PDA

View Full Version : What will happen to Quentin when Owens comes back?

steely712
04-07-2008, 12:50 PM
I was wondering with as good as Quentin has been playing (and he keeps it up), if there is a possibility for him to lose his job when Owens comes back. I really like him playing everyday, but we also need a real lead off hitter. To be honest, Owens has never really proven anything to me, and so far Quentin has definitely been earning his starting job. What do you guys think?

Jaffar
04-07-2008, 12:59 PM
I was wondering with as good as Quentin has been playing (and he keeps it up), if there is a possibility for him to lose his job when Owens comes back. I really like him playing everyday, but we also need a real lead off hitter. To be honest, Owens has never really proven anything to me, and so far Quentin has definitely been earning his starting job. What do you guys think?

I would hope that if Quentin keeps it up that we have our 2008 outfield set.

Tragg
04-07-2008, 01:06 PM
We have a real leadoff hitter.
Swisher is the best we've had since Tim Raines.
I love leadoff homers - sets the tone, sends a message and scores a run.

nug0hs
04-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I think the question should be IF Owens comes back. Ozzie and Co. made it clear that he will not be ready as expected, and they mentioned they will re-evaluate whether or not he is even needed when he is done with his rehab assignment. I doubt he makes it back up here by June.

rowand33
04-07-2008, 01:12 PM

Swisher's .481 OBP can sit at the top of the order for as long as it wants

rdwj
04-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Is anyone else kinda happy Owens started the season on the DL? I think the outfield we're sporting now is really good. BA makes a really nice defensive replacement too.

aryzner
04-07-2008, 01:39 PM
With the way that things are going currently, I am struggling to find reasons why Owens even should come back.

btrain929
04-07-2008, 01:40 PM

So your a fan of Soriano....

GAsoxfan
04-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Move Owens to 2B and cut Uribe. I think Owens has a strong enough arm to get it to first.

If not, he could probably run it over.

Sockinchisox
04-07-2008, 01:49 PM
So your a fan of Soriano....

Soriano doesn't get on base.

russ99
04-07-2008, 01:51 PM

Only a Pods-basher would say something like that...

I love Swisher, but Pods was great in '05 and half of '06... Plus Raines was on the downside of his career when he was with us.

EMachine10
04-07-2008, 01:52 PM
This is the lineup that I think will work for the year. Owens can battle it out with Bourgeois in Charlotte for all I care

A.T. Money
04-07-2008, 02:05 PM
What I don't understand is why so many people think Owens deserves a spot on this roster.....

Tragg
04-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Only a Pods-basher would say something like that...

I love Swisher, but Pods was great in '05 and half of '06... Plus Raines was on the downside of his career when he was with us.
You have to be a Pods basher to say that Swisher is a better leadoff hitter than Pods? That's absolutely ludicrous.
Pods was our 3rd to best leadoff hitter since 1990. So far, he's well behind Swisher.
And Raines was a tremendous leadoff hitter for the Sox - tremendous.

It is true that slap hitting doesn't do much for me. And if you can't get on base 35% of the time while slapping, you are a liability. Owens needs to hit .350 obp to not be a liability.

Jjav829
04-07-2008, 02:47 PM

How do you define a "real leadoff hitter?"

If Quentin keeps playing like this, Owens' only opportunity will be for a bench spot.

Rockin Robin
04-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Maybe we can throw a yellow shirt on him and put him in the stands? Owens, that is.

He could sell cotton candy or something.

Billy Ashley
04-07-2008, 03:01 PM
If the White Sox are smart/ lucky Owens won't get 100 PAs this season. He's awful. He's like Juan Pierre without the massive contract or the evidence of being able to make consistent contact (and Juan Pierre sucks).

If Jerry Owens leads off this season, he leads the AL in outs.

Swisher on the other hand is a very good prof. hitter. Quentin has tons of upside... I don't see why the white sox should not be able to do the correct (and already working well) thing.

fquaye149
04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
How do you define a "real leadoff hitter?"

If Quentin keeps playing like this, Owens' only opportunity will be for a bench spot.

Let's hope

russ99
04-07-2008, 03:04 PM
You have to be a Pods basher to say that Swisher is a better leadoff hitter than Pods? That's absolutely ludicrous.
Pods was our 3rd to best leadoff hitter since 1990. So far, he's well behind Swisher.
And Raines was a tremendous leadoff hitter for the Sox - tremendous.

It is true that slap hitting doesn't do much for me. And if you can't get on base 35% of the time while slapping, you are a liability. Owens needs to hit .350 obp to not be a liability.

No, the Pods bashing is calling Swisher the best leadoff guy we've had since Raines.

I think if Swisher can keep getting on base at his current level, he'll hold down the spot for the forseeable future.

I'd like to see Cabrera bunting him over a bit more, or bunting for a hit. No apologies, I like the small ball.

fquaye149
04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tragg http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1845028#post1845028)

No, the Pods bashing is calling Swisher the best leadoff guy we've had since Raines.

Can you explain how "calling Swisher the best leadoff hitter since Raines" is Pods bashing, but "saying Swisher is a better leadoff hitter than Pods" is not Pods bashing?

PatK
04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Pierre really isn't all that bad. I don't get the constant bashing of the guy.

Overpaid, yes.

Plus, he's got the arm strength of a 7 year old girl.

But you don't get 200 hits a season by being terrible.

fquaye149
04-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Pierre really isn't all that bad. I don't get the constant bashing of the guy.

Overpaid, yes.

Plus, he's got the arm strength of a 7 year old girl.

But you don't get 200 hits a season by being terrible.

He makes more outs than anyone in baseball.

Year in and year out he hits around .300, sure, but in the last 3 full seasons he hasn't OBPed over .331.

That is very bad for a leadoff hitter. He also has very few extra base hits. That is also very bad for a leadoff hitter. He steals a number of bases but only at about 75%. That is not particularly good.

He is also a lousy outfielder.

Bottom line is: he's not awful, but a .330 OBP with somewhere between 20-30 doubles is not what you're looking from from your leadoff guy.

Billy Ashley
04-07-2008, 03:13 PM

I think if Swisher can keep getting on base at his current level, he'll hold down the spot for the forseeable future.

I'd like to see Cabrera bunting him over a bit more, or bunting for a hit. No apologies, I like the small ball.

Swisher is a hell of a lot better than Podsednik. It’s not even close really:

2005: Pods: .290/.351/.349. 0 home runs, 70 steals but a subpar SB% (71% is costing the White Sox runs)
Average season for Swisher:
.251/.362/.463. 28 home runs, 1 SB 2 CS

Swisher’s line was in an awful hitters ball part and includes his first two years in which he was just learning MLB pitching. Podsednik was ok in 2005, but not exceptional. Not by a long shot.

russ99
04-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Can you explain how "calling Swisher the best leadoff hitter since Raines" is Pods bashing, but "saying Swisher is a better leadoff hitter than Pods" is not Pods bashing?

Sure.

By saying #1 you basically are dismissing Pods' impact in 2005 as if he doesn't count as an impact leadoff hitter, while at the same time placing a declining Raines forward as the last impact leadoff guy the Sox had.

#2 is a direct comparison between 2 players, and much more subjective and open to personal opinion.

russ99
04-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Swisher is a hell of a lot better than Podsednik. It’s not even close really:

2005: Pods: .290/.351/.349. 0 home runs, 70 steals but a subpar SB% (71% is costing the White Sox runs)
Average season for Swisher:
.251/.362/.463. 28 home runs, 1 SB 2 CS

Swisher’s line was in an awful hitters ball part and includes his first two years in which he was just learning MLB pitching. Podsednik was ok in 2005, but not exceptional. Not by a long shot.

That's your opinion and the old power vs. speed argument, which I won't get into. That said, I'm glad the Sox got Swisher and while I prefer him in the 3 or 6 spot, he's done a fine job at leadoff.

fquaye149
04-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Sure.

By saying #1 you basically are dismissing Pods' impact in 2005 as if he doesn't count as an impact leadoff hitter, while at the same time placing a declining Raines forward as the last impact leadoff guy the Sox had.

#2 is a direct comparison between 2 players, and much more subjective and open to personal opinion.

Ah. Fair enough.

Billy Ashley
04-07-2008, 03:20 PM
He makes more outs than anyone in baseball.

Year in and year out he hits around .300, sure, but in the last 3 full seasons he hasn't OBPed over .331.

That is very bad for a leadoff hitter. He also has very few extra base hits. That is also very bad for a leadoff hitter. He steals a number of bases but only at about 75%. That is not particularly good.

He is also a lousy outfielder.

Bottom line is: he's not awful, but a .330 OBP with somewhere between 20-30 doubles is not what you're looking from from your leadoff guy.

I don't know if you care about the stat OWP. But according to OWP, a team of 9 Pierres would be well below .500.

Pierre was awesome back when he hit .326 but I suspect he was aided by a ton of luck in doing so. Every other year, he's been a fringe starter.

fquaye149
04-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I don't know if you care about the stat OWP. But according to OWP, a team of 9 Pierres would be well below .500.

Pierre was awesome back when he hit .326 but I suspect he was aided by a ton of luck in doing so. Every other year, he's been a fringe starter.

I care not for your "numbers"! Show me only naked women!

Nevertheless, I would take the 2004 Pierre for my leadoff hitter any day.

Billy Ashley
04-07-2008, 03:22 PM
That's your opinion and the old power vs. speed argument, which I won't get into. That said, I'm glad the Sox got Swisher and while I prefer him in the 3 or 6 spot, he's done a fine job at leadoff.

Speed is fine and good unless it's costing you outs and that costs you runs.
Scott Podsednik over most of his career has had a negative impact on the teams he was batting for.

Rickey Henderson, Tim Raines (who should be in the HoF), Johnny Damon, good Coco Crisp, Grady Sizemore, Ichero and so on are guys who are extra lethal because they are fast and good hitters.

Sadly, fast with no bat = bad.

Billy Ashley
04-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I care not for your "numbers"! Show me only naked women!

Nevertheless, I would take the 2004 Pierre for my leadoff hitter any day.

Hell yeah, he was sick. But let's face it, that was an abberation.

FedEx227
04-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Is anyone else kinda happy Owens started the season on the DL? I think the outfield we're sporting now is really good. BA makes a really nice defensive replacement too.

Yeah, it's actually pefect. Swisher is getting the job done offensively and defensively and BA is making an amazing defensive replacement in the last innings.

Owens who?

palehozenychicty
04-07-2008, 03:55 PM
If Quentin keeps raking, there's no way they can justify Owens on the roster. Sorry.

kittle42
04-07-2008, 04:00 PM
If Quentin keeps raking, there's no way they can justify Owens on the roster. Sorry.

You have to decide what's more important - late inning defensive replacement (Anderson) or pinch running (Owens).

The sure thing, hopefully, is that neither of them will get much starting time.

palehozenychicty
04-07-2008, 04:03 PM
You have to decide what's more important - late inning defensive replacement (Anderson) or pinch running (Owens).

The sure thing, hopefully, is that neither of them will get much starting time.

I think that Anderson should get the nod, and if Anderson plays a few times/week, I'm fine with it. Some guys just take a little longer than others to generate value, and he played well enough in spring to get that opportunity, if not here, then somewhere. Look at Carlos Pena. His career was on life support with the Devil Dogs and now he is a possible All-Star contender for 2008. It's all about timing in this game, and in life. You just never know.

MisterB
04-07-2008, 06:52 PM
It just struck me: if Owens can't crack the ML roster, the Sox could be dead last in the league in stolen bases for the first time since 1977. (Although Oakland will be tough to beat in that category.)

Cabrera usually swipes about 20 a year, and Ozuna's the only other guy on the roster capable of hitting double digits in that department and I doubt he'll get enough playing time to do it.

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2008, 07:07 PM
It just struck me: if Owens can't crack the ML roster, the Sox could be dead last in the league in stolen bases for the first time since 1977. (Although Oakland will be tough to beat in that category.)

Cabrera usually swipes about 20 a year, and Ozuna's the only other guy on the roster capable of hitting double digits in that department and I doubt he'll get enough playing time to do it.

Along with Cabrera's 20, I think Quentin, Swisher and Uribe each could steal 10-15 bases this year. Just enough to be enough of a threat.

It won't matter, though, if they continue getting runners on base and knocking them in like they have been so far!

:bandance:

IlliniSox4Life
04-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Bottom line, if Quentin keeps it up, he'll stay the starter in the OF, as he should be. Owens, Alexei, or BA will be the odd man out in AAA (and I think it should be either Owens or Alexei).

MisterB
04-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Along with Cabrera's 20, I think Quentin, Swisher and Uribe each could steal 10-15 bases this year. Just enough to be enough of a threat.

It won't matter, though, if they continue getting runners on base and knocking them in like they have been so far!

Coming into this season, Quentin's had 22 SB in 4 seasons of pro ball, Swisher 13 in 5.5, and Uribe 87 in 8.5 (although only 34 in 7 ML seasons). The three might collect 10-15 combined if they're lucky.

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Coming into this season, Quentin's had 22 SB in 4 seasons of pro ball, Swisher 13 in 5.5, and Uribe 87 in 8.5 (although only 34 in 7 ML seasons). The three might collect 10-15 combined if they're lucky.

Remember that Swisher was playing in Oakland, so that certainly "depressed" his numbers.

These guys aren't Pods/Owens/Pierre fast, but they should be good enough to steal a base when Ozzie calls for it.

fquaye149
04-07-2008, 07:28 PM

Swisher was playing money ball in Oakland. Ozzie v. Macha--who is more willing to have a kid swipe a base?

tstrike2000
04-07-2008, 07:30 PM
To answer the original thread question, Owens goes to Charlotte.

Jjav829
04-07-2008, 07:31 PM

The only way Juan Uribe is stealing 10-15 bases is if MLB allows him to be carried in a rickshaw by Don Beebee from 1st to 2nd.

BoysMom3
04-07-2008, 07:32 PM
I am loving Quentin right where he is - just loving him!!

fquaye149
04-07-2008, 07:32 PM
The only way Juan Uribe is stealing 10-15 bases is if MLB allows him to be carried in a rickshaw by Don Beebee from 1st to 2nd.

If Ozzie coached football, Don Beebeez would be his #1 draft pick.

FarWestChicago
04-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Swisher was playing money ball in Oakland. Ozzie v. Macha--who is more willing to have a kid swipe a base?Macha would have been fired if he had a kid steal a base. Oh wait, he got fired anyway.

fquaye149
04-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Macha would have been fired if he had a kid steal a base. Oh wait, he got fired anyway.

Poor Billy Beane. After all his self-sacrifice to help Macha look good, Macha had to stab him in the back by calling a sac bunt that one time

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2008, 07:39 PM

He's not as slow as he looks. Of course, anyone who looks like David Wells would look slow. It's part of his disguise.

MisterB
04-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Swisher was playing money ball in Oakland. Ozzie v. Macha--who is more willing to have a kid swipe a base?

No doubt Ozzie's willing, but is Swisher able? (He has only a 50% success rate overall) Does the Oakland system even bother teaching players how to steal nowadays? :dunno:

turners56
04-07-2008, 07:44 PM
He's not as slow as he looks. Of course, anyone who looks like David Wells would look slow. It's part of his disguise.

I remember when Juan had good speed back in the Colorado days, I think it's about effort with him half the time, even on the base paths. And about Quentin, unless he gets hurt, there's no way in hell he's not starting.

Tragg
04-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Quentin isn't going to keep this up and he shouldn't have to, in order to start. He's just a rookie, but his upside is obvious; he can knock the crap out of the ball and he has a good eye. I'm excited about this player.
I like the Maggs comparison someone made a few days ago.
I don't care if he can steal or not - just be able to run the bases, which I think he can.

turners56
04-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Quentin isn't going to keep this up and he shouldn't have to, in order to start. He's just a rookie, but his upside is obvious; he can knock the crap out of the ball and he has a good eye. I'm excited about this player.
I don't care if he can steal or not - just be able to run the bases, which I think he can.

Quentin's a 2 year veteran btw. To me, he looks like Carlos Lee with more patience and a way better glove. Which in many ways, translates into: Carlos Quentin is similar to Magglio Ordonez. Whatever the case might be, Quentin has proven to me and hopefully all Sox fans that he is a very talented player who is ready to bloom this year. Boy would KW be a genius if Quentin has a 30 HR 100 RBI year. I know that's wishful thinking, but KW is already on the up-side of that deal.

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Quentin's a 2 year veteran btw. To me, he looks like Carlos Lee with more patience and a way better glove. Which in many ways, translates into: Carlos Quentin is similar to Magglio Ordonez. Whatever the case might be, Quentin has proven to me and hopefully all Sox fans that he is a very talented player who is ready to bloom this year. Boy would KW be a genius if Quentin has a 30 HR 100 RBI year. I know that's wishful thinking, but KW is already on the up-side of that deal.

Good grief, that would be fantastic if Quentin turns into a Magglio-like perennial .300/30 doubles/30 HR hitter, with that arm and glove in RF.

:)

Lip Man 1
04-07-2008, 08:02 PM
West:

Thought you'd be interested to know I was speaking with one of the beat writers who follows the A's. The subject of Bob Geren was brought up and he came outright and said that Geren does what Beane tells him to do.

Lip

doublem23
04-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Macha would have been fired if he had a kid steal a base. Oh wait, he got fired anyway.

:fobbgod:
Everyone knows stealing is wrong.

FarWestChicago
04-07-2008, 08:32 PM
West:

Thought you'd be interested to know I was speaking with one of the beat writers who follows the A's. The subject of Bob Geren was brought up and he came outright and said that Geren does what Beane tells him to do.

LipI imagine Geren has a family to feed. :D:

TheVulture
04-07-2008, 09:18 PM

I guess it would really be the acme of Pods-bashing to point out that the numbers bare out that Ray Durham was a vastly superior lead-off hitter as well, then. Sorry.

Tragg
04-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Quentin's a 2 year veteran btw Yeah, you're right -just hasn't played full time or a full year.

MisterB
04-07-2008, 10:06 PM
West:

Lip

If it were allowed, Beane would be both Manager and GM. Since it isn't, he hires managers that are willing to be his puppet. Art Howe eventually got fed up with that routine which is why Beane dropped him despite back-to-back 100+ win seasons.

guillen4life13
04-07-2008, 10:18 PM
I guess it would really be the acme of Pods-bashing to point out that the numbers bare out that Ray Durham was a vastly superior lead-off hitter as well, then. Sorry.

I agree with you, but one thing Pods did that Durham wasn't as effective with was destroying opposing pitchers' concentration once he got on base. It made life a whole lot easier for those hitting behind him.

Still, Ray was a more balanced hitter and consistently had a higher OBP with decent speed.

Sockinchisox
04-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Quentin stays as the White Sox LF.

Swisher to stay as leadoff hitter.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080407-nick-swisher-leadoff-chicago-white-sox,1,2007109.story

mzh
04-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Move Owens to 2B and cut Uribe. I think Owens has a strong enough arm to get it to first.

If not, he could probably run it over.

but what do you do to Alexei Ramirez? Big offseason acquisition riding the bench. I don't like it.

scarsofthumper
04-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Keep Owens in AAA.

If there's an injury with Uribe or Ramirez, then bring him up. This lineup is awesome right now, and changing it would only bring negatives.

soltrain21
04-08-2008, 11:24 PM
but what do you do to Alexei Ramirez? Big offseason acquisition riding the bench. I don't like it.

:scratch:

I don't think anyone thought he'd make an immediate impact - and it's pretty obvious he isn't ready at all.

Jerome
04-08-2008, 11:57 PM
I am loving Quentin right where he is - just loving him!!

yep, and I'm loving Owens right where he is

Elephant
04-09-2008, 12:00 AM
What I don't understand is why so many people think Owens deserves a spot on this roster.....

Good grief, that would be fantastic if Quentin turns into a Magglio-like perennial .300/30 doubles/30 HR hitter, with that arm and glove in RF.

:)

Quentin has a better eye. Magglio didn't take a lot of walks or carry a spectacular on-base, last year notwithstanding. Quentin could be in line with Miguel Cabrera if he maxes out his potential. They seem to be similar hitters..although they're the same age and one's a third his way to the hall of fame and the other is just getting started.

And yes, he brings more defensively than Magglio.

doublem23
04-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Keep Owens in AAA.

If there's an injury with Uribe or Ramirez, then bring him up. This lineup is awesome right now, and changing it would only bring negatives.

I'd rather bring Owens up as a pinch runner/4th outfielder. Ramirez has far more potential, and needs to be playing everyday in Charlotte.

thomas35forever
04-09-2008, 12:24 AM
I'd rather bring Owens up as a pinch runner/4th outfielder. Ramirez has far more potential, and needs to be playing everyday in Charlotte.
As much as I hate to say it, you're right about Ramirez. Uribe is playing well at second and our outfield looks solid. I don't think he'll be a big-time contributor anytime soon. An injury would give him more chances.

My Uribe statement brings me to my point that Richar should stay down too once he comes off the DL. If the double play combo of Cabrera and Uribe keeps impressing, there's no way you can break them up.

Tragg
04-09-2008, 12:36 AM
I'd leave Owens in the minors. I don't think you use a roster spot for a pinch runner. Send Ramirez down - he needs to play -maybe let Bourgeois play utility infielder.

When Richar is ready, I don't know...Uribe is seriously deficient offensively (for a 2b), but it looks like we are getting maximum value from his arm in turning the DP. I'd probably call Richar up, send Bourgoise down and give Cabrera and Uribe regular rest.

soxfandy
04-09-2008, 02:15 AM
I believe that has long as we are playing like this we have to keep things as is. When Owens comes off the dl keep him in charlotte or bring him up as our 4th outfielder and send BA down...although I rather see BA stay because he is a great late inning defensive replacement. As far as our infield goes...I believe we are set (as much as I hate Uribe). We do probably have one..if not the best defensive infields in the league. We do however need to send Alexei down and keep richar down to help both improve. For all I care we could just bring Wasserman up for Ramirez. The more bullpen arms the better. Keep everybody healthy. Plus pablo can spell crede, cabrera, or uribe when they need a day off. The lineup we are putting out there every day puts pressure on the pitcher every spot 1-9 starting with the first pitch of the game. The way I figure it is that out bottom three of the order is not a normal lower third of the order...Quentin, Crede, and Uribe are all rbi producers. They also, with the exception of uribe should be on base a lot. That puts swisher in alot of RBI situations and I already like him with guys on base. This lineup, if healthy, can do tons of good things...and I can't wait to see these guys live at the CELL on saturday and sunday!!

Mohoney
04-09-2008, 04:15 AM
Boy would KW be a genius if Quentin has a 30 HR 100 RBI year. I know that's wishful thinking, but KW is already on the up-side of that deal.

If Quentin can get 100 RBI, I don't even need that many home runs.

100 RBI from Quentin really hedges our bets in a hypothetical scenario where Crede and Uribe turn into out-making machines.

If Crede and Uribe hit all year, maybe Quentin can score 100 runs, too.

So far, IMO, he's running away and hiding with a starting job, and he would need to have a horrible 3 or 4 week stretch for Owens' name to even come up again for a starting spot.

Grzegorz
04-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Quentin should stay in the lineup until he proves that he cannot contribute consistently.

This means Owens stays in AAA.

Frater Perdurabo
04-09-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm agreeing with a lot of the posts here. I think that Richar (when he's healthy) and Ramirez should be Charlotte's starting middle infield, and Owens and Ozuna ought to be riding the bench for the Sox as pinch runners.

ChiTownTrojan
04-09-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm agreeing with a lot of the posts here. I think that Richar (when he's healthy) and Ramirez should be Charlotte's starting middle infield, and Owens and Ozuna ought to be riding the bench for the Sox as pinch runners.
Do we really need two guys on the bench whose only real value is as a pinch runner? Sure one is nice, but two?

I'm not really sure what I'd do with the final bench spots. It seems like for the first time in a long time we have a starting 9 that Ozzie (and most everyone here) is happy with puting out there every day. We need to keep Ozuna, because he's the only guy that can play all over the infield, and I like the way Ozzie's using BA as a defensive replacement. But I really don't see a need for either Owens or Ramirez right now. In truth, Ramirez probably offers the most value to the big league club due to his versatility, but not if he doesn't figure out how to hit big league pitching.

Basically, I think we've got almost all of our bases covered (no pun intended) with a 24-man team. Heck, why not give the last spot to Wasserman? Then we'd have a righty specialist, a lefty specialist, a long man, 3 setup guys, and a closer. I don't know if a 13-man pitching staff has ever been done, but I can't see why not.

Mr. White Sox
04-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Quentin has a better eye. Magglio didn't take a lot of walks or carry a spectacular on-base, last year notwithstanding. Quentin could be in line with Miguel Cabrera if he maxes out his potential. They seem to be similar hitters..although they're the same age and one's a third his way to the hall of fame and the other is just getting started.

And yes, he brings more defensively than Magglio.

Miguel Cabrera? Really? Cmon, really?
I love what I've seen so far from Quentin, and he could become a potential all-star in time, but I don't see him coming close to Miguel Cabrera's numbers any time soon...or ever, for that matter. He's not close in the power department.

Jurr
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Couldn't have been put any better. It's like a good resume....short and very to the point.

swish
04-09-2008, 03:23 PM
With the way that things are going currently, I am struggling to find reasons why Owens even should come back.
I couldn't agree more, Quentin is doing great! I love the outfield and infield as it is! I hope to see the guys who started on opening day as our "everyday starters"
I say maybe send Alexi Rameriz down- 1 for 9 with 4 strikeouts...not too impressive