PDA

View Full Version : Anybody catch Baseball Tonight???

btrain929
04-05-2008, 11:06 PM
It was the first time I saw Chris Singleton on there. He actually impressed the heck out of me. He knew what he was talking about, gave some pretty good insight, and wasn't stumbling over every other word like Fernando Vina. Maybe the world's most perfect goatee gets in the way.....

I wish Chris the best, and hope it works out real well for him. I wish he could have tried a little harder to get Quentin's assist from LF on web gems, but oh well :D:

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2008, 11:42 PM
My brother told me that he said "The Sox are going to be a force to be reckoned with the AL Central." Just keep reminding them Chris! We'll let our play do most of the talking but just remind them what's going on here!!! :cool:

harwar
04-06-2008, 05:12 AM
I just had to stop watching "baseball tonight" some time back(a little TOO much yankees n red sox).
However;I am very pleased to hear that Singleton is doing well.I didn't dislike the guy he just was terrible in the booth.
Also,if he wasn't doing his time on that lousy show(bbtn)then i wouldn't have the extreme pleasure of listening to Steve Stone,who has brought life back into my radio during the White Sox games.
His intelligent and articulate portrayal of the game(in its entirety)makes the broadcast far superior to any in recent years.

Frontman
04-06-2008, 07:35 AM
I enjoyed Chris when he came on White Sox Weekly with the Ranger; as he obviously didn't feel the pressure of live-action radio and could just talk. I figured he'd do well.

rocky biddle
04-06-2008, 07:45 AM
It was the first time I saw Chris Singleton on there. He actually impressed the heck out of me. He knew what he was talking about, gave some pretty good insight, and wasn't stumbling over every other word like Fernando Vina. Maybe the world's most perfect goatee gets in the way.....

I wish Chris the best, and hope it works out real well for him. I wish he could have tried a little harder to get Quentin's assist from LF on web gems, but oh well :D:

He'll never fit in on ESPN that way. Did he at least yell for no reason or mention the east coast teams in a conversation that had nothing to do with them?

Garland_IS_God
04-06-2008, 08:09 AM
I also would like to wish Chris the best of luck. He was always a class act everytime I seen him at the Cell. I met him last year in Cleveland, and he was down to Earth, and appreciated all the support the fans gave to the Sox. If things don't work out at ESPN, hopefully he'd be willing to come back to the radio, and Steve Stone can return to the TV broadcast booth.

Max Power
04-06-2008, 08:37 AM
He'll never fit in on ESPN that way. Did he at least yell for no reason or mention the east coast teams in a conversation that had nothing to do with them?

Exactly what I was going to say. I haven't watched BT in years, but maybe I'll try to stomach it to catch Singleton.

tick53
04-06-2008, 09:22 AM
My brother told me that he said "The Sox are going to be a force to be reckoned with the AL Central." Just keep reminding them Chris! We'll let our play do most of the talking but just remind them what's going on here!!! :cool:

Amen! Maybe we can get a little recognition through Chris. (unless there's the all-important Barry Bonds story)

bigfoot
04-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Strange....how CS seems like an intelligent, insightful analyst when he doesn't have a cloud sitting next to him.

lizard6king6
04-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Vina makes him look good. I dont even know why Vina is on there. ANyhow, he did do a good job. I hope he keeps it up. I wonder how often hes going to be on there now?

gobears1987
04-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I enjoyed Chris when he came on White Sox Weekly with the Ranger; as he obviously didn't feel the pressure of live-action radio and could just talk. I figured he'd do well.
Not being next to Farmer always helps.

Brian26
04-06-2008, 10:49 AM
If things don't work out at ESPN, hopefully he'd be willing to come back to the radio, and Steve Stone can return to the TV broadcast booth.

You're saying Singleton is such a talent that the Sox would save a position for him in the radio booth, moving Stone to television and either firing Hawk or DJ, all because Stone would be terrible enough to fail with ESPN, even though there's about a 100% consensus opinion here that Farmer and Stone are phenomenal together so far. :?:

Brian26
04-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Strange....how CS seems like an intelligent, insightful analyst when he doesn't have a cloud sitting next to him.

That's intended to be a knock on Farmer, but he certainly never affected the performance of Steve Stone or John Rooney. Maybe Singleton didn't have the talent to overcome Farmer like the other two guys.

Scottiehaswheels
04-06-2008, 10:59 AM
That's intended to be a knock on Farmer, but he certainly never affected the performance of Steve Stone or John Rooney. Maybe Singleton didn't have the talent to overcome Farmer like the other two guys.I think it has more to do with Rooney/Stone being better broadcasters than Farmer and Farmio knows it, so he doesn't/didn't try to bully them. Singleton OTOH was demeaned a lot by Farmer as I think Farmer thinks he is/was better than him.

Just my take....

ksimpson14
04-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Quentin's throw made it on SportsCenter top plays

I saw Singleton on a ESPNEWS baseball segment, he looked good. He had a little bit of a nervous type of look, but it translated fine as it came out perfectly verbally, no pauses or stammering or anything like that, and he follows the rest of the league fine, so he knew what he was talking about.

Garland_IS_God
04-06-2008, 11:16 AM
You're saying Singleton is such a talent that the Sox would save a position for him in the radio booth, moving Stone to television and either firing Hawk or DJ, all because Stone would be terrible enough to fail with ESPN, even though there's about a 100% consensus opinion here that Farmer and Stone are phenomenal together so far. :?:

Im not a fan of Ed Farmer...I'd rather listen to Stone than Hawk...thats for sure.

SoxGirl4Life
04-06-2008, 11:32 AM
I agree he sounded good. But to me, it looked like he borrowed his suit from someone a little bigger than him. :shrug:

I was glad he gave the Sox some love. :D:

Frontman
04-06-2008, 11:57 AM
I think it has more to do with Rooney/Stone being better broadcasters than Farmer and Farmio knows it, so he doesn't/didn't try to bully them. Singleton OTOH was demeaned a lot by Farmer as I think Farmer thinks he is/was better than him.

Just my take....

I also think Chris took the brunt of Ed's frustrations with Rooney leaving the organization. It's not fair, but it might be how Ed viewed him.

Lip Man 1
04-06-2008, 12:23 PM
I haven't caught even a glimpse of Baseball Tonight in the past two seasons and I don't regret it in the slightest.

The Baseball Tonight of today is light years removed from when the show was worth a damn and when they had "analysts" who knew what they were doing, could speak clearly and talked about the game instead of themselves in a series of one line "cut up's" I'm talking about people like Jim Kaat, the late Bill Robinson and Ray Knight.

Lip

BainesHOF
04-06-2008, 01:11 PM
With Singleton performing so well out of the gate on ESPN, I think you have to take a look at how Farmer hampered him in our radio booth.

By the way, the current radio broadcast needs to settle down. Farmer and Stone are zig-zagging all over the place in erratic fashion. Once again, I think this goes to Farmer. Stone makes an observation or a joke, and Farmer has to immediately fire back with something, often with something unrelated, as if to throw Stone off track or show everyone that he's still the boss. I'm getting a headache listening to the broadcast.

It's Dankerific
04-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Quentin's throw made it on SportsCenter top plays

I saw Singleton on a ESPNEWS baseball segment, he looked good. He had a little bit of a nervous type of look, but it translated fine as it came out perfectly verbally, no pauses or stammering or anything like that, and he follows the rest of the league fine, so he knew what he was talking about.

What the **** is wrong with ESPN? I watch 90 minutes of Baseball tonight, and they spend a bunch of time on telling me how detroit sucks, but doesn't show the Quentin play, but on Sportscenter which I don't watch because I could care less about the NCAA or hockey, or NBA they show the play? what a joke.

kba
04-06-2008, 02:37 PM
With Singleton performing so well out of the gate on ESPN, I think you have to take a look at how Farmer hampered him in our radio booth.

Granted, Farmer didn't do a lot to help Singleton succeed in the booth, but doing radio play-by-play takes a whole different set of skills than being an in-studio analyst on Baseball Tonight. There are a lot of guys who can do twenty seconds of insightful analysis on ESPN when they know the questions in advance and maybe have worked with a producer to help craft their comments.

Doing radio play-by-play means anchoring the broadcast and painting a clear verbal picture of what's happening on the field, plus seamlessly trying to work in all the station IDs, team promos, sponsor tags, etc. From what I heard, I don't Chris could have ever developed those skills, no matter who was working beside him.

turners56
04-06-2008, 03:15 PM

Actually, Stoney and Hawk for the TV booth wouldn't be so bad. Two completely different personalities. DJ is a terrible analyst, Hawk's the play by play and he does a better job than DJ.

And a note on Farmer, he sure has a bit more swagger this year. When Rooney was with him, Ed was a dead stone statue that barely talked. But I've noticed a much more energetic side to Farmio this year, he's actually excited when the Sox win.

AZChiSoxFan
04-07-2008, 11:13 AM

Totally agree. I've enjoyed watching and listening to CS on Baseball Tonight this year.

Gee, I wonder why he seemed so bad on the Sox broadcasts last year?

hawkjt
04-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I just think this gig is better for Chris's skill-set. He is far sharper than he came off in the radio booth. Some of it was inexperience ,some of it was Ed, whatever...

But he is really made for his current role...and he is doing well. He has a face for TV(very handsome) and is more than a pretty boy ex-jock. He has always been articulate even as a player. Good luck to him.