PDA

View Full Version : Contreras Finding Success...Speaking English

BRDSR
04-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080408&content_id=2504216&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

I don't usually even read the human interest stories on whitesox.com (or anywhere, for that matter), but I did find this piece interesting. I don't think it's a huge stretch to say that someone more confident in his private life is going to be more confident on the mound. Whether that translates to better results on the mound remains to be seen, but I'm intrigued.

I also think its interesting how both he and Ozzie talk about life after baseball. Although I would have realized it if I had ever stopped to think about it, I never did think about the fact that players like Jose Contreras (but not Ozzie) cannot "go home" when they retire from baseball. I don't really have anything further to say about it, except that it had never occurred to me.

Mr.1Dog
04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
I don't mean for this to turn political, but hopefully with Cuba easing up the strictness of island, when Jose is finally done playing here, he will be able to go home.

hawkjt
04-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Funny, I happened to notice Jose talking to Nick Swisher yesterday in the dugout with a big smile on his face during the telecast. I even thought to myself that I had not really seen Jose interacting with non-hispanic players before...this explains that.

As frustrating as Jose can be on the mound, I root hard for him and think he is a good teammate. Here's hoping he has a big bounce back year.
When I think about myself being in the middle of say...Peru without any of the language...I might struggle also.

I agree that hopefully things will change in DC and Cuba enough to allow Jose and Alexi to go home someday.

CashMan
04-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Funny, I happened to notice Jose talking to Nick Swisher yesterday in the dugout with a big smile on his face during the telecast. I even thought to myself that I had not really seen Jose interacting with non-hispanic players before...this explains that.

As frustrating as Jose can be on the mound, I root hard for him and think he is a good teammate. Here's hoping he has a big bounce back year.
When I think about myself being in the middle of say...Peru without any of the language...I might struggle also.

I agree that hopefully things will change in DC and Cuba enough to allow Jose and Alexi to go home someday.

I have a feeling in the next 5-10yrs it will.

CleeFan101
04-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Even if Cuba eventually does allow its players to come to America freely. I have a feeling guys like Contreras, Alexi, El Duque and Livan Hernandez wont really be welcomed back.

turners56
04-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Now that Castro is no longer in office and will die in the next couple of years, I'm sure Cuba will become a more free nation. Whitesox.com delivers too much sweet talk (that's their job...), but saying all of this about Contreras doesn't mean anything until he performs like it's 2005 again. So far in 2008, I've yet to see anything like that, his game against Detroit was terrible. If Detroit wasn't sucking so badly, he would of got lit up for 10 runs, not 5.

HomeFish
04-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Even if Cuba eventually does allow its players to come to America freely. I have a feeling guys like Contreras, Alexi, El Duque and Livan Hernandez wont really be welcomed back.

By the government sure. But I'm sure the people of Cuba will more than welcome them back for demonstrating to the rest of the world that Cuban athletes can perform successfully at the highest levels of their sport.

oeo
04-08-2008, 05:25 PM

Swish actually knows Spanish. I've seen him talking to Alexei, as well.

October26
04-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Swish actually knows Spanish. I've seen him talking to Alexei, as well.

Really? No wonder Swisher has been a big hit on this team so far - not only is he full of energy and plays the game hard but he can also communicate with all of the players on the team (english and spanish speaking). That's great!

oeo
04-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Really? No wonder Swisher has been a big hit on this team so far - not only is he full of energy and plays the game hard but he can also communicate with all of the players on the team (english and spanish speaking). That's great!

Yep, he mentions it in his journal on his website when the Sox were down in Mexico for a game during Spring Training.

hawkjt
04-09-2008, 04:24 PM
I did not know that Swisher is bi-lingual...cool. I would think that might be a real plus in terms of being the clubhouse clown/leader guy. Nothing like communicating to build relationships. Maybe it is more common than I would think as so many latin players populate the dugouts these days.

rowand33
04-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Nick Swisher... what can't he do?

mzh
04-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Nick Swisher... what can't he do?

Bat leadoff for 162 games. Nick Swisher should be in the 2 or 6 slot. A leadoff hitter doesn't get the pitches Swisher needs to hit really well. Why not Orlando Cabrera? He seems more of a leadoff type.