PDA

View Full Version : What the heck happened to the speed gun in the RF corner?

jabrch
04-08-2008, 12:51 AM
Is there a speed gun anywhere? I didn't see anything today.

Chrisaway
04-08-2008, 01:08 AM
I didn't see it either looks like they replaced it with the pitch counter?

jabrch
04-08-2008, 01:12 AM
I didn't see it either looks like they replaced it with the pitch counter?

I don't need another PC....I'd like to know the speed of a pitch.

IlliniSox4Life
04-08-2008, 02:40 AM

I would like to know them as well, but that thing was about as accurate as some drunk in the stand guessing how fast he thought it was. Hopefully they are installing a more accurate one somewhere else.

skottyj242
04-08-2008, 09:21 AM
I hope it comes back too. I kept looking for it the whole game.

soxinem1
04-08-2008, 09:44 AM

Why? It was never accurate anyway.

nug0hs
04-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Agreed. They definitely should put up some kind of meter somewhere in replacement. Not only do the fans reference that info but the broadcasters do too. Can someone email the front office?

whitesoxwilkes
04-08-2008, 11:38 AM
I would prefer some sort of K-Zone display myself.

soxfan21
04-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Hopefully they bring it back some point during the season, some of Jenks' pitches had some pop to them, would have been nice to know approximately how fast they were.

wealz07
04-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Word street level is that Coop had it removed.

areilly
04-08-2008, 11:54 AM
There's a great story about Tony LaRussa asking for the speed displays in St. Louis to be cranked up a few MPH so his pitchers wouldn't focus as much on hitting speed numbers and worry more about hitting pitching targets. It would make sense if OG or Don Cooper thought to remove it altogether for similar reasons.

btrain929
04-08-2008, 12:03 PM

They don't show the speed of the pitch on the big Lasalle Bank sign anymore?

jabrch
04-08-2008, 12:05 PM

Nope - he gone...

Why? It was never accurate anyway.

I know - but it was directionally correct....

soxfan21
04-08-2008, 12:07 PM

It's a big white Bank of America sign now, and that sign has the pitch counter now and not the speed anymore.

peeonwrigley
04-08-2008, 12:23 PM
It's a big white Bank of America sign now, and that sign has the pitch counter now and not the speed anymore.

I'll blame B of A. Enough if they had nothing to do with it, **** them.

swish
04-08-2008, 02:58 PM
I would prefer some sort of K-Zone display myself.
But then they might get into trouble with major league baseball and the umpires...as we saw from phil yesterday

DumpJerry
04-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Calm down, everyone. When I was listening to the radio broadcast Friday, Stone explained why the speed thing is a crock of ****, anyway. Stone talked about there are two ways to measure the speed, laser and, IIRC, Juggs. One picked up the pitch out of the pitcher's hand, the other when it was over the Plate. The pitch is faster out of the hand than over the Plate. I think the old speed meter at Comiskey was the over the plate one because it was always 2-3 MPH behind what the broadcast would say the pitch speed was.

The funny part of Stoney's explanation was Farmio showing off he, too, knew about this. Stone said something to the effect of "of course, Ed, you know about this, you scouted once."

Rounding_Third
04-08-2008, 04:26 PM
And did anyone miss the batter's stat line that appeared at the base of the fan deck? I know it's too early for it to be meaningful but it appears to have been replaced by electronic advertising. The BA appears on the corner scoreboards but we're SOL on HR and RBI info unless you catch it on the LF scoreboard during its brief appearance. To the best of my recollection, it was there for the last weekend series of 2007. What's the story? Thanks for any info.

DaBears
04-09-2008, 11:49 AM
And did anyone miss the batter's stat line that appeared at the base of the fan deck? I know it's too early for it to be meaningful but it appears to have been replaced by electronic advertising. The BA appears on the corner scoreboards but we're SOL on HR and RBI info unless you catch it on the LF scoreboard during its brief appearance. To the best of my recollection, it was there for the last weekend series of 2007. What's the story? Thanks for any info.

I am pretty sure that early season last year they did not show individual stats on the scoreboard of the fan deck. My guess is that after this week they will start to put it up there. Like you said, at the moment, those numbers are fairly irrelevant (unless you are a Fantasy player)

However, I am a little upset that the pitch speed is no longer up there! I found myself constantly looking to right field for the speed, even though I knew it wasnt up there lol

hi im skot
04-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I am pretty sure that early season last year they did not show individual stats on the scoreboard of the fan deck. My guess is that after this week they will start to put it up there. Like you said, at the moment, those numbers are fairly irrelevant (unless you are a Fantasy player)

I dunno, it's great to know how someone you're not familiar with is doing stat-wise; does he appear to be a power hitter? Does he drive in RBIs? Does he seem to be a contact guy? Those stats help.

LoveYourSuit
04-09-2008, 12:05 PM

Hate to sound like a broken record but the Sox need to do some major upgrades on their scoreboards.

We want STATS !!!

Everyone is a stat freak these days with all the fantasy crap, the Sox need to step it up.

The message boards need to go or need to stop during game play. We don't care about "Amy and Mike getting married, " or "Happy 90th B-day dad (can he even read the sign at that age?)."

KenBerryGrab
04-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Hate to sound like a broken record but the Sox need to do some major upgrades on their scoreboards.

We want STATS !!!

Everyone is a stat freak these days with all the fantasy crap, the Sox need to step it up.

The message boards need to go or need to stop during game play. We don't care about "Amy and Mike getting married, " or "Happy 90th B-day dad (can he even read the sign at that age?)."

Sorry, I disagree, at least on the last part. That homey feeling is part of what makes Sox games Sox games.

LoveYourSuit
04-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Sorry, I disagree, at least on the last part. That homey feeling is part of what makes Sox games Sox games.

You mis understood me. I have no problem with the message boards as long as not during game action. In between innings, fine. I want stats, splits, radar guns, replays, etc during game play.

We can't even get replays on the board anymore because little Tommy needs to be reminded that it is his B-day.

IlliniSox4Life
04-09-2008, 04:32 PM
You mis understood me. I have no problem with the message boards as long as not during game action. In between innings, fine. I want stats, splits, radar guns, replays, etc during game play.

We can't even get replays on the board anymore because little Tommy needs to be reminded that it is his B-day.

No MLB park shows replays of any questionable call on their jumbo-tron, and it has nothing to do with Tommy's birthday.

DumpJerry
04-09-2008, 04:37 PM

You do realize that those messages raise a ton of $$$$ for White Sox Charities?

VeeckAsInWreck
04-09-2008, 04:43 PM
We want STATS !!!

If you wants stats so bad watch the game from your computer then. You should go to the park for the ballgame not to keep track of your fantasy team. Let me guess, if you have an opposing player on your fantasy team you quietly cheer their home run right?

FedEx227
04-09-2008, 04:50 PM
If you wants stats so bad watch the game from your computer then. You should go to the park for the ballgame not to keep track of your fantasy team. Let me guess, if you have an opposing player on your fantasy team you quietly cheer their home run right?

Haha, because that's clearly what he said.

Don't put words in his mouth.

He's right. During the in-game action there is no reason for stats not to by flying on that scoreboard, what he hit against this guy, what he hit on the season, what he hit against this team last year, stuff like that.

No problem if Tommy's birthday gets played inbetween innings but it's a giant waste of a scoreboard if during in-game and in-between innings we play Birthday and fluff stuff.

whitesoxwilkes
04-09-2008, 07:30 PM
I am pleased to report that I just fielded a call from DumpJerry, Esq.

He is at the game tonight and reports that the pitch speed display is back up and running.

You can't get this type of breaking news anywhere else, folks.

jabrch
04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
One can only wonder what made the Sox change their mind?

THANKS BROOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vernam
04-09-2008, 07:55 PM
After Opening Day, I was going to post about the missing speed gun but was afraid some smart-ass young punk would tell me to just figure out the MPH using my ****ing cell phone. :angry::tongue:

Vernam

DumpJerry
04-09-2008, 11:49 PM
I am pleased to report that I just fielded a call from DumpJerry, Esq.

He is at the game tonight and reports that the pitch speed display is back up and running.

You can't get this type of breaking news anywhere else, folks.

One can only wonder what made the Sox change their mind?

THANKS BROOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Update: After the top of the 1st, they took it off and it was the pitch count for the rest of the game.

In other news from the game, it turns out my buddy and I were on the telecast for an "extended" amount of time in the top of the 8th Inning talking. If they only knew what I was saying (I was relating the story of how my season ticket order got messed up)......