PDA

View Full Version : Name of IL congressman who saved Sox

cholly364
04-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Can anybody tell me the name of the Illinois congressman (I think from DuPage County) who cast the final vote in 1988 at the last minute to save the Sox from moving to Florida?

HomeFish
04-07-2008, 11:46 PM
That was in the Illinois State Legislature rather than Congress, wasn't it?

Jjav829
04-07-2008, 11:47 PM
:welcome:

The 12:03 Miracle

Late afternoon caucuses amongst House and Senate leadership yielded faint hope that the bill could be passed before midnight. That afternoon of June 30, the governor's limousine pulled up to the steps of the State House. He secured the support of Senate Republican leader Jim "Pate" Philip -- the same politician who likely killed the club's earlier chances of moving to Addison. A few key votes changed sides in the last hour including State Senator Dawn Clark Netsch who finally realized school funding would always be an issue but the Sox bill was a one-chance occurrence only. Assurances for minority contractor set asides also garnered new votes.

Read the story here. (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/SaveOurSox.htm)

RadioheadRocks
04-07-2008, 11:47 PM
That would be Jim Stange... IIRC he was from Oakbrook and his vote put it over the top.

WhiteSox5187
04-07-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm taking a class in American Politics at Roosevelt right now and my teacher is one of the guys who got the deal done for New Comiskey and I asked him "How close were the Sox to moving?" What he said was that while Einhorn was in favor of the Sox moving to Florida, Reisendorf wasn't going to let that happen and was merely using Florida as leverage. He did want to move the team to Addison and when that vote was voted down my teacher told Reisendorf "I can probably some how get it brought up again and it will pass the second time." Reisendorf passed on that and decided to keep the team on the southside and asked him just to get funding/approval (I forget which, maybe both) for a new stadium on the southside. And that is how it happened!

slavko
04-08-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm taking a class in American Politics at Roosevelt right now and my teacher is one of the guys who got the deal done for New Comiskey and I asked him "How close were the Sox to moving?" What he said was that while Einhorn was in favor of the Sox moving to Florida, Reisendorf wasn't going to let that happen and was merely using Florida as leverage. He did want to move the team to Addison and when that vote was voted down my teacher told Reisendorf "I can probably some how get it brought up again and it will pass the second time." Reisendorf passed on that and decided to keep the team on the southside and asked him just to get funding/approval (I forget which, maybe both) for a new stadium on the southside. And that is how it happened!

That passes the believability test for me. Doesn't mean it's true, but it could be.

cholly364
04-08-2008, 12:07 AM
That would be Jim Stange... IIRC he was from Oakbrook and his vote put it over the top.

That's it! Jim Stange! I met him a year ago or so and could not remember his last name. Thanks for the information.

cholly364
04-08-2008, 12:13 AM
That was in the Illinois State Legislature rather than Congress, wasn't it?

I guess "Assemblyman" or "state representative" would be more accurate, than state "congressman."

I remember the incident very vividly. It occured only days after I got married and I told everyone that it was the best wedding present anybody could have ever asked for.

ksimpson14
04-08-2008, 12:16 AM

I think we go to the same school. That's kind of weird since I just A/S/L'd you in another thread :redface:

Lip Man 1
04-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Both Einhorn and Reinsdorf have said in numerous interviews since then that they were following Jim Thompson's advice and "promoting" a crisis because that was the only way to get the politicians moving forward.

That may be true or it may be revisionist history, only the two men themselves know for sure.

What is known however is that there was at least one member of the Sox front office who was all out in favor in moving to Florida and he was quoted anonymously in the book The Lords Of The Realm by John Helyar.

Lip