PDA

View Full Version : Even for the Red Sox this is overkill

Fenway
04-07-2008, 12:49 PM
good gawd it isn't the Olympics :o:

The Red Sox have planned for some special pregame ceremonies to appropriately honor and celebrate the 2007 World Championship Season. The ceremonies will commence with a parade of flags belonging to 62 different nations on the warning track by the Green Monster. The nations represented by these flags either count Red Sox Nation members as its residents or have citizens who have been in touch with the Red Sox Front Offices via letters and emails professing their love for the 'Olde' Towne Team'.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080405&content_id=2494181&vkey=pr_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

hi im skot
04-07-2008, 01:31 PM
:puking:

Fenway
04-07-2008, 01:38 PM
:puking:

I feel the same way

Rockin Robin
04-07-2008, 01:53 PM
That's necessary.

Let me guess, Dropkick Murphys will make an appearance at some point.

spawn
04-07-2008, 01:55 PM
And they wonder why they are becomming more hated than the Yankees.:rolleyes:

Billy Ashley
04-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Yanks are just as bad. How many times have rookies gone out for a curtain call after hitting a home run in game already blown out in the middle of april... Not many. Shelley Duncan on the other hand.

Fenway
04-07-2008, 02:00 PM
That's necessary.

Let me guess, Dropkick Murphys will make an appearance at some point.

speaking of DKM they just bought a bar in the Back Bay and will make it into a sports bar. ( they taking over the Pour House - Foggy Google complex )

http://www.bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view.bg?articleid=1085276

Nuf Ced McGreevy's 3rd Base Saloon
911 Boylston Street
Boston, MA

thomas35forever
04-07-2008, 06:20 PM
What next? Fanfares playing while the team comes in on a float while roses fall from the sky?

turners56
04-07-2008, 06:26 PM
62 flags? Did they look up all the personal info of Boston's population or something?

Fenway
04-07-2008, 06:33 PM
62 flags? Did they look up all the personal info of Boston's population or something?

They really are full of themselves at times.

ilsox7
04-07-2008, 06:41 PM

At times? Like, all the time?

turners56
04-07-2008, 06:50 PM

Because if they didn't do that, how the hell are they going to know that there are 62 nationalities in Red Sox nation? What if some guy from (insert some country nobody has ever heard of) is a Red Sox fan? This ceremony is totally inaccurate. Because we all know, one country short of perfect does not represent the Red Sox Nation.

Fenway
04-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Because if they didn't do that, how the hell are they going to know that there are 62 nationalities in Red Sox nation? What if some guy from (insert some country nobody has ever heard of) is a Red Sox fan? This ceremony is totally inaccurate. Because we all know, one country short of perfect does not represent the Red Sox Nation.

I am curious on what countries they exclude.

Billy Ashley
04-07-2008, 07:08 PM
I am curious on what countries they exclude.

There's like what, 160ish nations in the U.N. Then you got those gray areas like Taiwan and so on.Yay for I.R.!!

turners56
04-07-2008, 07:30 PM
There's like what, 160ish nations in the U.N. Then you got those gray areas like Taiwan and so on.Yay for I.R.!!

Taiwan really is their own country, China just doesn't want it to happen, so the U.N. has to kiss up to the 1.3 billion people there.

Billy Ashley
04-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Taiwan really is their own country, China just doesn't want it to happen, so the U.N. has to kiss up to the 1.3 billion people there.

Not to hijack but it 's really not. I wish it were but But given that the rest of the world doesnít respect its sovereignty by definition makes it not a country. Yes its self governing, yes it has a military and yes the United States silently backs it, but when push comes to shove it isnít a country because it doesnít have the diplomatic recognition of other nations. I am certain though, that they will have a flag at Fenway on opening day. Thatís gotta count for something right.

Please note: I'm trying to keep this politically neutral. It's just a really weird situation.

turners56
04-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Not to hijack but it 's really not. I wish it were but But given that the rest of the world doesnít respect its sovereignty by definition makes it not a country. Yes its self governing, yes it has a military and yes the United States silently backs it, but when push comes to shove it isnít a country because it doesnít have the diplomatic recognition of other nations. I am certain though, that they will have a flag at Fenway on opening day. Thatís gotta count for something right.

Please note: I'm trying to keep this politically neutral. It's just a really weird situation.

Mostly because China, the country with the world's largest population and military doesn't recognize Taiwan as a country. If China had cared less, I'm sure Taiwan would be recognized as their own country. It's probably the whole, "we don't want trouble" thing.

I'll stop now, hijacking threads isn't cool.

Billy Ashley
04-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Mostly because China, the country with the world's largest population and military doesn't recognize Taiwan as a country. If China had cared less, I'm sure Taiwan would be recognized as their own country. It's probably the whole, "we don't want trouble" thing.

I'll stop now, hijacking threads isn't cool.

I agree with you 100% btw. It sucks and its an awful situation. I shouldn't have brought it up though. Anyway, like I said before... I suspect Boston will have their flag up, I'll be looking for it.

Fenway
04-08-2008, 10:01 AM
I agree with you 100% btw. It sucks and its an awful situation. I shouldn't have brought it up though. Anyway, like I said before... I suspect Boston will have their flag up, I'll be looking for it.

I will keep my eye out for it.

One perk of working games. Carly Simon is rehearsing TMOTTBG absolutely wonderful.

Katie Casey was baseball mad..................

Fenway
04-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Carly must have sung this 15 times in rehearsal...... I could listen to her version forever........rumor flying around park that Neil Diamond is here as well

Katie Casey was baseball mad,
Had the fever and had it bad.
Just to root for the home town crew,
Ev'ry sou1
Katie blew.
On a Saturday her young beau
Called to see if she'd like to go
To see a show, but Miss Kate said "No,
I'll tell you what you can do:"

Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd;
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back.
Let me root, root, root for Red Sox,
If they don't win, it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game.

I know White Sox fans are cheering for Boston today :lol:

Fenway
04-08-2008, 11:27 AM
http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/28/2008/04/08/370x278/iso2007redsoxringnewPIX.jpg

not bad :D:

doublem23
04-08-2008, 11:40 AM
I know White Sox fans are cheering for Boston today :lol:

I have nothing at stake emotionally when two last place duds battle it out.

Call me when you play someone with a winning record. :happybday

gobears1987
04-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Not to turn this political, but the reason Taiwan isn't recognized is that they never officially declared independence.

rocky biddle
04-08-2008, 12:02 PM
speaking of DKM they just bought a bar in the Back Bay and will make it into a sports bar. ( they taking over the Pour House - Foggy Google complex )

http://www.bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view.bg?articleid=1085276

Nuf Ced McGreevy's 3rd Base Saloon
911 Boylston Street
Boston, MA

They should have named it Insufferable's

Oblong
04-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Buckner threw out the first pitch. Got a multi-minute standing ovation.

That was cool!

ilsox7
04-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Well, I wonder how insufferable this Red Sox broadcast will be. I have 90 minutes or so to watch it. I am assuming it will be awful.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-08-2008, 03:53 PM

That was cool!

Did it go through the catcher's legs?

BRDSR
04-08-2008, 04:04 PM

That was cool!

I read something on mlb.com today regarding him throwing out the first pitch. I have to admit, I could not believe he had 2,700+ career hits and won an NL batting title. Wonder if I'd had known if he hadn't let that one ball go through his legs.

Patrick134
04-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Was one of the 62 nations celebrated Douche Baghdad ?

mccoydp
04-08-2008, 04:50 PM
They really are full of themselves <crop> at times </crop>.

Fixed that for you. :wink:

slowlearner
04-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Did it go through the catcher's legs?

nicely done. :D:

Droso5
04-09-2008, 09:09 AM
I hate the Red Sox now. Playing the "we're the cursed long-haired, bad boys of baseball underdog lore" was old and now it's just plain annoying, espcially because of all the overplay they get on ESPN. I mean, if I didn't know any better I would think they were the only baseball team in America:o:

And on Bill Buckner, the only reason that man wasn't killed outright during his first-pitch was b/c they won those World Series. All the crap that guy took, and now it's all "ok". Instead of 62 Flags, they should have 62 garbage cans filled with dog crap to signify what the Red Sox Nation really is made of.

Ship It.:bandance:

itsnotrequired
04-09-2008, 09:20 AM
And on Bill Buckner, the only reason that man wasn't killed outright during his first-pitch was b/c they won those World Series. All the crap that guy took, and now it's all "ok".

Get real. That game was over 20 years ago. Buckner isn't in the witness protection program.

Droso5
04-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Get real? Witness Protection program? How do you know! Do we even know if that was the "real" Bill Buckner out there tossing out the ole' first pitch? My experience would tell me that Bill would be a very careful person and leave nothing to chance. Body double for sure.

Southsider101
04-09-2008, 06:04 PM
What next? Fanfares playing while the team comes in on a float while roses fall from the sky?

I suppose they'll raise Charlton Heston from the dead to part the waters of Boston Harbor next year!

The arrogance of Red Sox Nation is endless!

Billy Ashley
04-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I suppose they'll raise Charlton Heston from the dead to part the waters of Boston Harbor next year!

The arrogance of Red Sox Nation is endless!

Too soon....

Right now Heath Ledger jokes are acceptable... Heston jokes are not!!!*

In case your wondering, I'm kididng

itsnotrequired
04-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Get real? Witness Protection program? How do you know! Do we even know if that was the "real" Bill Buckner out there tossing out the ole' first pitch? My experience would tell me that Bill would be a very careful person and leave nothing to chance. Body double for sure.

I'm the real Bill Buckner.