PDA

View Full Version : Baseball History Game:

Billy Ashley
04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
The Clemente thread has gotten a ton of attention so it would seem that the posters here have an interest in baseball history. As a result, I propose a game. Rather a tournament, in order to see who we feel is the greatest position player of all time.

This week well take nominations. Next week, Ill randomly place each nomination into groupings of 2 and well vote to see which on passes onto the next week.

For example, lets say the nominations incluse: Walt Wiess, Darren Bragg, Otis Nixon and Babe Ruth. The next week wed see a post that would look like the following:

Bragg v Nixon
Ruth v Wiess
Id encourage posters to make arguments as to why they picked who, but that wouldnt be required.

Anyway, my nominations:

Ted Williams, Barry Bonds, Joe Morgan

(PS: If you think this is a stupid idea, and it very well may be, please dont say so. Just let the thread die)

Billy Ashley
04-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Rickey Henderson - lead off hitter (LF)
Roberto Alomar - 2nd base
A-Rod - SS
Mike Schmidt -3rd base
Lou Gehrig - 1st base
Mickey Mantle CF ( being aswitch hitter gives him my edge over Willie)
Ted Williams RF
Johnny Bench - catcher
Babe Ruth - DH (if no DH is allowed -Babe is my RF)

SP 5 man rotation
Spahn
Mathewson
Koufax
Walter Johnson
Carlton

bull pen
Hoyt Wilhem - long man
Mariano Rivera -R
Bruce Sutter - R
Sparky Lyle - L
Randy Meyers -L

Just 3 position players please

ode to veeck
04-09-2008, 09:46 AM
I'll take Roberto Clemente for RF, Willie Mays for CF, and Brooks Robinson for 3B

Hokiesox
04-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Ripken SS, Schmidt 3b, Mays CF

JohnTucker0814
04-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Are you going to call out the obvious (Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, Mantle...) if so...

I'll select:

1. Rickey Henderson
2. Hanley Ramirez
3. Prince Fielder

I know the last two have almost zero history, but it'd be fun to see what people think of these two compared to some greats.

Billy Ashley
04-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Nice, I actually would like to see some off the wall picks. Just defend them.

This entire game of course is a pretty silly way to determine the value of a player but it should be fun.

Billy Ashley
04-09-2008, 12:29 PM
So far we got:
Ted Williams
Barry Bonds
Joe Morgan
Roberto Clemente
Brooks Robinson
Cal Ripken
Mike Schmidt
Willie Mays
Rickey Henderson (And I actually think hes one of the most underrated on this list)
Hanley Ramirez
Prince Fielder

Keep em coming, itll be fun to see the match up of Prince Fielder vs someone like Brooks Robinson.

WhiteSox5187
04-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Hmmm...in my OF I'd like to have Ty Cobb, a guy like Christy Matthewson on the mound and a guy like Josh Gibson behind the plate.

Billy Ashley
04-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Hmmm...in my OF I'd like to have Ty Cobb, a guy like Christy Matthewson on the mound and a guy like Josh Gibson behind the plate.

Position players only please, but I love your other two picks... Cobb certainly belongs in this and Gibson is a great debate topic. We really don't have any hard evidence to prove how great he was but we have plenty of stories.

comet2k
04-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I'd put Joe DiMaggio in CF based on his stats and because he is described as a great all-around player.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/dimagjo01.shtml

Ted Williams in LF, and of course Ruth in RF.

DiMaggio lost three years of his prime to WWII, and Williams' career was interrupted twice, by WWII and Korean War. Their numbers could have been even better.

I saw something recently that said Willie Mays' numbers could have been a lot better if he hadn't played all those years in Candlestick Park, where the wind and cold weather hurt his HR production.

gogosox16
04-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Joe Jackson and Frank Thomas

Hokiesox
04-09-2008, 03:18 PM
I'd like to change Mays to Bench. Someone else nominated Mays.

Billy Ashley
04-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Updated list:

1.Ted Williams
2.Barry Bonds
3.Joe Morgan
4.Roberto Clemente
5.Brooks Robinson
6.Cal Ripken
7.Mike Schmidt
8.Willie Mays
9.Rickey Henderson
10.Hanley Ramirez
11.Prince Fielder
12.Ty Cobb
13.Josh Gibson
14.Joe DiMaggio
15.Babe Ruth
16.Joe Jackson
17.Frank Thomas
18.Johnny Bench

Fun list thus far, but were missing some Triple Crown winners and some other obvious choices, Keep Em coming. The nominating process ends Monday at midnight.

PennStater98r
04-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Lou Gehrig
Ernie Banks
Jackie Robinson
Mickey Mantle
Hank Aaron

spawn
04-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I'll throw some old-timers into the mix:

Oscar Charleston- OF
Honus Wagner- SS