PDA

View Full Version : New reason to hate the Cubs

russ99
04-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Now they play that god-awful "Go Cubs Go" song, Red Sox "Sweet Caroline" singalong-style after wins... .

:chunks

TDog
04-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Now they play that god-awful "Go Cubs Go" song, Red Sox "Sweet Caroline" singalong-style after wins... .

It won't be done as often as people expect.

russ99
04-06-2008, 05:01 PM
It won't be done as often as people expect.

Let's hope not... Especially in our ballpark.

santo=dorf
04-06-2008, 05:03 PM
What rock did you crawl out from under? They've been doing it for years. :whocares:

fquaye149
04-06-2008, 05:09 PM
I thought people here would be "Chicago" fans.

:scratch:

thomas35forever
04-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I only started noticing this last year. All I can say is the less this song is played after games, the better.

itsnotrequired
04-06-2008, 05:39 PM
This will be a massive source of annoyance for me during all those times I never go to the games.

Nellie_Fox
04-06-2008, 05:53 PM

:scratch:You can't be serious.

fquaye149
04-06-2008, 05:54 PM
You can't be serious.

I wasn't

itsnotrequired
04-06-2008, 06:23 PM
I wasn't

I don't if you are aware of this or not but here at WSI, teal-colored text is used to indicate sarcasm. An example would be something like "I hate the White Sox."

To change the text color, highlight the text you wish to change color and then click on the "down" arrow next to the "A" which is just to the right of the font size box. When you click on the arrow, a palette of colors will be presented. Select teal and you are done!

Hopefully this lesson will help you avoid embarrassing gaffs in the future.

:welcome:

soltrain21
04-06-2008, 06:23 PM
And we sing Steam when a pitcher gets pulled, and start each game with "Thunderstruck."

Differences, please?

oeo
04-06-2008, 06:31 PM
And we sing Steam when a pitcher gets pulled, and start each game with "Thunderstruck."

Differences, please?

Many. If you wanted to make a parallel, you should have mentioned, "Let's Go Go Go White Sox." The two songs you mentioned have nothing to do with the other.

The major difference between the Sox song and the Cubs song, though, is the Cubs song sucks major ass.

soltrain21
04-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Many. If you wanted to make a parallel, you should have mentioned, "Let's Go Go Go White Sox." The two songs you mentioned have nothing to do with the other.

The major difference between the Sox song and the Cubs song, though, is the Cubs song sucks major ass.

They are songs played at a baseball game, you guys are just so Cubcessed that you want to hate anything and everything they do.

Some of you would roll your eyes if the Cubs built baseball fields for underprivileged areas. It's ridiculious.

ksimpson14
04-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Some of you would roll your eyes if the Cubs built baseball fields for underprivileged areas. It's ridiculious.

Copycats

TDog
04-06-2008, 06:47 PM

I haven't watched a Cubs game on television in this century (so, really, I don't care what they doat their games). I don't consider them Chicago baseball.

oeo
04-06-2008, 06:49 PM
They are songs played at a baseball game, you guys are just so Cubcessed that you want to hate anything and everything they do.

And neither the Steam song or Thunderstruck have anything to do with the Sox, they just happen to be used at Sox games.

I really don't give a **** that the song is being played at Wrigley...whatever kind of lame songs they want to play there is up to them; it won't bother me because I would never be caught dead at a Flubs game. What I hate, is having to hear it on the radio, or on the news. The song is a)terrible and b)annoying as hell.

DumpJerry
04-06-2008, 06:51 PM
What's the problem? Are you a Cub and Red Sox season ticket holder looking for peace and quiet after the home team wins?

News flash: 99% of us were unaware of this about the Cubs' games until you started this thread. Why? We don't go to Cub games. If you're not at the Cubs' game, you won't hear them sing it. Problem solved and lunch is saved.

fquaye149
04-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I don't if you are aware of this or not but here at WSI, teal-colored text is used to indicate sarcasm. An example would be something like "I hate the White Sox."

To change the text color, highlight the text you wish to change color and then click on the "down" arrow next to the "A" which is just to the right of the font size box. When you click on the arrow, a palette of colors will be presented. Select teal and you are done!

Thanks for the hint! And thanks for the warm words of welcome!

StillMissOzzie
04-06-2008, 07:07 PM

How come I can't find that Rollins "LIAR!" tag?

SMO
:tongue:

soxpride724
04-06-2008, 07:32 PM
My neighbor whistles that damn song when he hangs his white W flag after every win. Stupidest ****in thing I've ever seen.

MarySwiss
04-06-2008, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the hint! And thanks for the warm words of welcome!

Now, now, shush, shush, be good, you two!

itsnotrequired
04-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Stupidest ****in thing I've ever seen.

Can you believe the Sox shoot off fireworks if they win?

itsnotrequired
04-06-2008, 07:51 PM
:tealpolice:Now, now, shush, shush, be good, you two!

santo=dorf
04-06-2008, 07:54 PM
What's the problem? Are you a Cub and Red Sox season ticket holder looking for peace and quiet after the home team wins?

News flash: 99% of us were unaware of this about the Cubs' games until you started this thread. Why? We don't go to Cub games. If you're not at the Cubs' game, you won't hear them sing it. Problem solved and lunch is saved.

Speak for yourself. They've been blaring this old garbage song from at least 2003. I recall WGN cutting into a White Sox-Royals game with coverage of the Cubs clinching over the Pirates and you could hear this stupid song in the background. They also play this stupid song when the Cubs beat the Sox at Wrigley, games some of our posters go to.

It's not 99% of us didn't know. It's 99% of us don't care.

fquaye149
04-06-2008, 08:01 PM
:tealpolice:

:tealtutor:

Boondock Saint
04-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Let me preface this post by saying that I'm fully aware that I might get lit up for this, but it needs to be said...

Sometimes I am baffled by the blind hatred of the Cubs on this site. Yes, I know it's a Sox site. I know they get an absurd amount of (biased) media attention despite how much they've sucked over the last century. I know that they're our rivals, and everything else...but me, personally, I'm a baseball fan as well as a Sox fan. I went to a Cub game last week with a few of my Cub fan friends, and you know what? I had a blast. Not because it was the Cubs, not because it was Wrigley, but because a day at the ballpark with a beer and a hot dog beats a day just about anywhere else.

If you're not watching the games, who the hell cares what song they're playing before/during/after the games? Sometimes it's just better to ignore it.

I love the discussions on here about various biases/favoritisms/whatnot that goes on in baseball, but sometimes there's little else going on except for "Look what they're doing NOW..."

*sigh*

fquaye149
04-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Let me preface this post by saying that I'm fully aware that I might get lit up for this, but it needs to be said...

Sometimes I am baffled by the blind hatred of the Cubs on this site. Yes, I know it's a Sox site. I know they get an absurd amount of (biased) media attention despite how much they've sucked over the last century. I know that they're our rivals, and everything else...but me, personally, I'm a baseball fan as well as a Sox fan. I went to a Cub game last week with a few of my Cub fan friends, and you know what? I had a blast. Not because it was the Cubs, not because it was Wrigley, but because a day at the ballpark with a beer and a hot dog beats a day just about anywhere else.

If you're not watching the games, who the hell cares what song they're playing before/during/after the games? Sometimes it's just better to ignore it.

I love the discussions on here about various biases/favoritisms/whatnot that goes on in baseball, but sometimes there's little else going on except for "Look what they're doing NOW..."

*sigh*

A lot of people share your opinion.

itsnotrequired
04-06-2008, 08:59 PM

Why should you get lit up? Griping about a song played at Wrigley after a Cub win is mindless. It isn't like all the local newscasts are going to open with the song every time the Cubs win. For me, the only beef I would have is if they played something completely inappropriate (i.e. 2 Live Crew) or if it was some anti-Sox song.

Brian26
04-06-2008, 09:01 PM
This will be a massive source of annoyance for me during all those times I never go to the games.

:rolling:

fquaye149
04-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Why should you get lit up? Griping about a song played at Wrigley after a Cub win is mindless. It isn't like all the local newscasts are going to open with the song every time the Cubs win. For me, the only beef I would have is if they played something completely inappropriate (i.e. 2 Live Crew) or if it was some anti-Sox song.

There is a 2 live crew song similar to that 50's song "doo wah diddy"

I don't know as I would like to hear that after a sporting event win, but certainly that song ought to be mentioned in some capacity

itsnotrequired
04-06-2008, 09:06 PM
There is a 2 live crew song similar to that 50's song "doo wah diddy"

I don't know as I would like to hear that after a sporting event win, but certainly that song ought to be mentioned in some capacity

Won't someone PLEASE think of the children?

WhiteSox5187
04-06-2008, 11:10 PM

I thought it was so blatantly sarcastic that teal wasn't necessary. What the **** do I know though?

SoxandtheCityTee
04-06-2008, 11:15 PM
I thought it was so blatantly sarcastic that teal wasn't necessary. What the **** do I know though?

You're right. INR and fquaye are just having a bit of fun.

WhiteSox5187
04-07-2008, 01:20 AM
You're right. INR and fquaye are just having a bit of fun.

Ah, which answers the question: what the **** do I know? Apparently not a whole lot.

ksimpson14
04-07-2008, 01:32 AM
I have actually fallen through that 'why hate the Cubs' trap, and then multiple fans will remind me again and again. The media helps too. For me, it has nothing to do with the players, coaches, etc. Too many of their fans get too carried away with winning, especially when they haven't won jack yet, and then feel all high and mighty and go on to rip on the Sox and their fans every chance they get. I especially saw this last year, with the Sox having a bad year. Really hypocritical, since they've had their share of bad seasons, but it's always 'poor us, love us'. But it just annoyed me, you always hear about the Sox fans getting ripped since they only care about the Cubs, meanwhile, their fans win a division and then a ton of them went on to use their time to rip the Sox.

Random fans, or media Cub fans, it's brutal. Then, if a Sox fan responds, all you hear about is the Sox fans who only care about the Cubs. Heard no problems with Cub fans magically becoming Red Sox fans in 05, and cheering against the Sox, but what do I hear on the Score after the Cubs game 1 loss? Dan Bernstein uses the opening to rip on "pathetic douchebag Sox fans who are saynig Cubs suck!". Yeah, I'm sure he heard a lot of this while he was in Arizona. Please, it makes me sick.

Chilli Palmer
04-07-2008, 01:34 AM
Miller is one funny ****er.

FedEx227
04-07-2008, 01:58 AM
I have actually fallen through that 'why hate the Cubs' trap, and then multiple fans will remind me again and again. The media helps too. For me, it has nothing to do with the players, coaches, etc. Too many of their fans get too carried away with winning, especially when they haven't won jack yet, and then feel all high and mighty and go on to rip on the Sox and their fans every chance they get. I especially saw this last year, with the Sox having a bad year. Really hypocritical, since they've had their share of bad seasons, but it's always 'poor us, love us'. But it just annoyed me, you always hear about the Sox fans getting ripped since they only care about the Cubs, meanwhile, their fans win a division and then a ton of them went on to use their time to rip the Sox.

Random fans, or media Cub fans, it's brutal. Then, if a Sox fan responds, all you hear about is the Sox fans who only care about the Cubs. Heard no problems with Cub fans magically becoming Red Sox fans in 05, and cheering against the Sox, but what do I hear on the Score after the Cubs game 1 loss? Dan Bernstein uses the opening to rip on "pathetic douchebag Sox fans who are saynig Cubs suck!". Yeah, I'm sure he heard a lot of this while he was in Arizona. Please, it makes me sick.

What's helped me is just to stop caring.

When you see a Tribune story about the Cubs, just go to the next page.

When someone comes up to you and wants to talk Cubs I'll usually say "Yeah, Fukudome is pretty good.... you guys should really close Marmol." If they say anything Sox I just ignore it, whatever.

I don't really care if they win or lose, because I'm content with my teams.

It really helps, I use to be like you, I use to think I'm not going to ignore them, they are morons, etc. Of course they are morons, but it's like the tree falling in the forest and nobody hears it.

Don't give them an outlet to use their moronic abilities, just ignore them and enjoy your teams and their seasons. Right now my two guys Brewers and Sox are playing unbelievable ball, so I could care less about our neighbors to the north.

Nellie_Fox
04-07-2008, 02:07 AM
...but me, personally, I'm a baseball fan as well as a Sox fan. I went to a Cub game last week with a few of my Cub fan friends, and you know what? I had a blast.Since you just don't get it, there is no point in trying to explain it to you.

I'd rather be stabbed in the eye with a pencil than go to a Cubs game.

FedEx227
04-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Since you just don't get it, there is no point in trying to explain it to you.

No doubt. As I stated in my previous post, don't give Cubs fans an outlet to use their moronicness (it's a word now :D:) and Wrigley Field is a breeding ground for that moronicness, I wouldn't again step foot in that hell hole.

WhiteSox5187
04-07-2008, 02:15 AM
Since you just don't get it, there is no point in trying to explain it to you.

See, I draw the line at eyes. I have bad enough eyes as it is, I don't need them to be any worse by jamming something in them. If someone comes up to me and says "Go to a Cubs game or I jam this in your eye!" I go to the Cubs game...

but if he were to say "Go to the Cubs game or I stab you with this shank!" I say "Do your worst! I fear not death! Only objects in my eyes!"

Nellie_Fox
04-07-2008, 02:26 AM
See, I draw the line at eyes. I have bad enough eyes as it is, I don't need them to be any worse by jamming something in them. If someone comes up to me and says "Go to a Cubs game or I jam this in your eye!" I go to the Cubs game...

but if he were to say "Go to the Cubs game or I stab you with this shank!" I say "Do your worst! I fear not death! Only objects in my eyes!"Good point. I've spent thousand of dollars on my eyes, culminating in Lasik, over the years. I probably shouldn't waste that.

MUsoxfan
04-07-2008, 04:02 AM

Any day at a baseball game is better than a day at work.

MISoxfan
04-07-2008, 05:28 AM
A lot of Steve Goodman hate in this thread.

bigfoot
04-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Some of you would roll your eyes if the Cubs built baseball fields for underprivileged areas. It's ridiculious.[/quote]

It's called Wrigley, so far.

itsnotrequired
04-07-2008, 08:17 AM

Any day at a baseball game is better than a day at work.

:yup:

I make it to only about one Cub game a year, when my buddy scores free season tix from his boss for some games. Watching a Cubs day on a weekday afternoon is infinitely superior than sitting on conference calls or pouring over spreadsheets.

white sox bill
04-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I've spent my last dollar at Wrigelym however if someone wants to flip the cost, I'm there. I never said it wasn't fun, its just a dive. Hell I've gotten several phone numbers from females there not to mention a hook up one night after a flubs game :cool:! I've gotten over the "You must hate all things in Cubdumb to be a true Sox Fan" They have thier own thing and so do we. Us taking the trophy home cured me of that

kittle42
04-07-2008, 11:04 AM

Very true. Aside from the great Sammy, whom I already hated from his Sox days, and Mr. Sky Pointer, there haven't been too many Cubs I have actively disliked. The fanbase is the reason I despise the team.

russ99
04-07-2008, 11:11 AM
While you can draw parallels to "Na Na Hey Hey", I don't care if they sing their dumb song, but to hold hands and sing it all along in stupid cubbie glee right at the end of a game - to me that's really showing up the opponent.

Plus the Cubs are playing it over the loudspeakers, so they're encouraging it. Besides, we only play "Let's go go" during the game and we don't do the "Na Na Hey Hey" after every game, just for key moments. And with Nancy not doing night games, I rarely hear it at all.

itsnotrequired
04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
While you can draw parallels to "Na Na Hey Hey", I don't care if they sing their dumb song, but to hold hands and sing it all along in stupid cubbie glee right at the end of a game - to me that's really showing up the opponent.

What are your thoughts on the White Sox shooting off fireworks after wins?

FedEx227
04-07-2008, 11:45 AM
[/left]

Yeah I really fail to see how what they are doing is wrong.

Because we play Go Go-Go White Sox after a couple of big hits are we showing up the opponent?

Or when we blast off fireworks?

So what they play a team-related song after they win, we do it after we have a big rally and then we blow off fireworks when we win. What's the big difference?

btrain929
04-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Is there anything wrong with them playing that song after their wins? No.

Does it make about 90% of us want to throw up when we hear it or even think about it? Yes.

I was actually at the Cubs game with a friend yesterday, and had to hear the place erupt when Wood shut it down and they started playing that god forsaken song. I wanted to punch every person in the face on the way out. But, it's their stadium and their team.

I actually want them to keep playing the song to get their hopes up that this year is ACTUALLY FINALLY THE YEAR! Then their hopes and dreams will get crushed yet again in the final week of the season when they miss the playoffs, or when they get eliminated in the 1st round.

kittle42
04-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Is there anything wrong with them playing that song after their wins? No.

Does it make about 90% of us want to throw up when we hear it or even think about it? Yes.

I was actually at the Cubs game with a friend yesterday, and had to hear the place erupt when Wood shut it down and they started playing that god forsaken song. I wanted to punch every person in the face on the way out. But, it's their stadium and their team.

I actually want them to keep playing the song to get their hopes up that this year is ACTUALLY FINALLY THE YEAR! Then their hopes and dreams will get crushed yet again in the final week of the season when they miss the playoffs, or when they get eliminated in the 1st round.

Agreed on all counts. I was walking through the masses on my way to meet some friends right after the Cubs won on Saturday. These idiots really can grate on you.

russ99
04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Good points.

I guess as an Astros fan, it directly irritated me more than usual...

kittle42
04-07-2008, 12:19 PM
There's really no reason to complain about the song. It is *very* easy to make up better words to sing when the Cubs lose to the Sox, and to enjoy singing such words on the way out of their urine-stenched wonderland.

Sad
04-07-2008, 01:19 PM
What rock did you crawl out from under? They've been doing it for years. :whocares:

no kidding... get a hobby or something...

PatK
04-07-2008, 03:07 PM
I thought the fact that they are Cubs fans is reason to dislike them enough.

Hendu
04-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Very true. Aside from the great Sammy, whom I already hated from his Sox days, and Mr. Sky Pointer, there haven't been too many Cubs I have actively disliked.

I'm gonna add Bobby Howry to this list, if you don't mind.

MarySwiss
04-08-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm gonna add Bobby Howry to this list, if you don't mind.
I'll see your Howry and raise you a MIchael Barrett. :cool:

MsSoxVixen22
04-08-2008, 10:05 AM
I hate the Go Cubs go song. It's pretty lame to say the least! But as others have said who cares? We all know what to expect from the Cubs and their fans. I don't let it get to me. The only thing I care about is the White Sox. The only thing that does bother me because it's just plain ignorant is, when the opposing team hits a home run and the Cub fans throw the ball back. What you can't give the ball to a kid??

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
I hate the Go Cubs go song. It's pretty lame to say the least! But as others have said who cares? We all know what to expect from the Cubs and their fans. I don't let it get to me. The only thing I care about is the White Sox. The only thing that does bother me because it's just plain ignorant is, when the opposing team hits a home run and the Cub fans throw the ball back. What you can't give the ball to a kid??

I don't like the Cubs. I never have. I don't need new reasons.

soxpride724
04-08-2008, 02:28 PM

Yeah, I have to agree with you on that one. It is no wonder opposing players voted the urinal the worst place to play.

jenn2080
04-08-2008, 02:31 PM

*sigh*+

You are not alone.

Scottzilla
04-08-2008, 02:58 PM

SO? It's not like you have to hear it that often.

Soxfanspcu11
04-08-2008, 03:33 PM
IIRC, The White Sox started playing the "Go Go White Sox" song during the 2004 season. They started it at the beginning of the season and really hardly ever played it. Maybe they thought it would not catch on or that it was out of date or whatever. Then, after the 2004 All-Star break, they started playing it more and more.

And then, in the 2005 season, the song was played with regularity. At which point, it really caught on. It continued to be played a lot during the 2006 season, and on to 2007.

I may be wrong but I do not recall the scrubs playing that "Go cubs Go" song until 2007. Before that, it was NEVER played. Prior to them playing that after wins, they just played random music at the end of the game.

It is not even an argument that the scrubs stole the idea from the Sox. It's plain and simple.

However, I am not mad at them for it. I just view it as "whatever":rolleyes:

Anyone who knows anything knows that they got the idea from the Sox. One of My best friends who is a scrubs fan told me that he was pissed because they stole the idea from the Sox. He said it was cool that they played it after wins but was upset because they never would have played it after wins if the Sox had not started playing "Go Go White Sox" first.

kittle42
04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Anyone who knows anything knows that they got the idea from the Sox.

Oh, brother.

Uncle_Patrick
04-08-2008, 04:50 PM
SO? It's not like you have to hear it that often.
My friend has "Go Cubs Go" as his ringtone and it goes off every time he gets a text message, which is constantly.

Scottzilla
04-08-2008, 05:51 PM
you need new friends :)

ksimpson14
04-10-2008, 11:52 PM
See, perfect example on the front page of ESPN.com, "Streaking Cubs complete sweep of Pirates", it's the ****ing the Pirates! They play in a crap league/division, and when they, the big payroll team, do what they're supposed to do and beat them, everyone has a mediagasm. 'Oooo, this could be the year'. Then people act all shocked when the Diamondbacks ****ing embarrass them. When they lose 2 in a row next, the fans will be 'this is going no where, well, what would you expect, it's the Cubs *pan to fun loving smile*'

Ziggy S
04-11-2008, 12:49 AM
[/left]
I think it's a tremendously perverted symbol and not what family friendly organization like the Sox should promote. The White Sox promotions people should be ashamed for showcasing pent up, pleasuring explosions.

thomas35forever
04-11-2008, 01:42 AM
One thing I hate about Cubs fans is when their team has a better record than the Sox and they brag about it and say the usual "Sox suck" and "Cubs are better than the Sox" crap. Excuse me, but why should we care? The only time we should care about them winning or losing is when they play us. The Cubs could go 159-3 this year for all I care. I just want our Sox to get back to the playoffs.

Lefty34
04-11-2008, 02:17 AM

You can find this exact scene at any Fraternity party ever....GO CUBS...i guess...(yay alcoholism!)

Lefty34
04-11-2008, 02:23 AM
One thing I hate about Cubs fans is when their team has a better record than the Sox and they brag about it and say the usual "Sox suck" and "Cubs are better than the Sox" crap. Excuse me, but why should we care?

I have hear many of Cubs fans speak the phrase "Love your team more than you hate ours", and it works both ways: there are those of us Sox fans that do the same thing (not necessarily you, of course), but the response should be the same: let's see how we both do in our series and in our individual playoff races. Good call thoms35forever, let's just beat the crap out of the AL.

A. Cavatica
04-11-2008, 08:38 AM
What do they play after winning a World Series? :scratch:

white sox bill
04-11-2008, 08:44 AM
What do they play after winning a World Series? :scratch:
Now theres a question for an old timer!

SOXPHILE
04-11-2008, 11:19 AM
What did they play after game 3 of the 2007 NLDS ?

white sox bill
04-11-2008, 11:37 AM
"I'm a loser" by the Beatles

hi im skot
04-11-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure why this thread is so popular. We should be spending more time determining what Kerry Wood's entrance song should be.

white sox bill
04-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure why this thread is so popular. We should be spending more time determining what Kerry Wood's entrance song should be.

Hit me with your best shot...fire away!

RadioheadRocks
04-14-2008, 05:44 AM
I've never been one to advocate the website known as NorthsideBaseball.com, but I just took a look there today (yep, I looked so you don't have to!) and they actually renamed their "RIVALRIES" thread. The new name is (get this)... "DISCUSSION OF LESSER TEAMS"

:puking:

RadioheadRocks
04-14-2008, 05:56 AM

"Swept Away" by Diana Ross :rolling: