PDA

View Full Version : The ignorance of Detroit Fans

sox230
04-07-2008, 01:07 AM
I'm a senior at Michigan so as any responsible Sox fan would, I made the 45 minute drive to check out my boys in person on Saturday. After we won the ridiculously weird game (look at the box score) Detroit fans kept giving me crap for wearing my Konerko jersey. I normally brush things off, especially since I was alone, but one comment got me riled up. The guy said, "Why don't you go back to the crack-whore houses on the South Side of Chicago." :o: WOW. I usually don't stoop to that level, but I responded "You live in Detroit. Why don't you built a city people actually wanna visit." He then said "I'm gunna make u look embarrased in front of all your black Sox fans (I'm white)." :o: Once again WOW. Nice generalization. I responded, "Well when you win a game this season, we can talk." Let me tell ya, that felt soooo good. I was truly amazed at the ignorance and blatant foolish behavior of sober and drunk Tiger fans like this fool alike. They represented their city and ball park very poorly. Has anyone else here had a run-in with Detroit fans like these?

chisoxmike
04-07-2008, 01:11 AM
I'm a senior at Michigan so as any responsible Sox fan would, I made the 45 minute drive to check out my boys in person on Saturday. After we won the ridiculously weird game (look at the box score) Detroit fans kept giving me crap for wearing my Konerko jersey. I normally brush things off, especially since I was alone, but one comment got me riled up. The guy said, "Why don't you go back to the crack-whore houses on the South Side of Chicago." :o: WOW. I usually don't stoop to that level, but I responded "You live in Detroit. Why don't you built a city people actually wanna visit." He then said "I'm gunna make u look embarrased in front of all your black Sox fans (I'm white)." :o: Once again WOW. Nice generalization. I responded, "Well when you win a game this season, we can talk." Let me tell ya, that felt soooo good. I was truly amazed at the ignorance and blatant foolish behavior of sober and drunk Tiger fans like this fool alike. They represented their city and ball park very poorly. Has anyone else here had a run-in with Detroit fans like these?

For some reason, Tigers fans absolutely hate the Sox. They use every stereotype about the Sox and the fans in the book when talking about us. Just check out Motown Sports.com. Their Sox logo has a U instead of a O. Everyone refers to us as "the sux" and there is a picture people keep posting of a shot of the field with Steve Dahl and all the on field incidents they had in '02 and '03.

FedEx227
04-07-2008, 01:13 AM
I laughed at the crack houses remark.

You can't be Detroit and making fun of other cities potentially run down areas, whether true or not... because you're Detroit.... Detroit...you're... Detroit.

chisoxmike
04-07-2008, 01:16 AM

You can't be Detroit and making fun of other cities potentially run down areas, whether true or not... because you're Detroit.... Detroit...you're... Detroit.

Thats the best part of the whole thing. They make fun of the "dangerous" South Side with all gangsters, people shooting each other, how everyone is a "crackhead."

Thats pretty funny coming from people in Detroit. Where all the stereotypes are true. Detroit is a total ****ing ****hole. I didn't believe all the talk about it until I went up there for a Sox/Tigers series in 2006. I said to myself "Wow, this place is really, really ****ty. Every stereotype about this city is true."

WhiteSox5187
04-07-2008, 01:16 AM
I think the rivalry between us and Detroit really started with the massive brawl in 2000 which was something Hawk and DJ were talking about on Friday I think. The few Tiger fans I've talked to (usually when visiting the Cell) have generally been polite and knowledgeable. But of course EVERY fan base has a few idiots who generally make up about 1% of the fan base (a bit larger for the Cubs). Great come back though "When you win a game, we can talk." :smile:

ksimpson14
04-07-2008, 01:19 AM
That's bad, but I'm going to give the other fans the benefit of the doubt, and not let one (or a few other) idiots make everyone look bad. A moron and too much to drink don't mix well.

I don't know why, I've never felt the rivalry with Detroit (in terms of baseball. I'm also in the younger gen and haven't seen a ton of Tigers teams that really competed with us anyways). #1 on my hate list is easily Cleveland. #2 is Minnesota, moreso the team and players than the fans though (Cleveland definitely includes the fans for me).

ksimpson14
04-07-2008, 01:20 AM
I think the rivalry between us and Detroit really started with the massive brawl in 2000 which was something Hawk and DJ were talking about on Friday I think. The few Tiger fans I've talked to (usually when visiting the Cell) have generally been polite and knowledgeable. But of course EVERY fan base has a few idiots who generally make up about 1% of the fan base (a bit larger for the Cubs). Great come back though "When you win a game, we can talk." :smile:

Ha, almost forgot about that ball. Actually, yeah, I did dislike them then, mainly guys like Robert Fick, still, the other two I listed are still higher on the list for me

JoeClutch24
04-07-2008, 01:30 AM
I hate that city! Detroit's teams are the biggest choke artists since the Cubs. Red Wings vs. Ducks CHOKE. Pistons vs. Cavs. CHOKE. 2006 World Series CHOKE.

AZSoxPosse
04-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Detroit fans have been the most obnoxious fans forever. I can remember many times sitting in front of them at Old Comiskey when Sox teams struggled and they always seemed to smack us around. I've never forgiven the entire team for the actions of Dick McAulliffe when he slid way out of the basepath on a force at second and wiped out a Sox player (Al Weis?) way back when, ending his season. And they had other sore losers on their team, especially Denny McLain (even though he was a South Sider) and Bill Freehan, a real crybaby.

Scottiehaswheels
04-07-2008, 01:42 AM
During the clinching series in '05 some guy up there threatened to stab me... I laughed at him... That's about the worst I've ever experienced at another ballpark though... Usually everyone is pretty nice to me when I'm on roadtrips...

MrRoboto83
04-07-2008, 01:52 AM
For some reason, Tigers fans absolutely hate the Sox. They use every stereotype about the Sox and the fans in the book when talking about us. Just check out Motown Sports.com. Their Sox logo has a U instead of a O. Everyone refers to us as "the sux" and there is a picture people keep posting of a shot of the field with Steve Dahl and all the on field incidents they had in '02 and '03.

Well people on here including me refer to Detroit as Detoliet. No question the best comeback was "You're in Detroit" enough said.

RadioheadRocks
04-07-2008, 02:04 AM

Thats the best part of the whole thing. They make fun of the "dangerous" South Side with all gangsters, people shooting each other, how everyone is a "crackhead."

Thats pretty funny coming from people in Detroit. Where all the stereotypes are true. Detroit is a total ****ing ****hole. I didn't believe all the talk about it until I went up there for a Sox/Tigers series in 2006. I said to myself "Wow, this place is really, really ****ty. Every stereotype about this city is true."

Exactly, you know what they say about people living in glass houses...

whtsx1959
04-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Yes every team has fans who are rude and un'fan'manlike
I remember at the Illinois-Penn State football game last year, an obnoxious student told a 65 year old Penn State fan to 'take that **** off you bitch'. I don't think he had all his inhibitions, but he does did not represent all Illini fans nor are we all ignorant.

But, when need be, just look at a map, Detroit is the armpit of America.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-07-2008, 02:13 AM
I do believe that Timberwolf has returned. A perennial Twinkies troll.

Edit: His post from this thread has been roadhoused -- never mind.

JB98
04-07-2008, 02:31 AM
Well people on here including me refer to Detroit as Detoliet. No question the best comeback was "You're in Detroit" enough said.

We always seem to get a handful of Detroit fans at the Cell when the Tigers come to town. Whenever they try to talk ****, I just remind them that win or lose, they have to go back to Detoilet after the game.

Corlose 15
04-07-2008, 07:12 AM
I've said this before but Detroit sports fans, including Michigan fans (sorry sox230:smile:) are some of the most obnoxious, loudmouthed, arrogant, ignorant pieces of crap in sports.

That said, I've gone to several games in Detroit at both Tiger Stadium and Comerica and have only had an issue once when I went to a game in '01 some drunks started giving us crap. That's the kind of crap I have no patience for, just shut up and watch the damn game.

As for Detroit itself, let me put it this way, I went to middle school and high school in the FAR west suburbs of Detroit and I remember girls in my class going into Chicago to go shopping for the weekend. I thought that was pretty damning evidence for how bad Detroit is.

Detroit and Flint are the pimples on the ass of the great state of Michigan.

C-Dawg
04-07-2008, 07:21 AM
I was truly amazed at the ignorance and blatant foolish behavior of sober and drunk Tiger fans like this fool alike. They represented their city and ball park very poorly. Has anyone else here had a run-in with Detroit fans like these?

Every time I've been to Cleveland, I've had the exact same experiences you are describing. No trouble in Detroit however; my only visit there was a game in 2003 which I don't think even topped 10,000 fans. Their fans were pretty quiet that day!

Corlose 15
04-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Every time I've been to Cleveland, I've had the exact same experiences you are describing. No trouble in Detroit however; my only visit there was a game in 2003 which I don't think even topped 10,000 fans. Their fans were pretty quiet that day!

I went to game with my brother in August of '03 and we sat in the left field stands at Comerica and it was predominantly Sox fans.

Yeah, but this is the kind of thing that irks me no matter what team you're a fan of. What kind of a loser doesn't have anything better to do than go to a game and get blitzed and harass somebody just because they wear a different color shirt than you. Get a life.

I'm not talking about good natured ribbing, that's fine, I'm talking about over the line, drunken obnoxiousness.

turners56
04-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Crappy city = crappy teams = crappy fans. There you go, 'nuff said.

itsnotrequired
04-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Engaging fans of the opposing team in conversation about the merits of their respective cities is always civil, respectful and educational. When booze is involved, the discourse is on par with classical Greek philosophy.

C-Dawg
04-07-2008, 08:58 AM
I went to game with my brother in August of '03 and we sat in the left field stands at Comerica and it was predominantly Sox fans.

We may have been at the same game. Jon Garland got the win, and Frank hit a HR.

This was right after Neal Cotts did his start at Yankee Stadium. I remember all the Sox fans at Comerica, and there were a few guys hassleing Jerry Manual. "Hey Jerry, where's Neal?? When are we going to see that Neal guy again??". It was funny in an ironic sort of way; although the Sox were still in first place the gut feeling was that they were there despite Jerry's managerial acumen.

cws05champ
04-07-2008, 09:18 AM
You were at a divisional rivals stadium early in the season at a time when they are struggling, when they were expected to be very good. You have to expect some of that treatment...as long as you don't stoop down to that level and fire back in kind, it usually goes away(especially when the sox are kicking their ass).
Also, when they were saying black Sox fans...I think they were saying "Black Sox" fans(1919), not "black" sox fans.

It makes it a lot easier to walk out of there after a sweep though! :gulp::gulp:

Corlose 15
04-07-2008, 09:29 AM
We may have been at the same game. Jon Garland got the win, and Frank hit a HR.

This was right after Neal Cotts did his start at Yankee Stadium. I remember all the Sox fans at Comerica, and there were a few guys hassleing Jerry Manual. "Hey Jerry, where's Neal?? When are we going to see that Neal guy again??". It was funny in an ironic sort of way; although the Sox were still in first place the gut feeling was that they were there despite Jerry's managerial acumen.

Nope. Loaiza started and was in danger of losing 1-0 to the Tigers for like the 3rd time that year before Crede broke it open in the 7th or 8th. The Sox won 6-1.

Ex-Chicagoan
04-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Luck of the draw. I was at the Tigers/Royals game last Wednesday and had no problems whatsoever. Last Sox game I attended (July '06), the drunks in our section ruined the game for me. I don't think that either event sums up the entire fanbases.

Frontman
04-07-2008, 09:39 AM

Yeah, but this is the kind of thing that irks me no matter what team you're a fan of. What kind of a loser doesn't have anything better to do than go to a game and get blitzed and harass somebody just because they wear a different color shirt than you. Get a life.

I'm not talking about good natured ribbing, that's fine, I'm talking about over the line, drunken obnoxiousness.

As long as everyone is having fun, a few jokers here and there aren't a bad thing. But when it turns ugly, or when people get downright insulting or swearing? No need to be crude. I've had some fun with fans from other parks, but never to the point that they would ever feel bad about coming to see a Sox game (matter of fact, I tend to be one of the Sox fans who speak up and say "knock it off" when someone is going over the line.)

LoveYourSuit
04-07-2008, 09:54 AM
When visiting other ballparks, I used to always wear my colors loud and proud. But being witness of way too many incidents where ignorant home team fans act like complete jerks to the opposition.... I go the casual route and leave my colors at home or at most maybe just wear a cap.

I've seen some incidents which made me realize that within 40K fans at a game not everyone there has all their senses lined up correctly. It is too easy for say a convict to grab a $20 Ticket.

Sad thing also is that I have noticed some of the Sox fans at the Cell be complete jerks to other team fans.... It's very sad.

DumpJerry
04-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, this guy was probably upset knowing that, given all the pre-season hype about the ALC, his team has already lost 10% of the losses allowed to win the division.:D:

jabrch
04-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, this guy was probably upset knowing that, given all the pre-season hype about the ALC, his team has already lost 10% of the losses allowed to win the division.:D:

That's the funniest part of the whole thing...

It isn't how much Detroit sucks.

It isn't the insane hypocrisy or a Detroit fan critcising Chicago.

It is that the team that many picked to be the best team in the AL, and nearly all significant pundits have making the post season, is now 0-6 with all their games played at home, vs their own division. Nobody loses a division in April. But going 0-6 vs your division to start the season is historically unwise.

Maybe they should bring up Rick Porcello. He will fix everything.

kittle42
04-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Sad thing also is that I have noticed some of the Sox fans at the Cell be complete jerks to other team fans.... It's very sad.

I have seen plenty of behavior at the Cell that has made me want to give up sports fandom. People are just stupid.

thomas35forever
04-07-2008, 11:51 AM
You only need to know one thing: "De-troit sucks! De-troit sucks!"

Navarro's Talent
04-07-2008, 12:55 PM
I've only been to one Sox/Tigers game at Comerica. I didn't really have any problems in the bleachers that day, but I didn't seem to be sitting by any diehards either. The Sox lost the game, though, and I heard some stuff on the way out. I couldn't tell you what was said because I was too busy ignoring hecklers and thinking about how Brian Anderson was the only one who brought his 'A' game that day.

Lip Man 1
04-07-2008, 01:01 PM
In the early "placid" 60's, Tiger fans used to throw completely full "beer cans" at the Sox players when they'd be in Tiger Stadium. Some were tossed from the upper deck.

It's a miracle someone wasn't seriously hurt or killed.

That "trend" continued into the 70's when hard booze was sneaked in.

Detroit fans have a long history of these type of activities.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
04-07-2008, 01:19 PM
In the early "placid" 60's, Tiger fans used to throw completely full "beer cans" at the Sox players when they'd be in Tiger Stadium. Some were tossed from the upper deck.

It's a miracle someone wasn't seriously hurt or killed.

That "trend" continued into the 70's when hard booze was sneaked in.

Detroit fans have a long history of these type of activities.

Lip
Well, in defense of Tiger fans, if I lived in Detroit in the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s and today, I'd probably wanna be loaded a good portion of the time.

But like I said, I don't think this is the "norm" for most Tiger fans. And there have been plenty of occasions at the Cell where I have left thinking "Man, I'm almost ashamed to call myself a Sox fan if these guys are considered Sox fans." But then I remind myself that they're not, they're the sort that go to the game to get loaded. And I wind up feeling better.

Huisj
04-07-2008, 01:59 PM
We always seem to get a handful of Detroit fans at the Cell when the Tigers come to town. Whenever they try to talk ****, I just remind them that win or lose, they have to go back to Detoilet after the game.

The problem is, almost all the people at the game don't go home to Detroit, they go home to Troy, Dearborn, Pontiac, Sterling Heights, Livonia, and so on and so on. They have their comfortable boring suburbs to go hide in after the games.

A.T. Money
04-07-2008, 02:03 PM
It's highly likely that if I went to see the Sox play in Detroit, I would probably just wear normal street clothes and enjoy the game quietly.

It's hard for me to not show my colors, but the reality is, it's better to be safe. People get crazy when liquored up and it wouldn't be fun to get abused.

soxpride724
04-07-2008, 02:11 PM
It was the last series of the season last year when I had my run in with the Detoliet fans. Now mind you, both teams were done for the year and we played alot of our guys from Charlotte. It just amazed me how much smack they talked, for a team that was no better off than us, and in OUR house.

Rockin Robin
04-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I have yet to go to a baseball game and not find knucklehead fans. No matter what the team is.

...Ok maybe not at a Packer game.

[/bait]

PatK
04-07-2008, 02:58 PM

It's not just Tigers fans that think like that- pretty much everyone I know from around the country tells me that's how we are portrayed- drunken violent white trash.

They are always surprised at how we actually are, and always make some kind of comment about how we are much better behaived and knowledgable than a certain team on the North Side that somehow gets labeled as having the greatest fans in MLB.

DVsoxfan
04-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Yea, I was at the game saturday as well. Tigers fans are morons in general, and Detroit is a dump. A couple nice guys in the upper deck were congratulating me on Quentins cannon throw, but thats about it. The rest were just morons. A couple guys were convinced that Juan Uribe played in the "Cuban League", even though he played 2nd base later in the game

fquaye149
04-07-2008, 04:56 PM
let's be fair: UM sucks

PennStater98r
04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I remember at the Illinois-Penn State football game last year, an obnoxious student told a 65 year old Penn State fan to 'take that **** off you bitch'.

WHAT!?

Let me at 'im!

nug0hs
04-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Yes, I put up with a lot of garbage very similar to this while spending 4 years in Kalamazoo. The problem is most Tigers fans are from the suburbs, some of which are halfway decent, so the easiest comeback usually doesnt apply. Wouldnt worry about it too much. Just ask them what they were doing in October of 2005.

Ex-Chicagoan
04-07-2008, 06:42 PM
let's be fair: UM sucks

And we have yet another example.

pierzynski07
04-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Yes, I put up with a lot of garbage very similar to this while spending 4 years in Kalamazoo. The problem is most Tigers fans are from the suburbs, some of which are halfway decent, so the easiest comeback usually doesnt apply. Wouldnt worry about it too much. Just ask them what they were doing in October of 2005.
:scratch: Cubs fans, sure. But Tigers?

UofCSoxFan
04-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Detroit is trash. I went to a Sox game in Comerica last year and a Bears game in Ford Field this year and both times people tried to talk about Chicago...my response was how much I was looking forwared to drive home and get the Hell out of that crapfest of a city.

There's a reason people are moving out of Detroit....many of them are finding there way to Chicago too.

skottyj242
04-08-2008, 11:01 AM

I went to the Saturday afternoon game, the Sunday morning Hawks/Red Wings game and the Sunday night Sox game, wearing a Sox hat all weekend. Sox hat and jersey to the baseball games and Hawks sweater to the hockey gamen and didn't run into any problems besides the normal ribbing. We went to a few bars in the neighborhood and I actually met some really cool people. Anyone that knows me that I can be pretty obnoxious while drinking and we drank all weekend and I didn't have any problems.

asg2003ws2005
04-08-2008, 11:32 AM
I'd reply with "Where's robocop when you need him?"

geraldfritz
04-08-2008, 08:08 PM
You only need to know one thing: "De-troit sucks! De-troit sucks!"

Thats funny, me and my buddies were chanting that outside gate 2 before the gates opened on monday, although we were playing the twins. I figured that is my new thing this year. Just start chanting "Detroit Sucks" no matter who we are playing.

chisoxfanatic
04-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Thats funny, me and my buddies were chanting that outside gate 2 before the gates opened on monday, although we were playing the twins. I figured that is my new thing this year. Just start chanting "Detroit Sucks" no matter who we are playing.

That kind of stuff drives me crazy! I could be at a Blackhawks/Bolts game, and I'll hear people in the crowd chanting "Detroit Sucks!" Ummm, we're not playing Detroit, so that is TOTALLY out of place!

WhiteSox5187
04-09-2008, 12:25 AM
That kind of stuff drives me crazy! I could be at a Blackhawks/Bolts game, and I'll hear people in the crowd chanting "Detroit Sucks!" Ummm, we're not playing Detroit, so that is TOTALLY out of place!
I agree 100%. Though I have to admit, I once tried to start a "Cubs suck" chant during the playoffs in '05. It was all in jest because we had just won game one of the WS and my brother started a "Three more wins!" chant and my cousin started the "Jose, Jose, Jose!" chant so now I was trying to think of something so I just meagerly chanted "Cubbies suck?" and I sorta raised my voice like it was a question to show I was joking and this guy turned around instantly and snapped "NO! WE KNOW THEY SUCK! THAT'S WHY THEY'RE NOT HERE!" and the guy walking with him said "Dude, he was clearly joking." I was actually quite glad that someone said that though.

jenn2080
04-09-2008, 09:26 AM

Where were the Sox in 2006?:scratch:

doublem23
04-09-2008, 09:27 AM

Not losing the World Series to an 82-80 team.

D. TODD
04-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Those fans are in every ballpark, and many of the comments about Detroit fans and the area has been attributed to the Sox and it's area as well. As ridiculous as they are many here have just stereotyped Detroit in the same manner. The area around the park was fine with me, no big ugly scary environment etc.

When I am at a visiting ballpark (about 15 so far) I try no to be a loud obnoxious type fan. You are asking for comments. Even wearing the out of towns jersey is more then I will do. I cheer for my team without going nuts about it and usually don't have confrontations. Lord knows our fans ride out of towns fans big time in the Cell. Let's not be hypocritical.

ChiTownTrojan
04-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I'd caution you all not to judge an entire fanbase based on a handful of stupid fans. A lot of people judged us after the incident with the Royals first-base coach a few years back.

kittle42
04-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I'd caution you all not to judge an entire fanbase based on a handful of stupid fans. A lot of people judged us after the incident with the Royals first-base coach a few years back.

THANK YOU, and that actually even stands true for Cubs fans (though not as much! :D:)

The double standard is employed a lot around here.

The only fanbase I will grant you is terrible almost 90% of the time is Michigan. :cool:

the gooch
04-09-2008, 12:32 PM
my cousin in the detroit area once said, "detroit is a lot like chicago, except that we are pissed off we aren't chicago."

kraut83
04-09-2008, 01:05 PM
The only fanbase I will grant you is terrible almost 90% of the time is Michigan. :cool:

:)

BTW, I was at the Friday and Saturday game and didn't have any problems. I usually meet a lot of good baseball people when I'm over there.

twsoxfan5
04-09-2008, 01:51 PM

At home watching the Tigers give away a World Series.

Bigfoot38
04-09-2008, 06:50 PM
In 2006? I went up to Detroit with my mom for a big 3 game summer series, and while we were waiting for the hotel cab to pick us up, a ignorant pair of mid 20s detroit fans tell us the sox won after Paul Konerko hit a 2 run homer in the 6th that proved to be the difference.

I love it when fans tell you your team sucks after your team wins, what does that make their team then?

Other than that they were relatively nice. But this was all before Detroit was good and consistent, and we kept on beating them anyway.

Chilli Palmer
04-09-2008, 07:07 PM
my cousin in the detroit area once said, "detroit is a lot like chicago, except that we are pissed off we aren't chicago."

My ex is from the Detroit area (Farmington Hills) and for some reason they just have such an inferiority complex about Chicago it just makes you wonder.

I guess being from the ****tiest city in America will do that to you.

Red Barchetta
04-09-2008, 07:58 PM

Whenever visiting fans comment about the dangers around SOX park, I always remind them it's the "other ballpark" in Chicago where the fan was shot after the game and has the higher crime rate.

nedlug
04-09-2008, 09:42 PM
I went on Sunday. Aside from the casual, funny 'Boo', the fans were actually great. They started leaving en masse around the 7th inning, but you couldn't blame them at 0-5 and down a bunch already.

Thome25
04-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Check this out: http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58721

I'm trying to open up some good civil conversation here.