spawn
04-09-2008, 03:16 PM
From the article:

Nick "Dirty 30" Swisher

Hmm...I kinda like that one!

scarsofthumper
04-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Great article!!!

I think our outfield is the best we've had in quite a few years.

tick53
04-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Nice article, I like Carlos and I hope he's the real deal.

harwar
04-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Nothings stirs my blood more than a great throw from the outfield.
An outfielder with a great arm who can also get on base.
I hope that he may be the one i've been waiting for.

WSox597
04-12-2008, 07:27 PM
You have to like the outfield as it's set up right now. Swisher is playing CF better than anybody thought he would.

Quentin looks very good in LF. Even Dye is showing some flashes.

Anderson for late innings if needed. I wonder what will happen to Owens when he gets off the DL. Certainly he isn't better than anybody I just mentioned.

In any phase of the game, except speed. And as many have said, you can't steal first base.

BRDSR
04-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Even Dye is showing some flashes.

Have to disagree there. I think Dye's outfield abilities have declined considerably since he's come to the White Sox. I think the flashes you've seen are plays he would have made look easy in the past, and he's missed some balls he would have gotten in years past because he's a half step slower than he used to be.

That said, I don't fault the guy; he's getting older. The only time he's made a downright bonehead move this season that I can recall is when he didn't move off a ball that Swisher had called for and they both dropped it. I assume he still has a cannon for an arm, too.

I would call the outfield defense better than average, maybe good, but not great. It might be on par with the 2005 outfield defense of Podsednik (bad), Rowand (good), and Dye (when he was playing at a gold-glove caliber).

DrCrawdad
04-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Have to disagree there. I think Dye's outfield abilities have declined considerably since he's come to the White Sox. I think the flashes you've seen are plays he would have made look easy in the past, and he's missed some balls he would have gotten in years past because he's a half step slower than he used to be.

I thought Dye should have caught the first (and only) hit against Floyd gave up today.

Tragg
04-13-2008, 12:56 AM
I thought Dye should have caught the first (and only) hit against Floyd gave up today.
I don't know if Dye could have caught it, but many outfielders could have.
Re the comment below, Swisher had Dye perfectly backed-up, so it wasn't going to be a double even if it got past Dye. But I'm not sure Dye diving for balls is advisable for his health.

jabrch
04-13-2008, 12:56 AM

In a 1-0 game, he has to keep that ball in front of him, no hitter or not.

I don't see how he could have caught that ball given the jump he got and the legs he had. Maybe a GG caliber RF gets it. But JD isn't that.

Zook 'Em
04-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Have to disagree there. I think Dye's outfield abilities have declined considerably since he's come to the White Sox. I think the flashes you've seen are plays he would have made look easy in the past, and he's missed some balls he would have gotten in years past because he's a half step slower than he used to be.Jermaine still does some things good out there. He usually moves pretty well on balls hit to right center, and he gets rid of the ball quickly. Going back, though, he's an adventure at this point.

As far as the Sox outfield as a whole, I like the way it's setting up offensively and defensively, even though JD's no longer what he once was in the field. Swisher's been a very pleasant surprise with his glove, and I nearly had an orgasm after Quentin's throw to first at Detroit.

chisox77
04-14-2008, 04:06 PM
And as many have said, you can't steal first base.[/quote]

AJ did that once.

:D:

doublem23
04-14-2008, 04:19 PM
AJ did that once.

:D:

I can't believe no one's brought this up yet, but the ump behind the plate during Game 2 of the ALCS was Doug Eddings... The same ump who Miggy ran into yesterday.

Conspiracy!

ChiSoxPatF
04-14-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't know if anyone else sees it, but Carlos Quentin looks (mechanically) like a young Magglio Ordonez. Physically he looks like an unroided Jose Conseco, but watching his swing and his throws in the outfield he reminds me of a young Magglio. I hope he can follow suit.

hawkjt
04-14-2008, 07:17 PM
I don't know if anyone else sees it, but Carlos Quentin looks (mechanically) like a young Magglio Ordonez. Physically he looks like an unroided Jose Conseco, but watching his swing and his throws in the outfield he reminds me of a young Magglio. I hope he can follow suit.

Actually, I think his swing is the spitting image of Canseco also. Maggs was much more of a all-field swing...Carlos looks to pull everything like Canseco.

But I like him...I do not see him hitting for high average like maggs but then again..maggs is exceptional. Carlos will not hit for average maybe but he will have some power...so far so good.

DrCrawdad
04-14-2008, 11:01 PM

It's funny you mention this, I've been thinking Quentin's approach at the plate and swing reminds me of Canseco.