PDA

View Full Version : Will Nick Swisher Become A Bigtime Fan Favorite?....HE ROCKS!!

Thome25
04-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Do you think Nick Swisher will end up becoming one of the bigtime fan favorites on this team ala a certain CF who shall remain nameless (plays for Giants.)

I know it's still early. We're only a week into the season but, I can see Swisher having an even bigger following than the nameless CF ever did.

I'm absolutely glad the Torii Hunter deal fell through. I LOVE what Swisher brings to the table. He plays hard, seems like he's great with the fans and in the clubhouse, will do whatever is asked of him, and above all wants to win.

What do you think about this guy? Do you see him as a bigtime fan favorite in the near future?

rdwj
04-08-2008, 08:03 AM
He'll probably be the face of the team and a fan favorite. He's one of those high-energy, always smiling, always happy to give a comment guys that the media loves.

TommyJohn
04-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Well, I don't know about our fans, T25, but I think the fans in Portland, Oregon would absolutely love him.

Thome25
04-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Well, I don't know about our fans, T25, but I think the fans in Portland, Oregon would absolutely love him.

Point taken.......That was just a rant because I was sick of all the Cubs coverage being crammed down my throat. It wasn't directed at White Sox fans it was directed at the city in general (and Chicago media) and I apologize if I offended anyone.

Jurr
04-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Swisher was in centerfield during the 8th inning really playing it up to the crowd. He was blowing kisses to the fans and really soaking it up. Awesome to see. Jermaine was laughing at him the entire time.

Hokiesox
04-08-2008, 09:19 AM
He's going to be a community favorite too. His charity donates TONS of money to schools and children in Oakland, and I think it's moving to Chicago too. I forget the details of what I was reading, but he personally donated thousands so a school for kids with disabilities could have a birthday party (I think?). It'd be great if he became the face of the franchise, he seems like a top-notch person and EXCELLENT role model, which is lacking in today's professional sports.

Hokiesox
04-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Swisher was in centerfield during the 8th inning really playing it up to the crowd. He was blowing kisses to the fans and really soaking it up. Awesome to see. Jermaine was laughing at him the entire time.

Here's a good quote from Joe Crede:

"Swisher's over there yelling, sometimes you don't even know what he's saying, but he's over there yelling," Crede said, laughing. "It brings energy to a team. Everybody's always excited and ready to play. Hopefully, this can continue. It's just the first week of the season."

---that comes from the Tribune article:
Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-080407-morrissey-nick-swisher-chicago-white-sox,1,4604721.column)

soxinthecity
04-08-2008, 09:23 AM
I was excited when I heard the Sox picked him up. His positive and upbeat attitude is going to put him right up there with a bunch of the fan favorites.

Iwritecode
04-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Did anyone else see him giving the starting lineup on Sunday? He gave everyone on the team a nickname of some sort. Some of them sounded pretty fake though. Like Ozzie "The bus Driver" Guillen.

When he was done he fell over laughing. :D:

jenn2080
04-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Brian Anderson. Swisher is awesome, but Anderson is still a better center fielder.

Droso5
04-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Brian Anderson. Swisher is awesome, but Anderson is still a better center fielder.

Sheer out-field ability, then yes BA takes it. But as a complete package that gives this team talent and intangibles, then it's def. Swisher.....Swisher or Rob Macoviawk...or however you spell his name. I true champion for sure.

rdwj
04-08-2008, 09:38 AM
I heard one of the relievers refer to Swish as "Dirty 30". Has anyone ever heard that nickname for Swish?

Thome25
04-08-2008, 09:41 AM
That Crede story is awesome. If Swisher can keep this up, he will have the chance to become one of our all-time fan favorites and one of KW's best trades ever.

He's warming himself up to the fans and media EXTREMELY quick. I can't remember a white Sox player ever doing that. (not just from a numbers standpoint but, a personality standpoint as well.)

He's definitely a hard working, blue collar type of player.

Thome25
04-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Sheer out-field ability, then yes BA takes it. But as a complete package that gives this team talent and intangibles, then it's def. Swisher.....Swisher or Rob Macoviawk...or however you spell his name. I true champion for sure.

The intangibles are what puts him ahead of the rest IMO. It seems like he's already a true leader on this team and drives everyone to do better and be better.

Hopefully he can keep putting up numbers as well. "*knocks on wood*"

ode to veeck
04-08-2008, 09:45 AM
That Crede story is awesome. If Swisher can keep this up, he will have the chance to become one of our all-time fan favorites and one of KW's best trades ever.

He's warming himself up to the fans and media EXTREMELY quick. I can't remember a white Sox player ever doing that. (not just from a numbers standpoint but, a personality standpoint as well.)

He's definitely a hard working, blue collar type of player.

Sox fans warmed up to AJ pretty quick, in spite of the bad press on his elsewhere, they took him objectivevly from the start as the smart hard nosed ball player that he is

Thome25
04-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Sox fans warmed up to AJ pretty quick, in spite of the bad press on his elsewhere, they took him objectivevly from the start as the smart hard nosed ball player that he is

Good point....how could I forget AJ? The White Sox have been lucky to get the smart, hard nosed players who fans love like Swisher and AJ.

Did anyone else notice that the word "family" is being thrown around about the Sox clubhouse again?

VeeckAsInWreck
04-08-2008, 09:53 AM
I heard one of the relievers refer to Swish as "Dirty 30". Has anyone ever heard that nickname for Swish?

On Saturday he announced the starting lineup on Fox. He called himself "Dirty 30". He also called Konerko "The King". Some of the other ones I remember are:

Jermaine "Live and Let" Dye
Joe "Apollo" Creed-e

Once he was done he fell over laughing.

Thome25
04-08-2008, 09:55 AM
On Saturday he announced the starting lineup on Fox. He called himself "Dirty 30". He also called Konerko "The King". Some of the other ones I remember are:

Joe "Apollo" Creed-e

Damn I'd like to know the entire list. I missed the game because I was stuck watching the Mets on the east coast.

Which nickname should he permanently have? I've heard "Swish" but I like "Dirty 30" better.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-08-2008, 09:57 AM

I agree with that, but there are people here who are going to disagree about it being KW's best trade if Gio, Sweeney or DLS do anything of significance in their MLB careers.

Me personally, I was stoked about the deal. Swisher brings a lot to the team and so far it has been evident. You can see that these guys are having fun.

rdwj
04-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Damn I'd like to know the entire list.

...especially one for Orlando Cabrera so we can get rid of O-Cab FOREVER

Madscout
04-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Did anybody see his opening double? He slides into second base and immediatly looks in the dugout and yells, "LET'S GO! LET'S GO!"

The guy exudes energy. Gotta love it.

kingpin_rcs
04-08-2008, 10:32 AM

I don't get it.

ElevenUp
04-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Swisher brings the awesome 24/7.:redneck

the gooch
04-08-2008, 10:45 AM
I heard one of the relievers refer to Swish as "Dirty 30". Has anyone ever heard that nickname for Swish?damn. that is what people called me in college.
i like him, but not enough to give him my name... yet.

angiew
04-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Did anybody see his opening double? He slides into second base and immediatly looks in the dugout and yells, "LET'S GO! LET'S GO!"

The guy exudes energy. Gotta love it.

Yep...I was excited to see him pumped up. That sort of attitude can catch like fire! I really like the guy.

oeo
04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Something else to be noticed: Crede was doing the "low five" after his slam. Also, there's a picture on the Trib's site of him celebrating with Swish in the dugout.

I love Swisher. Everytime you see him, he's making somebody smile. I even saw Contreras smiling and messing around with Swisher after the game on Sunday. I'm definitely glad he's wearing silver and black.

nsdjoe
04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm excited about Swisher in a way I haven't been about a baseball player in a long time. He was just going ballistic after the game, jumping around giving high fives. Energy that is badly, badly needed!

doublem23
04-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Something else to be noticed: Crede was doing the "low five" after his slam. Also, there's a picture on the Trib's site of him celebrating with Swish in the dugout.

I love Swisher. Everytime you see him, he's making somebody smile. I even saw Contreras smiling and messing around with Swisher after the game on Sunday. I'm definitely glad he's wearing silver and black.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-04/37600637.jpg

Gotta love it.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-08-2008, 11:25 AM

I agree - as a fielder.

I love Swish's energy....that footage of him walking in the dugout, talking it up, high fiving people...it's infectious and I think sorely overdue in that dugout.

rwcescato
04-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Do you think Nick Swisher will end up becoming one of the bigtime fan favorites on this team ala a certain CF who shall remain nameless (plays for Giants.)

I know it's still early. We're only a week into the season but, I can see Swisher having an even bigger following than the nameless CF ever did.

I'm absolutely glad the Torii Hunter deal fell through. I LOVE what Swisher brings to the table. He plays hard, seems like he's great with the fans and in the clubhouse, will do whatever is asked of him, and above all wants to win.

What do you think about this guy? Do you see him as a bigtime fan favorite in the near future?

I have first row seat in section 100 and it looked like Swisher was enjoying every bit of the fans out there. He kept looking back and having a blast. When Crede hit the homerun he ran out there laughing and smiling at everyone. It was great.
Rich:bandance:

Thome25
04-08-2008, 11:49 AM
"Dirty 30" is the perfect nickname because to me, it refers to how hardcore and blue collar he is.

He isn't afraid to get his hands or his jersey dirty. (including the #30 on it.)

ElDuque26
04-08-2008, 11:52 AM

Yesterday they interviewed him before the game in the clubhouse and asked who dyed his beard, and he said it was a "dirty thirty job"...thats the nickname he goes with...fits him well...fan favorite already...brings back a little bit of that '05 swagger that has been missing for a few seasons

jabrch
04-08-2008, 11:52 AM

If you go to the custom Tshirt shop at USCF, they sell Dirty30 Ts...

we be jake
04-08-2008, 12:02 PM
So Far So Good.

jabrch
04-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Great poll...You could make arguements for a few guys...

Just for this season - it would have to be either Swish or Hunter, assuming you were not taking cost into account. If you were, Hunter goes out and Young moves into the discussion. Swish's defense has been good enough in CF so far. I hope it keeps up that way once the sun starts shinning a bit more.

But regardless of any of those other options, I like having Swish here. We MAY someday miss Gio, Sweeney or DLS, but Swish is exactly what Kenny was looking for when he tried to get a legitimate CF this year. He wasn't his first choice (Hunter, Fukudome, etc...) - but he may end up being the best option.

Domeshot17
04-08-2008, 12:07 PM
If we win, he will be a fan favorite. Take a way a world series and Crede and Rowand fall from rock star status. Win a world series and we may never hear the name Aaron Rowand every again haha.

I really like him. His defense is better than he gets credit for. He is not Brian Anderson out there, but he also isn't Rob Mackowiak. He reads the ball well, has a decent nothing special arm, and ok speed. In essence its like having Aaron back in Center. Also, the guy just knows how to get on base. He is always hustling, he does what pods did in the sense that his play has brought new life to us. Hustling, taking Walks, he makes the guys behind him better andgives them the best chance to succeed. I don't think you can ask of anything more from a lead off hitter.

rowand33
04-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Oh, he definately will

I've already developed a serious man-crush on Swisher that rivals my 04/05 man-crush on Rowand.

Swisher is awesome.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Man, there is a lot of Swisher love going on here this morning. Everyone sounds like an infatuated teenage girl! No offense to infatuated teenage girl Sox fans.

Is this the beginning of Swishermania????

SoxSpeed22
04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
I would hope he does become a fan favorite. He was my favorite player for the FOBBs and I bet the fans loved him there as well. Swisher, Quentin, Cabrera and Linebrink have all made great first impressions.

Chrisaway
04-08-2008, 12:21 PM
The way this current lineup is playing I dont want ANY changes made. I like "Dirty 30".

GregO23
04-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Damn I'd like to know the entire list. I missed the game because I was stuck watching the Mets on the east coast.

Which nickname should he permanently have? I've heard "Swish" but I like "Dirty 30" better.
Swisher Sweet!

ilsox7
04-08-2008, 01:05 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-04/37600637.jpg

Gotta love it.

Wow, even JD is smiling. Next thing you know, Harold will crack a smile.

EndemicSox
04-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Swish, Young, and Hunter are the best all around players on that list. I'd take Swish for his OBP, but I can see others wanting Young for his unlimited potential. Swish isn't the longterm answer at CF, but I see him as a fixture in the OF for many years to come, without question a potential fan/media favorite...as long as the guys they traded for him don't become the second coming of Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan, of course...

BTFU
04-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Wow, even JD is smiling. Next thing you know, Harold will crack a smile.

I would not count on it...

VeeckAsInWreck
04-08-2008, 02:10 PM
as long as the guys they traded for him don't become the second coming of Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan, of course...

If you read these boards enough, you'll see that a lot of people assume that anyone we trade away is going to have a HOF career. Gio should be getting the Cy Young this year and Ryan Sweeney is going to win the batting title.

Hokiesox
04-08-2008, 02:13 PM
If you read these boards enough, you'll see that a lot of people assume that anyone we trade away is going to have a HOF career. Gio should be getting the Cy Young this year and Ryan Sweeney is going to win the batting title.

No Veeck, even you understand that trades cannot be evaluated until 2 or 3 years after they're made. So, it is possible they turn out to be all stars.

Jjav829
04-08-2008, 02:19 PM

Joe "Apollo" Creed-e

I missed that. Thankfully. Too Chris Berman-y for me.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-08-2008, 02:20 PM
No Veeck, even you understand that trades cannot be evaluated until 2 or 3 years after they're made. So, it is possible they turn out to be all stars.

I understand that, but what I was alluding to is how people react when players do get traded. Suddenly in many people's minds they are destined for greatness because we "gave" them away. Otherwise I again will state that I was glad when KW pulled the trigger on the Swisher deal and am really glad that a lot of Sox fans are taking to him.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-08-2008, 02:23 PM
I missed that. Thankfully. Too Chris Berman-y for me.

I thought so too. Swisher couldn't read some of them without laughing a bit. Made me wonder if he made up the nicknames or some Fox Sports producer wrote them out for him.

Unfortunately I can't remember the rest of the names, my girlfriend was talking and I had to listen to some of what she was saying in case she asked a question. Guys in relationships will know what I'm talking about.

hawkjt
04-08-2008, 02:23 PM
On Saturday, the Fox announcer said that Swish will be very popular in chicago...and hinted that the he might embrace the role too much ,ie. nightlife is the good life.

So, is Swisher single? I found myself wondering who he would hang with in Chicago if he is single and on a night like last nite you have nothing to do for 2 days and most of your teammates are married...BA? All the guys like MB,AJ,Jo-Jo,and PK are now married. Over in Oakland, Swish had a bunch of young single guys to hang with..

Just hope he does not burn himself out chasing skirt all nite downtown.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Just hope he does not burn himself out chasing skirt all nite downtown.

With a name like "Dirty 30" it wouldn't surprise me if he did. :tongue:

soxlady8
04-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Many Sport Players hang at these places in the Chi --

Entourage
Lumen
Mannequin
Sound Bar
Gibsons
Room 21
Ditkas
Carnivale
Lux Bar
Y Bar
Avenue M
Rockit
Underground

MCHSoxFan
04-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Hell yeeesss!!! First, he waved to me. Then, later in the game, me and him were laughing, dancing, and going completley wild right before JD was up when he got that base hit right before Joe's blast. He really is great. Other than my AJ, Swisher is my favorite player! I am so glad KW got him.

October26
04-08-2008, 04:35 PM
My 17 year old daughter says "Yes to Swishermania!" :bandance:

I voted for Swisher with my heart even though my mind says that Anderson is a better defensive CF.

As others have said, I like the energy that Swisher brings, but remember gang, it is only April 8th. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic with the Sox great start this season and Swisher has made important contributions thus far, but the baseball season is very long and as we know, alot of things can happen.

Am I happy that Nick Swisher plays CF (or LF in the future) for our White Sox? You betcha!

BadBobbyJenks
04-08-2008, 05:30 PM
He is already a rock star, sounded like he got one of the biggest ovations yesterday. If you read the tribune or the suntimes today every article had one of the sox players just gushing about Swisher.

JoeClutch24
04-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Rowand is still one of my favorite players, but Swish is Rowand with a personality

FedEx227
04-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Rowand is still one of my favorite players, but Swish is Rowand with a personality

and actual baseball talent.

thomas35forever
04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Swisher will bring the Awesome both on and off the field. I see no reason to have anyone else in center right now.

scarsofthumper
04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm on the Swisher bandwagon.

He complements what I consider to be a great outfield.

BoysMom3
04-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Totally loving Swisher.