mikesouthside
04-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Who was the new guy on the PA?

ilsox7
04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Texas.

RTI_SoxFan
04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
He is the Public Address Announcer at the National Championship game in San Antonio. He'll be back Wednesday.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Who was the new guy on the PA?

It's not Tom Schaer again?

mikesouthside
04-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks.

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2008, 07:24 PM
:bandance:The PA announcer was Pat Schultz who does the PA for Loyola basketball games at the Gentile Center. Needless to say, I was not only very pleased with this selection but also with the fine job Pat did today. Knowing Pat's work through the years, I knew he would be a thousand times better than Tom Shaer and he was.

whitesoxfan
04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
:bandance:The PA announcer was Pat Schultz who does the PA for Loyola basketball games at the Gentile Center. Needless to say, I was not only very pleased with this selection but also with the fine job Pat did today. Knowing Pat's work through the years, I knew he would be a thousand times better than Tom Shaer and he was.

I'm never, ever going to forget the job Shaer did on Ring Day. Absolutely disgusting.

turners56
04-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Gene is possibly the greatest PR announcer alive, his voice just sounds so cool.

santo=dorf
04-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Ok I'll admit it, I was expecting this to be about an ewok offering ticket deals since we discussed Honda yesterday.

This sucks.

Just kidding, but it was an inspiration for a thread in the parking lot.

DeuceUnit
04-07-2008, 07:35 PM
The starting line up today was very rushed and sounded awful.

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2008, 07:41 PM
The starting line up today was very rushed and sounded awful.

It was at a little faster pace than Gene Honda does it, but it was not awful.

ThatGuyOnTheL
04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
He'll be back Wednesday.

Glad to hear it. Now that I'm 700 miles away and watching on MLB.TV in the library, it really helps to have as many familiar sights and sounds as possible, and Gene's voice in the background is definitely a part of that.

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I thought about this today. Gene Honda is the best in the business. Threads like this one demonstrate how popular Gene is and how we are very fortunate to have him. Whenever Gene is away at the Final Four or wherever, we feel a need of adjustment to whomever is filling in for him. Some have the wrong attitude that whoever fills in for Gene automatically isn't good simply because he is not Gene. It's like the same kind of devotion to Gene that fans continue to have to Aaron Rowand. I said earlier in this thread that Pat Schultz (1000x better than Tom Shaer) is an excellent choice to fill in for Gene whenever he is away, and I strongly stand by that statement. Pat is a lifetime big Sox fan.

As we are attached to Gene now the way we are, how many of you were attached to Bob Finnegan when he was the PA announcer? Gene got his start by filling in for Bob a few times a week at the old Comiskey Park, and Gene succeeded Bob when he retired after the 1990 season. I admit that I had to get used to Gene, having been used to Bob. This is in no way a swipe a Gene because a) we got used to Gene real fast and b) we fell in love with his style of PA announcing. Again, Gene Honda is the No. 1 PA announcer in this town. The fact that we have Gene speaks volumes. All I am saying is that we should not hold that against those who fill in for him.

DSpivack
04-07-2008, 09:37 PM
I thought about this today. Gene Honda is the best in the business. Threads like this one demonstrate how popular Gene is and how we are very fortunate to have him. Whenever Gene is away at the Final Four or wherever, we feel a need of adjustment to whomever is filling in for him. Some have the wrong attitude that whoever fills in for Gene automatically isn't good simply because he is not Gene. It's like the same kind of devotion to Gene that fans continue to have to Aaron Rowand. I said earlier in this thread that Pat Schultz (1000x better than Tom Shaer) is an excellent choice to fill in for Gene whenever he is away, and I strongly stand by that statement. Pat is a lifetime big Sox fan.

As we are attached to Gene now the way we are, how many of you were attached to Bob Finnegan when he was the PA announcer? Gene got his start by filling in for Bob a few times a week at the old Comiskey Park, and Gene succeeded Bob when he retired after the 1990 season. I admit that I had to get used to Gene, having been used to Bob. This is in no way a swipe a Gene because a) we got used to Gene real fast and b) we fell in love with his style of PA announcing. Again, Gene Honda is the No. 1 PA announcer in this town. The fact that we have Gene speaks volumes. All I am saying is that we should not hold that against those who fill in for him.

I never knew Finnegan, I was too young.

That said, what shows that Honda and say, Roger Bossard are the best in the business are to how many other places they're invited. Bossard installs a lot of other fields and not only in baseball, while Honda does prestigious events like the Final Four. It's quite an honor.

Irishsox1
04-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Gene is possibly the greatest PR announcer alive, his voice just sounds so cool.

Gene's a smoker. I remember seeing him at a bar a couple of years ago and he was puffing away. No doubt leads to his unique voice.

RadioheadRocks
04-07-2008, 10:18 PM

I remember Bob Finnegan, but IIRC Wayne Messmer was the PA announcer at Comiskey Park in the early 80s, and I'm pretty sure Gene Honda took over for Wayne around 1985. I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but I trust our veteran WSIers can provide the real story here.

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2008, 10:23 PM
I remember Bob Finnegan, but IIRC Wayne Messmer was the PA announcer at Comiskey Park in the early 80s, and I'm pretty sure Gene Honda took over for Wayne around 1985. I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but I trust our veteran WSIers can provide the real story here.

Wayne did replace Bob in the early '80s, but Bob came back when Wayne went to the Cubs.

The Dude
04-08-2008, 12:07 AM
It was at a little faster pace than Gene Honda does it, but it was not awful.

With all due respect, it was awful when we are used to the best. I hated every minute of every announcement.

RadioheadRocks
04-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Wayne did replace Bob in the early '80s, but Bob came back when Wayne went to the Cubs.

Thanks Viva... I had a feeling Bob Finnegan came back after Messmer left, but I'm pretty sure Gene Honda was the PA announcer for one season in the interim (1985). I'll have to go back through my media guides to be sure though.

ilsox7
04-08-2008, 01:23 AM
How has no one mentioned :Gene: yet?

IlliniSox4Life
04-08-2008, 02:35 AM

And that's why they have gotten him to do the NCAA Finals for a while now. I tell ya, one of the sweetest sounds ever heard was when Frank would step up to the plate and Gene would call his name. It gave me goosebumps.

The Sox have some of the best people in the business that aren't actually part of the team working for them:
Announcer - Gene
Groundskeeper - Bossard
Organist - Faust

When Rooney was here they were voted the best radio team in the business. With Stone the Sox once again definitely have one of the best radio teams in the business.

35th and Shields
04-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Sounds like there's a new PA speaker this year. I'm not sure if the guy from last year resigned or was sick, but I just couldn't take the new guy seriously. Anyone know if he's the new replacement this year?

VeeckAsInWreck
04-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Sounds like there's a new PA speaker this year. I'm not sure if the guy from last year resigned or was sick, but I just couldn't take the new guy seriously. Anyone know if he's the new replacement this year?

Gene Honda will be back to resume his duties now that the NCAA tourney is over.

thomas35forever
04-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Gene Honda was down in San Antonio doing the PA for the Final Four like he does every year. Don't worry. Honda won't be gone from the Sox anytime soon.

scarsofthumper
04-08-2008, 06:03 PM
As long as Honda will be there Friday, i'll be happy.

Dan the Man
04-08-2008, 06:08 PM
I didn't hear Gene Honda during the Final Four. I thought Jim Nantz did the intros. :dunno:

Jurr
04-08-2008, 06:10 PM
I didn't hear Gene Honda during the Final Four. I thought Jim Nantz did the intros. :dunno:
During the game and after the game you could hear him.

DeadMoney
04-08-2008, 06:13 PM
During the game and after the game you could hear him.

He even got a, "And, now to Gene Honda," from Greg Gumble for the post game presentation.

DSpivack
04-08-2008, 06:18 PM
That makes this, what, the third or fourth thread on Gene Honda in the last few days?

scarsofthumper
04-08-2008, 06:18 PM
I'd love to see Gene Honda be the new CTA voiceover guy.

ksimpson14
04-08-2008, 06:58 PM
As long as Honda will be there Friday, i'll be happy.

You selfish son of a bitch! I went to middle school in your town

I'd love to see Gene Honda be the new CTA voiceover guy.

That's solid. 'Coming up next, station #27, Keddzzzieee Hommmmaaannnn!'

hi im skot
04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Jesus Christ...how many threads do we have about this?

scarsofthumper
04-08-2008, 07:47 PM
You selfish son of a bitch! I went to middle school in your town
WHAT?!?!?! Where?

Viva Medias B's
04-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Has Gene Honda replaced Aaron Rowand as the one people are enfatuated with?

swish
04-08-2008, 08:07 PM
That makes this, what, the third or fourth thread on Gene Honda in the last few days?

at least!!!
-the White Sox should just put out a press release to let everyone know!! We go through this same disscussion every year

oeo
04-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Has Gene Honda replaced Aaron Rowand as the one people are enfatuated with?

When has Gene Honda not been popular? :scratch:

He's the best in the business.

Rocky Soprano
04-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Jesus Christ...how many threads do we have about this?

This happens ever year during opening day.

Taliesinrk
04-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Does Gene Honda also do the Hawks games?

DSpivack
04-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Does Gene Honda also do the Hawks games?

Yes.

kevingrt
04-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Has Gene Honda replaced Aaron Rowand as the one people are infatuated with?

He should.

delben91
04-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Where's that picture of Scott Podsednik getting punched by the yankee fan when you need it?

"You guys see this?" :cool:

ksimpson14
04-08-2008, 10:11 PM
WHAT?!?!?! Where?

Springwood, but this was like 10 years ago. By the way, I was kidding with the 'selfish son of a bitch' thing :smile: