PDA

View Full Version : No Excuses

Viva Magglio
04-27-2002, 07:45 PM
I like where we are in the standings (first place), and I am generally pleased overall with how we have been playing (six games over .500).

However, we cannot appeal to this as an excuse for today's horrible showing in Oakland. The "it was just one game" logic donsn't fly with me. Our team did not show up today. Mark Buehrle hung everything to the A's batters. Our hitters generally performed poorly at the plate and did not execute whenever we had ducks on the pond. And our fielding was not all there either.

The loss itself is not bothersome to me, and we did not lose ground to second place Minnesota. However, it's HOW we lost that is the troublesome aspect. We did not have our heads nor our hearts into this game today. I am extremely pet-peevish about not having our hearts into the game. Most of the time, our players were just going through the motions. There is no excuse for facing a former Cub pitcher in Mark Fyhrie who was 0-1 with an 11.57 ERA and coming up virtually empty. Today, we made this A's pitcher look like Catfish Hunter. Our offense should have lit Fyhire up but failed miserably.

As I have said before, I want our team to approach games No. 1 through No. 162 and beyond with the will to go out there and kick ass. Game No. 24 today was not one of those games. I think Jerry Manuel has done an overall adequate job in managing our ballclub since 1998. However, his biggest weakness is his apparent inability to motivate the team when needed. Every manager in the game will make a boneheaded move like Manuel did last night with Jim Parque, but Manuel letting our team take the field without Doug Buffone's Neanderthal gene is unacceptable.

As far as winning and losing goes, I want our team to consistently win two of every three. I know we are not going to win every game. In fact, every team is virtually assured of 60 wins and 60 losses. It's how a team distributes those other 42 decisions that matters. If we have more games like the one we had today, I can assure you that our 42 will not distribute the right way.

doublem23
04-27-2002, 09:29 PM
Yeah, that sucked a fat one, but still... Just one game... This team needs a day off, badly. When was their last? The 7th? And a cross-country plane trip doesn't help, either. While the game itself was pretty pathetic, they really look like they need a day off.

raul12
04-27-2002, 10:40 PM
what an f-ed up schedule. go from in cleveland, to oakland, back home against seattle and oakland, back out west for texas and anaheim, then back home against same teams, out to the east coast for one series against boston, and then back home. so much for the traditional "west coast road trip".

cornball
04-28-2002, 09:23 AM
The Oakland area must have a great night life for the Sox players, because everytime we go out there we get our ass kicked. No excuses but it seems like our "A game" was left at home.