PDA

View Full Version : Praise for NBC 5; shame on WGN 9

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Last week, NBC 5 broadcast its morning news from Wrigley Field with Rob Elgas, Andy Avalos, Matt Rodewald, and Laurence Holmes all on hand. WGN 9 did the same thing with its entire morning crew doing the program from a Sheffield rooftop.

Today, for our home opener, NBC 5 delivered with Elgas, Avalos, Rodewald, and Holmes all at the Cell for today's program. The fact that NBC 5 gives that coverage committment to us is one of several reasons why NBC 5 is the best station in town. But WGN 9 did not send its whole crew to the Cell. Only Pat Tomasulo is at the Cell, as far as I've seen. Now I cannot believe WGN would do something like this.

EDIT: Oops. I thought I was in WTS. Mods, please move as appropriate.

itsnotrequired
04-07-2008, 08:17 AM
hate The Media

Kilroy
04-07-2008, 08:36 AM
The fact that NBC 5 gives that coverage committment to us is one of several reasons why NBC 5 is the best station in town.

NBC is usually pretty fair in its baseball coverage, unlike some of the other stations. But make no mistake... The reason NBC is the best is plain and simple... Ginger Zee.

rocky biddle
04-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Dean Richards was at the park this morning and did a tour of some Bridgeport establishments. Also, Ana Belaval was at a live remote with Mike North. And like you mentioned, Pat Tomasulo did his sports segments from the field.

Granted, they didn't do the whole show from the park. But (a) there are no rooftops overlooking the field to easily use as a temporary set, and (b) nobody wants Tom Negovan in the neighborhood anyway.

Chicken Dinner
04-07-2008, 01:34 PM
WGN does stand for "Worlds Greatest Newspaper" which happens to be the Chicago Tribune, sole owners at this time, of WGN TV and the Chicago Cubs.

kaufsox
04-07-2008, 02:45 PM
The reason NBC is the best is plain and simple... Ginger Zee.

OY! you are correct sir!:leer:

PatK
04-07-2008, 02:49 PM
I just caught a blurb on CLTV and it looks like their guy isn't anywhere near the park.

soxpride724
04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
This mornings Sun-Times sports section, didn't mention the home opener til like the third page in I believe, scrubs get the first mention with their less than imperssive win yesterday.:whiner:

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't think WGN even had "Skip Parker" there today.

DSpivack
04-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I just caught a blurb on CLTV and it looks like their guy isn't anywhere near the park.

Also owned by the Tribune Corporation.

Lip Man 1
04-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Does the fact that they were showing the Cubs-Pirates game factor into this? It started at 12:30 Chicago time so they had a shorter afternoon newscast.

Wasn't the Cubs game last Monday (their home opener) later starting, giving WGN more time to do things like this?

Not defending, but I am wondering.

Lip

spiffie
04-07-2008, 10:32 PM
They devoted at least 10-15 minutes out of each hour this morning to the White Sox home opener. If that's not enough for some people, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps www.hangarinteractive.com (http://www.hangarinteractive.com) is searching for new members. :scratch:

santo=dorf
04-07-2008, 10:45 PM
They devoted at least 10-15 minutes out of each hour this morning to the White Sox home opener. If that's not enough for some people, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps www.hangarinteractive.com (http://www.hangarinteractive.com) is searching for new members. :scratch:
Translation por favor

Frontman
04-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Meh. I thought the local media did enough. I'd rather have a little less of the over-the-top routines that Opening Day brings out of the media (although Mike North's Hawk Harrelson impression contest this morning brought a chuckle out of me.)

And also, this is the second week of the season, the Sox opened after a road trip. While its the Sox (and their fanbase's) Home Opener; the season is a week old.

BainesHOF
04-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Wouldn't it be something if we won the World Series again this year considering all the attention the Cubs received in the preseason and all the negativity we received?

Then what would the media do?

kittle42
04-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Wouldn't it be something if we won the World Series again this year considering all the attention the Cubs received in the preseason and all the negativity we received?

Then what would the media do?

The Sox would need to win at least two more WS is a row to eliminate the Cubbie love, and it probably still wouldn't happen.

But ask yourselves: why do you WANT those people?

Foulke You
04-08-2008, 12:36 AM
WGN news at 9 devoted a decent chunk of time to Opening Day but it was not the lead story as Cubs opener usually is. My only real complaint about the coverage was that the reporter covering the "fan reaction" section of the segment twice referred to the crowd as "almost a sellout" at The Cell. Um, WGN, the game WAS soldout today. :rolleyes:

roylestillman
04-08-2008, 10:30 AM
WGN news at 9 devoted a decent chunk of time to Opening Day but it was not the lead story as Cubs opener usually is. My only real complaint about the coverage was that the reporter covering the "fan reaction" section of the segment twice referred to the crowd as "almost a sellout" at The Cell. Um, WGN, the game WAS soldout today. :rolleyes:

Dan Roan corrected the "near sellout" line later in the sports.

The pre-game head scratcher had to be Mike North's celebration of White Sox Opening Day live from The Lux Bar on West Bellvue.

minutia
04-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I also heard that you could not watch the game yesterday except on cable. WGN went with the Cubs in Pittsburgh. Now I know what can you expect, they own the team but this was our opener and it should of been televised.

duke of dorwood
04-08-2008, 11:19 PM
NBC is usually pretty fair in its baseball coverage, unlike some of the other stations. But make no mistake... The reason NBC is the best is plain and simple... Ginger Zee.

http://images32.fotki.com/v1088/photos/1/1037183/5852899/snapshot756-vi.jpg?1201591774

Chilli Palmer
04-08-2008, 11:40 PM

Hangar does sometimes go overboard with his obsession with the local media, but you have to admit its true to an extent.

Stringer
04-12-2008, 04:44 AM
I hate all Chicago sports media