see if he and his wife would be up for it.

toledosoxfan
04-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Ode,

Is there enough interest to pull this off? I'm in for 2 people.

MarySwiss
04-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Ode,

Is there enough interest to pull this off? I'm in for 2 people.

Well, I cannot believe the way the fares are rising. When we first started talking about this, I could book SW for $99 each way. Now it'd cost me about $250--if I fly in the middle of the night. That's insane for a weekend four months out. That's more than I'm paying to fly into Chicago Memorial Day weekend. I really wanted to do this, but sorry, Ode. Deal me out.

TDog
04-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Well, I cannot believe the way the fares are rising. When we first started talking about this, I could book SW for $99 each way. Now it'd cost me about $250--if I fly in the middle of the night. That's insane for a weekend four months out. That's more than I'm paying to fly into Chicago Memorial Day weekend. I really wanted to do this, but sorry, Ode. Deal me out.

Mary, this morning I found tickets available at $171 round trip. You would leave Sky Harbor at 7:27 a.m. Saturday on US Airways -- but not on a 727, ironically enough. You would have to change planes in Ontario, but you would still arrive in San Francisco via United at 11:06 a.m. Your flight home would be nonstop United, leaving at 1:06 Sunday. There is only one ticket left at this price, but there are more that would put into San Francisco at 2:36 p.m. If you just want a basic room for the night, hotels near the airport start at $65 a night. I'm not sure what the BART fare is to the ballpark in Oakland, but the train has a stop in the airport as well as in front of the stadium.

If you wanted to stay for the Sunday game and leave Monday, you would not only increase the cost of your hotel bill, but your airfare would increase to $205 nonstop ($203 with the one stop in Ontario on your way out).

ode to veeck
04-23-2008, 01:11 PM
between less than stellar commits on numbers and more importantly, other schedule issues for me that weekend, I am not going to close on the contract with the A's for the suite this time around. I will have a hard time attending even one of the games, so its just not going to work for me.

Mods: feel free to unstick the thread unfortunately

MarySwiss
04-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Mary, this morning I found tickets available at $171 round trip. You would leave Sky Harbor at 7:27 a.m. Saturday on US Airways -- but not on a 727, ironically enough. You would have to change planes in Ontario, but you would still arrive in San Francisco via United at 11:06 a.m. Your flight home would be nonstop United, leaving at 1:06 Sunday. There is only one ticket left at this price, but there are more that would put into San Francisco at 2:36 p.m. If you just want a basic room for the night, hotels near the airport start at $65 a night. I'm not sure what the BART fare is to the ballpark in Oakland, but the train has a stop in the airport as well as in front of the stadium.

If you wanted to stay for the Sunday game and leave Monday, you would not only increase the cost of your hotel bill, but your airfare would increase to $205 nonstop ($203 with the one stop in Ontario on your way out).
Thanks for the info, TDOg. I appreciate it.

between less than stellar commits on numbers and more importantly, other schedule issues for me that weekend, I am not going to close on the contract with the A's for the suite this time around. I will have a hard time attending even one of the games, so its just not going to work for me.

Mods: feel free to unstick the thread unfortunately

Well, I'm sorry this didn't work out. It really sounded like fun, but when I started looking at more than $500 to go see a ball game--figuring hotel, airfare, meals, etc.--that was a little too much. Thanks for all the work you did on this, Ode.

ugould305
04-25-2008, 07:48 AM
:spam

ode to veeck
04-25-2008, 11:21 AM
:spam

banning imminent

voodoochile
04-25-2008, 11:49 AM
banning imminent

Next time, report the post. Spam that is internal to an established thread is the toughest to find.

Whatever you do, don't quote the spam, it just doubles the work load of the mod who has to clean it up...