PDA

View Full Version : White Sox and Blackhawks to partner up!

Whitesox029
04-07-2008, 02:12 PM
respective press releases:
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=359538&page=NewsPage&service=page
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080407&content_id=2500933&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
I think this is pretty awesome, and totally unexpected. I thought the Hawks would be all over the Cubbie love with McDonough and with Kane having been invited to throw out a first pitch at the urinal last summer. My only two true loves of the sports world are finally together!
EDIT: Yeah, I root for the Bears too, but my mood doesn't hinge on their winning or losing.

bryPt
04-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I think the Sox sweater may look pretty damn kickin. If they sell the thing, it would sell a good amount.

Nellie_Fox
04-07-2008, 02:37 PM
I think the Sox sweater may look pretty damn kickin. If they sell the thing, it would sell a good amount.A few years ago, Grandstands was selling a hockey sweater in black, white and gray with the big Sox logo centered on the front. It was pretty sharp.

Heffalump
04-07-2008, 02:47 PM
That's pretty cool.

While I have pretty much abandoned the Hawks, and the NHL in general, I hope that they can get back on their feet! It's clear that Rocky Wirtz is trying hard to undo all the damage his father did to the fan base.

jdm2662
04-07-2008, 02:47 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080407&content_id=2500933&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
I think this is pretty awesome, and totally unexpected. I thought the Hawks would be all over the Cubbie love with McDonough and with Kane having been invited to throw out a first pitch at the urinal last summer. My only two true loves of the sports world are finally together!
EDIT: Yeah, I root for the Bears too, but my mood doesn't hinge on their winning or losing.

McDonough grew up a White Sox fan by the way.

Flight #24
04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Makes sense since you'd think the UC tie between the Bulls (JR) and Hawks (Wirtz Jr) would make any tie-ins to the Sox natural. Plus you have Brooks who's probably got some friends over there from his days at the UC (assuming any of those folks are still around).

Regardless, great to hear!

Hokiesox
04-07-2008, 03:01 PM
The fan bases are pretty much the same. Great idea by the Hawks. and kudos to the White Sox for helping out. I think both teams will benefit.

hi im skot
04-07-2008, 04:00 PM
I think the Sox sweater may look pretty damn kickin. If they sell the thing, it would sell a good amount.

:dunno:

Did I miss the part in which they talk about a White Sox sweater?

MinnySoxFan
04-07-2008, 04:04 PM

No. no you did not.

doublem23
04-07-2008, 04:04 PM

Speculation, I guess.

Can't see the Hawks wearing special "Sox" sweaters. I know a lot of you aren't familiar with the Blackhawks, but they're actually still in the NHL.

hi im skot
04-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Speculation, I guess.

Can't see the Hawks wearing special "Sox" sweaters.

Yeah, that seems like a minor league move. The Milwaukee Admirals wear old-school Brewers logos on their jerseys (partly due to the fact that they have some of the same ownership).

Can't see the Hawks going any similiar route.

Whitesox029
04-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Speculation, I guess.

Can't see the Hawks wearing special "Sox" sweaters. I know a lot of you aren't familiar with the Blackhawks, but they're actually still in the NHL.
I don't think they would actually wear them...it would just be a novel piece of merchandise--a hockey-style jersey with the colors and logos of a baseball team

santo=dorf
04-07-2008, 04:23 PM
A few years ago, Grandstands was selling a hockey sweater in black, white and gray with the big Sox logo centered on the front. It was pretty sharp.
Is that by the Jewels?

TheCommander
04-07-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't think they would actually wear them...it would just be a novel piece of merchandise--a hockey-style jersey with the colors and logos of a baseball team

I would buy one! :bandance:

Jerome
04-07-2008, 04:33 PM
That's pretty cool.

While I have pretty much abandoned the Hawks, and the NHL in general, I hope that they can get back on their feet! It's clear that Rocky Wirtz is trying hard to undo all the damage his father did to the fan base.

true

Although I honestly don't know there's anything the Sox can do to make me care about hockey again. Maybe if they won the stanley cup or something. :redface:

KRS1
04-07-2008, 05:12 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/skihawk77/toewshawks.jpg

Johnny in a Sox sweater.

chisoxfanatic
04-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Best news of the year! I was up on my feet cheering today when they had the "shoot the puck" competition on the dugout in the middle of the 6th inning today. It was awesome seeing Buff, Burish, Wiz, and Bourque. :D:

IlliniSox4Life
04-07-2008, 07:15 PM
There was a commercial/promo that they played during pre-game stuff that I think is supposed to air at US Cellular during the games. It basically involves Thome being up to bat, sort of morphing into wearing a Hawks jersey, then hitting a home run that goes out of the park and through the UC ceiling onto the ice where a couple of Hawks players are (don't know them, but I assume the young guys). They look at the ball, and each other, and then they switch from Hawks gear into Sox Hockey jerseys and use their sticks to shoot the ball at the net.

I'm guessing that's where the idea of Sox hockey jerseys come from. They did look pretty cool.

chisoxfanatic
04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
don't know them, but I assume the young guys
That would be Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews. :D:

I want Mags back
04-07-2008, 07:53 PM
something interesting I've thought of that im shocked has yet to be brought up here

Could this put an end to the idea of a Hawks outdoor game at Wrigley, and is it possible that having the game at USCF at some point is within the agreement

Also, could we at some point this year see Frank Pellico on the organ at some games Nancy won't do.

This unique partnership opens up so many opportunities for my 2 favorite teams

chisoxfanatic
04-07-2008, 08:12 PM
sAlso, could we at some point this year see Frank Pellico on the organ at some games Nancy won't do.
That would be great; but, wouldn't it even be GREATER if they could get Patrick Blackwell to sing the national anthem for a bunch of games?

And even BETTER to have the entire crowd cheer during the ENTIRE anthem. That's one of my many favorite things about attending Blackhawk games.

I want Mags back
04-07-2008, 08:23 PM
That would be great; but, wouldn't it even be GREATER if they could get Patrick Blackwell to sing the national anthem for a bunch of games?

And even BETTER to have the entire crowd cheer during the ENTIRE anthem. That's one of my many favorite things about attending Blackhawk games.

eh, I dont see a point to taking Hawks traditions now

Lip Man 1
04-07-2008, 08:40 PM
The promo spot is really, really nice. Very well done. By the way communicated with Brooks tonight about the idea, gave him and his staff kudos. He said McDonough was at the opener today. He said John is now 1-0 in home openers.

A splendid time was guaranteed for all.

Lip

Handicaporowski
04-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Best news of the year! I was up on my feet cheering today when they had the "shoot the puck" competition on the dugout in the middle of the 6th inning today. It was awesome seeing Buff, Burish, Wiz, and Bourque. :D:

Kane was there wearing a Sox "sweater".

Rocky Wirtz is a huge Sox fan, BTW

Nellie_Fox
04-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Is that by the Jewels?I couldn't remember if it was Grandstand, Grandstands, or Grandstand's, so I took a shot. I knew I could count on someone to correct me if I got it wrong. :tongue:

ilsox7
04-07-2008, 11:05 PM
This sounds like one hunny of a deal.

I plan to actually go to a few Hawks games next year.

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2008, 11:05 PM
I have a White Sox hockey sweater, but I do not wear it anymore per what I had Grandstand sew in the back in the day: 30 ORDOŅEZ

chisoxfanatic
04-07-2008, 11:08 PM
This sounds like one hunny of a deal.

I plan to actually go to a few Hawks games next year.

That's what I love to hear!!! :D:

Hope you and Jen had fun Saturday night! Sorry I couldn't go out! Hockey Night In Canada was on.

ilsox7
04-07-2008, 11:09 PM
That's what I love to hear!!! :D:

I remember going to a Red Army game maybe 18-20 years ago. Fun times.

soxfan21
04-08-2008, 05:38 AM
It was nice to see Kane at the game yesterday in that sweet sweater.

Railsplitter
04-08-2008, 06:11 AM
Now, if the Hawks and Sox partner up, does that nean the outdoor game will be played at the Cell, or will they go through with having it at Wrigley?

Parrothead
04-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Yeah, that seems like a minor league move. The Milwaukee Admirals wear old-school Brewers logos on their jerseys (partly due to the fact that they have some of the same ownership).

The Admirals wear the Brewers logo due to them being a sponsor of the team and yes they own a piece of the team. Just like the Wolves wear a Jewel / Osco patch.

I think they have to get the bugs worked out of this promo. While I like the idea, I thought it was poorly executed yesterday.

bryPt
04-08-2008, 06:45 AM
The game should be played at Soldier Field, that place can hold 60k, and 160k will want tickets. The urinal can only hold 40k, why would they as a league want to go to a smaller venue, and such a crappy one at that?

Garland_IS_God
04-08-2008, 06:55 AM

They already made it a few years ago. When Dick's Sporting Goods on LaGrange Rd was Galyan's I seen them up there. I woulda bought one but they didn't have adult sizes.

DumpJerry
04-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Now, if the Hawks and Sox partner up, does that nean the outdoor game will be played at the Cell, or will they go through with having it at Wrigley?
The Hawks said they are also teaming up with the Cubs.

PatK
04-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I want one of those sweaters

asg2003ws2005
04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
EDIT: Yeah, I root for the Bears too, but my mood doesn't hinge on their winning or losing.they ar eplaying both sides. i was at the cub game last week, and they had a kane/toews race on thier LED boards

esbrechtel
04-08-2008, 12:38 PM
I was pumped to hear about this...it should be fun!

Whitesox029
04-08-2008, 07:27 PM
The Hawks said they are also teaming up with the Cubs.
From a business point of view this makes sense for the Hawks, but if that is the case I could have done without the "The cutting-edge experience the White Sox provide their fans is what we are after for the Hawks"-type comments. Wrigley is hardly a cutting-edge experience from what I have heard. Unless you get hit in the head with a particularly sharp piece of concrete.

esbrechtel
04-22-2008, 11:50 AM
On the Blackhawks main page there is a photo gallery of Toews and Kane in sox hockey jerseys to promote the sox-hawks partnership... scroll halfway down the page

Just as we discussed earlier they are trying to get the attention of both sox and cub fans (great idea IMO) b/c Burish, Lalime, K. Adams, and Wiz sang the 7th inning stretch last week at wrigley.